Shipping not included.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

SubjectAuthor
* FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?alvey
+- FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Yosemite Sam
`* FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?keithr0
 +- FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Xeno
 `* FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Noddy
  +* FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Xeno
  |`* FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Yosemite Sam
  | `* FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Xeno
  |  `* FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Yosemite Sam
  |   `* FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Yosemite Sam
  |    `- FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Clocky
  +- FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?alvey
  `- FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?Clocky

1
FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<1gjlczi1wzyu6.1pjqrf3lcyok8.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7886&group=aus.cars#7886

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:47:08 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 01:47 UTC

https://www.fixd.com/

Would it be a better diagnostician than an unqualified backyard blowhard?

alvey

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<j0g6mrFs1eiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7891&group=aus.cars#7891

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:11:32 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 02:11 UTC

On 28/11/2021 12:47 pm, alvey wrote:
> https://www.fixd.com/
>
> Would it be a better diagnostician than an unqualified backyard blowhard?

it's probably a simplified domestic version of what dealers use when
they service your car and charge you $350.

(I'm getting my Lancer serviced on Tuesday. fixed price servicing $230 )

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<j0glcjF2fnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7897&group=aus.cars#7897

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 16:20:01 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 06:20 UTC

On 28/11/2021 11:47 am, alvey wrote:

> https://www.fixd.com/
>
> Would it be a better diagnostician than an unqualified backyard blowhard?
>

> alvey

It's just an ELM 327 adapter, probably a Chinese knockoff, you can get
them for 30 bucks or less, and a phone app. There are plenty of phone
apps to choose from on Google play.

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<j0gpddFq41U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7898&group=aus.cars#7898

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 18:28:42 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 07:28 UTC

On 28/11/21 5:20 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 11:47 am, alvey wrote:
>>
>> https://www.fixd.com/
>>
>> Would it be a better diagnostician than an unqualified backyard blowhard?
>>

>> alvey
>>
> It's just an ELM 327 adapter, probably a Chinese knockoff, you can get
> them for 30 bucks or less, and a phone app. There are plenty of phone
> apps to choose from on Google play.

It's the apps that determine how useful the OBDII adapter ultimately is.
The free apps are too basic, some of the paid apps not much better. What
I find with the cheapie ELM327 adapters is that they have a bit of lag
and that can be off-putting on live data.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<snvf42$pfl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7900&group=aus.cars#7900

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:37:22 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 08:37 UTC

On 28/11/2021 5:20 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 11:47 am, alvey wrote:
>>
>> https://www.fixd.com/
>>
>> Would it be a better diagnostician than an unqualified backyard blowhard?
>>

>> alvey
>>
> It's just an ELM 327 adapter, probably a Chinese knockoff, you can get
> them for 30 bucks or less, and a phone app. There are plenty of phone
> apps to choose from on Google play.

Yep. Nothing special. Not that Alvey would have any idea :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<j0gu0rF1ktoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7904&group=aus.cars#7904

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:47:21 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 08:47 UTC

On 28/11/21 7:37 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 5:20 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 28/11/2021 11:47 am, alvey wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.fixd.com/
>>>
>>> Would it be a better diagnostician than an unqualified backyard
>>> blowhard?
>>>

>>> alvey
>>>
>> It's just an ELM 327 adapter, probably a Chinese knockoff, you can get
>> them for 30 bucks or less, and a phone app. There are plenty of phone
>> apps to choose from on Google play.
>
> Yep. Nothing special. Not that Alvey would have any idea :)

Yeah but Alvey isn't making fake claims to be a motor mechanic either.
OTOH, *you* do that a lot, along with equally fake claims to be an auto
machinist and an aircraft mechanic (you claimed to have completed all
the TAFE college work, remember?). Oh the bullshit you utter. Then
there's that equally fake claim of you running an automotive business
for 15+ years and being a member of the VACC for 20+ years. All FAKE.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<j0h0liF24jiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7907&group=aus.cars#7907

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:34:32 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 09:34 UTC

On 28/11/2021 7:47 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 28/11/21 7:37 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It's just an ELM 327 adapter, probably a Chinese knockoff, you can
>>> get them for 30 bucks or less, and a phone app. There are plenty of
>>> phone apps to choose from on Google play.
>>
>> Yep. Nothing special. Not that Alvey would have any idea :)
>>
> Yeah but Alvey isn't making fake claims to be a motor mechanic either.

amazing that such things need to be pointed out, isn't it. Alvey isn't
claiming automotive knowledge comparable to a mechanic.

> OTOH, *you* do that a lot, along with equally fake claims to be an
> auto machinist and an aircraft mechanic (you claimed to have completed
> all the TAFE college work, remember?). Oh the bullshit you utter. Then
> there's that equally fake claim of you running an automotive business
> for 15+ years and being a member of the VACC for 20+ years. All FAKE.

yep all fake!

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<j0h3j5F2m3pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7908&group=aus.cars#7908

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 21:22:26 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:22 UTC

On 28/11/21 8:34 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 7:47 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> Yep. Nothing special. Not that Alvey would have any idea :)
>>>
>> Yeah but Alvey isn't making fake claims to be a motor mechanic either.
>

> amazing that such things need to be pointed out, isn't it. Alvey isn't
> claiming automotive knowledge comparable to a mechanic.

What's more, Alvey was merely *asking a question*. That little detail
seems to have been overlooked. FWIW, I use the ELM 327 adapter connected
to my iPad so I can mosey on down the road and *collect live data* and
display it on a larger screen. My Scantool has only a small screen and
does not *collect* live data as such. Horses for courses really.

In answer to the question originally posed, any OBDII adapter still
relies on the diagnostician operating it to know what they are doing.
It's that knowledge and training that Darren lacks so the ELM327 would
be nigh on useless in his hands for all save reading error codes. Once
Darren has those, he can use his trusted friend and ally, Google, to see
what those codes actually mean. Of course, having the codes, and knowing
what they mean, does not a diagnostician make. The diagnostician would
then need to test the equipment related to the codes and that is where
Darren would come sadly unstuck and, I might add, why he sticks to 50+
year old vehicles that were introduced prior to the advent of the
automotive ECU.

>> OTOH, *you* do that a lot, along with equally fake claims to be an
>> auto machinist and an aircraft mechanic (you claimed to have completed
>> all the TAFE college work, remember?). Oh the bullshit you utter. Then
>> there's that equally fake claim of you running an automotive business
>> for 15+ years and being a member of the VACC for 20+ years. All FAKE.
>>

> yep all fake!

100% solid rolled gold fake! ;-)

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<j0hd5qF4dsqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7914&group=aus.cars#7914

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 00:08:00 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:08 UTC

On 28/11/2021 9:22 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 28/11/21 8:34 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> Yeah but Alvey isn't making fake claims to be a motor mechanic either.
>>

>> amazing that such things need to be pointed out, isn't it. Alvey
>> isn't claiming automotive knowledge comparable to a mechanic.
>>
> What's more, Alvey was merely *asking a question*. That little detail
> seems to have been overlooked.

amazing isn't it. apart from being in the gutter, their minds operate at
such a low level, any normal communication with them is impossible, as
that maggot lindsay is proving right now.

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<j0hdusF4ig0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7918&group=aus.cars#7918

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 00:21:22 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:21 UTC

On 29/11/2021 12:08 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> [...]

and he hates you rubbing his nose in it

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<64nqesw4z2ic.172i3gho4ljfk$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7925&group=aus.cars#7925

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 06:23:20 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:23 UTC

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 19:37:22 +1100, Noddy wrote:

> On 28/11/2021 5:20 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 28/11/2021 11:47 am, alvey wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.fixd.com/
>>>
>>> Would it be a better diagnostician than an unqualified backyard blowhard?
>>>

>>> alvey
>>>
>> It's just an ELM 327 adapter, probably a Chinese knockoff, you can get
>> them for 30 bucks or less, and a phone app. There are plenty of phone
>> apps to choose from on Google play.
>
> Yep. Nothing special. Not that Alvey would have any idea :)

Annnnd here's the Fraudster! As predictable as Scott Morrison bellowing
bullshit.

Anyway Fraudster, so what? I'm not making any claims and the name of this
group is aus.cars. Crikey! You don't even own a proper 'car'. Bozo.

alvey

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<so1uvg$87q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7953&group=aus.cars#7953

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:20:16 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:20 UTC

On 28/11/2021 4:37 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 28/11/2021 5:20 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 28/11/2021 11:47 am, alvey wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.fixd.com/
>>>
>>> Would it be a better diagnostician than an unqualified backyard
>>> blowhard?
>>>

>>> alvey
>>>
>> It's just an ELM 327 adapter, probably a Chinese knockoff, you can get
>> them for 30 bucks or less, and a phone app. There are plenty of phone
>> apps to choose from on Google play.
>
> Yep. Nothing special. Not that Alvey would have any idea :)

Well, neither do you. The difference being that Alvey isn't claiming to
be a qualified mechanic.

Re: FIXD - The Future? Or just another Shonky contender?

<so3uuo$3dc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7976&group=aus.cars#7976

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 09:32:00 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 01:32 UTC

On 28/11/2021 9:21 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> and he hates you rubbing his nose in it

Quickest way to get in his killfail is to point out some home truths.