Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 09:55:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Traffic Wales South apologises for telling cyclists not to ride at night
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 May 2021 16:55 UTC

Traffic Wales South deleted its tweet promptly after receiving a backlash for saying cyclists should avoid riding at night. The traffic monitoring group was accused of victim-blaming and missing the point over the list of 'five safe tips for being a bicyclist', which included: "avoid riding at night".

In response, the group apologised and said what they really meant was to "avoid cycling at night without lights".

"We sincerely apologise," Traffic Wales South tweeted. "We intended to say please avoid cycling at night without lights, high vis etc. We want to encourage all everyone to access our network safely by sharing safety advice that is useful for all road users."

The original tweet was ridiculed on Twitter and got plenty of attention in the comments on our original story too...

Wycombewheeler said: "I know Wales is further west than where I live, but I'm fairly sure people still finish work after sunset in the winter. Are these people suggesting cyclists should be allowed to leave work earlier, because they think it is impossible to keep the roads safe during the hours of darkness?"

hawkinspeter suggested some extra 'safe tips': "Ensure that drivers behind you are paying attention and aren't listening to music. Only cycle where there aren't any cars or lorries. If a car is behind you, carefully dismount and doff your cap as you allow them to speed past you."

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-24-may-2021-283583#live-blog-item-25037

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Traffic Wales South apologises for telling cyclists not to ride at night