Man is by nature a political animal. -- Aristotle

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Handy Drinking Water

SubjectAuthor
* Handy Drinking Waterjohn curzon
+* Re: Handy Drinking WaterMartin Brown
|`* Re: Handy Drinking WaterScott
| `* Re: Handy Drinking WaterMartin Brown
|  `- Re: Handy Drinking WaterScott
+- Re: Handy Drinking Waterrick
+- Re: Handy Drinking WaterBrian
+* Re: Handy Drinking WaterColin Bignell
|`* Re: Handy Drinking WaterTim+
| +* Re: Handy Drinking WaterColin Bignell
| |`* Re: Handy Drinking WaterTim+
| | `* Re: Handy Drinking WaterColin Bignell
| |  `* Re: Handy Drinking WaterScott
| |   +- Re: Handy Drinking WaterColin Bignell
| |   `* Re: Handy Drinking Waterchop
| |    `* Re: Handy Drinking WaterMax Demian
| |     `* Re: Handy Drinking Waterchop
| |      `- Re: Handy Drinking WaterMax Demian
| `- Re: Handy Drinking Waterchop
+- Re: Handy Drinking WaterJeff Layman
+- Re: Handy Drinking WaterAndrew
+* Re: Handy Drinking WaterNick Odell
|`- Re: Handy Drinking WaterMichael Chare
`* Re: Handy Drinking WaterPeter Johnson
 `- Re: Handy Drinking WaterAndrew

1
Handy Drinking Water

<099bd757-e4c5-4c4c-8c96-a57af01ce56en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80680&group=uk.d-i-y#80680

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 06:28:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Handy Drinking Water
From: kirby...@gmail.com (john curzon)
 by: john curzon - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 14:28 UTC

I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
What is the best way to store tap water ?

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tmsvcb$qld$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80682&group=uk.d-i-y#80682

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Handy Drinking Water
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:20:37 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:20 UTC

On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
> What is the best way to store tap water ?

Swap the water out every 2 months or so - more often in summer.
Tapwater isn't sterile so whatever goes into the container stays there
and multiplies. It always amazed me that biofilms would form inside the
vessels containing the purest distilled water we can make. NASA finds it
something of an inconvenience for water recycling in space too.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0734242X9190077K

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tmsvn3$u3q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80683&group=uk.d-i-y#80683

From: rick_hug...@_remove_btconnect.com (rick)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:26:26 +0000
 by: rick - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:26 UTC

On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
> What is the best way to store tap water ?

There isn't ... unless you include ice cubes

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tmt0b3$t2ao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80685&group=uk.d-i-y#80685

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:37:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:T3S6AN6W3+z5bb1r/DECgbfbp6c=
 by: Brian - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:37 UTC

john curzon <kirbyx95@gmail.com> wrote:
> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it
> stored it in a metal flask.
> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely
> and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark
> environments. But it still looks alright ?
> What is the best way to store tap water ?

Buy a can of water every few months and replace it. You can buy canned
water in Tesco.

Bottled water may keep, check the dates on the bottles.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<6dOdnSfaw59wmg_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80689&group=uk.d-i-y#80689

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:51:08 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:51 UTC

On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
> What is the best way to store tap water ?

Run the tap for at least a minute before filling your container. That
should ensure that you get mains drinking water and not water that has
been standing in your pipes, breeding bacteria. Drop a couple of water
sterilising tablets in before sealing the container. Change the water
every few months.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tmt1tu$r4o7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80693&group=uk.d-i-y#80693

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 16:04:14 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 16:04 UTC

On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
> What is the best way to store tap water ?

If you're really concerned, boil a kettle of water. When it's boiling,
flush out the metal flask with some of it. Then fill the flask with more
boiling water and seal. Leave to cool. Whether it will still taste the
same - or not - as fresh cold tap water I can't say.

--

Jeff

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<2000538522.692219358.102598.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80713&group=uk.d-i-y#80713

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Dec 2022 19:12:11 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:12 UTC

Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:
> On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
>> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it
>> stored it in a metal flask.
>> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely
>> and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark
>> environments. But it still looks alright ?
>> What is the best way to store tap water ?
>
> Run the tap for at least a minute before filling your container. That
> should ensure that you get mains drinking water and not water that has
> been standing in your pipes, breeding bacteria. Drop a couple of water
> sterilising tablets in before sealing the container. Change the water
> every few months.

Or just buy a bottle of water from a shop. I don’t normally approve of
bottled water but if you’re keeping a supply for emergencies in your boot,
pre-bottled water will keep much longer. A lot depends on just how long
you might it expect to be festering in your boot for.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<TcCdnf_HiaFR3Q_-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80719&group=uk.d-i-y#80719

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:53:48 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:53 UTC

On 08/12/2022 19:12, Tim+ wrote:
> Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
>>> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it
>>> stored it in a metal flask.
>>> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely
>>> and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>>> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark
>>> environments. But it still looks alright ?
>>> What is the best way to store tap water ?
>>
>> Run the tap for at least a minute before filling your container. That
>> should ensure that you get mains drinking water and not water that has
>> been standing in your pipes, breeding bacteria. Drop a couple of water
>> sterilising tablets in before sealing the container. Change the water
>> every few months.
>>

> Or just buy a bottle of water from a shop. I don’t normally approve of
> bottled water but if you’re keeping a supply for emergencies in your boot,
> pre-bottled water will keep much longer.

Why should it last any longer than water prepared the way I suggest?

> A lot depends on just how long
> you might it expect to be festering in your boot for.

If you use water purification tablets, it shouldn't fester at all.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<1029472668.692224139.071431.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80720&group=uk.d-i-y#80720

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Dec 2022 20:31:22 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 20:31 UTC

Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:
> On 08/12/2022 19:12, Tim+ wrote:
>> Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Run the tap for at least a minute before filling your container. That
>>> should ensure that you get mains drinking water and not water that has
>>> been standing in your pipes, breeding bacteria. Drop a couple of water
>>> sterilising tablets in before sealing the container. Change the water
>>> every few months.
>>>

>> Or just buy a bottle of water from a shop. I don’t normally approve of
>> bottled water but if you’re keeping a supply for emergencies in your boot,
>> pre-bottled water will keep much longer.
>
> Why should it last any longer than water prepared the way I suggest?
>
>> A lot depends on just how long
>> you might it expect to be festering in your boot for.
>
> If you use water purification tablets, it shouldn't fester at all.

First get your purification tablets. Right, I’m sure I have some here
somewhere… Nope, off to town to an outside door shop to buy something I’m
gonna use once in a blue moon, OR, I buy a bottle of water from just about
anywhere.

Seriously, not worth the hassle.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<at2dnZxhpL6-ww_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80723&group=uk.d-i-y#80723

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 21:58:59 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 21:58 UTC

On 08/12/2022 20:31, Tim+ wrote:
> Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Or just buy a bottle of water from a shop. I don’t normally approve of
>>> bottled water but if you’re keeping a supply for emergencies in your boot,
>>> pre-bottled water will keep much longer.
>>
>> Why should it last any longer than water prepared the way I suggest?
>>
>>> A lot depends on just how long
>>> you might it expect to be festering in your boot for.
>>
>> If you use water purification tablets, it shouldn't fester at all.
>>

> First get your purification tablets. Right, I’m sure I have some here
> somewhere… Nope, off to town to an outside door shop

Amazon is simpler.

> to buy something I’m
> gonna use once in a blue moon,

I find them quite useful to have around. Then again, I drink a lot of
tap water with added CO2 and the pressure bottles need occasional
sterilisation to avoid becoming musty.

> OR, I buy a bottle of water from just about
> anywhere.

If you enjoy an extra dose of plastic microparticles.

> Seriously, not worth the hassle.

You obviously lack the prepper gene.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tmtoov$82t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80725&group=uk.d-i-y#80725

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 22:34:07 +0000
 by: Andrew - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 22:34 UTC

On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
> What is the best way to store tap water ?

Keep two cylinders of Hydrogen and Oxygen and make your
own on demand.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<oo05phtuqnsqaipmhaqm393m3vds65l8fr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80730&group=uk.d-i-y#80730

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 00:44:25 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 00:44 UTC

On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 06:28:36 -0800 (PST), john curzon
<kirbyx95@gmail.com> wrote:

>I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
>Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
>What is the best way to store tap water ?

I'm not in the UK right now and out here we have similar issues caused
by an unreliable electricity supply which often causes the water
supply to shut down.

Our routine is to keep several bottles of fresh tap water on the
premises, use the oldest to water the houseplants then refill the
bottle and put it at the back of the queue. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe you could do something similar? Use the bottled water from the
car whenever you want to wash the lights, plates and windscreen then
put a fresh bottle back into the boot afterwards?

Nick

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<5n06ph9mcqlt6efsnqabl9q287a78rn7mu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80747&group=uk.d-i-y#80747

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:42:35 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 09:42 UTC

On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 21:58:59 +0000, Colin Bignell
<cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>On 08/12/2022 20:31, Tim+ wrote:
>> Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Why should it last any longer than water prepared the way I suggest?

>>> If you use water purification tablets, it shouldn't fester at all.
>>>

>> First get your purification tablets. Right, I’m sure I have some here
>> somewhere… Nope, off to town to an outside door shop
>
>Amazon is simpler.

I say support local shops. Use it or lose it.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<so06phl54hgp6dhv5pcapkf7sfff2svbdg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80748&group=uk.d-i-y#80748

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:43:46 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 09:43 UTC

On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:20:37 +0000, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
>> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
>> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
>> What is the best way to store tap water ?
>
>Swap the water out every 2 months or so

My Brita filter unit say to use the water within 48 hours. Does
unfiltered water last longer?

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tmv0v9$rb8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80750&group=uk.d-i-y#80750

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 10:00:03 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 10:00 UTC

On 09/12/2022 09:43, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:20:37 +0000, Martin Brown
> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
>>> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
>>> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>>> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
>>> What is the best way to store tap water ?
>>
>> Swap the water out every 2 months or so
>
> My Brita filter unit say to use the water within 48 hours. Does
> unfiltered water last longer?

Filtered water practically guarantees there will be photosynthetic algae
and bacteria in it (especially if the jug is in sunlight). Water from
the tap once it has run for a short while is fairly clean. It goes
downhill from the moment that you put it in a non-sterile bottle.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<usSdneDCHr0TlA7-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80752&group=uk.d-i-y#80752

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 10:10:22 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 10:10 UTC

On 09/12/2022 09:42, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 21:58:59 +0000, Colin Bignell
> <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>>> First get your purification tablets. Right, I’m sure I have some here
>>> somewhere… Nope, off to town to an outside door shop
>>
>> Amazon is simpler.
>>
> I say support local shops. Use it or lose it.

Always assuming that you have a local shop selling what you want.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<9l56phpronkfki8d9ihnnotukn372u67v7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80759&group=uk.d-i-y#80759

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 11:06:38 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 11:06 UTC

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 10:00:03 +0000, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 09/12/2022 09:43, Scott wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:20:37 +0000, Martin Brown
>> <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Swap the water out every 2 months or so
>>
>> My Brita filter unit say to use the water within 48 hours. Does
>> unfiltered water last longer?
>
>Filtered water practically guarantees there will be photosynthetic algae
>and bacteria in it (especially if the jug is in sunlight). Water from
>the tap once it has run for a short while is fairly clean. It goes
>downhill from the moment that you put it in a non-sterile bottle.

Thanks. This makes sense.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<6ql6ph9vupfo4efgv8jgr8fm5uf4cb8gqj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80795&group=uk.d-i-y#80795

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 15:43:50 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 15:43 UTC

<kirbyx95@gmail.com> wrote:

>I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
>Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
>What is the best way to store tap water ?

I keep four bottles in a cooler box obtained from Halfords a few years
ago, permanently connected to a cigar lighter socket so it's chilled
whenever I go out.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tmvtq6$gsp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80807&group=uk.d-i-y#80807

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 18:12:22 +0000
 by: Andrew - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 18:12 UTC

On 09/12/2022 15:43, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 06:28:36 -0800 (PST), john curzon
> <kirbyx95@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
>> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
>> What is the best way to store tap water ?
>
> I keep four bottles in a cooler box obtained from Halfords a few years
> ago, permanently connected to a cigar lighter socket so it's chilled
> whenever I go out.

What happens when you are not using the car and it is 35C outside
though ?. How often do you empty and refill those bottles with
fresh water ?.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<op.1wy1h8mznuhhzz@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80946&group=uk.d-i-y#80946

From: chop...@gmail.com (chop)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 04:28:46 +1100
 by: chop - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 17:28 UTC

On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 06:12:11 +1100, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Colin Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 08/12/2022 14:28, john curzon wrote:
>>> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it
>>> stored it in a metal flask.
>>> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely
>>> and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>>> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and
>>> dark
>>> environments. But it still looks alright ?
>>> What is the best way to store tap water ?
>>
>> Run the tap for at least a minute before filling your container. That
>> should ensure that you get mains drinking water and not water that has
>> been standing in your pipes, breeding bacteria. Drop a couple of water
>> sterilising tablets in before sealing the container. Change the water
>> every few months.
>>

> Or just buy a bottle of water from a shop. I don’t normally approve of
> bottled water but if you’re keeping a supply for emergencies in your
> boot,
> pre-bottled water will keep much longer. A lot depends on just how long
> you might it expect to be festering in your boot for.

I don't have it there for emergencys, I have it there for drinking
when not at home.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<op.1wzelxufnuhhzz@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80966&group=uk.d-i-y#80966

From: chop...@gmail.com (chop)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 09:11:47 +1100
 by: chop - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 22:11 UTC

On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 20:42:35 +1100, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 21:58:59 +0000, Colin Bignell
> <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>>> First get your purification tablets. Right, I’m sure I have some here
>>> somewhere… Nope, off to town to an outside door shop
>>
>> Amazon is simpler.
>>
> I say support local shops.

I don't.

> Use it or lose it.

I am happy to lose it. Just tried to get some blank DVDs locally
and discovered that no one has them in stock anymore.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tn4hcr$1ua9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81024&group=uk.d-i-y#81024

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:11:08 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:11 UTC

On 10/12/2022 22:11, chop wrote:

> I am happy to lose it. Just tried to get some blank DVDs locally
> and discovered that no one has them in stock anymore.

Poundland has them in small quantities. And skinny cases.

--
Max Demian

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<op.1w01d8z8nuhhzz@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81068&group=uk.d-i-y#81068

From: chop...@gmail.com (chop)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 06:21:34 +1100
 by: chop - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 19:21 UTC

On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:11:08 +1100, Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

> On 10/12/2022 22:11, chop wrote:
>
>> I am happy to lose it. Just tried to get some blank DVDs locally
>> and discovered that no one has them in stock anymore.
>
> Poundland has them in small quantities. And skinny cases.

Never had much luck with the cheapest DVD blanks
and I needed dual layer too.

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tn7g0e$27u7m$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81143&group=uk.d-i-y#81143

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 15:05:50 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 15:05 UTC

On 11/12/2022 19:21, chop wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:11:08 +1100, Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com>
> wrote:
>> On 10/12/2022 22:11, chop wrote:
>>
>>> I am happy to lose it. Just tried to get some blank DVDs locally
>>> and discovered that no one has them in stock anymore.
>>
>> Poundland has them in small quantities. And skinny cases.
>
> Never had much luck with the cheapest DVD blanks
> and I needed dual layer too.

Well buy 'em online.

--
Max Demian

Re: Handy Drinking Water

<tn7gti$ah2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81146&group=uk.d-i-y#81146

From: mUNDERSC...@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 15:21:19 +0000
 by: Michael Chare - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 15:21 UTC

On 09/12/2022 00:44, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 06:28:36 -0800 (PST), john curzon
> <kirbyx95@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask.
>> Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been kept in there for a year.
>> Someone has just pointed out to me that Mould grows in airless and dark environments. But it still looks alright ?
>> What is the best way to store tap water ?
>
> I'm not in the UK right now and out here we have similar issues caused
> by an unreliable electricity supply which often causes the water
> supply to shut down.

The OP did not mention where the car was kept. When I was in the UAE I
used to keep am bottle of water bought from a shop, in the boot for
emergency use. Fortunately I never had to use it.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Handy Drinking Water