The surest sign that a man is in love is when he divorces his wife.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

SubjectAuthor
* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereyjeremy
+* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereynospam
|`* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereyjeremy
| `* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereynospam
|  `- Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereyjeremy
+- Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyChris
+* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyGraham J
|+* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereynospam
||`* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereyjeremy
|| `* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyChris
||  +* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyAlan B
||  |`* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyChris
||  | `* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereynospam
||  |  `* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyChris
||  |   `* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereynospam
||  |    `* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyChris
||  |     `* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereynospam
||  |      `* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyChris
||  |       `- Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereynospam
||  `- Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereynospam
|`* Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Montereyjeremy
| `- Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereyGraham J
`- Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / MontereySara Merriman

1
Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<jbj2hjF7oihU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7706&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7706

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey
Date: 11 Apr 2022 16:15:47 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:15 UTC

Last couple of weeks on 3 occasuions my internet access has just stopped - no
access to web sites etc. Never seen that behaviour before, usually this thing
is rock solid.

If I turn wifi off and then on again (on the MacBook), it reconnects to home
wifi network and carries on perfectly.

Anyone seen anythign similar? Is there a log file that I could look at that
might shed some light on what is happening?

cheers

jeremy

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<110420221325408025%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7710&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7710

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:25:40 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:25 UTC

In article <jbj2hjF7oihU1@mid.individual.net>, jeremy
<jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last couple of weeks on 3 occasuions my internet access has just stopped - no
> access to web sites etc. Never seen that behaviour before, usually this thing
> is rock solid.
>
> If I turn wifi off and then on again (on the MacBook), it reconnects to home
> wifi network and carries on perfectly.
>
> Anyone seen anythign similar? Is there a log file that I could look at that
> might shed some light on what is happening?

that happened to me and it was my wifi access point that was the
problem.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t31spp$uhk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7728&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7728

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:42:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Z4GyqbYACSi7xOx8zk0XoNfo5Qs=
 by: Chris - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 18:42 UTC

jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last couple of weeks on 3 occasuions my internet access has just stopped - no
> access to web sites etc. Never seen that behaviour before, usually this thing
> is rock solid.
>
> If I turn wifi off and then on again (on the MacBook), it reconnects to home
> wifi network and carries on perfectly.
>
> Anyone seen anythign similar? Is there a log file that I could look at that
> might shed some light on what is happening?

Try rebooting the router. They can act really oddly sometimes.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t31v1r$idr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7741&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7741

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:20:25 +0100
 by: Graham J - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:20 UTC

jeremy wrote:
> Last couple of weeks on 3 occasuions my internet access has just stopped - no
> access to web sites etc. Never seen that behaviour before, usually this thing
> is rock solid.
>
> If I turn wifi off and then on again (on the MacBook), it reconnects to home
> wifi network and carries on perfectly.
>
> Anyone seen anything similar? Is there a log file that I could look at that
> might shed some light on what is happening?

Step 1: Eliminate the WiFi as the cause of the problem - connect a
computer to the router using an Ethernet cable. In the long tern, NEVER
USE WIFI WHENYOU NEED RELIABILITY.

Step 2: Use that computer to monitor the web page in the router.
Depending on the router, the page will update itself every few seconds
to show whether it has connectivity

Step 3: On that computer, ping a public IP addres continuously. Your
ISP's time server would be a good choice. ( eg Plusnet ntp.plus.net =
212.159.6.10 ). If you ever see that fail for several consecutive
tries, then probably your connection has failed.

Step 4: Automate step 3 with a ping monitoring utility. Google for
recommendations, or ask here.

You may then find that you have a continuously good connection, but you
can't get websites. This suggests the DNS isn't working - and is a
typical problem with BT as your ISP. They have many DNS servers, and
the one allocated to you might be taken out of service. If you reboot
your router it will be given a different - hopefully working - DNS server.

Rebooting your router is of course not ideal, paricularly if you're
unning a business with several users. In which case, change ISP.

--
Graham J

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<110420221636204400%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7749&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7749

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:36:20 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:36 UTC

In article <t31v1r$idr$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J
<nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Step 1: Eliminate the WiFi as the cause of the problem - connect a
> computer to the router using an Ethernet cable. In the long tern, NEVER
> USE WIFI WHENYOU NEED RELIABILITY.

wifi is extremely reliable

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<jbji2aFalp7U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7750&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7750

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 11 Apr 2022 20:40:42 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:40 UTC

On 11 Apr 2022 at 21:36:20 BST, "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <t31v1r$idr$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J
> <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Step 1: Eliminate the WiFi as the cause of the problem - connect a
>> computer to the router using an Ethernet cable. In the long tern, NEVER
>> USE WIFI WHENYOU NEED RELIABILITY.
>
> wifi is extremely reliable

Is my experience also.
--
jeremy

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<jbjidbFanl6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7751&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7751

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 11 Apr 2022 20:46:35 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:46 UTC

On 11 Apr 2022 at 18:25:40 BST, "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <jbj2hjF7oihU1@mid.individual.net>, jeremy
> <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Last couple of weeks on 3 occasuions my internet access has just stopped - no
>> access to web sites etc. Never seen that behaviour before, usually this thing
>> is rock solid.
>>
>> If I turn wifi off and then on again (on the MacBook), it reconnects to home
>> wifi network and carries on perfectly.
>>
>> Anyone seen anythign similar? Is there a log file that I could look at that
>> might shed some light on what is happening?
>
> that happened to me and it was my wifi access point that was the
> problem.

Was the remedy to replace the AP? I am running here a Vodafone broadband
router (which has its own wifi signal but we don't use that) but have 3
TP-link RE305 devices plugged into the wired network and each creating its own
wifi AP.

--
jeremy

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<110420221659337984%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7753&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7753

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:59:33 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:59 UTC

In article <jbjidbFanl6U1@mid.individual.net>, jeremy
<jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Last couple of weeks on 3 occasuions my internet access has just stopped -
> >> no
> >> access to web sites etc. Never seen that behaviour before, usually this
> >> thing
> >> is rock solid.
> >>
> >> If I turn wifi off and then on again (on the MacBook), it reconnects to
> >> home
> >> wifi network and carries on perfectly.
> >>
> >> Anyone seen anythign similar? Is there a log file that I could look at that
> >> might shed some light on what is happening?
> >
> > that happened to me and it was my wifi access point that was the
> > problem.
>
> Was the remedy to replace the AP?

no. it's still in use and i haven't had a problem in a long time.

whenever it did happen, a reboot of the router fixed it.

> I am running here a Vodafone broadband
> router (which has its own wifi signal but we don't use that) but have 3
> TP-link RE305 devices plugged into the wired network and each creating its own
> wifi AP.

those are range extenders, which is likely part of the problem.

to cover a large area, the best solution is a mesh system. the downside
is it is not cheap.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<6A85K.1170631$2c1.79940@fx04.ams4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7768&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7768

From: saramerr...@blueyonder.co.uk (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 06:00:34 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 06:00 UTC

On 11 Apr 2022 at 17:15:47 BST, "jeremy" <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last couple of weeks on 3 occasuions my internet access has just stopped - no
> access to web sites etc. Never seen that behaviour before, usually this thing
> is rock solid.
>
> If I turn wifi off and then on again (on the MacBook), it reconnects to home
> wifi network and carries on perfectly.
>
> Anyone seen anythign similar? Is there a log file that I could look at that
> might shed some light on what is happening?
>
> cheers

Yes - mine's been doing that for years. It's only when I'm in the bathroom
though, so I guessed thre was poor reception there and turning it off and on
again made it try harder.
--
Spike is a sturdy birdy

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t33fmo$gf3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7775&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7775

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:10:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0WVomaptGJFkEuIhM/oH5jDY7vQ=
 by: Chris - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:10 UTC

jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2022 at 21:36:20 BST, "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <t31v1r$idr$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J
>> <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Step 1: Eliminate the WiFi as the cause of the problem - connect a
>>> computer to the router using an Ethernet cable. In the long tern, NEVER
>>> USE WIFI WHENYOU NEED RELIABILITY.
>>
>> wifi is extremely reliable
>
> Is my experience also.

Apple seems to think so too given there hasn't been an ethernet port on a
MacBook for many years.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t33g0u$iuf$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7776&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7776

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:16:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:16 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11 Apr 2022 at 21:36:20 BST, "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> wifi is extremely reliable
>>
>> Is my experience also.
>
> Apple seems to think so too given there hasn't been an ethernet port on a
> MacBook for many years.

I’ve got a couple of USB to LAN adapters but never had to use them when
running macOS. Useful though when setting up WiFi drivers for some Linux
distributions.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<120420220824448260%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7786&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7786

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 08:24:44 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 12:24 UTC

In article <t33fmo$gf3$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> wifi is extremely reliable
> >
> > Is my experience also.
>
> Apple seems to think so too given there hasn't been an ethernet port on a
> MacBook for many years.

that's because laptop users rarely use wired ethernet.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t349m9$ten$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7805&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7805

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 17:34:16 +0100
 by: Chris - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 16:34 UTC

On 12/04/2022 10:16, Alan B wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is my experience also.
>>
>> Apple seems to think so too given there hasn't been an ethernet port on a
>> MacBook for many years.
>
> I’ve got a couple of USB to LAN adapters but never had to use them when
> running macOS. Useful though when setting up WiFi drivers for some Linux
> distributions.

I had a funny gotcha a few years ago at work with a Mac.

In order to complete the set-up of my MBP I needed to boot the laptop
with an ethernet connection and login with my personal credentials.
However, the thunderbolt hub I had required a driver for the mac to
recognise it. The hub was the only way I could get an ethernet connection.

IT had to root around looking for an Apple dongle before I could use my
laptop.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<120420221328378198%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7807&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7807

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 13:28:37 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 17:28 UTC

In article <t349m9$ten$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I had a funny gotcha a few years ago at work with a Mac.
>
> In order to complete the set-up of my MBP I needed to boot the laptop
> with an ethernet connection and login with my personal credentials.

log into where and for what purpose?

> However, the thunderbolt hub I had required a driver for the mac to
> recognise it. The hub was the only way I could get an ethernet connection.

the hub shouldn't require anything to be installed.

i have a couple of thunderbolt hubs which 'just work', as well as a few
non-apple ethernet adapters.

any hub or adapter that requires drivers should be discarded and
replaced with one that works properly.

> IT had to root around looking for an Apple dongle before I could use my
> laptop.

something isn't adding up.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t34jqj$j3b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7814&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7814

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 19:27:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MZwbcOM9OsCYibep5iUCxfhgorE=
 by: Chris - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 19:27 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <t349m9$ten$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I had a funny gotcha a few years ago at work with a Mac.
>>
>> In order to complete the set-up of my MBP I needed to boot the laptop
>> with an ethernet connection and login with my personal credentials.
>
> log into where and for what purpose?
>
>> However, the thunderbolt hub I had required a driver for the mac to
>> recognise it. The hub was the only way I could get an ethernet connection.
>
> the hub shouldn't require anything to be installed.
>
> i have a couple of thunderbolt hubs which 'just work', as well as a few
> non-apple ethernet adapters.
>
> any hub or adapter that requires drivers should be discarded and
> replaced with one that works properly.
>
>> IT had to root around looking for an Apple dongle before I could use my
>> laptop.
>
> something isn't adding up.

Why did I know you'd have an opinion regarding my actual experience?

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<120420221539218862%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7819&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7819

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 15:39:21 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 19:39 UTC

In article <t34jqj$j3b$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> I had a funny gotcha a few years ago at work with a Mac.
> >>
> >> In order to complete the set-up of my MBP I needed to boot the laptop
> >> with an ethernet connection and login with my personal credentials.
> >
> > log into where and for what purpose?
> >
> >> However, the thunderbolt hub I had required a driver for the mac to
> >> recognise it. The hub was the only way I could get an ethernet connection.
> >
> > the hub shouldn't require anything to be installed.
> >
> > i have a couple of thunderbolt hubs which 'just work', as well as a few
> > non-apple ethernet adapters.
> >
> > any hub or adapter that requires drivers should be discarded and
> > replaced with one that works properly.
> >
> >> IT had to root around looking for an Apple dongle before I could use my
> >> laptop.
> >
> > something isn't adding up.
>
> Why did I know you'd have an opinion regarding my actual experience?

why did i know you'd avoid answering any questions.

what you describe doesn't match reality.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t35vom$htu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7846&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7846

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:57:09 +0100
 by: Chris - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:57 UTC

On 12/04/2022 20:39, nospam wrote:

>>> log into where and for what purpose?

>>> the hub shouldn't require anything to be installed.
>>>
>>> i have a couple of thunderbolt hubs which 'just work', as well as a few
>>> non-apple ethernet adapters.
>>>
>>> any hub or adapter that requires drivers should be discarded and
>>> replaced with one that works properly.

>>> something isn't adding up.
>>
>> Why did I know you'd have an opinion regarding my actual experience?
>
> why did i know you'd avoid answering any questions.
>
> what you describe doesn't match reality.

It may not match *your* reality. Which, at times, is a very special place.

Just as an example see here:
https://www.kensington.com/en-gb/internal-support-pages/usb-c-support/USB-C-FAQs/

Specially this bit:

"Mac OS devices will need a one-time software driver download to support
the Ethernet port."

What you believe should or should not happen is utterly irrelevant to
what happens in the real world. Now, kindly, STFU.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<130420220520550623%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7850&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7850

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 05:20:55 -0400
References: <jbj2hjF7oihU1@mid.individual.net> <t31v1r$idr$1@dont-email.me> <110420221636204400%nospam@nospam.invalid> <jbji2aFalp7U1@mid.individual.net> <t33fmo$gf3$1@dont-email.me> <t33g0u$iuf$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org> <t349m9$ten$1@dont-email.me> <120420221328378198%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t34jqj$j3b$1@dont-email.me> <120420221539218862%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t35vom$htu$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 09:20 UTC

In article <t35vom$htu$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12/04/2022 20:39, nospam wrote:

> >> Why did I know you'd have an opinion regarding my actual experience?
> >
> > why did i know you'd avoid answering any questions.
> >
> > what you describe doesn't match reality.
>
> It may not match *your* reality. Which, at times, is a very special place.

my reality is everyone's reality. except yours.

> Just as an example see here:
>
> https://www.kensington.com/en-gb/internal-support-pages/usb-c-support/USB-C-FA
> Qs/
>
> Specially this bit:
>
> "Mac OS devices will need a one-time software driver download to support
> the Ethernet port."

then the kensington adapter is doing something non-standard. do not use.

mac os *includes* drivers for popular ethernet chipsets (and other
peripherals), although not necessarily with optimal performance.

that means ethernet adapters (other than kensington) will work
*without* a driver to connect to whatever mystery system you claim is
needed, which you are refusing to identify.

> What you believe should or should not happen is utterly irrelevant to
> what happens in the real world. Now, kindly, STFU.

the real world does not need an ethernet adapter to set up a macbook.
full stop.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t36get$fpg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7856&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#7856

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:42:05 -0000 (UTC)
<t35vom$htu$1@dont-email.me>
<130420220520550623%nospam@nospam.invalid>
sha1:v7XrmjJRcxff8geiphRWsfk6n+U=
 by: Chris - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:42 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <t35vom$htu$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2022 20:39, nospam wrote:

>>> why did i know you'd avoid answering any questions.
>>>
>>> what you describe doesn't match reality.
>>
>> It may not match *your* reality. Which, at times, is a very special place.
>
> my reality is everyone's reality. except yours.

:D

>> Just as an example see here:
>>
>> https://www.kensington.com/en-gb/internal-support-pages/usb-c-support/USB-C-FA
>> Qs/
>>
>> Specially this bit:
>>
>> "Mac OS devices will need a one-time software driver download to support
>> the Ethernet port."
>
> then the kensington adapter is doing something non-standard. do not use.

Too late. It worked beautifully for over three years. I returned it when
changing jobs.

> mac os *includes* drivers for popular ethernet chipsets (and other
> peripherals), although not necessarily with optimal performance.

In theory. In reality that's not always true. See how this works?

> that means ethernet adapters (other than kensington) will work
> *without* a driver to connect to whatever mystery system you claim is
> needed, which you are refusing to identify.
>
>> What you believe should or should not happen is utterly irrelevant to
>> what happens in the real world. Now, kindly, STFU.
>
> the real world does not need an ethernet adapter to set up a macbook.
> full stop.

And you know how 100% of all businesses configure their infrastructure, do
you?

At my work this was standard procedure for all laptops (not just macs). IT
get the machine, image it, provide it to you with express instructions to
login for the first with the laptop connected to the wired network. After
that, you're free to use only the wifi.

The policy changed during the pandemic with people WFH.

You can argue all you like about how things should or shouldn't happen, but
that doesn't change the reality of how things actually happen. Period.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<170420221218391537%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8086&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8086

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 12:18:39 -0400
References: <jbj2hjF7oihU1@mid.individual.net> <t31v1r$idr$1@dont-email.me> <110420221636204400%nospam@nospam.invalid> <jbji2aFalp7U1@mid.individual.net> <t33fmo$gf3$1@dont-email.me> <t33g0u$iuf$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org> <t349m9$ten$1@dont-email.me> <120420221328378198%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t34jqj$j3b$1@dont-email.me> <120420221539218862%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t35vom$htu$1@dont-email.me> <130420220520550623%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t36get$fpg$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 16:18 UTC

In article <t36get$fpg$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Specially this bit:
> >>
> >> "Mac OS devices will need a one-time software driver download to support
> >> the Ethernet port."
> >
> > then the kensington adapter is doing something non-standard. do not use.
>
> Too late. It worked beautifully for over three years. I returned it when
> changing jobs.
>
> > mac os *includes* drivers for popular ethernet chipsets (and other
> > peripherals), although not necessarily with optimal performance.
>
> In theory. In reality that's not always true. See how this works?

it's not theory. mac os includes drivers for popular ethernet chipsets,
something which is easily verified.

you happen to have used a device that required its own drivers, and
then complained about it.

had you chosen (or been provided with) a different adapter, there would
have been no issue. see how this works?
> > the real world does not need an ethernet adapter to set up a macbook.
> > full stop.
>
> And you know how 100% of all businesses configure their infrastructure, do
> you?
>
> At my work this was standard procedure for all laptops (not just macs). IT
> get the machine, image it, provide it to you with express instructions to
> login for the first with the laptop connected to the wired network. After
> that, you're free to use only the wifi.

very few require what you describe, which has nothing to do with apple,
who has no control over how companies manage their hardware and
employees.

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<jc7l8tF6ffbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8112&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8112

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 19 Apr 2022 11:38:05 GMT
 by: jeremy - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:38 UTC

On 11 Apr 2022 at 21:59:33 BST, "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> that happened to me and it was my wifi access point that was the
>>> problem.
>>
>> Was the remedy to replace the AP?
>
> no. it's still in use and i haven't had a problem in a long time.
>
> whenever it did happen, a reboot of the router fixed it.
>
>> I am running here a Vodafone broadband
>> router (which has its own wifi signal but we don't use that) but have 3
>> TP-link RE305 devices plugged into the wired network and each creating its own
>> wifi AP.
>
> those are range extenders, which is likely part of the problem.
>
> to cover a large area, the best solution is a mesh system. the downside
> is it is not cheap.

Yes this solution is cheap and (touches wood) flawless as far as i can see - I
haven't had to switch them off and on at all and I get coverage from them
throughout my house and out to my garage - as far as I can tell (and I *think*
I set it up this way) devices see them as a single network so phones etc. just
work even when wandering around.

Hard to know what a mesh solution might offer beyond what I am running.

--
jeremy

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<jc7ld3F6g7nU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8113&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8113

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 19 Apr 2022 11:40:19 GMT
 by: jeremy - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:40 UTC

On 11 Apr 2022 at 20:20:25 BST, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> jeremy wrote:
>> Last couple of weeks on 3 occasuions my internet access has just stopped - no
>> access to web sites etc. Never seen that behaviour before, usually this thing
>> is rock solid.
>>
>> If I turn wifi off and then on again (on the MacBook), it reconnects to home
>> wifi network and carries on perfectly.
>>
>> Anyone seen anything similar? Is there a log file that I could look at that
>> might shed some light on what is happening?
>
> Step 1: Eliminate the WiFi as the cause of the problem - connect a
> computer to the router using an Ethernet cable. In the long tern, NEVER
> USE WIFI WHENYOU NEED RELIABILITY.
>
> Step 2: Use that computer to monitor the web page in the router.
> Depending on the router, the page will update itself every few seconds
> to show whether it has connectivity
>
> Step 3: On that computer, ping a public IP addres continuously. Your
> ISP's time server would be a good choice. ( eg Plusnet ntp.plus.net =
> 212.159.6.10 ). If you ever see that fail for several consecutive
> tries, then probably your connection has failed.
>
> Step 4: Automate step 3 with a ping monitoring utility. Google for
> recommendations, or ask here.
>
> You may then find that you have a continuously good connection, but you
> can't get websites. This suggests the DNS isn't working - and is a
> typical problem with BT as your ISP. They have many DNS servers, and
> the one allocated to you might be taken out of service. If you reboot
> your router it will be given a different - hopefully working - DNS server.
>
> Rebooting your router is of course not ideal, paricularly if you're
> unning a business with several users. In which case, change ISP.

And of course since posting, the problem has not repeated :)

--
jeremy

Re: Occasional loss of internet access - MBP 2015 / Monterey

<t3mer3$gk0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8114&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8114

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:52:29 +0100
 by: Graham J - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:52 UTC

jeremy wrote:

snip]

> And of course since posting, the problem has not repeated :)

If you want to improve reliability, doing nothing is not an option

You should put in place all the four steps I advise, so that when it
does fail you have log files from the monitoring which will indicate
something about where it went wrong.

--
Graham J