Hand me a pair of leather pants and a CASIO keyboard -- I'm living for today!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

SubjectAuthor
* Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their rswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theirJNugent
+* Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theswldx...@gmail.com
> [...]
|      |`- Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theirJNugent
|      `* Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theswldx...@gmail.com
|       +- Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theirJNugent
|       `* Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theirPeter Keller
|        +* Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theswldx...@gmail.com
|        |+- Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their reSpike
|        |`- Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theswldx...@gmail.com
|        `- Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their reSpike
+- Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of theswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their reSpike

Pages:123
Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<c4ca1bd3-361b-45e0-bf9c-2766dc4fc0a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8089&group=uk.rec.cycling#8089

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:57:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Officers_in_Cumbria_are_reminding_drivers_of_their_r
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 20:57 UTC

The two wheels campaign is aimed at educating all road users but highlights that those on two wheels have less protection and are more at risk of serious injury or death.
On 29th January 2022 changes were made to the Highway code to improve the safety of road users cycling, walking and riding horses. You can see the eight changes you need know here - https://orlo.uk/71KkQ
One of the changes introduced a new ‘hierarchy of road users’ placing those most at risk in the event of a collision at the top of the hierarchy. However, it does not remove the need for everyone to behave responsibly.
In 2021, there were over 150 collisions involving motorcyclists and cyclists in Cumbria with a number of them resulting in serious or, sadly, fatal injury.
Sergeant Claire Sampson from Cumbria Police’s Mobile Support Group said: “We all have a part to play in ensuring all road users especially vulnerable road users such as cyclists or horse riders are not put at risk.
“Cumbria is a predominately rural county, and we want all road users to enjoy our road networks safely.
“Road users should take care, watch their speed and drive to the conditions of the road.
“Those on two wheels must also consider their own safety and making sure they are wearing the right equipment.”
Advice for road users
🚲 Cyclists
🔹Positioning – ride in the centre of the lane on quiet roads, in slower-moving traffic and at the approach to junctions or road narrowings. Keep at least 0.5m and further where safer when riding on busy roads.
🔹Take care passing parked vehicles leaving enough space to avoid being hit by a car door.
🔹Watch out for pedestrians.
🔹Ensure your bike is road worthy, check your light, tyres, reflectors and brakes.
🔹Be seen, make sure your wearing bright clothing and protective clothing and helmet.
🔹Take care when on the road, give timely and clear signals and look out for other drivers who might not have seen you.
🏍️ Motorcyclists
🔹Motorcyclist’s take care when overtaking and on country roads.
🔹Only overtake when it’s safe to do so
🔹Take care when on the road, give timely and clear signals and look out for other drivers who might not have seen you.
🔹Make sure your wearing protective clothing and a helmet
🔹Ensure your motorcycle is road worthy, check your light, tyres, reflectors and brakes.
🚗 Motorists
🔹 Ensure you give space; the recommended safe passing distance is 1.5m.
🔹Only overtake when it’s safe to do so.
🔹At junctions or when undertaking a manoeuvre, look out for cyclists, motorbikes and pedestrians.
🔹Always check for cyclists when opening your car door, pulling out at a junction, or when doing a manoeuvre.
Officers from the mobile support group will be at Devils Bridge on Saturday 16th April to engage with drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists making sure they are taking steps to keep themselves and others safe.
The Crash Bike will also be on show which is a visual display of the tragic impact that some collisions can result in, the bike is that of Allan Stratt who sadly lost his life in 2018 following a collision at Hartside.
Cumbria’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Peter McCall, said: “We all have a responsibility to drive carefully and be considerate of others when behind the wheel.
“Those on bicycles and motorbikes are far more likely to be seriously injured as they don’t have as much protection surrounding them, so it is essential that drivers pay close attention to their blind spots, look carefully at junctions and check their mirrors for any vulnerabilities.
“We all want to get home safe at the end of every day, if we all drive to the rules of the road and look out for each other we can reduce serious injuries and fatalities on our roads.”
The two wheel campaign will include two weeks of education and a week of enforcement from 11th to 19th April.

https://www.facebook.com/cumbriapolice

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbek91Fca73U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8090&group=uk.rec.cycling#8090

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Officers_in_Cumbria_are_reminding_drivers_of_their_
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 00:47:45 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 23:47 UTC

> [...]
> Cumbria’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Peter McCall, said: “We all have a responsibility to drive carefully and be considerate of others when behind the wheel.
> “Those on bicycles and motorbikes are far more likely to be seriously injured as they don’t have as much protection surrounding them, so it is essential that drivers pay close attention to their blind spots, look carefully at junctions and check their mirrors for any vulnerabilities.
> “We all want to get home safe at the end of every day, if we all drive to the rules of the road and look out for each other we can reduce serious injuries and fatalities on our roads.”
> The two wheel campaign will include two weeks of education and a week of enforcement from 11th to 19th April.

Posting in html?

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbfgm7Fh9npU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8093&group=uk.rec.cycling#8093

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Officers_in_Cumbria_are_reminding_drivers_of_their_re
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:52:42 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:52 UTC

On 09/04/2022 23:47, JNugent wrote:
> On 09/04/2022 09:57 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Sergeant Claire Sampson from Cumbria Police’s Mobile Support Group said: “We all have a part to play in ensuring all road users especially vulnerable road users such as cyclists or horse riders are not put at risk.

>> Cyclists

>> Positioning – ride in the centre of the lane on quiet roads, in slower-moving traffic and at the approach to junctions or road narrowings. Keep at least 0.5m and further where safer when riding on busy roads.

> Posting in html?

What is the meaning of "Keep at least 0.5m and further where safer when
riding on busy roads"?

--
Spike

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<f749ca65-6aab-47a7-9b64-910a44a0385fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8100&group=uk.rec.cycling#8100

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 03:17:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Officers_in_Cumbria_are_reminding_drivers_of_the
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 10:17 UTC

On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 9:57:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> The two wheel campaign will include two weeks of education and a week of enforcement from 11th to 19th April.

This "enforcement" of law breaking drivers needs to be hard enough to get through their thick skulls.
Not just the usual slap on the wrist.

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbg4tsFl0u9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8106&group=uk.rec.cycling#8106

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:38:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:38 UTC

On 10/04/2022 11:17 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 9:57:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> The two wheel campaign will include two weeks of education and a week of enforcement from 11th to 19th April.

How do they squeeze 21 days into 9?

Or is it just the "week of enforcement" which lasts nine days?

> This "enforcement" of law breaking drivers needs to be hard enough to get through their thick skulls.
> Not just the usual slap on the wrist.

[Congratulations on not referring to fairy-cyclists.]

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbg4vfFl0u9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8107&group=uk.rec.cycling#8107

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 14:38:55 +0100

On 10/04/2022 08:52 am, Spike wrote:

> On 09/04/2022 23:47, JNugent wrote:
>> On 09/04/2022 09:57 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Sergeant Claire Sampson from Cumbria Police’s Mobile Support Group said: “We all have a part to play in ensuring all road users especially vulnerable road users such as cyclists or horse riders are not put at risk.

>>> Cyclists

>>> Positioning – ride in the centre of the lane on quiet roads, in slower-moving traffic and at the approach to junctions or road narrowings. Keep at least 0.5m and further where safer when riding on busy roads.

>> Posting in html?

> What is the meaning of "Keep at least 0.5m and further where safer when
> riding on busy roads"?

It's fairy-cycling.

It doesn't have to make sense.

No-one sane expects it to.

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<90354208-8440-4a0a-a2d2-9a10dfa55176n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8109&group=uk.rec.cycling#8109

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 15:52 UTC

On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 11:17:51 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 9:57:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > The two wheel campaign will include two weeks of education and a week of enforcement from 11th to 19th April.
> This "enforcement" of law breaking drivers needs to be hard enough to get through their thick skulls.
> Not just the usual slap on the wrist.

Concentrating on GIVE WAY lines would seem to be a hot topic at the moment as drivers seem to be struggling with the concept. Lots of pulling out without looking abounds amongst the driving ignoranti.

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbgf63Fn13tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8111&group=uk.rec.cycling#8111

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 17:33:07 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:33 UTC

[talking to himself]

> On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 11:17:51 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

[talking to himself]

>> On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 9:57:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> The two wheel campaign will include two weeks of education and a week of enforcement from 11th to 19th April.

>> This "enforcement" of law breaking drivers needs to be hard enough to get through their thick skulls.
>> Not just the usual slap on the wrist.
>
> Concentrating on GIVE WAY lines would seem to be a hot topic at the moment as drivers seem to be struggling with the concept. Lots of pulling out without looking abounds amongst the driving ignoranti.

Oh... for *shame*...

A *fairy-cyclist* bleating about alleged non-compliance with Give Way
lines...

That's just totally beyond satire...

You really couldn't make it up.

Advice to cyclists from Cumbria Police

<jbgfifFn2gpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8112&group=uk.rec.cycling#8112

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Advice to cyclists from Cumbria Police
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:39:42 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:39 UTC

On 10/04/2022 15:52, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 11:17:51 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> This "enforcement" of law breaking drivers needs to be hard enough to get through their thick skulls.
>> Not just the usual slap on the wrist.

> Concentrating on GIVE WAY lines would seem to be a hot topic at the moment as drivers seem to be struggling with the concept. Lots of pulling out without looking abounds amongst the driving ignoranti.

JUST WAIT 'TIL THIS GETS HERE

--
Spike

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<fa40b94f-1a61-4a9a-a424-e83ef52827den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8113&group=uk.rec.cycling#8113

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:40:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:40 UTC

On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 9:57:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> The Crash Bike will also be on show which is a visual display of the tragic impact that some collisions can result in, the bike is that of Allan Stratt who sadly lost his life in 2018 following a collision at Hartside.

That's a great tactic - let the idiot drivers reflect on the results of their dangerous driving.
Let it hit home and sink in.

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<903eac35-316f-4f9b-8867-09b6201b0fben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8114&group=uk.rec.cycling#8114

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 09:48:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:48 UTC

> Concentrating on GIVE WAY lines would seem to be a hot topic at the moment as drivers seem to be struggling with the concept. Lots of pulling out without looking abounds amongst the driving ignoranti.

QUOTE:
No vehicle should pull out from a side road unless there is time and space to complete the manouevre without imposing on any vehicle on the main road. This doesn't look that bad but starting to pull out like that puts doubt in the rider's mind - he can't know the driver is going to turn and leave space on the inside, nor whether/when that space is going to be closed down - which increases the level of danger. It's not "fair enough", the driver should have waited.ENDS

APPLAUSE.

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbi6inF2e8rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8116&group=uk.rec.cycling#8116

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:18:31 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:18 UTC

On 10/04/2022 16:40, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 9:57:10 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> The Crash Bike will also be on show which is a visual display of the tragic impact that some collisions can result in, the bike is that of Allan Stratt who sadly lost his life in 2018 following a collision at Hartside.

> That's a great tactic - let the idiot drivers reflect on the results of their dangerous driving.
> Let it hit home and sink in.

Unfortunately, the 'crash bike' idea is a double-edged sword - it also
serves to illustrate how dangerous bicycles are.

This chap got away with it, but that doesn't mean that's going to be the
case every time:

<https://www.republicworld.com/entertainment-news/whats-viral/dont-text-and-bike-cyclist-busy-on-phone-crashes-into-parked-van-watch.html>

Then there's the unfortunate case for the bicyclist who

Rather like the cyclist that was run over, who...

left the pub at 11.30pm
did not have lights
or reflective clothing
on a poorly lit road
and had a collision with another cyclist

--
Spike

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbi6r6F2h4dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8117&group=uk.rec.cycling#8117

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:23:02 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:23 UTC

On 10/04/2022 16:48, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Concentrating on GIVE WAY lines would seem to be a hot topic at the moment as drivers seem to be struggling with the concept. Lots of pulling out without looking abounds amongst the driving ignoranti.

> QUOTE:
> No vehicle should pull out from a side road unless there is time and space to complete the manouevre without imposing on any vehicle on the main road. This doesn't look that bad but starting to pull out like that puts doubt in the rider's mind - he can't know the driver is going to turn and leave space on the inside, nor whether/when that space is going to be closed down - which increases the level of danger. It's not "fair enough", the driver should have waited.ENDS

> APPLAUSE.

If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts
we'd all have a lovely Christmas.

ROADS NEED SAFER CYCLISTS

--
Spike

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<3210db52-8604-4b91-a97f-0fea3c49103fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8120&group=uk.rec.cycling#8120

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 02:54:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:54 UTC

QUOTE: Take care passing parked vehicles leaving enough space to avoid being hit by a car door. ENDS

The sole responsibility for this potential collision lies with the CAR OCCUPANTS BY LAW.

QUOTE: 'No person shall open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person. ' However, some in the cycling community feel that this law doesn't go far enough as while there is a heavy fine involved, it does not involve penalty points or prison. ENDS

Re: Advice to cyclists from Cumbria Police

<t30uh6$sr0$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8126&group=uk.rec.cycling#8126

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Advice to cyclists from Cumbria Police
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:05:25 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:05 UTC

On 11/04/22 04:39, Spike wrote:
> JUST WAIT 'TIL THIS GETS HERE

DON"T SHOUT

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<t30uid$sr0$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8127&group=uk.rec.cycling#8127

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:06:05 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:06 UTC

On 11/04/22 20:23, Spike wrote:
> ROADS NEED SAFER CYCLISTS

DON"T SHOUT

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<fdc91bb3-47af-4364-a018-c107c3e87472n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8129&group=uk.rec.cycling#8129

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 03:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:07 UTC

QUOTE: Take care passing parked vehicles leaving enough space to avoid being hit by a car door. ENDS

The sole responsibility for this potential collision lies with the CAR OCCUPANTS BY LAW.

QUOTE: 'No person shall open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person. ' However, some in the cycling community feel that this law doesn't go far enough as while there is a heavy fine involved, it does not involve penalty points or prison. ENDS

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<t30uls$sr0$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8130&group=uk.rec.cycling#8130

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:07:56 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:07 UTC

On 11/04/22 20:18, Spike wrote:
> Unfortunately, the 'crash bike' idea is a double-edged sword - it also
> serves to illustrate how dangerous bicycles are.

Bicycles themselves are not particularly dangerous.

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<156e6ef1-a5e8-470b-93f0-ba2a4b1a2280n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8131&group=uk.rec.cycling#8131

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 03:16:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:16 UTC

On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 11:07:58 AM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:

> Bicycles themselves are not particularly dangerous.

Cars are though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEi6yDeXMAAnNr4?format=jpg&name=large

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbie1tF3sldU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8132&group=uk.rec.cycling#8132

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 11:26:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:26 UTC

On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 11:07:58 AM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:

> Bicycles themselves are not particularly dangerous.

Not even the ones fitted with no brakes because their owners have
delusions of personal adequacy?

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<901deff3-8f08-4b6c-955a-12760c9aa1a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8133&group=uk.rec.cycling#8133

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 03:31:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:31 UTC

Motorists
🔹 Ensure you give space; the recommended safe passing distance is 1.5m.
🔹Only overtake when it’s safe to do so. NOTE WELL, DRIVERS!

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbivb6F740tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8141&group=uk.rec.cycling#8141

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:21:11 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:21 UTC

On 11/04/2022 09:54, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: Take care passing parked vehicles leaving enough space to avoid being hit by a car door. ENDS

> The sole responsibility for this potential collision lies with the CAR OCCUPANTS BY LAW.

> QUOTE: 'No person shall open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person. ' However, some in the cycling community feel that this law doesn't go far enough as while there is a heavy fine involved, it does not involve penalty points or prison. ENDS

BLATANTLY OBVIOUS:

If cyclists gave vehicles the 1.5m plus wobble-room spacing they demand
others give them, they wouldn't get doored.

Simples, innit?

--
Spike

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<191bf0e0-0502-40c9-b2e5-265bc199deb7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8142&group=uk.rec.cycling#8142

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:44:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:44 UTC

>QUOTE 🔹Always check for cyclists when opening your car door. ENDS

Not really tough enough penalties for this crime. 'No person shall open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person. ' However, some in the cycling community feel that this law doesn't go far enough as while there is a heavy fine involved, it does not involve penalty points or prison.

IT SHOULD - SJM.

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbj12jF79suU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8148&group=uk.rec.cycling#8148

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:50:44 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:50 UTC

On 11/04/2022 10:07, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 11/04/22 20:18, Spike wrote

>> Unfortunately, the 'crash bike' idea is a double-edged sword - it also
>> serves to illustrate how dangerous bicycles are.

> Bicycles themselves are not particularly dangerous.

Then they won't be exhibiting 'crash bikes', will they?

--
Spike

Re: Officers in Cumbria are reminding drivers of their responsibilities as part of the National Police Chief Council’s (NPCC) two wheels campaign.

<jbj132F79suU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8149&group=uk.rec.cycling#8149

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:50:59 +0000

On 11/04/2022 10:16, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 11:07:58 AM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:

>> Bicycles themselves are not particularly dangerous.

> Cars are though.

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FEi6yDeXMAAnNr4?format=jpg&name=large

Cars are so dangerous that data shows you could drive for 2000 years
without killing anyone.

--
Spike