I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. -- Roy Croft

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / FOAK :3D printers

SubjectAuthor
* FOAK :3D printerssoup
+* FOAK :3D printersNick Odell
|`- FOAK :3D printerssoup
+* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|+* FOAK :3D printerssoup
||`* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|| +* FOAK :3D printerssoup
|| |`- FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|| `* FOAK :3D printerssoup
||  `- FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|`* FOAK :3D printersMike Fleming
| `* FOAK :3D printerssoup
|  `* FOAK :3D printerscrn
|   `* FOAK :3D printerssoup
|    +- FOAK :3D printersPeter
|    +* FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    |+* FOAK :3D printersJohn Williamson
|    ||`* FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    || `- FOAK :3D printersTease'n'Seize
|    |+* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    ||+* FOAK :3D printersNicholas D. Richards
|    |||`- FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    ||`* FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    || +* FOAK :3D printersSam Plusnet
|    || |`* FOAK :3D printersThomas Prufer
|    || | `- FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    || +* FOAK :3D printersRichard Robinson
|    || |`* FOAK :3D printersChrisND@privacy.net
|    || | `* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    || |  `* FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    || |   +* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    || |   |`* FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    || |   | `* FOAK :3D printersNicholas D. Richards
|    || |   |  `- FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    || |   `* FOAK :3D printersmaus
|    || |    `- FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    || +* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    || |+* FOAK :3D printersBernard Peek
|    || ||+- FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    || ||`- FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    || |`* FOAK :3D printersPeter
|    || | `- FOAK :3D printersRichard Robinson
|    || `* FOAK :3D printersmaus
|    ||  +* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    ||  |+* FOAK :3D printersDon Stockbauer
|    ||  ||`- FOAK :3D printersmaus
|    ||  |`* FOAK :3D printersThomas Prufer
|    ||  | `* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    ||  |  +- FOAK :3D printersDon Stockbauer
|    ||  |  `* FOAK :3D printersThomas Prufer
|    ||  |   `- FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    ||  `- FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    |+- FOAK :3D printersBernard Peek
|    |+- FOAK :3D printersmaus
|    |`* FOAK :3D printersChrisND@privacy.net
|    | +* FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    | |`* FOAK :3D printersChrisND @UKRM
|    | | `* FOAK :3D printersRustyHinge
|    | |  `* FOAK :3D printersTease'n'Seize
|    | |   +- FOAK :3D printersKerr-Mudd, John
|    | |   `* FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    | |    `* FOAK :3D printersTease'n'Seize
|    | |     `- FOAK :3D printersDon Stockbauer
|    | `- FOAK :3D printersChrisND@privacy.net
|    `- FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot
`* FOAK :3D printerssoup
 +- FOAK :3D printersPeter
 `- FOAK :3D printersAhem A Rivet's Shot

Pages:123
FOAK :3D printers

<t101tk$d6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8118&group=uk.rec.sheds#8118

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: FOAK :3D printers
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000
 by: soup - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24 UTC

Thinking of getting a 3D printer .

Pretty much decided on an Ender 3 Pro.
Although if a compulsive argument against this machine came up I am
prepared to be persuaded otherwise. Certainly it must be filament
rather than resin.

Can't really justify the extra cost in going for the V2, let alone the S1.
Ender 3 pro specific :-How much of a problem is there with the Z-axis
screw being at a slight angle?

For bed leveling does the piece of paper method work or would I be
better of getting a bed leveling doohickey?
I have lots of RC buggies which require gear mesh to be adjusted,
and require a fairly mechanical mind, so I am not a complete Klutz

How often do the belts need tensioned am I going to regret not getting a
printer with an easy to use tensioning system?

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<l0873h1leiurarp5huvie166d33fo6vs11@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8119&group=uk.rec.sheds#8119

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: FOAK :3D printers
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:57:55 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 20:57 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000, soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

>Thinking of getting a 3D printer .
>
>Pretty much decided on an Ender 3 Pro.
>Although if a compulsive argument against this machine came up I am
>prepared to be persuaded otherwise. Certainly it must be filament
>rather than resin.
>
>Can't really justify the extra cost in going for the V2, let alone the S1.
>Ender 3 pro specific :-How much of a problem is there with the Z-axis
>screw being at a slight angle?
>
>For bed leveling does the piece of paper method work or would I be
>better of getting a bed leveling doohickey?
> I have lots of RC buggies which require gear mesh to be adjusted,
>and require a fairly mechanical mind, so I am not a complete Klutz
>
>How often do the belts need tensioned am I going to regret not getting a
>printer with an easy to use tensioning system?

There are a number of people in uk.d-i-y who sometimes talk about 3D
printers: it might be worth your while to expand your search over
there.

Nick

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<20220317211702.b0830613bd5efbef220fbdc4@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8120&group=uk.rec.sheds#8120

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:17:02 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:17 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> Thinking of getting a 3D printer .

Leave budget for the assorted accessories you'll want almost
immediately - a hotbox for drying filament, a nozzle cleaning kit, several
rolls of filament (ohl as needed don't try to cyna ahead), a vacuum bag kit
for storing part used rolls, a bottle of IPA (not beer) for cleaning ...

> Pretty much decided on an Ender 3 Pro.
> Although if a compulsive argument against this machine came up I am
> prepared to be persuaded otherwise. Certainly it must be filament
> rather than resin.

I went for the Flashforge Creator Pro - mainly for the dual
direct drive extruders, but from everything I've read the Ender 3 Pro is a
very good machine.

> For bed leveling does the piece of paper method work or would I be
> better of getting a bed leveling doohickey?

A piece of paper (well thin card that came with the printer) works
for me, some folks use feeler gauges which makes a lot of sense to me once
you find the right one it's perfectly reproducible.

> How often do the belts need tensioned am I going to regret not getting a
> printer with an easy to use tensioning system?

That's a rare wbo AIUI.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t11dna$9t1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8126&group=uk.rec.sheds#8126

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:52:10 +0000
 by: soup - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:52 UTC

On 17/03/2022 21:17, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Thinking of getting a 3D printer .
>
> Leave budget for the assorted accessories you'll want almost
> immediately - a hotbox for drying filament, a nozzle cleaning kit, several
> rolls of filament (ohl as needed don't try to cyna ahead), a vacuum bag kit
> for storing part used rolls, a bottle of IPA (not beer) for cleaning ...

Do most printers not come with a thin rod for opening the nozzle?
Got airbrush cleaning supplies (wee bottle brushes etc). They do?

Lots of IPA (buy it by the gallon on Amazon) Got it for the bike brake
discs then used it as a thawing agent for the car and generally sprayed
surfaces with it at the height of the pandemic.

I (sort of) was hoping the humidity wouldn't be too high in my
workroom. TBH I knew of it, but pretty much said "it's not going to be
a problem" early on in the thought process and didn't really think of it
again.

>> Pretty much decided on an Ender 3 Pro.
>> Although if a compulsive argument against this machine came up I am
>> prepared to be persuaded otherwise. Certainly it must be filament
>> rather than resin.
>
> I went for the Flashforge Creator Pro - mainly for the dual
> direct drive extruders, but from everything I've read the Ender 3 Pro is a
> very good machine.

Certainly seems to have lots of followers, a large community means lots
of people to shout "HELP!" at. :O)

>> For bed leveling does the piece of paper method work or would I be
>> better of getting a bed leveling doohickey?
>
> A piece of paper (well thin card that came with the printer) works
> for me, some folks use feeler gauges which makes a lot of sense to me once
> you find the right one it's perfectly reproducible.

Can't see I'd get feeler gauges. But the paper (folded or card)
method seems to require some 'feel/finnese', ah well suppose I won't
know till I try.

>> How often do the belts need tensioned am I going to regret not getting a
>> printer with an easy to use tensioning system?
>
> That's a rare wbo AIUI.

Thought I was thinking too much about that

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t11dpr$9t1$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8127&group=uk.rec.sheds#8127

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:53:31 +0000
 by: soup - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:53 UTC

On 17/03/2022 20:57, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000, soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Thinking of getting a 3D printer .
>>
>> Pretty much decided on an Ender 3 Pro.
>> Although if a compulsive argument against this machine came up I am
>> prepared to be persuaded otherwise. Certainly it must be filament
>> rather than resin.
>>
>> Can't really justify the extra cost in going for the V2, let alone the S1.
>> Ender 3 pro specific :-How much of a problem is there with the Z-axis
>> screw being at a slight angle?
>>
>> For bed leveling does the piece of paper method work or would I be
>> better of getting a bed leveling doohickey?
>> I have lots of RC buggies which require gear mesh to be adjusted,
>> and require a fairly mechanical mind, so I am not a complete Klutz
>>
>> How often do the belts need tensioned am I going to regret not getting a
>> printer with an easy to use tensioning system?
>
> There are a number of people in uk.d-i-y who sometimes talk about 3D
> printers: it might be worth your while to expand your search over
> there.

T.Y.

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<20220318104429.02714f3e1688039c4794aec3@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8128&group=uk.rec.sheds#8128

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:44:29 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:44 UTC

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:52:10 +0000
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 17/03/2022 21:17, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000
> > soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thinking of getting a 3D printer .
> >
> > Leave budget for the assorted accessories you'll want almost
> > immediately - a hotbox for drying filament, a nozzle cleaning kit,
> > several rolls of filament (ohl as needed don't try to cyna ahead), a
> > vacuum bag kit for storing part used rolls, a bottle of IPA (not beer)
> > for cleaning ...
>
> Do most printers not come with a thin rod for opening the nozzle?

They do - but that rod is filament sized designed for clearing the
path to the nozzle not nozzle hole sized for clearing a jammed nozzle - for
that acupuncture needles are great (they come in assorted very precise
diameters) and purnc. I picked up a kit for norralotadosh with loadsa
needles and a couple of pairs (bent and straight) of really nice heavy duty
tweezers with poinky ends and added a small brass brush. Now I can remove
congealed globs of plastic wherever they lurk.

> Got airbrush cleaning supplies (wee bottle brushes etc). They do?

Probably not - airbrushes don't tend to get clogged by once molten
plastic.

Flexible filaments like TPU are the most fiddly - they're too
flexible to push the remnants of a rigid filament (even cleaning filament -
oh yes get some of that too) out and so you tend to need to get the nozzle
pristine to switch to them - which IME means ramming the remnants through
with the provided rod and poking an acupuncture needle up through the hot
nozzle. I became well experienced with dismantling the extruder assembley
before I got TPU under control.

> Lots of IPA (buy it by the gallon on Amazon) Got it for the bike brake

YMYA.

> I (sort of) was hoping the humidity wouldn't be too high in my
> workroom. TBH I knew of it, but pretty much said "it's not going to be
> a problem" early on in the thought process and didn't really think of it
> again.

It might not be - depends on the filament. I lost half a roll of
PLA to humidity (it got up to 45% for a while and the PLA got all snappy)
I lost about the cevpr of a vacuum bag kit in filament so I ohled one to
stop it happening again. Now when I take a reel off the printer it gets a
six hour bake and popped into a vacuum bag. OTOH I had a couple of rolls of
TPU on the printer for over a week running prints nearly continuously
testing iterations on a printed modular solar water heater design. Those
rolls came to no harm despite similar humidity - the last print run with
them finished with about a yard of filament left on one of the rolls.

> >> Pretty much decided on an Ender 3 Pro.
> >> Although if a compulsive argument against this machine came up I am
> >> prepared to be persuaded otherwise. Certainly it must be filament
> >> rather than resin.
> >
> > I went for the Flashforge Creator Pro - mainly for the dual
> > direct drive extruders, but from everything I've read the Ender 3 Pro
> > is a very good machine.
>
> Certainly seems to have lots of followers, a large community means lots
> of people to shout "HELP!" at. :O)

Yep, valuable that. Also when the inevitable moment comes that you
wonder if you have terminally trashed your zbarlous new toy to discover
that whatever happened is a commonplace occurrence and here's what you do
about it - don't be scared just unscrew these bits and ...

> Can't see I'd get feeler gauges. But the paper (folded or card)

Thought you might have a set or two lying around from when points
etc. needed doing - my last set got destroyed trying out setting tappets on
a running engine which some hair brained idiot in a motor mechanics rag said
was the best way to do it. TBF it worked fine but it trashed the feelers so
I only tried it once.

> method seems to require some 'feel/finnese', ah well suppose I won't
> know till I try.

Yes there is some feel/finnese to it but mostly down to learning
how tight is right - set all the points the same and run a level test
print. If it's all squished then open up the gap, if it doesn't stick
squeeze it down - use the paper each time and when the test print comes out
right you'll know what the paper should feel like. <smug>I got it first
time</lucky>.

This fails on printers with spring loaded removable plates which
are a right PITA to level because the pressure needed to push the plate
down a bit is so small.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<j9jvnkF39ddU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8138&group=uk.rec.sheds#8138

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:01:22 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:01 UTC

On 17/03/2022 21:17, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Thinking of getting a 3D printer .
>
> Leave budget for the assorted accessories you'll want almost
> immediately - a hotbox for drying filament, a nozzle cleaning kit, several
> rolls of filament (ohl as needed don't try to cyna ahead), a vacuum bag kit
> for storing part used rolls, a bottle of IPA (not beer) for cleaning ...
>
>> Pretty much decided on an Ender 3 Pro.
>> Although if a compulsive argument against this machine came up I am
>> prepared to be persuaded otherwise. Certainly it must be filament
>> rather than resin.
>
> I went for the Flashforge Creator Pro - mainly for the dual
> direct drive extruders, but from everything I've read the Ender 3 Pro is a
> very good machine.

I've got a CR-6 SE. It's been good but I encountered an issue, probably
of my own making, which affects Creality printers in general. The Bowden
tube extends all the way through the hotend to the nozzle, and it can
pull away slightly from the nozzle, which results in a lump of filament
congealing in the hotend and blocking the nozzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30qqKUwviww

There's a V1 and a V2 of the Ender 3 Pro I think, and each have
advantages and disadvantages. Something to research anyway.

>> For bed leveling does the piece of paper method work or would I be
>> better of getting a bed leveling doohickey?
>
> A piece of paper (well thin card that came with the printer) works
> for me, some folks use feeler gauges which makes a lot of sense to me once
> you find the right one it's perfectly reproducible.

Or get a CR-6 SE, which has automatic bed levelling (which is one of my
reasons for buying it).

>> How often do the belts need tensioned am I going to regret not getting a
>> printer with an easy to use tensioning system?
>
> That's a rare wbo AIUI.

I'd agree with that.

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t12ib5$kle$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8139&group=uk.rec.sheds#8139

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:17:09 +0000
 by: soup - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:17 UTC

On 18/03/2022 10:44, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:52:10 +0000
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

>> Do most printers not come with a thin rod for opening the nozzle?
>
> They do - but that rod is filament sized designed for clearing the
> path to the nozzle not nozzle hole sized for clearing a jammed nozzle - for
> that acupuncture needles are great (they come in assorted very precise
> diameters) and purnc. I picked up a kit for norralotadosh with loadsa
> needles and a couple of pairs (bent and straight) of really nice heavy duty
> tweezers with poinky ends and added a small brass brush. Now I can remove
> congealed globs of plastic wherever they lurk.

Just had a very quick look on Amazon seems cleaning sets are much
purncre than I thought .

Which leads me to a follow up Q .

Replacement nozzles generic or named brand, and how often do nozzles get
replaced?

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<20220318193001.04acb1360d99b760d9734126@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8141&group=uk.rec.sheds#8141

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:30:01 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:30 UTC

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:17:09 +0000
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> Just had a very quick look on Amazon seems cleaning sets are much
> purncre than I thought .

None of the odds and ends are zbarlous (apart from filament).

> Which leads me to a follow up Q .
>
> Replacement nozzles generic or named brand, and how often do nozzles get

Oh now that's getting ecumenical - alongside such questions as all
metal or PTFE based hot ends. While it jbexes don't svk it!

> replaced?

Anywhere from almost never (stainless steel printing TPU) to weekly
(brass printing carburundum filled nylon - OK you probably can't get that
but there are filaments that are very abrasive) to right now (the eejit who
tried printing solder through a brass nozzle).

I've not had to replace one yet - not looking forward to it either.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t135m1$2tp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8146&group=uk.rec.sheds#8146

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 23:47:13 +0000
 by: soup - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 23:47 UTC

On 18/03/2022 18:01, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 17/03/2022 21:17, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000
>> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> I've got a CR-6 SE. It's been good

Looks to be out of my budget (basically as cheap as possible was going
to go original Ender 3 but decided to splurge a bit , ok a very small
bit.

> but I encountered an issue, probably
> of my own making, which affects Creality printers in general. The Bowden
> tube extends all the way through the hotend to the nozzle, and it can
> pull away slightly from the nozzle, which results in a lump of filament
> congealing in the hotend and blocking the nozzle.

Looking at that video it seems the way to go is to replace the coupler
on day one, rather than try to clean the hot-end (<spot me, down with
the lingo)

> There's a V1 and a V2 of the Ender 3 Pro I think, and each have
> advantages and disadvantages. Something to research anyway.

Looks like (well to me anyway)

there is the ender3 then the ender3 pro
a development from that is the Ender3 V2
a development from that is the Ender3 S1

>>> For bed leveling does the piece of paper method work or would I be
>>> better of getting a bed leveling doohickey?
>>
>>     A piece of paper (well thin card that came with the printer) works
>> for me, some folks use feeler gauges which makes a lot of sense to me
>> once
>> you find the right one it's perfectly reproducible.
>
> Or get a CR-6 SE, which has automatic bed levelling (which is one of my
> reasons for buying it).

I think I am going to see how I get on with the bit folded paper/card
method if I suck at that will probably get the auto leveling doohickey
and add that

>>> How often do the belts need tensioned am I going to regret not getting a
>>> printer with an easy to use tensioning system?
>>
>>     That's a rare wbo AIUI.
>
> I'd agree with that.

Seems to be pretty much a non event. I can see them being like a bike
chain all well and good for a long time then maybe a wee bit of putting
up with crap then replacing the belt and retensioning.

A bike chain after a while 'stretches' (it's not really stretching it's
just the bushings in the individual links wearing) this causes it to
'skip' on the chain rings and mucks up any deraileur adjustments

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t139pm$nf9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8148&group=uk.rec.sheds#8148

From: crn...@nospam.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 00:57:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: crn...@nospam.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 00:57 UTC

soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 18/03/2022 18:01, Mike Fleming wrote:
>> On 17/03/2022 21:17, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 19:24:31 +0000
>>> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got a CR-6 SE. It's been good
>
> Looks to be out of my budget (basically as cheap as possible was going
> to go original Ender 3 but decided to splurge a bit , ok a very small
> bit.

How much are you actually going to print.
Probably cheaper and easier to prepare the files and send them to
a professional 3d printinh house.

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t14k0u$9to$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8162&group=uk.rec.sheds#8162

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:58:07 +0000
 by: soup - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:58 UTC

On 19/03/2022 00:57, crn@nospam.com wrote:
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a CR-6 SE. It's been good
>>
>> Looks to be out of my budget (basically as cheap as possible was going
>> to go original Ender 3 but decided to splurge a bit , ok a very small
>> bit.
>
> How much are you actually going to print.
> Probably cheaper and easier to prepare the files and send them to
> a professional 3d printinh house.

Yeah, but not as much 'fun'.

Do do that sort of thing with colour photoprints (as my home printer
will do it but I cannot afford a printer of the quality required).

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t14kd4$buu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8164&group=uk.rec.sheds#8164

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:04:38 +0000
 by: soup - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:04 UTC

On 18/03/2022 10:44, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:52:10 +0000
> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> It might not be - depends on the filament. I lost half a roll of
> PLA to humidity (it got up to 45% for a while and the PLA got all snappy)
> I lost about the cevpr of a vacuum bag kit in filament so I ohled one to
> stop it happening again. Now when I take a reel off the printer it gets a
> six hour bake and popped into a vacuum bag. OTOH I had a couple of rolls of
> TPU on the printer for over a week running prints nearly continuously
> testing iterations on a printed modular solar water heater design. Those
> rolls came to no harm despite similar humidity - the last print run with
> them finished with about a yard of filament left on one of the rolls.

Bake ? Oven on low heat or another machine ?

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<XnsAE5F94AECF677Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8165&group=uk.rec.sheds#8165

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:36:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:36 UTC

soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in news:t14k0u$9to$1@dont-email.me:

> On 19/03/2022 00:57, crn@nospam.com wrote:
>> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> Looks to be out of my budget (basically as cheap as possible was going
>>> to go original Ender 3 but decided to splurge a bit , ok a very small
>>> bit.
>>
>> How much are you actually going to print.
>> Probably cheaper and easier to prepare the files and send them to
>> a professional 3d printinh house.
>
> Yeah, but not as much 'fun'.
>
> Do do that sort of thing with colour photoprints (as my home printer
> will do it but I cannot afford a printer of the quality required).

I do similar with printed circuit boards. Faster and much better quality
than etching them meself, and not much more zbarlous, even ordering them
from Treznal.

--
Peter
-----

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t14qt4$21u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8167&group=uk.rec.sheds#8167

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55:32 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55 UTC

On 19/03/2022 12:58, soup wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 00:57, crn@nospam.com wrote:
>> soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

>> How much are you actually going to print.
>> Probably cheaper and easier to prepare the files and send them to
>> a professional 3d printinh house.
>
> Yeah, but not as much 'fun'.
>
> Do do that sort of thing with colour photoprints (as my home printer
> will do it but I cannot afford a printer of the quality required).

I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
won't it?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<20220319143941.cbe91b56e4861e74c037b92d@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8168&group=uk.rec.sheds#8168

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:39:41 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:39 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:58:07 +0000
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 19/03/2022 00:57, crn@nospam.com wrote:

> > How much are you actually going to print.
> > Probably cheaper and easier to prepare the files and send them to
> > a professional 3d printinh house.
>
> Yeah, but not as much 'fun'.

Also not as conducive to experimentation and printing things just
to play with them, like the metamaterial pliers - one piece of plastic, no
hinge (Rusty or otherwise) making working pliers, not useful but working.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<20220319143119.e89f1118e70f47d68a3010ce@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8169&group=uk.rec.sheds#8169

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:31:19 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:31 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:04:38 +0000
soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 18/03/2022 10:44, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:52:10 +0000
> > soup <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:
>

> > It might not be - depends on the filament. I lost half a roll of
> > PLA to humidity (it got up to 45% for a while and the PLA got all
> > snappy) I lost about the cevpr of a vacuum bag kit in filament so I
> > ohled one to stop it happening again. Now when I take a reel off the
> > printer it gets a six hour bake and popped into a vacuum bag. OTOH I
> > had a couple of rolls of TPU on the printer for over a week running
> > prints nearly continuously testing iterations on a printed modular
> > solar water heater design. Those rolls came to no harm despite similar
> > humidity - the last print run with them finished with about a yard of
> > filament left on one of the rolls.
>
> Bake ? Oven on low heat or another machine ?

Some people do use an oven at around 80-120 centigrade, I have a two
reel drybox (aka as hotbox) that I ohled from the river lady which warms up
to 50 centigrade on a timer, has temperature and humidity displays, can seal
airtight for storage or be open for drying. It holds my stock of silica gel
packs[1000] and any filament not on the printer that I don't want to bag up
again just yet.

[1000] These you don't need to ohl, after a bit you stop bothering to throw
new ones in the box because you've already kept too many. Eventually no
doubt I'll start throwing manky ones out and run low. You just want enough
to be sure to be able to stick a couple in the bag when you seal up a reel.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<j9maucFh36lU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8173&group=uk.rec.sheds#8173

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:24:57 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:24 UTC

On 19/03/2022 14:55, RustyHinge wrote:

> I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
> that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
> won't it?

Not nessy-celery. Quality varies, as does people's ability to notice
shortfalls in quality. Decent quality laser costs a fair bit of zbarl.

Some "Photo quality" printers use six ink colours. There is also the
problem of matching printer paper quality to proper photo paper.

I am happy with my HP portable, using their glossy "photo" paper.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<20220319151156.1539311b7e998d9d4181b5ba@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8175&group=uk.rec.sheds#8175

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:11:56 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:11 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55:32 +0000
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
> that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
> won't it?

Nope - it may well print out acceptabubble[1] photos but it will
usually be just a four colour print which limits the range and depth of
colours available. Also it almost certainly won't be colour calibrated.
Proper photo printers use rather more shades of ink, wax or toner to
achieve better colour range and depth and get individually calibrated.

[1] Unless you make the mistake of printing the same photo on a proper
photo printer.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<xYiDuUAbxgNiFAMY@salmiron.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8180&group=uk.rec.sheds#8180

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:01:15 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:01 UTC

In article <20220319151156.1539311b7e998d9d4181b5ba@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 15:11:56 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55:32 +0000
>RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
>> that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
>> won't it?
>
> Nope - it may well print out acceptabubble[1] photos but it will
>usually be just a four colour print which limits the range and depth of
>colours available. Also it almost certainly won't be colour calibrated.
>Proper photo printers use rather more shades of ink, wax or toner to
>achieve better colour range and depth and get individually calibrated.
>
>[1] Unless you make the mistake of printing the same photo on a proper
>photo printer.

Depends upon what you want and would tolerate (quality versus cost).

I use 'photopaper' and an Epson Ecotank printer for everyday prints
(other ink jet printers are available).

Dye-sublimation printers are a big step up in quality. Dye-sublimation
use a matched paper and print film (you buy them together) which will
only work on a particular printer or printers made by the same
manufacturer. A printer will only print one size. The print film
(single use) will have four or five panels, the last panel applies a
protective film that protects from UK light and moisture. Canon SELPHY
range are not an unreasonable price for the printer and if you only use
it for final proofs then the cost of ownership is not unreasonable.

That is my ha'penny worth.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t15a74$dlj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8188&group=uk.rec.sheds#8188

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:16:51 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:16 UTC

On 19/03/2022 15:11, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55:32 +0000
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
>> that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
>> won't it?
>
> Nope - it may well print out acceptabubble[1] photos but it will
> usually be just a four colour print which limits the range and depth of
> colours available. Also it almost certainly won't be colour calibrated.
> Proper photo printers use rather more shades of ink, wax or toner to
> achieve better colour range and depth and get individually calibrated.
>
> [1] Unless you make the mistake of printing the same photo on a proper
> photo printer.

Ah. I can't justify the cost of using my inkjet by a colour-print every
year or so, followed by loadsa cleaning or replacements of reservoirs.

With a laserprinter you can ostrich-eyes your laser, and it dozen sulk.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t15b01$joe$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8189&group=uk.rec.sheds#8189

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:30:07 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:30 UTC

On 19/03/2022 17:01, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> In article <20220319151156.1539311b7e998d9d4181b5ba@eircom.net>, Ahem A
> Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> on Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 15:11:56 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55:32 +0000
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
>>> that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
>>> won't it?
>>
>> Nope - it may well print out acceptabubble[1] photos but it will
>> usually be just a four colour print which limits the range and depth of
>> colours available. Also it almost certainly won't be colour calibrated.
>> Proper photo printers use rather more shades of ink, wax or toner to
>> achieve better colour range and depth and get individually calibrated.
>>
>> [1] Unless you make the mistake of printing the same photo on a proper
>> photo printer.
>>
> Depends upon what you want and would tolerate (quality versus cost).
>
> I use 'photopaper' and an Epson Ecotank printer for everyday prints
> (other ink jet printers are available).
>
> Dye-sublimation printers are a big step up in quality. Dye-sublimation
> use a matched paper and print film (you buy them together) which will
> only work on a particular printer or printers made by the same
> manufacturer. A printer will only print one size. The print film
> (single use) will have four or five panels, the last panel applies a
> protective film that protects from UK light and moisture. Canon SELPHY
> range are not an unreasonable price for the printer and if you only use
> it for final proofs then the cost of ownership is not unreasonable.
>
> That is my ha'penny worth.

Ta. I'll investigate. I'm likely to print more stuff now I'm out of
hospital and one big toe lighter.

Not going to enlarge on that for fear of initiating a libel battle with
one section of NHS

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<t15bnu$pi6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8190&group=uk.rec.sheds#8190

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:42:52 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:42 UTC

On 19/03/2022 15:24, John Williamson wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 14:55, RustyHinge wrote:
>
>> I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
>> that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
>> won't it?
>>
> Not nessy-celery. Quality varies, as does people's ability to notice
> shortfalls in quality. Decent quality laser costs a fair bit of zbarl.
>
> Some "Photo quality" printers use six ink colours. There is also the
> problem of matching printer paper quality to proper photo paper.
>
> I am happy with my HP portable, using their glossy "photo" paper.

I'm happy with the results from my Epson Stilus something-or-other when
I've used it, but I use it so seldom that it's just not economic.

I ohled my monochrome HP P 21102W from rAsog for two reasons: 1) it was
purnc and2) it was the only one on offer that I cold get toner for.

Evev for ready money. Oh, that was cucumbers, sorry.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<LGqZJ.269048$fIV5.78685@fx12.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8192&group=uk.rec.sheds#8192

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:03:54 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:03 UTC

On 19-Mar-22 19:16, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 15:11, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55:32 +0000
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
>>> that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
>>> won't it?
>>
>>     Nope - it may well print out acceptabubble[1] photos but it will
>> usually be just a four colour print which limits the range and depth of
>> colours available. Also it almost certainly won't be colour calibrated.
>> Proper photo printers use rather more shades of ink, wax or toner to
>> achieve better colour range and depth and get individually calibrated.
>>
>> [1] Unless you make the mistake of printing the same photo on a proper
>> photo printer.
>
> Ah. I can't justify the cost of using my inkjet by a colour-print every
> year or so, followed by loadsa cleaning or replacements of reservoirs.
>
> With a laserprinter you can ostrich-eyes your laser, and it dozen sulk.

Which is why I has a laser printer - I can't be doing with a inkjet
that's bunged up almost every time I want it to jbex.

As said up there somewhere. Colour Laser printers don't do photo
quality (unless you have _really_ low standards).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: FOAK :3D printers

<uL-dnaS71oMOp6v_nZ2dnUU7-TmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8193&group=uk.rec.sheds#8193

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:18:27 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:18 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 19/03/2022 15:11, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:55:32 +0000
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I only have a monochrome laser printer. Can I butt-in and ask: I take it
>>> that if I lashed-out on a colour one, it will print photo-quality pics,
>>> won't it?
>>
>> Nope - it may well print out acceptabubble[1] photos but it will
>> usually be just a four colour print which limits the range and depth of
>> colours available. Also it almost certainly won't be colour calibrated.
>> Proper photo printers use rather more shades of ink, wax or toner to
>> achieve better colour range and depth and get individually calibrated.
>>
>> [1] Unless you make the mistake of printing the same photo on a proper
>> photo printer.
>
> Ah. I can't justify the cost of using my inkjet by a colour-print every
> year or so, followed by loadsa cleaning or replacements of reservoirs.
>
> With a laserprinter you can ostrich-eyes your laser, and it dozen sulk.

I've never tried burying one in sand ...

But I obhtug it in 2001 and the (black) toner cartridge I got to replace
the one it came with hasn't run out yet.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html