There are more old drunkards than old doctors.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Immersion overheat stat

SubjectAuthor
* Immersion overheat statTim+
+* Re: Immersion overheat statSteveW
|+- Re: Immersion overheat statAndrew
|`- Re: Immersion overheat statBrian Gaff
`* Re: Immersion overheat statMatthias Czech
 `- Re: Immersion overheat statTim+

1
Immersion overheat stat

<1431543918.692529639.186897.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81109&group=uk.d-i-y#81109

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Immersion overheat stat
Date: 12 Dec 2022 09:28:34 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:28 UTC

Well I thought I was sorted when I discovered that the overheat stat had
tripped yesterday and it was all working when I finished testing it all but
once again the water failed to heat properly last night and when I checked
the stat the button *hadn’t* popped out this time but it’s testing as open
circuit.

We live in a very soft water area and I doubt that the element really is
overheating so if possible, I’d like to try just replacing the over-heat
stat first.

It looks a bit like this
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermostatic-switches/2282591? but mine
seems to have a threaded base and screws into the metal of the immersion
heater boss.

Can’t seem to locate them on line. Are these available as replacement
components or should I just bite the bullet and get a whole new heater?

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Immersion overheat stat

<tn75fl$27h8t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81124&group=uk.d-i-y#81124

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Immersion overheat stat
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 12:06:12 +0000
 by: SteveW - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 12:06 UTC

On 12/12/2022 09:28, Tim+ wrote:

> Well I thought I was sorted when I discovered that the overheat stat had
> tripped yesterday and it was all working when I finished testing it all but
> once again the water failed to heat properly last night and when I checked
> the stat the button *hadn’t* popped out this time but it’s testing as open
> circuit.
>
> We live in a very soft water area and I doubt that the element really is
> overheating so if possible, I’d like to try just replacing the over-heat
> stat first.
>
> It looks a bit like this
> https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermostatic-switches/2282591? but mine
> seems to have a threaded base and screws into the metal of the immersion
> heater boss.
>
> Can’t seem to locate them on line. Are these available as replacement
> components or should I just bite the bullet and get a whole new heater?

We kept having problems with our immersion - either tripping the
overtemperature stat or tripping the RCD. We too are in a soft-water
area and the casing of the immersion heater element had been eaten
through (hence the RCD trips) and had presumably curved before it holed,
putting the element up against the stat.

Re: Immersion overheat stat

<jvojtaF2q75U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81127&group=uk.d-i-y#81127

From: matthias...@t-online.de (Matthias Czech)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 13:08:11 +0100
 by: Matthias Czech - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 12:08 UTC

Am 12.12.2022 um 10:28 schrieb Tim+:

> It looks a bit like this
> https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermostatic-switches/2282591? but mine
> seems to have a threaded base and screws into the metal of the immersion
> heater boss.
>
> Can’t seem to locate them on line. Are these available as replacement
> components or should I just bite the bullet and get a whole new heater?

This one seems threaded:
https://www.ukhps.co.uk/instanta-xetr5-xetr5-120c-boil-dry-thermal-cut-out-manual-reset-element-195313.html

Re: Immersion overheat stat

<1699332485.692540959.327642.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81130&group=uk.d-i-y#81130

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 12 Dec 2022 12:48:19 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 12:48 UTC

Matthias Czech <matthias.czech@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 12.12.2022 um 10:28 schrieb Tim+:
>

>> It looks a bit like this
>> https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermostatic-switches/2282591? but mine
>> seems to have a threaded base and screws into the metal of the immersion
>> heater boss.
>>
>> Can’t seem to locate them on line. Are these available as replacement
>> components or should I just bite the bullet and get a whole new heater?
>>
> This one seems threaded:
> https://www.ukhps.co.uk/instanta-xetr5-xetr5-120c-boil-dry-thermal-cut-out-manual-reset-element-195313.html

120c though! Too high for a domestic cylinder.

I did find one after much searching.
https://www.heatrodshop.com/product/cutout-button-stat-36txe36.

The old one has clearly overheated internally from electrical causes so I’m
happy that it’s nothing to do with the element or cyclinder stat.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Immersion overheat stat

<tn7r8v$1km5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81166&group=uk.d-i-y#81166

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 18:18:07 +0000
 by: Andrew - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 18:18 UTC

On 12/12/2022 12:06, SteveW wrote:
> On 12/12/2022 09:28, Tim+ wrote:
>>
>> Well I thought I was sorted when I discovered that the overheat stat had
>> tripped yesterday and it was all working when I finished testing it
>> all but
>> once again the water failed to heat properly last night and when I
>> checked
>> the stat the button *hadn’t* popped out this time but it’s testing as
>> open
>> circuit.
>>
>> We live in a very soft water area and I doubt that the element really is
>> overheating so if possible, I’d like to try just replacing the over-heat
>> stat first.
>>
>> It looks a bit like this
>> https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermostatic-switches/2282591? but mine
>> seems to have a threaded base and screws into the metal of the immersion
>> heater boss.
>>
>> Can’t seem to locate them on line. Are these available as replacement
>> components or should I just bite the bullet and get a whole new heater?
>
> We kept having problems with our immersion - either tripping the
> overtemperature stat or tripping the RCD. We too are in a soft-water
> area and the casing of the immersion heater element had been eaten
> through (hence the RCD trips) and had presumably curved before it holed,
> putting the element up against the stat.

Buy a Tesla immersion heater to go with your new car :-)

https://www.teslauk.com/pdf/downloads/Tesla%20Immersion%20Heater%20Product%20Guide.pdf

Re: Immersion overheat stat

<tn9fra$2fsl8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81211&group=uk.d-i-y#81211

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:15:20 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:15 UTC

Yes this even happens in hard water areas. I remember that the last time it
was replaced the plumber showed me the state of what originally was
basically a zig zagged element, but it was now twisted out of shape, with
crusty nodules all over it and the seamed tube it was in was clearly wide
open in some places.
You would not have got the thermostat probe to miss the distorted shape
when inserted.
Brian

--

--: