How kind of you to be willing to live someone's life for them.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: iPad user question

SubjectAuthor
* iPad user questionGraham J
+* iPad user questionnospam
|+- iPad user questionAlan B
|+* iPad user questionGraham J
||`- iPad user questionJaimie Vandenbergh
|+- iPad user questionDavid Brooks
|`- iPad user questionJ. J. Lodder
+- iPad user questionDavid Brooks
`* iPad user questionMari Pap
 `- iPad user questionDavid Brooks

1
iPad user question

<t3oesd$84e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8131&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8131

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: iPad user question
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:05:25 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:05 UTC

When using my iPad, specifically typing into Safari the URL of a
website, I sometimes make a mistake. The only way to correct it that
I've found is to backwards-delete to the mistake, remove the mistake,
and re-type the rest of the URL.

What I would like to do is to move the cursor to the error, correct it,
then move the cursor to the end of line and continue. But my finger is
too fat to achieve this; I can only reliably place the cursor between
words which in the context of a URL which doesn't have spaces is
useless. Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
time, please?

--
Graham J

Re: iPad user question

<200420220452225945%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8132&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8132

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: iPad user question
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:52:22 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:52 UTC

In article <t3oesd$84e$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J
<nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> When using my iPad, specifically typing into Safari the URL of a
> website, I sometimes make a mistake. The only way to correct it that
> I've found is to backwards-delete to the mistake, remove the mistake,
> and re-type the rest of the URL.
>
> What I would like to do is to move the cursor to the error, correct it,
> then move the cursor to the end of line and continue. But my finger is
> too fat to achieve this; I can only reliably place the cursor between
> words which in the context of a URL which doesn't have spaces is
> useless. Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
> time, please?

touch & hold the space bar until the keyboard goes blank, at which
point you can move the cursor as needed.

Re: iPad user question

<VSP7K.30866$ep1.27869@fx03.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8133&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8133

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:54:13 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:54 UTC

On 20/04/2022 09:05, Graham J wrote:
> When using my iPad, specifically typing into Safari the URL of a
> website, I sometimes make a mistake.  The only way to correct it that
> I've found is to backwards-delete to the mistake, remove the mistake,
> and re-type the rest of the URL.
>
> What I would like to do is to move the cursor to the error, correct it,
> then move the cursor to the end of line and continue.  But my finger is
> too fat to achieve this; I can only reliably place the cursor between
> words which in the context of a URL which doesn't have spaces is
> useless.  Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
> time, please?

Hello Graham

With my iPad Pro mounted on its Apple case/keyboard, the arrow keys in
the bottom right-hand corner of the keyboard will move the cursor as you
require.

There's possibly a way without the case, but I didn't find it!

A 'plus' now!

On your iPhone ............ Press and hold down on 'space' and drag the
cursor left or right as required!

I hope this helps.

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: iPad user question

<t3oi0k$uvj$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8134&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8134

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:59:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:59 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <t3oesd$84e$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J
> <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> When using my iPad, specifically typing into Safari the URL of a
>> website, I sometimes make a mistake. The only way to correct it that
>> I've found is to backwards-delete to the mistake, remove the mistake,
>> and re-type the rest of the URL.
>>
>> What I would like to do is to move the cursor to the error, correct it,
>> then move the cursor to the end of line and continue. But my finger is
>> too fat to achieve this; I can only reliably place the cursor between
>> words which in the context of a URL which doesn't have spaces is
>> useless. Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
>> time, please?
>
> touch & hold the space bar until the keyboard goes blank, at which
> point you can move the cursor as needed.

Yep I’ve always done this on my iDevices.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: iPad user question

<t3oibd$23t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8135&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8135

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:04:36 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:04 UTC

nospam wrote:

[snip]

>> Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
>> time, please?
>
> touch & hold the space bar until the keyboard goes blank, at which
> point you can move the cursor as needed.

.... then moving one's finger anywhere over the screen.

Thank you!

How was I to find that out by trial-and-error? Having L R arrow keys on
the synthetic keyboard would have been obvious, but I can understand the
real-eatate limitation.

--
Graham J

Re: iPad user question

<R0Q7K.30867$ep1.30608@fx03.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8136&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8136

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:04:49 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:04 UTC

On 20/04/2022 09:52, nospam wrote:
> In article <t3oesd$84e$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J
> <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> When using my iPad, specifically typing into Safari the URL of a
>> website, I sometimes make a mistake. The only way to correct it that
>> I've found is to backwards-delete to the mistake, remove the mistake,
>> and re-type the rest of the URL.
>>
>> What I would like to do is to move the cursor to the error, correct it,
>> then move the cursor to the end of line and continue. But my finger is
>> too fat to achieve this; I can only reliably place the cursor between
>> words which in the context of a URL which doesn't have spaces is
>> useless. Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
>> time, please?
>
> touch & hold the space bar until the keyboard goes blank, at which
> point you can move the cursor as needed.

So it does! 😀

Thank you.

(I wasn't waiting until the keyboard went blank!)

Re: iPad user question

<1pqpl0c.6vrgqr1qqu4ybN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8141&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8141

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 12:05:37 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:05 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <t3oesd$84e$1@dont-email.me>, Graham J
> <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > When using my iPad, specifically typing into Safari the URL of a
> > website, I sometimes make a mistake. The only way to correct it that
> > I've found is to backwards-delete to the mistake, remove the mistake,
> > and re-type the rest of the URL.
> >
> > What I would like to do is to move the cursor to the error, correct it,
> > then move the cursor to the end of line and continue. But my finger is
> > too fat to achieve this; I can only reliably place the cursor between
> > words which in the context of a URL which doesn't have spaces is
> > useless. Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
> > time, please?
>
> touch & hold the space bar until the keyboard goes blank, at which
> point you can move the cursor as needed.

Yes, and if you hold another finger on this 'trackpad'
while sliding the cursor you can select blocks of text,
and copy/cut/paste them.

Almost like a real text processor,

Jan

Re: iPad user question

<jcar60Fpbf7U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8145&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8145

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 20 Apr 2022 16:37:20 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:37 UTC

On 20 Apr 2022 at 10:04:36 BST, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> nospam wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
>>> time, please?
>>
>> touch & hold the space bar until the keyboard goes blank, at which
>> point you can move the cursor as needed.
>>

> ... then moving one's finger anywhere over the screen.
>
> Thank you!
>
> How was I to find that out by trial-and-error?

By accidentally resting a finger on the keyboard for about 1.5 seconds I
suppose. There was a bit of "hurray" noise about it five years ago or so
when it came in but if you missed that it's just another hard-to-find
feature.

> Having L R arrow keys on
> the synthetic keyboard would have been obvious, but I can understand the
> real-eatate limitation.

You can also click and hold in the type-in field, and move the insertion
point about directly. I *think* that's always been the case from
iPhoneOS original release. Not quite one-character-at-a-time but pretty
usable for most.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we
grow old because we stop playing"

Re: iPad user question

<4a33be15-9369-4bd6-a730-81e290478626n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8176&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8176

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 22:56:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: maripayp...@gmail.com (Mari Pap)
 by: Mari Pap - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 05:56 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 1:05:35 PM UTC+5, Graham J wrote:
> When using my iPad, specifically typing into Safari the URL of a
> website, I sometimes make a mistake. The only way to correct it that
> I've found is to backwards-delete to the mistake, remove the mistake,
> and re-type the rest of the URL.
>
> What I would like to do is to move the cursor to the error, correct it,
> then move the cursor to the end of line and continue. But my finger is
> too fat to achieve this; I can only reliably place the cursor between
> words which in the context of a URL which doesn't have spaces is
> useless. Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
> time, please?
>

> --
> Graham J
I also face this issue when I use my iPad and when I type URL of this website https://litfellow.com/best-laptops-for-multiple-monitors/ it goes wrong and I backspace the mistake then type again and it works ok for me.

Re: iPad user question

<Er79K.91340$F4h.77525@fx07.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8177&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8177

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DGB...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:59:32 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 07:59 UTC

On 24/04/2022 06:56, Mari Pap wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 1:05:35 PM UTC+5, Graham J wrote:
>> When using my iPad, specifically typing into Safari the URL of a
>> website, I sometimes make a mistake. The only way to correct it that
>> I've found is to backwards-delete to the mistake, remove the mistake,
>> and re-type the rest of the URL.
>>
>> What I would like to do is to move the cursor to the error, correct it,
>> then move the cursor to the end of line and continue. But my finger is
>> too fat to achieve this; I can only reliably place the cursor between
>> words which in the context of a URL which doesn't have spaces is
>> useless. Is there a mechanism for moving the cursor one character at a
>> time, please?
>>

>> --
>> Graham J
> I also face this issue when I use my iPad and when I type URL of this website https://litfellow.com/best-laptops-for-multiple-monitors/ it goes wrong and I backspace the mistake then type again and it works ok for me.

Just what I needed for my grandson!

Thanks for the link. 🙂