You will attract cultured and artistic people to your home.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?Tim Streater
`* OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?Jaimie Vandenbergh
 `* OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?Alan B
  `* OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?Jeff Gaines
   `* OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?Alan B
    `* OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?Graham J
     `* OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?Alan B
      `* OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?Graham J
       `- OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?TimS

1
OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<jc8armFai9oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8117&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8117

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?
Date: 19 Apr 2022 17:46:30 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:46 UTC

I just updated my Win10 VM (using VirtualBox, running on a 2018 Mini under
Mojave) as far as possible (to 21H2 IIRC) and in the process discovered that
this VM, as configured, can't run Win11. I only allocated it one CPU but that
can be easily changed, what seems more of a problem is that "TPM is not
detected". I'm only really using this VM for software testing; is there
anything in Win11 that's useful? Can I just install Win11 anyway?

--
Tim

Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<jc9cqdFglr4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8125&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8125

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?
Date: 20 Apr 2022 03:26:05 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:26 UTC

On 19 Apr 2022 at 18:46:30 BST, "Tim Streater"
<timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:

> I just updated my Win10 VM (using VirtualBox, running on a 2018 Mini under
> Mojave) as far as possible (to 21H2 IIRC) and in the process discovered that
> this VM, as configured, can't run Win11. I only allocated it one CPU but that
> can be easily changed, what seems more of a problem is that "TPM is not
> detected". I'm only really using this VM for software testing; is there
> anything in Win11 that's useful? Can I just install Win11 anyway?

The TPM is more or less a PC equivalent of the Secure Enclave that Macs
have, it's a chunk of hardware (or in your case, an emulated one) to
store secret keys and other nonsense.

Depending on your VM host, getting one may be as simple as ticking a box
in the hardware config for your VM, or may be unsupported.

There's nothing in Win11 that's really useful, unless your software
testing is intended to also target Win11 in which case it's naturally
essential. You'd need a separate Win11 VM, because you'll still need to
test against the current Win10 one. Make a copy and upgrade that, if you
can and want to.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my VAX 11/780

Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<t3o92n$15k$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8126&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8126

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:26:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:26 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2022 at 18:46:30 BST, "Tim Streater"
> <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
>
>> I just updated my Win10 VM (using VirtualBox, running on a 2018 Mini under
>> Mojave) as far as possible (to 21H2 IIRC) and in the process discovered that
>> this VM, as configured, can't run Win11. I only allocated it one CPU but that
>> can be easily changed, what seems more of a problem is that "TPM is not
>> detected". I'm only really using this VM for software testing; is there
>> anything in Win11 that's useful? Can I just install Win11 anyway?
>
> The TPM is more or less a PC equivalent of the Secure Enclave that Macs
> have, it's a chunk of hardware (or in your case, an emulated one) to
> store secret keys and other nonsense.
>
> Depending on your VM host, getting one may be as simple as ticking a box
> in the hardware config for your VM, or may be unsupported.

Yes Parallels now includes such functionality.

<https://kb.parallels.com/122702>

> There's nothing in Win11 that's really useful, unless your software
> testing is intended to also target Win11 in which case it's naturally
> essential. You'd need a separate Win11 VM, because you'll still need to
> test against the current Win10 one. Make a copy and upgrade that, if you
> can and want to.

Seems more like a tarted up Windows 10 from my admittedly limited
experience! But I guess it looks prettier to some?

- -
Cheers, Alan

Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<xn0ngu5xj9e170h00i@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8129&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8129

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 20 Apr 2022 07:44:17 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:44 UTC

On 20/04/2022 in message
<t3o92n$15k$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org> Alan B wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>On 19 Apr 2022 at 18:46:30 BST, "Tim Streater"
>><timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I just updated my Win10 VM (using VirtualBox, running on a 2018 Mini
>>>under
>>>Mojave) as far as possible (to 21H2 IIRC) and in the process discovered
>>>that
>>>this VM, as configured, can't run Win11. I only allocated it one CPU but
>>>that
>>>can be easily changed, what seems more of a problem is that "TPM is not
>>>detected". I'm only really using this VM for software testing; is there
>>>anything in Win11 that's useful? Can I just install Win11 anyway?
>>
>>The TPM is more or less a PC equivalent of the Secure Enclave that Macs
>>have, it's a chunk of hardware (or in your case, an emulated one) to
>>store secret keys and other nonsense.
>>
>>Depending on your VM host, getting one may be as simple as ticking a box
>>in the hardware config for your VM, or may be unsupported.
>
>Yes Parallels now includes such functionality.
>
><https://kb.parallels.com/122702>
>
>>There's nothing in Win11 that's really useful, unless your software
>>testing is intended to also target Win11 in which case it's naturally
>>essential. You'd need a separate Win11 VM, because you'll still need to
>>test against the current Win10 one. Make a copy and upgrade that, if you
>>can and want to.
>
>Seems more like a tarted up Windows 10 from my admittedly limited
>experience! But I guess it looks prettier to some?
>
>- -
>Cheers, Alan

I think tarted down:

https://www.techadvisor.com/news/windows/windows-11-missing-features-3806250/

The most obvious change is that the Taskbar sits at the bottom and you
need third party software if you want to move it. Astonishes me, as
screens get shorter and shorter MSFT introduces the Ribbon and now an
unmovable Taskbar, wonder if anybody there knows what's going on in the
world.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<t3oihm$s8$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8137&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8137

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:08:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:08 UTC

On 2022-04-20, Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/04/2022 in message
><t3o92n$15k$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org> Alan B wrote:
>
>>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>>The TPM is more or less a PC equivalent of the Secure Enclave that Macs
>>>have, it's a chunk of hardware (or in your case, an emulated one) to
>>>store secret keys and other nonsense.
>>>
>>>Depending on your VM host, getting one may be as simple as ticking a box
>>>in the hardware config for your VM, or may be unsupported.
>>
>>Yes Parallels now includes such functionality.
>>
>><https://kb.parallels.com/122702>
>>
>>>There's nothing in Win11 that's really useful, unless your software
>>>testing is intended to also target Win11 in which case it's naturally
>>>essential. You'd need a separate Win11 VM, because you'll still need to
>>>test against the current Win10 one. Make a copy and upgrade that, if you
>>>can and want to.
>>
>>Seems more like a tarted up Windows 10 from my admittedly limited
>>experience! But I guess it looks prettier to some?
>>
>>- -
>>Cheers, Alan
>
> I think tarted down:
>
> https://www.techadvisor.com/news/windows/windows-11-missing-features-3806250/
>
> The most obvious change is that the Taskbar sits at the bottom and you
> need third party software if you want to move it. Astonishes me, as
> screens get shorter and shorter MSFT introduces the Ribbon and now an
> unmovable Taskbar, wonder if anybody there knows what's going on in the
> world.

There's a few changes to the right click menu which seem to have changed
too. Copy and paste seem to be under 'other' for instance. OK ctrl c etc.
work but why the change? No doubt there'll be a lot more other irritations
I discover if I use W11 more often.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<t3oivo$5ic$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8138&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8138

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:15:29 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:15 UTC

Alan B wrote:

[snip]

> There's a few changes to the right click menu which seem to have changed
> too. Copy and paste seem to be under 'other' for instance. OK ctrl c etc.
> work but why the change? No doubt there'll be a lot more other irritations
> I discover if I use W11 more often.

MS makes changes for the sake of it. Many interpret this as a
deliberate attempt to annoy. I suspect Apple does the same.

--
Graham J

Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<t3oj7o$6ub$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8139&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8139

From: alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:19:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:19 UTC

On 2022-04-20, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> Alan B wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> There's a few changes to the right click menu which seem to have changed
>> too. Copy and paste seem to be under 'other' for instance. OK ctrl c etc.
>> work but why the change? No doubt there'll be a lot more other irritations
>> I discover if I use W11 more often.
>>

> MS makes changes for the sake of it. Many interpret this as a
> deliberate attempt to annoy. I suspect Apple does the same.

No doubt all part of their ongoing platform evolution strategy ;)
Incidentally I'm using a tech preview version of W11 so I'm not out of
pocket.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<t3okqd$jr6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8140&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8140

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:46:44 +0100
 by: Graham J - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:46 UTC

Alan B wrote:
> On 2022-04-20, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>> Alan B wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> There's a few changes to the right click menu which seem to have changed
>>> too. Copy and paste seem to be under 'other' for instance. OK ctrl c etc.
>>> work but why the change? No doubt there'll be a lot more other irritations
>>> I discover if I use W11 more often.
>>>

>> MS makes changes for the sake of it. Many interpret this as a
>> deliberate attempt to annoy. I suspect Apple does the same.
>
> No doubt all part of their ongoing platform evolution strategy ;)
> Incidentally I'm using a tech preview version of W11 so I'm not out of
> pocket.

Something I would like to see:

From File Explorer, a search for <string> shows all the files that
contain that string - as expected. I can then choose to open one of
those files. Let's suppose it is an Excel spreadsheet.

If I now want to find that string in the opened file, I have to use the
search facility within the app (Excel) that relates to the file type.
So it's a two-step process.

What would be nice:
Search <string>;
Open one of the files;
The file opens automatically with the focus at the first location (cell)
that contains the searched-for string.

--
Graham J

Re: OT: Windows 11? TPM? Wot that?

<jcakl9Fo3b2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8142&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8142

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 20 Apr 2022 14:46:01 GMT
 by: TimS - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:46 UTC

On 20 Apr 2022 at 10:46:44 BST, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Alan B wrote:
>> On 2022-04-20, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Alan B wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> MS makes changes for the sake of it. Many interpret this as a
>>> deliberate attempt to annoy. I suspect Apple does the same.
>>
>> No doubt all part of their ongoing platform evolution strategy ;)
>> Incidentally I'm using a tech preview version of W11 so I'm not out of
>> pocket.
>

> Something I would like to see:
>
> From File Explorer, a search for <string> shows all the files that
> contain that string - as expected. I can then choose to open one of
> those files. Let's suppose it is an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> If I now want to find that string in the opened file, I have to use the
> search facility within the app (Excel) that relates to the file type.
> So it's a two-step process.
>
> What would be nice:
> Search <string>;
> Open one of the files;
> The file opens automatically with the focus at the first location (cell)
> that contains the searched-for string.

That would require the string to be fed to the app which would then do the
second search. Entirely do-able, but requires work in each app.
--
Tim