A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

SubjectAuthor
* OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?David
+* Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?fred
|+* Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?Brian Gaff
||+- Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?David Wade
||`- Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?rick
|`* Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?rick
| `* Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?Vir Campestris
|  +- Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?S Viemeister
|  `- Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?David Wade
`- Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?David Wade

1
OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<jti3acFmmntU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78004&group=uk.d-i-y#78004

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?
Date: 15 Nov 2022 18:15:40 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:15 UTC

Background: I have inherited some luggage which is "venerable" but of good
quality.

I have read on line that there are 7 types of TSA keys, and the locks
should show a number which indicates which of the 7 keys to use.

I can't find such a number on the old suitcase.

My new suitcase has a combination lock and I'm concerned that this could
get reset during TSA checks, so I will be ordering a TSA key - the lock
says TSA0007.

I assume that if you were to travel with a locked pre-TSA suitcase you
could end up with a broken lock.

Finally, are there keys available which will open all 7 variants of TSA
locks, or do the TSA just have a ring with 7 keys on?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<8f88a78f-3469-4872-941f-b28731019f86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78073&group=uk.d-i-y#78073

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 02:16:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 10:16 UTC

On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 6:15:45 PM UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
> Background: I have inherited some luggage which is "venerable" but of good
> quality.
>
> I have read on line that there are 7 types of TSA keys, and the locks
> should show a number which indicates which of the 7 keys to use.
>
> I can't find such a number on the old suitcase.
>
> My new suitcase has a combination lock and I'm concerned that this could
> get reset during TSA checks, so I will be ordering a TSA key - the lock
> says TSA0007.
>
> I assume that if you were to travel with a locked pre-TSA suitcase you
> could end up with a broken lock.
>
> Finally, are there keys available which will open all 7 variants of TSA
> locks, or do the TSA just have a ring with 7 keys on?
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R
>

> --
> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

Don't lock the case

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<tl2e6v$2b3i7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78076&group=uk.d-i-y#78076

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 10:31:58 +0000
 by: David Wade - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 10:31 UTC

On 15/11/2022 18:15, David wrote:
> Background: I have inherited some luggage which is "venerable" but of good
> quality.
>
> I have read on line that there are 7 types of TSA keys, and the locks
> should show a number which indicates which of the 7 keys to use.
>
> I can't find such a number on the old suitcase.

If there is no number its pre-TSA and if in the USA or transiting they
WILL force the locks, if you lock it. If you don't lock it its likely
its contents will dissappear. So just like you XP computer that still
works, its time to upgrade.

> My new suitcase has a combination lock and I'm concerned that this could
> get reset during TSA checks, so I will be ordering a TSA key - the lock
> says TSA0007.

Never had that problem with mine.

> I assume that if you were to travel with a locked pre-TSA suitcase you
> could end up with a broken lock.

They usually wrap it up again, but most of the pre-tsa locks can be
opened with a suitcase.

> Finally, are there keys available which will open all 7 variants of TSA
> locks, or do the TSA just have a ring with 7 keys on?

They have a ring. We have copies I believe because some one posted a
picture. This shows the futility of putting "back doors" in security
system. Just google TSA Key in goolgle images.

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Dave

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<tl2j6t$2bhq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78103&group=uk.d-i-y#78103

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 11:57:15 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 11:57 UTC

I thought this was why most border points X-rayed cases?

What is the point in having a secure case if anyone from a border point
might be able to open it and nick stuff? I don't get it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"fred" <tpmccann@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 6:15:45 PM UTC, David WE Roberts (Google)
> wrote:
>> Background: I have inherited some luggage which is "venerable" but of
>> good
>> quality.
>>
>> I have read on line that there are 7 types of TSA keys, and the locks
>> should show a number which indicates which of the 7 keys to use.
>>
>> I can't find such a number on the old suitcase.
>>
>> My new suitcase has a combination lock and I'm concerned that this could
>> get reset during TSA checks, so I will be ordering a TSA key - the lock
>> says TSA0007.
>>
>> I assume that if you were to travel with a locked pre-TSA suitcase you
>> could end up with a broken lock.
>>
>> Finally, are there keys available which will open all 7 variants of TSA
>> locks, or do the TSA just have a ring with 7 keys on?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

>> --
>> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64
>

> Don't lock the case

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<tl30j9$2cea9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78144&group=uk.d-i-y#78144

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:45:43 +0000
 by: David Wade - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:45 UTC

On 16/11/2022 11:57, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I thought this was why most border points X-rayed cases?
>
> What is the point in having a secure case if anyone from a border point
> might be able to open it and nick stuff? I don't get it.
> Brian

I don't get most things about USA border and customs, but it is what it
is. Try and enter the USA with a case with a non TSA lock and its a red
rag to a bull...=

Dave

> -- --: This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of
> Brian Gaff... briang1@blueyonder.co.uk Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.! "fred" <tpmccann@gmail.com> wrote
> in message news:8f88a78f-3469-4872-941f-b28731019f86n@googlegroups.com...
>> On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 6:15:45 PM UTC, David WE Roberts (Google)
>> wrote:
>>> Background: I have inherited some luggage which is "venerable" but of
>>> good
>>> quality.
>>>
>>> I have read on line that there are 7 types of TSA keys, and the locks
>>> should show a number which indicates which of the 7 keys to use.
>>>
>>> I can't find such a number on the old suitcase.
>>>
>>> My new suitcase has a combination lock and I'm concerned that this could
>>> get reset during TSA checks, so I will be ordering a TSA key - the lock
>>> says TSA0007.
>>>
>>> I assume that if you were to travel with a locked pre-TSA suitcase you
>>> could end up with a broken lock.
>>>
>>> Finally, are there keys available which will open all 7 variants of TSA
>>> locks, or do the TSA just have a ring with 7 keys on?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>>> Dave R
>>>

>>> --
>>> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64
>>
>> Don't lock the case

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<tmt0rh$1fl2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80687&group=uk.d-i-y#80687

From: rick_hug...@_remove_btconnect.com (rick)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:45:53 +0000
 by: rick - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:45 UTC

On 16/11/2022 10:16, fred wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 6:15:45 PM UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
>> Background: I have inherited some luggage which is "venerable" but of good
>> quality.
>>

> Don't lock the case

I have 2 hardshell cases that you cant fit TSA locks to ....both have
had latches broken open (and ruined) by TSA
Nice piece of paper found inside advising they opened the case, its
their right, and I should not lock it.
You can't claim for the damage.

Great idea to leave cases unlocked for baggage handler thieves.

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<tmt0tu$1fl2$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80688&group=uk.d-i-y#80688

From: rick_hug...@_remove_btconnect.com (rick)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:47:10 +0000
 by: rick - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 15:47 UTC

On 16/11/2022 11:57, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I thought this was why most border points X-rayed cases?
>
> What is the point in having a secure case if anyone from a border point
> might be able to open it and nick stuff? I don't get it.
> Brian

I have had cases forced open in San Francisco and Dallas .... ruined the
case, was held together by Gaffa tape when it arrived back to me.

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<tnceth$2pa7m$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81364&group=uk.d-i-y#81364

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 12:17:53 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 12:17 UTC

On 08/12/2022 15:45, rick wrote:
> Great idea to leave cases unlocked for baggage handler thieves.

Put a luggage strap around it. The TSA can open it, but it ought to make
the thieves go for an easier target.

FWIW in all my years of flying for work I've never had the TSA or a
thief open a case <fx touch wood>. I have had one wrecked by the baggage
handlers - and annoyingly the airline replaced a bright red with chrome
corners easy to spot case with a plain black one - and one day where
someone took the wrong case. The plain black one like a million others.
Leaving their own on the carousel. I got mine back next day.

I've now got a whipping around the handle to discourage a repeat.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot> not anything to do with
punishment!

Andy

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<jvu2ivFsg7gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81374&group=uk.d-i-y#81374

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:49:18 +0000
 by: S Viemeister - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:49 UTC

On 14/12/2022 12:17, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 08/12/2022 15:45, rick wrote:
>> Great idea to leave cases unlocked for baggage handler thieves.
>
> Put a luggage strap around it. The TSA can open it, but it ought to make
> the thieves go for an easier target.

Friends of mine took that advice.

TSA _cut_ the straps off.

Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?

<tnf9h3$33j6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81542&group=uk.d-i-y#81542

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 14:04:19 +0000
 by: David Wade - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 14:04 UTC

On 14/12/2022 12:17, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 08/12/2022 15:45, rick wrote:
>> Great idea to leave cases unlocked for baggage handler thieves.
>
> Put a luggage strap around it. The TSA can open it, but it ought to make
> the thieves go for an easier target.
>
> FWIW in all my years of flying for work I've never had the TSA or a
> thief open a case <fx touch wood>. I have had one wrecked by the baggage
> handlers - and annoyingly the airline replaced a bright red with chrome
> corners easy to spot case with a plain black one - and one day where
> someone took the wrong case. The plain black one like a million others.
> Leaving their own on the carousel. I got mine back next day.
>
> I've now got a whipping around the handle to discourage a repeat.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot> not anything to do with
> punishment!
>
> Andy
Firts time I flew to the states and didn't realize I needed TSA locks my
case was forced.

Dave

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT - TSA keys and pre-TSA locks?