Great American Axiom: Some is good, more is better, too much is just right.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT: Striking and pay

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Striking and payR D S
+- Re: OT: Striking and payARW
+* Re: OT: Striking and payPaul
|`- Re: OT: Striking and paychop
`* Re: Striking and payBrian Gaff
 +* Re: Striking and payAndrew
 |`- Re: Striking and paychop
 +- Re: Striking and payRod Speed
 `* Re: Striking and payCursitor Doom
  +* Re: Striking and payalan_m
  |`* Re: Striking and payCursitor Doom
  | `* Re: Striking and payThe Natural Philosopher
  |  `* Re: Striking and payCursitor Doom
  |   `- Re: Striking and paychop
  +- Re: Striking and payThe Natural Philosopher
  +* Re: Striking and payTim Streater
  |`* Re: Striking and payThe Natural Philosopher
  | `- Re: Striking and payR Souls
  `* Re: Striking and payVir Campestris
   `- Re: Striking and payThe Natural Philosopher

1
OT: Striking and pay

<tnfo3i$34tkn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81602&group=uk.d-i-y#81602

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (R D S)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: Striking and pay
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:13:06 +0000
 by: R D S - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:13 UTC

I know there is disparity with what the elite earn and what those on the
frontline take home but whenever I hear of a strike and look into what
people earn it surprises me how much they are on.

What are we calling a decent wage these days? Cos i'm happy with what I
earn and it's somewhere between postman and nurse!

Re: OT: Striking and pay

<tng1f3$35jsq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81649&group=uk.d-i-y#81649

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: Striking and pay
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:54:51 +0000
 by: ARW - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:54 UTC

On 15/12/2022 18:13, R D S wrote:
> I know there is disparity with what the elite earn and what those on the
> frontline take home but whenever I hear of a strike and look into what
> people earn it surprises me how much they are on.
>
> What are we calling a decent wage these days? Cos i'm happy with what I
> earn and it's somewhere between postman and nurse!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/63587909

for nurses

Of course the NHS spunked money away by offering nurses up to £100 per
hour to do Covid vaccinations at walk in centres on Boxing Day.

Re: OT: Striking and pay

<tngcvf$9o8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81677&group=uk.d-i-y#81677

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 19:09:19 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:09 UTC

On 12/15/2022 1:13 PM, R D S wrote:
> I know there is disparity with what the elite earn and what those on the frontline take home but whenever I hear of a strike and look into what people earn it surprises me how much they are on.
>
> What are we calling a decent wage these days? Cos i'm happy with what I earn and it's somewhere between postman and nurse!

The quickest way to take your temperature, is to ask you:

"How much money is in your retirement fund?"

If the answer is zero, then "Ding! Ding! Ding!".
That's trouble right there.

There's more to living than having beer money.

When someone at my work left, he had socked away
so little in assets (all burned as beer money), we
heard he was "on the street" three months later.
Couldn't pay the rent. No fixed address. Just
like that.

We were actually warned at work,
to have at least three months of assets in
a bank balance. That's how much above "beer
money" that is considered to be "minimum prudence".
You should have enough money to withstand
various "stress tests". In reality, that number
should be closer to about a year of salary.

A simple example happens, when the payroll computer
at your work breaks, and the boss can't issue checks.
That's just one of the reasons to have three months pay
socked in the bank. That happened to our *government*
employees here -- payroll system broke (long story),
many of them were receiving nothing, and you
"can't pay rent with IOUs". Sure, they might receive
a dozen checks six months later, but think of the accumulated
damage to reputation by then (bad credit rating etc).

At one time, we had "pay plus pension plan", they
took the pension plan away, the pay stayed the same.
Well that's a pay cut.

*******

The long and the short of it, without extending this rant,
is "cash in hand" is all that matters now. "Show me the money".
No one is going to help you, when you hit retirement,
your knees are bad from a life of work, and you're starving.

To put a round number on it, to be comfortable, you might
need twice as much as you're getting now.

If you're a working stiff, I see no reason for celebration.

Paul

Re: OT: Striking and pay

<op.1w8ukzmpnuhhzz@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81679&group=uk.d-i-y#81679

From: chop...@gmail.com (chop)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:35:13 +1100
 by: chop - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:35 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote
> On 12/15/2022 1:13 PM, R D S wrote:
>> I know there is disparity with what the elite earn and what those on
>> the frontline take home but whenever I hear of a strike and look into
>> what people earn it surprises me how much they are on.
>> What are we calling a decent wage these days? Cos i'm happy with what
>> I earn and it's somewhere between postman and nurse!
>
> The quickest way to take your temperature, is to ask you:
>
> "How much money is in your retirement fund?"
>
> If the answer is zero, then "Ding! Ding! Ding!".
> That's trouble right there.

Not necessarily.

> There's more to living than having beer money.

> When someone at my work left, he had socked away
> so little in assets (all burned as beer money), we
> heard he was "on the street" three months later.
> Couldn't pay the rent. No fixed address. Just
> like that.

Doesn't need to happen here, decent state pension
and rent subsidy and quite a bit of public housing.

> We were actually warned at work,
> to have at least three months of assets in
> a bank balance. That's how much above "beer
> money" that is considered to be "minimum prudence".

Not necessary here.

> You should have enough money to withstand
> various "stress tests". In reality, that number
> should be closer to about a year of salary.

Depends on how employable you are.

> A simple example happens, when the payroll computer
> at your work breaks, and the boss can't issue checks.

We dont get paid with checks and it doesnt take
3 months to fix a broken payroll computer.

> That's just one of the reasons to have three months pay
> socked in the bank. That happened to our *government*
> employees here -- payroll system broke (long story),
> many of them were receiving nothing,

Never happened here.

> and you
> "can't pay rent with IOUs".

You can't get kicked out of rental housing with
just 3 month rent in arrirs if the govt has fucked
up that spectacularly here.

> Sure, they might receive
> a dozen checks six months later, but think of the accumulated
> damage to reputation by then (bad credit rating etc).

Credit rating doesn't really matter much if you are renting.

> At one time, we had "pay plus pension plan", they
> took the pension plan away, the pay stayed the same.
> Well that's a pay cut.

Not legal here.

> *******

> The long and the short of it, without extending this rant,
> is "cash in hand" is all that matters now.

Makes no difference if its cash under the mattress
or in the bank account here even if the bank goes
bust, the bank deposits are govt guaranteed.

> "Show me the money".
> No one is going to help you, when you hit retirement,
> your knees are bad from a life of work, and you're starving.

That's bullshit too. The state pension stops you from starving
and provides a rental subsidy if you are destitute too.

> To put a round number on it, to be comfortable, you might
> need twice as much as you're getting now.

Nope, just have a credit card that you only use if the shit has hit the fan
and your employer has gone bust and you arent very employable.

> If you're a working stiff, I see no reason for celebration.

More fool you.

Re: Striking and pay

<tnhman$3c6ru$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81718&group=uk.d-i-y#81718

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Striking and pay
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54 UTC

I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
which quite frankly is exploitation.
Its no wonder so many of our medics seem to be working over in Australia.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"R D S" <rsandr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I know there is disparity with what the elite earn and what those on the
>frontline take home but whenever I hear of a strike and look into what
>people earn it surprises me how much they are on.
>
> What are we calling a decent wage these days? Cos i'm happy with what I
> earn and it's somewhere between postman and nurse!

Re: Striking and pay

<tnhoot$1kmn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81738&group=uk.d-i-y#81738

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:36:44 +0000
 by: Andrew - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:36 UTC

Since 2000 about £750,000,000 worth of UK trained doctors,
nurses and paramedics have emigrated permanently, mostly to
Oz and New Zealand.

That £3/4 billion is the cost of training their replacements.
They even keep all their accrued years in the NHS supernnuation
scheme so we will be on the hock for those payments when they
reach 60 as well.

Also, there is no NHS in Oz, because they have a compulsory
health insurance system of some sort and Oz does not spend
the sort of money that the UK has to on defence, state pensions
and all the freebie benefits that people can claim. This means
its a higher wage economy.

Andrew

On 16/12/2022 11:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
> children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
> which quite frankly is exploitation.
> Its no wonder so many of our medics seem to be working over in Australia.
> Brian

Re: Striking and pay

<op.1w96jyzfbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81798&group=uk.d-i-y#81798

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 04:51:24 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:51 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:54:59 +1100, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers.
> Public
> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more
> costly.
> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are
> with
> children.

> I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
> have staff.

Got any examples of that ? I can't think of any.

> A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
> which quite frankly is exploitation.

Bullshit.

> Its no wonder so many of our medics seem to be working over in
> Australia.

That's a different effect, its the best way of being a tourist
and it isnt just medics that do it, its most kids and plenty do
it in reverse too.

Re: Striking and pay

<op.1w97cyhznuhhzz@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81800&group=uk.d-i-y#81800

From: chop...@gmail.com (chop)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 05:08:48 +1100
 by: chop - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 18:08 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 23:36:44 +1100, Andrew
<Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

> Since 2000 about £750,000,000 worth of UK trained doctors,
> nurses and paramedics have emigrated permanently, mostly to
> Oz and New Zealand.
>
> That £3/4 billion is the cost of training their replacements.
> They even keep all their accrued years in the NHS supernnuation
> scheme so we will be on the hock for those payments when they
> reach 60 as well.
>
> Also, there is no NHS in Oz,

Wrong.

> because they have a compulsory
> health insurance system of some sort

Wrong.

> and Oz does not spend
> the sort of money that the UK has to on defence,

Wrong.

> state pensions

Wrong.

> and all the freebie benefits that people can claim.

Mostly wrong. We don't have your stupid Motorbility system
and your stupid handouts for winter, but that's about it.

> This means
> its a higher wage economy.

Utterly mangled all over again.

> On 16/12/2022 11:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers.
>> Public
>> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more
>> costly.
>> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are
>> with
>> children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most
>> important to
>> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
>> which quite frankly is exploitation.
>> Its no wonder so many of our medics seem to be working over in
>> Australia.
>> Brian

Re: Striking and pay

<7rgpphln0ekn7segdc6lkqrhtkbk9f1poe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81819&group=uk.d-i-y#81819

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:16:31 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:16 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
>transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
>Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
>children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
>have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
>which quite frankly is exploitation.

For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
best the UK has to offer?

Re: Striking and pay

<k041ovFps2jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81836&group=uk.d-i-y#81836

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:12:17 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:12 UTC

On 16/12/2022 19:16, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
>> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
>> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
>> children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
>> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
>> which quite frankly is exploitation.
>
> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
> best the UK has to offer?

The only qualifications most of them have is a degree in politics or
some other arts type bullshit. They have been educated by those that are
incapable of getting a real job and in reality are professional students
maybe with the title of professor.

Re: Striking and pay

<hampphlm1a7mek6cobrketeksbqoj3s0n3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81846&group=uk.d-i-y#81846

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:50:57 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:50 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:12:17 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 16/12/2022 19:16, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
>> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
>>> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
>>> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
>>> children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
>>> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
>>> which quite frankly is exploitation.
>>
>> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
>> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
>> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
>> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
>> best the UK has to offer?
>

>The only qualifications most of them have is a degree in politics or
>some other arts type bullshit. They have been educated by those that are
>incapable of getting a real job and in reality are professional students
>maybe with the title of professor.

Well then maybe it's time to consign "a career in politics" to the
dustbin of history and just draw decent, working people at random for
governmental service for a period of say 4 years and then send them
back to their normal lives? That way nobody gets too cozy and with no
greasy pole to climb, far less bribable?

Re: Striking and pay

<tnjpe4$3jthm$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81874&group=uk.d-i-y#81874

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 07:00:20 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 07:00 UTC

On 16/12/2022 19:16, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
>> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
>> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
>> children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
>> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
>> which quite frankly is exploitation.
>
> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
> best the UK has to offer?

No, they are simply the ones that will dance to the tune of the remainer
puppeteers and Kremlin pups who run the banks, media and the civil services.

Brexit was the vote against them, but they are still in parliament. For
how much longer is thequestion.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Re: Striking and pay

<tnjpf7$3jthm$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81875&group=uk.d-i-y#81875

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 07:00:55 +0000

On 16/12/2022 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:12:17 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 16/12/2022 19:16, Cursitor Doom wrote:

>>> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
>>> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
>>> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
>>> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
>>> best the UK has to offer?
>>

>> The only qualifications most of them have is a degree in politics or
>> some other arts type bullshit. They have been educated by those that are
>> incapable of getting a real job and in reality are professional students
>> maybe with the title of professor.
>
> Well then maybe it's time to consign "a career in politics" to the
> dustbin of history and just draw decent, working people at random for
> governmental service for a period of say 4 years and then send them
> back to their normal lives? That way nobody gets too cozy and with no
> greasy pole to climb, far less bribable?

Sort of 'jury system' eh?
--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.

Re: Striking and pay

<k05fsjF2cj6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81879&group=uk.d-i-y#81879

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Dec 2022 09:19:15 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 09:19 UTC

On 16 Dec 2022 at 19:16:31 GMT, "Cursitor Doom" <cd@notformail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
>> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
>> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
>> children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
>> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
>> which quite frankly is exploitation.
>
> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
> best the UK has to offer?

Don't talk cock. This govt may or may not be incompetent, but I see that in
the RMT we are back to the 1970s in terms of overmanning, so-called protection
of jobs, all the usual inefficiency bollocks of a nationalised industry.

--
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford

Re: Striking and pay

<tnk1mr$3kist$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81881&group=uk.d-i-y#81881

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 09:21:31 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 09:21 UTC

On 17/12/2022 09:19, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2022 at 19:16:31 GMT, "Cursitor Doom" <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
>> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
>>> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
>>> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
>>> children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
>>> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
>>> which quite frankly is exploitation.
>>
>> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
>> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
>> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
>> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
>> best the UK has to offer?
>
> Don't talk cock. This govt may or may not be incompetent, but I see that in
> the RMT we are back to the 1970s in terms of overmanning, so-called protection
> of jobs, all the usual inefficiency bollocks of a nationalised industry.

As well as being run by a communist whose agenda is the overthrow of
society.

--
“It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on

Re: Striking and pay

<l8srph9csblm0t9p4cu5ioovqvonsk7rpl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81940&group=uk.d-i-y#81940

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 16:50:11 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 16:50 UTC

On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 07:00:55 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 16/12/2022 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:12:17 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> The only qualifications most of them have is a degree in politics or
>>> some other arts type bullshit. They have been educated by those that are
>>> incapable of getting a real job and in reality are professional students
>>> maybe with the title of professor.
>>
>> Well then maybe it's time to consign "a career in politics" to the
>> dustbin of history and just draw decent, working people at random for
>> governmental service for a period of say 4 years and then send them
>> back to their normal lives? That way nobody gets too cozy and with no
>> greasy pole to climb, far less bribable?
>
>Sort of 'jury system' eh?

The way I see it, there is a different trajectory going forwards for
politicians to the rest of us. So many of them end up in the House of
Lords or on the speech circuit or as 'directors' of large companies
where they get paid vast amounts just for attending board meetings
once a month, even though they contribute nothing to the running of
the company. AISI, these are all just rewards for selling-out to
foreign/business interests. That needs to end and it's simply
extraordinary that it is permitted to continue in 2022. So putting an
end to career politics by returning the decision-makers to normal life
after a limited stint as lawmakers seems a better way forward than
letting them graduate to the lucrative gravy train they can ride for
stabbing us all in the back as things stand at present.

Re: Striking and pay

<op.1xb0yhp2nuhhzz@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81946&group=uk.d-i-y#81946

From: chop...@gmail.com (chop)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 04:45:43 +1100
 by: chop - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 17:45 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 03:50:11 +1100, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 07:00:55 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 16/12/2022 20:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:

>>> Well then maybe it's time to consign "a career in politics" to the
>>> dustbin of history and just draw decent, working people at random for
>>> governmental service for a period of say 4 years and then send them
>>> back to their normal lives? That way nobody gets too cozy and with no
>>> greasy pole to climb, far less bribable?
>>
>> Sort of 'jury system' eh?
>
> The way I see it, there is a different trajectory going forwards for
> politicians to the rest of us. So many of them end up in the House of
> Lords or on the speech circuit or as 'directors' of large companies
> where they get paid vast amounts just for attending board meetings
> once a month, even though they contribute nothing to the running of
> the company.

That doesn't happen with most of the politicians.

> AISI, these are all just rewards for selling-out to
> foreign/business interests.

Mindless conspiracy theory.

> That needs to end

Not going to happen unless the HoL is radically changed
and isn't going to happen with company directors.

> and it's simply
> extraordinary that it is permitted to continue in 2022.

With the HoL, sure. But then you lot still have about the
only great raft of royal parasites left in the world too.

> So putting an
> end to career politics

Not going to happen and its far from clear that that is even desirable.

> by returning the decision-makers to normal life
> after a limited stint as lawmakers seems a better way forward than
> letting them graduate to the lucrative gravy train they can ride for
> stabbing us all in the back as things stand at present.

Trouble is that you would end up with parliament with no one
with any real experience in politics. Can't see that working.

Re: Striking and pay

<5o4sph9i47hdnpdacicmnqvqadgs5fk2jr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81956&group=uk.d-i-y#81956

From: ron.so...@aol.com (R Souls)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 19:06:12 +0000
 by: R Souls - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 19:06 UTC

On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 09:21:31 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 17/12/2022 09:19, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 16 Dec 2022 at 19:16:31 GMT, "Cursitor Doom" <cd@notformail.com> wrote:

>>> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
>>> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
>>> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
>>> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
>>> best the UK has to offer?
>>
>> Don't talk cock. This govt may or may not be incompetent, but I see that in
>> the RMT we are back to the 1970s in terms of overmanning, so-called protection
>> of jobs, all the usual inefficiency bollocks of a nationalised industry.
>>
>As well as being run by a communist whose agenda is the overthrow of
>society.

Are you pissed again?

Re: Striking and pay

<tns7g7$lvr7$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82253&group=uk.d-i-y#82253

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:49:27 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:49 UTC

On 16/12/2022 19:16, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers. Public
>> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more costly.
>> Then of course there is childcare costs as well, aas many Nurses are with
>> children. I do feel that we often pay lower wages to the most important to
>> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old 'its a vocation' thing,
>> which quite frankly is exploitation.
>
> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
> best the UK has to offer?

We've had to reschedule a trip to London because of the train strikes.

Do these people think this will encourage people to use the trains?

Andy

Re: Striking and pay

<tnsgoq$n3rp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82278&group=uk.d-i-y#82278

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:27:38 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:27 UTC

On 20/12/2022 11:49, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 16/12/2022 19:16, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:54:59 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
>> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think there are several things that are different fo shift workers.
>>> Public
>>> transport is not always there, and parking for vehicles is ever more
>>> costly.
>>> Then of course there is childcare costs  as well, aas many Nurses are
>>> with
>>> children. I do feel that  we often pay lower wages to the most
>>> important to
>>> have staff. A lot of this boils down to the old  'its a vocation' thing,
>>> which quite frankly is exploitation.
>>
>> For a change I agree with you, Brian. I'd paid for a trip to London
>> over Xmas which I've had to abandon because of all the strikes, but I
>> don't blame the workers. This shambles is all down to the most
>> incompetent government in recent memory. Are these people really the
>> best the UK has to offer?
>
> We've had to reschedule a trip to London because of the train strikes.
>
> Do these people think this will encourage people to use the trains?

Of course not. The idea is to force the train companies into bankruptcy,
force all fuel cars off the road and leave state owned public transport
as the only option, completely under the control of a Kremlin controlled
Union

> Andy

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT: Striking and pay