Dennis Ritchie is twice as bright as Steve Jobs, and only half wrong. -- Jim Gettys

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

SubjectAuthor
* Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?ARW
+- Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Colin Bignell
+* Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?The Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Brian Gaff
+- Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Brian Gaff
+- Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Mike Rogers
`* Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Robin
 `* Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?ARW
  +* Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Jim gm4dhj ...
  |`* Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?ARW
  | `- Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?GB
  +* Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Robin
  |+- Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Rod Speed
  |`* Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?ARW
  | `- Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Robin
  `- Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?Brian Gaff

1
Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tnbkgu$2ntor$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81324&group=uk.d-i-y#81324

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 04:49:25 +0000
 by: ARW - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 04:49 UTC

The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
nothing to fix.

So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after getting
the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?

Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).

--
Adam

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<gQSdnUsHqPwqFAT-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81332&group=uk.d-i-y#81332

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 08:30:46 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 08:30 UTC

On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
> nothing to fix.
>
> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after getting
> the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>
> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
> RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).

<1
--
Colin Bignell

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tnc526$2p1jv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81339&group=uk.d-i-y#81339

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:29:42 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:29 UTC

On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
> nothing to fix.
>
> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after getting
> the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?

3 miles

> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
> RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tnccqg$2plbb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81357&group=uk.d-i-y#81357

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:42:05 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:42 UTC

Probably a bit late to this, but my late father used to say that he would
swear that some days his car was invisible, and people seemed to always head
straight for the car. It did not matter what colour it was, but other times
all was good. Another phenomenon is the freshly repaired or new car
attraction syndrome, where it seemed that something would scrape the sides
or even the back during the days after it was first driven.

Myself, I think these are just variations of the laws of Mr Sod and Murphy.
A friend of mine came across this in a very expensive way some years ago.
She had bought herself a second hand aeroplane, and it had been serviced and
all systems tested. It was a Jodel, a very robust craft, but she still lost
it because on a flight from the Netherlands to Iceland a small hole or leak
of some kind developed in the fuel system and she had to ditch it in the sea
about a couple of hundred yards from the Icelandic coast. Insurance would
not pay up due to them saying that although she had paid her money, the
processing had not been finished. I think they eventually settled the claim,
but not in full.
So think of this the next time you get just a dent in a van.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"ARW" <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work nothing
> to fix.
>
> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after getting
> the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>
> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey RNLI
> (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).
>

> --
> Adam

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tncd59$2pm3m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81359&group=uk.d-i-y#81359

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:47:49 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:47 UTC

I'd suspect a few hundred yards before somebody trying to do a three point
turn in the end of a turning reversed into the side of it, despite having
sensors.
Do you know a guy reversed into my leg once, in his haste to turn his
clamping wagon round to put a clamp on a vehicle in the opposite turning.
Luckily he did not break anything, I was just bruised. It reminds me of that
bloke whose insurance clame said. The streetlight was out and I backed into
my neighbours drive by mistake and collided with a tree I don't have.
Brian

--

--:
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
>> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work nothing
>> to fix.
>>
>> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after getting
>> the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>>
> 3 miles
>
>> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey RNLI
>> (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).
>>

> --
> If I had all the money I've spent on drink...
> ..I'd spend it on drink.
>
> Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<lIKcnS0JzvlpVAT-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81370&group=uk.d-i-y#81370

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:04:52 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: mik...@mattishall.org.uk (Mike Rogers)
 by: Mike Rogers - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:04 UTC

On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
> nothing to fix.
>
> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after getting
> the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>
> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
> RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).

22?
Mike

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<321ab27d-faba-8e13-ffe1-e3202f396d06@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81375&group=uk.d-i-y#81375

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 14:02:40 +0000
 by: Robin - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 14:02 UTC

On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
> nothing to fix.
>
> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after getting
> the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>
> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
> RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).

0 - on the basis that in this weather even the best of drivers could hit
it where it was parked ready for you

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztpoEgTUQDc

--
Robin

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tnd2of$2rd07$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81399&group=uk.d-i-y#81399

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:58:30 +0000
 by: ARW - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:58 UTC

On 14/12/2022 14:02, Robin wrote:
> On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
>> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
>> nothing to fix.
>>
>> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after
>> getting the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>>
>> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
>> RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).
>>

> 0 - on the basis that in this weather even the best of drivers could hit
> it where it was parked ready for you

Zero. Someone reversed into whilst I was collecting the keys from the
office.

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tnd45c$2rgle$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81402&group=uk.d-i-y#81402

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim gm4dhj ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 18:20:27 +0000
 by: Jim gm4dhj ... - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 18:20 UTC

On 14/12/2022 17:58, ARW wrote:
> On 14/12/2022 14:02, Robin wrote:
>> On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
>>> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
>>> nothing to fix.
>>>
>>> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after
>>> getting the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>>>
>>> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
>>> RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).
>>>

>> 0 - on the basis that in this weather even the best of drivers could
>> hit it where it was parked ready for you
>>

> Zero. Someone reversed into whilst I was collecting the keys from the
> office.

a wummmin no doubt

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tnd94o$2rrhj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81412&group=uk.d-i-y#81412

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 19:47:27 +0000
 by: ARW - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 19:47 UTC

On 14/12/2022 18:20, Jim gm4dhj ... wrote:
> On 14/12/2022 17:58, ARW wrote:

>>> 0 - on the basis that in this weather even the best of drivers could
>>> hit it where it was parked ready for you
>>>

>> Zero. Someone reversed into whilst I was collecting the keys from the
>> office.
>>
> a wummmin no doubt

Could be anything these days

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:GNtoilets.jpg

is next to the same sex toilets.

What's the difference?

All the troughs have gone so you have to piss in the sink.

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tndb8l$2s400$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81421&group=uk.d-i-y#81421

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 20:21:42 +0000
 by: GB - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 20:21 UTC

Someone reversed out of a parking space today, and stopped within a
couple of inches of hitting us. If they had hit us, even just damaging a
couple of panels would probably have written off our car, as it's over
16 years old.

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<db40ac49-0772-8a2d-29e7-8b127e601459@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81430&group=uk.d-i-y#81430

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 22:05:56 +0000
 by: Robin - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 22:05 UTC

On 14/12/2022 17:58, ARW wrote:
> On 14/12/2022 14:02, Robin wrote:
>> On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
>>> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
>>> nothing to fix.
>>>
>>> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after
>>> getting the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>>>
>>> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
>>> RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).
>>>

>> 0 - on the basis that in this weather even the best of drivers could
>> hit it where it was parked ready for you
>>

> Zero. Someone reversed into whilst I was collecting the keys from the
> office.

And with your run of luck with vans they probably then argued it was all
your fault 'cos you shouldn't have parked it there.

ISTM the fund in need of donations is the
make-it-a-big-one-after-another-bloody-day-like-that

--
Robin

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<op.1w6x67w6byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81445&group=uk.d-i-y#81445

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 10:58:09 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 23:58 UTC

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 09:05:56 +1100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 14/12/2022 17:58, ARW wrote:

>>> 0 - on the basis that in this weather even the best of drivers could
>>> hit it where it was parked ready for you
>>>
>> Zero. Someone reversed into whilst I was collecting the keys from the
>> office.
>>
> And with your run of luck with vans they probably then argued it was all
> your fault 'cos you shouldn't have parked it there.

Likely he didnt, that's why he had to get the keys from the office.

> ISTM the fund in need of donations is the
> make-it-a-big-one-after-another-bloody-day-like-that

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tnf9tk$33o13$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81543&group=uk.d-i-y#81543

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 14:10:56 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 14:10 UTC

I was not all that wrong then about reversing into it. I suppose most
vehicles are made of cheap plastic around the backs these days makes since.
Brian

--

--:
> On 14/12/2022 14:02, Robin wrote:
>> On 14/12/2022 04:49, ARW wrote:
>>> The breakdown was actually part of a Peugeot recall and cost work
>>> nothing to fix.
>>>
>>> So this weeks quiz is how many miles did I manage to drive after getting
>>> the keys back until someone managed to drive into it?
>>>
>>> Nearest answer will win nothing but I'll double my donation to Filey
>>> RNLI (Jeff Layman's suggestion to donate to them).
>>>

>> 0 - on the basis that in this weather even the best of drivers could hit
>> it where it was parked ready for you
>>

> Zero. Someone reversed into whilst I was collecting the keys from the
> office.

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<tnfqeh$352b9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81615&group=uk.d-i-y#81615

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:55:06 +0000
 by: ARW - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 18:55 UTC

On 14/12/2022 22:05, Robin wrote:
> On 14/12/2022 17:58, ARW wrote:

>>> 0 - on the basis that in this weather even the best of drivers could
>>> hit it where it was parked ready for you
>>>

>> Zero. Someone reversed into whilst I was collecting the keys from the
>> office.
>>
> And with your run of luck with vans they probably then argued it was all
> your fault 'cos you shouldn't have parked it there.

I actually have had similar in the past in my car. A car reversed out of
a driveway and hit my car. She got out her car and said "That's not my
fault - your car was not parked there when I pulled onto the driveway"

My van is tracked and records every time I speed and Lou also now drives
a tracked car at work.

She gets an email from her employer if she breaks the speed limit - I do
not:-)

BTW did you get the photo's of "that house " I sent you from my mobile?

Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?

<386f23c8-7460-3b17-fc65-fd0630eb2016@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81650&group=uk.d-i-y#81650

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:59:02 +0000
 by: Robin - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:59 UTC

On 15/12/2022 18:55, ARW wrote:
> On 14/12/2022 22:05, Robin wrote:

>>> Zero. Someone reversed into whilst I was collecting the keys from the
>>> office.
>>>
>> And with your run of luck with vans they probably then argued it was
>> all your fault 'cos you shouldn't have parked it there.
>
> I actually have had similar in the past in my car. A car reversed out of
> a driveway and hit my car. She got out her car and said "That's not my
> fault - your car was not parked there when I pulled onto the driveway"
>
> My van is tracked and records every time I speed and Lou also now drives
> a tracked car at work.
>
> She gets an email from her employer if she breaks the speed limit - I do
> not:-)
>
> BTW did you get the photo's of "that house " I sent you from my mobile?

Short answer: ahem, yes.

Longer answer: yes but I'd rationalised my Rules in Outlook and it ended
up in the equivalent of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused
lavatory which I visit only rarely. Sorry.
--
Robin

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Got the new van back - how many miles before it was crashed into?