Yes, but every time I try to see things your way, I get a headache.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Is it something I have said???

SubjectAuthor
* Is it something I have said???Mike McMillan
+* Is it something I have said???Vicky
|`- Is it something I have said???Mike McMillan
`* Is it something I have said???Sam Plusnet
 `* Is it something I have said???Tony Smith
  `* Is it something I have said???krw
   +- Is it something I have said???Vicky
   `* Is it something I have said???Chris
    `* Is it something I have said???krw
     `* Is it something I have said???Vicky
      `- Is it something I have said???krw

1
Is it something I have said???

<t5gqin$t2g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8142&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8142

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Is it something I have said???
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 17:08:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:J9/LD1BuVgiL0uwE6APHbBM4BwI=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 11 May 2022 17:08 UTC

Quiet round ‘ere innit?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Is it something I have said???

<uetn7htqrphutkd7eppkm8uh3g8guufdes@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8143&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8143

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Is it something I have said???
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 18:44:31 +0100
 by: Vicky - Wed, 11 May 2022 17:44 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 17:08:39 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Quiet round ‘ere innit?

The last couple of days TA have been so thrilling we're all quiet and
digesting the events.

Re: Is it something I have said???

<t5gspr$e93$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8144&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8144

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 17:46:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:t3UIdUtJ0MsGLMNExAA+aiJuK6I=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 11 May 2022 17:46 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2022 17:08:39 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> Quiet round ‘ere innit?
>
> The last couple of days TA have been so thrilling we're all quiet and
> digesting the events.

Aerobically?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Is it something I have said???

<c%TeK.35$x1Wf.1@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8147&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8147

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 20:19:35 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:19 UTC

On 11-May-22 18:08, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Quiet round ‘ere innit?

If you _had_ said something - it wouldn't have been so quiet.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Is it something I have said???

<ab54b837-a6c7-4365-8698-8dbd0412c48en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8148&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8148

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 12:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: agsmith5...@gmail.com (Tony Smith)
 by: Tony Smith - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:24 UTC

On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 20:19:38 UTC+1, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> If you _had_ said something - it wouldn't have been so quiet.

That looks like an exercise on using the subjunctive in Spanish.

Re: Is it something I have said???

<t5h31i$rmo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8149&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8149

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 20:33:08 +0100
 by: krw - Wed, 11 May 2022 19:33 UTC

On 11.5.22 20:24, Tony Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 20:19:38 UTC+1, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> If you _had_ said something - it wouldn't have been so quiet.
>>
> That looks like an exercise on using the subjunctive in Spanish.

We are so stunned at the stupidity of the closure of Gay Grables that we
have been struck dumb.

As the good lady wife is in Israel I have been watching a lot of old
television. But when the height of excitement is quiche with an unknown
ingredient one has to wonder if one has lost one's marbles completely.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Is it something I have said???

<i88o7hph0tudsvltbaq6dlkfn6mdrficq2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8153&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8153

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 21:48:34 +0100
 by: Vicky - Wed, 11 May 2022 20:48 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 20:33:08 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 11.5.22 20:24, Tony Smith wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 20:19:38 UTC+1, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> If you _had_ said something - it wouldn't have been so quiet.
>>>
>> That looks like an exercise on using the subjunctive in Spanish.
>
>We are so stunned at the stupidity of the closure of Gay Grables that we
>have been struck dumb.
>
>As the good lady wife is in Israel I have been watching a lot of old
>television. But when the height of excitement is quiche with an unknown
>ingredient one has to wonder if one has lost one's marbles completely.

I hope that is not the pudding competition.

Re: Is it something I have said???

<t5igda$bro$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8161&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8161

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:27:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cDlxrCjW38EV343B3mR15rAdGVw=
 by: Chris - Thu, 12 May 2022 08:27 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 11.5.22 20:24, Tony Smith wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 20:19:38 UTC+1, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> If you _had_ said something - it wouldn't have been so quiet.
>>>
>> That looks like an exercise on using the subjunctive in Spanish.
>
> We are so stunned at the stupidity of the closure of Gay Grables that we
> have been struck dumb.
>
> As the good lady wife is in Israel I have been watching a lot of old
> television. But when the height of excitement is quiche with an unknown
> ingredient one has to wonder if one has lost one's marbles completely.

No dogs to walkies?

Sincerely Chris

Re: Is it something I have said???

<t5iivf$sbs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8162&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8162

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:11:10 +0100
 by: krw - Thu, 12 May 2022 09:11 UTC

On 12.5.22 09:27, Chris wrote:
> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>>>>
>>> That looks like an exercise on using the subjunctive in Spanish.
>>
>> We are so stunned at the stupidity of the closure of Gay Grables that we
>> have been struck dumb.
>>
>> As the good lady wife is in Israel I have been watching a lot of old
>> television. But when the height of excitement is quiche with an unknown
>> ingredient one has to wonder if one has lost one's marbles completely.
>>

> No dogs to walkies?
>
> Sincerely Chris

The good lady wife has surrendered her licence for dog boarding. We
have had hardly any clients for the last two years (for somewhat obvious
reasons) and my wife asked if in view of this they would (as they have
for other licence holders in the area) extend the licence for say six
months to enable some income to meet the much increased licence cost.

She did not receive a response either way - which also represents a
problem I have with the local council at the moment (1).

She then received a renewal reminder without any other commentary and
decided not to renew. (2)

(1) Last year when it was summer time our council was short of drivers
and took it upon themselves to cancel brown bin (garden rubbish)
collections and said that they would automatically extend our renewal
date. My renewal notice arrived at the same time as last year in
Feb/Mar. I have since responded twice reminding them of the arrangement
for extension and asking what the original expiry date was for the
garden rubbish and to when had it been extended. On the second reminder
I copied both of my local councillors. So far no-one has even had the
courtesy to acknowledge my concerns let alone actually respond.

(2) Prior to this farrago my good lady wife was faced (along with all
other dog boarders) with something like a 400% increase in fees payable
which seemed unreasonable so we spent a lot of time investigating the
legal basis for charging such fees and how the councillors were invited
to approve such a change. It is illegal for councils to cross-subsidise
one type of licence (eg for for dog boarding) with income from another
licence type (eg for a public house or for a house of multiple
occupation). However we discovered that they take the human resource
costs and distill it down to a single hourly recovery rate across all of
their staff. By using a single recovery rate there is inherent
cross-subsidisation and we pointed this out to them - which even their
accountants did not grasp. There was then a lengthy exchange with
councillors and staff over the need for such a huge increase and the
fact that the internal papers presented to councillors called all dog
boarders "failing businesses" - such was their perception of us as an
underclass. It also transpired that the councillors had (in my view
wrongly) not been told of the size of the percentage increases just that
costs had to be recovered (using a potentially illegal mechanism). At
the last moment the fees were increased by about 100% - a lot but in
real terms a closer reflection of the time and resources utilised by the
council staff.

One possible outcome of the above fight was that my wife felt we would
become "marked" people and to prove we were "failing" we would be
subject to frequent inspections - the strain of which we can do without.

The failure to respond to the extension speaks of the same mentality.

Apologies for the rant. I miss dog walking.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Is it something I have said???

<msmp7hdq6es639bll136ra5ka85nnpm1j8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8165&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8165

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:06:06 +0100
 by: Vicky - Thu, 12 May 2022 10:06 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 10:11:10 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>become "marked" people and to prove we were "failing" we would be
>subject to frequent inspections - the strain of which we can do without.
>
>The failure to respond to the extension speaks of the same mentality.
>
>Apologies for the rant. I miss dog walking.

I didn't know you did it as licensed dog boarders, and didn't know
people had to get a licence to board dogs.

I don't suppose you'd like to be a puppy walker for guide dogs or help
a dog charity by being a foster person?

Re: Is it something I have said???

<t5io1h$185a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8167&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8167

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 11:37:37 +0100
 by: krw - Thu, 12 May 2022 10:37 UTC

On 12.5.22 11:06, Vicky wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2022 10:11:10 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>

>> become "marked" people and to prove we were "failing" we would be
>> subject to frequent inspections - the strain of which we can do without.
>>
>> The failure to respond to the extension speaks of the same mentality.
>>
>> Apologies for the rant. I miss dog walking.
>

> I didn't know you did it as licensed dog boarders, and didn't know
> people had to get a licence to board dogs.
>
> I don't suppose you'd like to be a puppy walker for guide dogs or help
> a dog charity by being a foster person?

Not ideal. We are planning to revert to taking more holidays (the good
lady wife is in Israel) and I do not want something which requires a
regular commitment as over the next 6 months we are away at some point
during the month - so it is all too complex.

The dog boarding worked better in that if we took a booking the dog was
here and if we were away we did not take the booking.

And I can assure you that at one stage we were not aware of the need for
licences as we understood that applied to "kennels" but some years ago
it was extended to home boarding (and let me make clear that I endorse
the concept) but then under Michael Gove the regulations were
significantly beefed up - he is certainly not one of those who believes
in a bonfire of red tape; in consequence of the beefing up the council
staff time involvement and complexity increased and that led to the
initial imposition of the unfair fee increase. So the reason we are not
dog boarding any longer is Michael Gove.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk