From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Any downsides to a non-Apple iPhone battery?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:27:06 +0100
 by: jbrennand - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 20:27 UTC

My ageing iPhone7+ has diminishing battery life right now, so I'm
looking to get it swapped soon. I dont plan to keep the phone much
longer (swap in the Autumn?), so the option of a third party battery
swap at the local phone shop seems quite appealing when compared to the
double-the-cost swap by the Genius.

So, what are the potential downsides of doing that? What
"functionality" will actually be lost in doing this? I cant think of
anything I couldn't live with for a few months?

Thanks for any input.

JohnB

Re: Any downsides to a non-Apple iPhone battery?

<220420221711361272%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8168&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8168

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Any downsides to a non-Apple iPhone battery?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:11:36 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:11 UTC

In article <t3v32r$bd$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> My ageing iPhone7+ has diminishing battery life right now, so I'm
> looking to get it swapped soon. I dont plan to keep the phone much
> longer (swap in the Autumn?), so the option of a third party battery
> swap at the local phone shop seems quite appealing when compared to the
> double-the-cost swap by the Genius.
>
> So, what are the potential downsides of doing that? What
> "functionality" will actually be lost in doing this? I cant think of
> anything I couldn't live with for a few months?

for a few months, it probably doesn't matter, however, a genuine apple
battery will help with its resale value.

non-apple batteries do not report battery health because apple cannot
guarantee their accuracy. some battery makers have a habit of lying
about how good their batteries are and will often exaggerate things,
including how many hours it will last.

<https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_
US/iOS/ios13-iphone7-settings-battery-health-undetermined.jpg>

another option is a battery case, such as the one apple made, but there
are others.

<https://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/4982/as-images.apple.com/is/MN0
12>

Re: Any downsides to a non-Apple iPhone battery?

<t3v7bi$ute$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8169&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8169

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:40:00 +0100
 by: jbrennand - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 21:40 UTC

On 22/04/2022 22:11, nospam wrote:
> In article <t3v32r$bd$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
> <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> My ageing iPhone7+ has diminishing battery life right now, so I'm
>> looking to get it swapped soon. I dont plan to keep the phone much
>> longer (swap in the Autumn?), so the option of a third party battery
>> swap at the local phone shop seems quite appealing when compared to the
>> double-the-cost swap by the Genius.
>>
>> So, what are the potential downsides of doing that? What
>> "functionality" will actually be lost in doing this? I cant think of
>> anything I couldn't live with for a few months?
>
> for a few months, it probably doesn't matter, however, a genuine apple
> battery will help with its resale value.

I wouldn't be selling it - it would just go into the car glovebox as a
replacement "spare" for the iP5 currently on duty in there.

> non-apple batteries do not report battery health because apple cannot
> guarantee their accuracy. some battery makers have a habit of lying
> about how good their batteries are and will often exaggerate things,
> including how many hours it will last.

I can live with that... would be more concerned if it (e.g.) didnt show
charging status, % left , etc. - is that affected?

Thanks for the input

Re: Any downsides to a non-Apple iPhone battery?

<220420221801300924%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8170&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8170

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 18:01:30 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 22:01 UTC

In article <t3v7bi$ute$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand
<brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> >> My ageing iPhone7+ has diminishing battery life right now, so I'm
> >> looking to get it swapped soon. I dont plan to keep the phone much
> >> longer (swap in the Autumn?), so the option of a third party battery
> >> swap at the local phone shop seems quite appealing when compared to the
> >> double-the-cost swap by the Genius.
> >>
> >> So, what are the potential downsides of doing that? What
> >> "functionality" will actually be lost in doing this? I cant think of
> >> anything I couldn't live with for a few months?
> >
> > for a few months, it probably doesn't matter, however, a genuine apple
> > battery will help with its resale value.
>
> I wouldn't be selling it - it would just go into the car glovebox as a
> replacement "spare" for the iP5 currently on duty in there.

so more than a few months of use.

why not use a car adapter? then it doesn't matter if the battery
doesn't last long. it's always on power.

> > non-apple batteries do not report battery health because apple cannot
> > guarantee their accuracy. some battery makers have a habit of lying
> > about how good their batteries are and will often exaggerate things,
> > including how many hours it will last.
>

> I can live with that... would be more concerned if it (e.g.) didnt show
> charging status, % left , etc. - is that affected?

nope. just the battery health.

however, some batteries lie to make it look better than it actually is,
so the numbers might not be as accurate they appear.

not all third party batteries do that, but it does happen.

> Thanks for the input

anytime.