Who is D.B. Cooper, and where is he now?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Cheap button cells

SubjectAuthor
* Cheap button cellsMax Demian
+* Re: Cheap button cellsTheo
|`- Re: Cheap button cellsalan_m
+* Re: Cheap button cellsAlgernon Goss-Custard
|`* Re: Cheap button cellsMax Demian
| `- Re: Cheap button cellsJeff Layman
+* Re: Cheap button cellsAnthonyL
|`* Re: Cheap button cellsPamela
| +- Re: Cheap button cellsAnthonyL
| `- Re: Cheap button cellsMax Demian
+* Re: Cheap button cellsMartin Brown
|`- Re: Cheap button cellsSteveW
+- Re: Cheap button cellsAnimal
+* Re: Cheap button cellsBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Cheap button cellsJohn Walliker
| `- Re: Cheap button cellsRod Speed
`- Re: Cheap button cellsAndrew Gabriel

1
Cheap button cells

<tnhn36$3c744$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81730&group=uk.d-i-y#81730

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Cheap button cells
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:08:07 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:08 UTC

I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
£2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.

These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
through) Amazon for £6 or so.

Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
for £1.99.

I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.

So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.

Here endeth the lesson.

--
Max Demian

Re: Cheap button cells

<WUl*OOX5y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81743&group=uk.d-i-y#81743

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Cheap button cells
Date: 16 Dec 2022 12:46:24 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:46 UTC

Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
> £2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>
> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
> through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>
> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
> for £1.99.
>
> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
> failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.

I bought a strip of 10x Maxell brand CR2032s from ebay... I got Chinese
'daVinci' brand ones instead (seller 'three-eagle'; ebay refunded). They
appeared to have fingerprints on them in the sealed packaging. Put one of
them in an Ikea smart bulb controller and it failed before I managed to pair
the controller with the bulb. I suspect they're dead cells that have been
'recycled'.

Also, it turns out fake Maxell batteries are a thing. I think I'll be
buying from Amazon themselves (not Marketplace) in future...

Theo

Re: Cheap button cells

<ViysdUDYiGnjFwvw@invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81744&group=uk.d-i-y#81744

From: Ben...@nowhere.com (Algernon Goss-Custard)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:46:16 +0000
 by: Algernon Goss-Custar - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:46 UTC

Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> posted
>I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>£2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>
>These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>
>Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
>for £1.99.
>
>I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>
>So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>
>Here endeth the lesson.

I buy cards of button batteries from Poundsaver etc. Typically 30 of
mixed types for £2 or something. Variable lifetime (I assume they are
manufacturers' rejects or old stock) but useful for things like watches
and car remote locking keys (CR2032).

--
Algernon

Re: Cheap button cells

<k03agsFmmd8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81750&group=uk.d-i-y#81750

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:35:25 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:35 UTC

On 16/12/2022 12:46, Theo wrote:

> Also, it turns out fake Maxell batteries are a thing. I think I'll be
> buying from Amazon themselves (not Marketplace) in future...
Too many fake or poor quality Maxwell branded batteries out there.

I no longer buy Duracell - they no longer last like they used to do and
will always leak when nearly dead.

Re: Cheap button cells

<639c7959.230905406@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81753&group=uk.d-i-y#81753

From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:01:33 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:01 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:08:07 +0000, Max Demian
<max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>£2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>
>These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>
>Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
>for £1.99.
>
>I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>
>So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>
>Here endeth the lesson.

I might be able to get cheaper but for years I've bought from the
Small Battery Company, eg
https://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lr44.htm?lr44,various%20manufacturers,LR44

Price: �1.75 for a pair. �1.50 per pair if you buy two or more pairs.
P&P included.

They always seem to provide good brands and they arrive quite quickly
in the post (strikes permitting).

It is worth looking at the sr44 as an alternate - read the blurb on
the website.

Other (to be avoided brands at supermarkets etc) batteries often come
as the Industrial version which clearly are better.

YMMV.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Cheap button cells

<tnhvh4$3cu0c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81761&group=uk.d-i-y#81761

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:32:04 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:32 UTC

On 16/12/2022 12:46, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> posted

>> I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>> £2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>>
>> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>> through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>>
>> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware
>> store for £1.99.
>>
>> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>> failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>>
>> So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>>
>> Here endeth the lesson.
>
> I buy cards of button batteries from Poundsaver etc. Typically 30 of
> mixed types for £2 or something. Variable lifetime (I assume they are
> manufacturers' rejects or old stock) but useful for things like watches
> and car remote locking keys (CR2032).

Most of the button cells on those cards are sizes I never need. I buy
the cards of coin cells from so-called pound shops (which, nowadays sell
things for all sorts of prices), as they have CR2032s and CR2016s. They
also have CR2025s but I don't use them.

--
Max Demian

Re: Cheap button cells

<tni0en$13sk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81764&group=uk.d-i-y#81764

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:47:41 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:47 UTC

On 16/12/2022 12:08, Max Demian wrote:
> I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
> £2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>
> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
> through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>
> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
> for £1.99.
>
> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
> failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.

Duracell have been trading on their brand name for about a decade.

Their batteries are something I avoid like the plague - overpriced and
under performing frequently found to have leaked in kit and in date too.

Even Everyready and Panasonic make better batteries now.
(those two are my favourites)

> So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>
> Here endeth the lesson.

You can often get exotic rare button cells in ones or twos on market
stalls that will offer to fit them in a watch for £3 or £4 all in.
Battery on its own is cheaper and they have some rare ones!

If you do a lot of watch repair the ~24 for £1 in Poundshop don't last
as long but at that price do you really care. Still good for a year or
more provided that you use them fairly quickly. Shelf life is less good.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Cheap button cells

<tni8fq$3dk32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81785&group=uk.d-i-y#81785

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:04:58 +0000
 by: SteveW - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:04 UTC

On 16/12/2022 14:47, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 16/12/2022 12:08, Max Demian wrote:
>> I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>> £2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>>
>> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>> through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>>
>> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware
>> store for £1.99.
>>
>> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>> failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>
> Duracell have been trading on their brand name for about a decade.
>
> Their batteries are something I avoid like the plague - overpriced and
> under performing frequently found to have leaked in kit and in date too.

Yes. I have had a number of Duracell batteries leak. Didn't they used to
advertise them as leakproof?

> Even Everyready and Panasonic make better batteries now.
> (those two are my favourites)

Ever-ready have been good for me recently.

I've not tried Panasonic for a while, but do remember them as being very
good - however, that was decades ago. As a teenager, I bought a game for
my sister. It was very like Simon, but had 12 coloured buttons and came
from Tandy. It was quite heavily used over a few years and then left in
a cupboard. Over 12 years later, I found it ... and it still worked on
the original Panasonic batteries!

Re: Cheap button cells

<tni9es$3b6k0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81790&group=uk.d-i-y#81790

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:21:32 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 17:21 UTC

On 16/12/2022 14:32, Max Demian wrote:
> On 16/12/2022 12:46, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
>> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> posted
>
>>> I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>>> £2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>>>
>>> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>>> through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>>>
>>> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware
>>> store for £1.99.
>>>
>>> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>>> failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>>>
>>> So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>>>
>>> Here endeth the lesson.
>>
>> I buy cards of button batteries from Poundsaver etc. Typically 30 of
>> mixed types for £2 or something. Variable lifetime (I assume they are
>> manufacturers' rejects or old stock) but useful for things like watches
>> and car remote locking keys (CR2032).
>
> Most of the button cells on those cards are sizes I never need. I buy
> the cards of coin cells from so-called pound shops (which, nowadays sell
> things for all sorts of prices), as they have CR2032s and CR2016s. They
> also have CR2025s but I don't use them.

Pad out a CR2025 with a bit of aluminium foil and use as though it was a
CR2032. It won't last as long of course, but at least it will have been
used.

--

Jeff

Re: Cheap button cells

<f3acff66-935a-4f3c-a428-367d6f7c6cdan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81845&group=uk.d-i-y#81845

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:50:25 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:50 UTC

On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 12:08:10 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
> I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
> £2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>
> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
> through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>
> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
> for £1.99.
>
> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
> failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>
> So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>
> Here endeth the lesson.

Most battery brands differ little. Advertising means jack. There are definitely some below par ones, but most random ones are fine.

Re: Cheap button cells

<tnk44e$3kpam$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81882&group=uk.d-i-y#81882

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:02:48 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:02 UTC

The trouble is you just don't know, I've had variable results for the little
chunky ones and the flat inch wide ones.
I find it hard with, for example my Tile locators, to find out when its
gone down too far to work any more so the app can find it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for �2.99
>for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for �4.30.
>
> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
> through) Amazon for �6 or so.
>
> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
> for �1.99.
>
> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just failed
> after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>
> So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>
> Here endeth the lesson.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: Cheap button cells

<d1fdaf5b-c9ef-4e7b-adaf-263fde7930a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81985&group=uk.d-i-y#81985

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 15:24:46 -0800 (PST)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 23:24 UTC

On Saturday, 17 December 2022 at 10:02:59 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> The trouble is you just don't know, I've had variable results for the little
> chunky ones and the flat inch wide ones.
> I find it hard with, for example my Tile locators, to find out when its
> gone down too far to work any more so the app can find it.
> Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
> Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.!
> "Max Demian" <max_d...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for Ł2.99
> >for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for Ł4.30.
> >
> > These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
> > through) Amazon for Ł6 or so.
> >
> > Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
> > for Ł1.99.
> >
> > I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just failed
> > after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
> >
> > So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
> >
> > Here endeth the lesson.

Many years ago I was working with somebody who had designed rechargeable
battery production lines for many of the manufacturers around the world. His
advice, based on a lot of inside knowledge, was that if I wanted reliability I could
not do better than Panasonic/Matsushita. Sanyo were also very good - they were
subsequently bought by Matsushita.
So when I needed a pack of CR2032s a few days ago I chose Panasonic.

I have had a digital multimeter and a sound level calibrator badly damaged by
Duracell AA cells that leaked before the batteries had discharged, so I don't
consider Duracell to be a benchmark for good quality.

John

Re: Cheap button cells

<op.1xcl88mibyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81990&group=uk.d-i-y#81990

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:25:46 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 01:25 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 10:24:46 +1100, John Walliker <jrwalliker@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Saturday, 17 December 2022 at 10:02:59 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> The trouble is you just don't know, I've had variable results for the
>> little
>> chunky ones and the flat inch wide ones.
>> I find it hard with, for example my Tile locators, to find out when its
>> gone down too far to work any more so the app can find it.
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>>
>> --:
>> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
>> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
>> bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
>> Blind user, so no pictures please
>> Note this Signature is meaningless.!
>> "Max Demian" <max_d...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> >I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>> Ł2.99
>> >for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for Ł4.30.
>> >
>> > These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>> > through) Amazon for Ł6 or so.
>> >
>> > Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware
>> store
>> > for Ł1.99.
>> >
>> > I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>> failed
>> > after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>> >
>> > So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>> >
>> > Here endeth the lesson.
>
> Many years ago I was working with somebody who had designed rechargeable
> battery production lines for many of the manufacturers around the
> world. His
> advice, based on a lot of inside knowledge, was that if I wanted
> reliability I could
> not do better than Panasonic/Matsushita. Sanyo were also very good -
> they were
> subsequently bought by Matsushita.
> So when I needed a pack of CR2032s a few days ago I chose Panasonic.

Me too and in my case 18650 Li ons as well.

> I have had a digital multimeter and a sound level calibrator badly
> damaged by
> Duracell AA cells that leaked before the batteries had discharged, so I
> don't
> consider Duracell to be a benchmark for good quality.

Re: Cheap button cells

<tnsad3$mbg2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82268&group=uk.d-i-y#82268

From: and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 12:38:59 +0000
 by: Andrew Gabriel - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 12:38 UTC

On 16/12/2022 12:08, Max Demian wrote:
> I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
> £2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>
> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
> through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>
> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware store
> for £1.99.
>
> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
> failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>
> So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>
> Here endeth the lesson.

There was a program on BBC Radio 4 in last few days following an
experiment at a school, where the children compared different makes of
AA alkaline cells. IIRC, they used Amazon Basics (cheapest), Duracell,
and Energizer Lithium (most expensive by a long way).

The Amazon basics was the most cost effective by a long way, even though
they lasted the shortest time, but they had the longest period dying as
they gradually lost umph quite a while before they completely died.
Duracell lasted a bit longer, but didn't show any signs of dying until
much nearer end of life. Energizer Lithium lasted longest. I can't
remember the timings, but something like 4, 5, and 6 hours respectively
(running a hand fan continuously).

Not completely scientific, but interesting nevertheless.

Andrew

Re: Cheap button cells

<XnsAF7579CDA172F37B93@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82465&group=uk.d-i-y#82465

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:58:25 GMT
 by: Pamela - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:58 UTC

On 14:01 16 Dec 2022, AnthonyL said:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:08:07 +0000, Max Demian
> <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>>I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>>£2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>>
>>These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>>through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>>
>>Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware
>>store for £1.99.
>>
>>I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>>failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>>
>>So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>>
>>Here endeth the lesson.
>>

> I might be able to get cheaper but for years I've bought from the
> Small Battery Company, eg
> https://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lr44.htm?lr44,various%
> 20manufacturers,LR44
>
> Price: �1.75 for a pair. �1.50 per pair if you buy two or more pairs.
> P&P included.
>
> They always seem to provide good brands and they arrive quite quickly
> in the post (strikes permitting).
>
> It is worth looking at the sr44 as an alternate - read the blurb on
> the website.
>
> Other (to be avoided brands at supermarkets etc) batteries often come
> as the Industrial version which clearly are better.
>
> YMMV.

Are their button cells noticeably better than the cheap packs of 50
cells?

Re: Cheap button cells

<63a44a06.743087765@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82470&group=uk.d-i-y#82470

From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:14:58 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:14 UTC

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:58:25 GMT, Pamela
<pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 14:01 16 Dec 2022, AnthonyL said:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:08:07 +0000, Max Demian
>> <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>>>£2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for £4.30.
>>>
>>>These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>>>through) Amazon for £6 or so.
>>>
>>>Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware
>>>store for £1.99.
>>>
>>>I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>>>failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>>>
>>>So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>>>
>>>Here endeth the lesson.
>>>

>> I might be able to get cheaper but for years I've bought from the
>> Small Battery Company, eg
>> https://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lr44.htm?lr44,various%
>> 20manufacturers,LR44
>>
>> Price: �1.75 for a pair. �1.50 per pair if you buy two or more pairs.
>> P&P included.
>>
>> They always seem to provide good brands and they arrive quite quickly
>> in the post (strikes permitting).
>>
>> It is worth looking at the sr44 as an alternate - read the blurb on
>> the website.
>>
>> Other (to be avoided brands at supermarkets etc) batteries often come
>> as the Industrial version which clearly are better.
>>
>> YMMV.
>
>Are their button cells noticeably better than the cheap packs of 50
>cells?

I have never bought a pack of 50 cells. If I did most of them would
be end of life flat by the time I got round to using them in 10yrs.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Cheap button cells

<to27ij$1ee0f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82494&group=uk.d-i-y#82494

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 18:27:32 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 18:27 UTC

On 22/12/2022 11:58, Pamela wrote:
> On 14:01 16 Dec 2022, AnthonyL said:
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:08:07 +0000, Max Demian
>> <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes need LR44 button cells. You can buy Boots own brand for
>>> бё2.99 for one, or two Duracell (from Boots) for бё4.30.
>>>
>>> These are obviously ridiculous prices, so I would order 10 from (or
>>> through) Amazon for бё6 or so.
>>>
>>> Recently I bought a card of 10 Suncom brand from a local hardware
>>> store for бё1.99.
>>>
>>> I fitted a couple into two analogue clocks; the first one has just
>>> failed after three months, which is the time the Duracell ones last.
>>>
>>> So, *sometimes* cheap, unknown brands are good value.
>>>
>>> Here endeth the lesson.

>> I might be able to get cheaper but for years I've bought from the
>> Small Battery Company, eg
>> https://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lr44.htm?lr44,various%
>> 20manufacturers,LR44
>>
>> Price: ё1.75 for a pair. ё1.50 per pair if you buy two or more pairs.
>> P&P included.
>>
>> They always seem to provide good brands and they arrive quite quickly
>> in the post (strikes permitting).
>>
>> It is worth looking at the sr44 as an alternate - read the blurb on
>> the website.
>>
>> Other (to be avoided brands at supermarkets etc) batteries often come
>> as the Industrial version which clearly are better.
>>
>> YMMV.
>
> Are their button cells noticeably better than the cheap packs of 50
> cells?

No, but most of those will be sizes you don't want.

--
Max Demian

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Cheap button cells