Art is anything you can get away with. -- Marshall McLuhan.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Which screws?

SubjectAuthor
* Which screws?Dan Green
+* Re: Which screws?Colin Bignell
|`* Re: Which screws?Dan Green
| `* Re: Which screws?Colin Bignell
|  `* Re: Which screws?Brian Gaff
|   `- Re: Which screws?Dave W
+- Re: Which screws?Animal
+* Re: Which screws?Chris Green
|`* Re: Which screws?Theo
| +* Re: Which screws?Chris Green
| |`- Re: Which screws?Theo
| `* Re: Which screws?Andy Burns
|  `* Re: Which screws?Theo
|   +- Re: Which screws?Chris Green
|   `- Re: Which screws?Andy Burns
+- Re: Which screws?Tim Lamb
+* Re: Which screws?jim.gm4dhj
|`- Re: Which screws?Andrew
`- Re: Which screws?rick

1
Which screws?

<jggpphtkh6qpftuandh2qhkg9a8vpko2ae@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81817&group=uk.d-i-y#81817

From: dhg99...@hotmail.se (Dan Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Which screws?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:11:52 +0000
 by: Dan Green - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:11 UTC

Hi all,

I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
there some decent alternative?
Cheers,

Dan

Re: Which screws?

<wwednekMmOo0VgH-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81827&group=uk.d-i-y#81827

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:48:57 +0000
Subject: Re: Which screws?
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:48 UTC

On 16/12/2022 19:11, Dan Green wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
> for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
> seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
> safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
> screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
> there some decent alternative?
> Cheers,
>
> Dan

I used bronze ring barbed nails on a double gate, the best part of 40
years ago. The gates are still standing strong. Easier than screws to
put in too.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Which screws?

<o7mpphhsthohkjvsrbts2peuq6mkk7t2me@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81841&group=uk.d-i-y#81841

From: dhg99...@hotmail.se (Dan Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:46:36 +0000
 by: Dan Green - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:46 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:48:57 +0000, Colin Bignell
<cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>On 16/12/2022 19:11, Dan Green wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
>> for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
>> seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
>> safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
>> screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
>> there some decent alternative?
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dan
>
>I used bronze ring barbed nails on a double gate, the best part of 40
>years ago. The gates are still standing strong. Easier than screws to
>put in too.

Interesting choice, but isn't brass even more pricey than s/steel?

Re: Which screws?

<6082affd-e38e-4d7a-81e9-8a728ace755cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81842&group=uk.d-i-y#81842

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 12:46:44 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:46 UTC

On Friday, 16 December 2022 at 19:11:58 UTC, Dan Green wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
> for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
> seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
> safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
> screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
> there some decent alternative?
> Cheers,
>
> Dan
BZP, zinc passivated are only thin electroplated zinc. Other options are outdoor screws with various coatings, brass, ss, or oil yer screws well.

Re: Which screws?

<qq1v6j-7l3h1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81844&group=uk.d-i-y#81844

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:42:34 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 20:42 UTC

Dan Green <dhg99908@hotmail.se> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
> for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
> seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
> safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
> screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
> there some decent alternative?

Stainless are not that pricey if you shop around.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Which screws?

<kdicnY23uKaSbAH-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81856&group=uk.d-i-y#81856

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:28:30 +0000
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 22:28 UTC

On 16/12/2022 20:46, Dan Green wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:48:57 +0000, Colin Bignell
> <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 16/12/2022 19:11, Dan Green wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
>>> for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
>>> seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
>>> safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
>>> screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
>>> there some decent alternative?
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>> I used bronze ring barbed nails on a double gate, the best part of 40
>> years ago. The gates are still standing strong. Easier than screws to
>> put in too.
>
> Interesting choice, but isn't brass even more pricey than s/steel?

Silicon bronze, rather than brass, intended for marine use. Unlike brass
nails, they won't bend when you hit them. I have no idea what s/s screws
would cost, but this is an example of the nails:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293052648717

I suppose it all depends upon how long you want the fence to last.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Which screws?

<tnk57r$3kse2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81886&group=uk.d-i-y#81886

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:21:41 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:21 UTC

My new fence is basically ready made panels that slot into the top. They are
very heavy, and pretty well fixed at the edges with multiple tongues. A lot
of the fixing together these days seems to be by some kind of large staple
in a gun, or nails also in a gun, that look kind of dark coloured. The few
places where there is a need for screws, these seem to have been treated
with something, which looks suspiciously like a kind of galvanisation. No
sign of rust after a couple of years. So maybe you can still get them, but
they are probably not cheap.
The worst part of things used outside made of wood is the rather naff state
of wood these days, IE gate posts that warp and twist inside a year, even
though there is treatment on it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Colin Bignell" <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote in message
> On 16/12/2022 20:46, Dan Green wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:48:57 +0000, Colin Bignell
>> <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> wrote:

>>> I used bronze ring barbed nails on a double gate, the best part of 40
>>> years ago. The gates are still standing strong. Easier than screws to
>>> put in too.
>>
>> Interesting choice, but isn't brass even more pricey than s/steel?
>
> Silicon bronze, rather than brass, intended for marine use. Unlike brass
> nails, they won't bend when you hit them. I have no idea what s/s screws
> would cost, but this is an example of the nails:
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293052648717
>
> I suppose it all depends upon how long you want the fence to last.
>

> --
> Colin Bignell

Re: Which screws?

<YUl*bJ25y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81891&group=uk.d-i-y#81891

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Dec 2022 11:07:50 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 11:07 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Dan Green <dhg99908@hotmail.se> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
> > for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
> > seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
> > safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
> > screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
> > there some decent alternative?
>
> Stainless are not that pricey if you shop around.

Do you have a recommended supplier? A few months ago I was looking for
roofing screws and they were coming in at roughly £60 a box. This kind of
thing (allegedly a 'low price'):
https://www.screwfix.com/p/spax-tx-flange-stainless-steel-timber-screw-6-x-140mm-100-pack/2278f

Is there a better place to buy this kind of thing (assuming you need the
length but aren't so fussy by the exact brand/head/etc)?

(I accept the absolute price delta is not going to be as much on 1" screws
as it is on 6" screws)

Theo

Re: Which screws?

<Gov6agAikanjFwtg@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81895&group=uk.d-i-y#81895

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 11:33:54 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 11:33 UTC

In message <jggpphtkh6qpftuandh2qhkg9a8vpko2ae@4ax.com>, Dan Green
<dhg99908@hotmail.se> writes
>Hi all,
>
>I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
>for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
>seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
>safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
>screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
>there some decent alternative?
>Cheers,

I have used https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/

Where their delivery charge is lost in the quantity ordered and wider
choice offered. No connection:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Which screws?

<q6q07j-0rok1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81904&group=uk.d-i-y#81904

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 12:44:42 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 12:44 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > Dan Green <dhg99908@hotmail.se> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
> > > for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
> > > seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
> > > safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
> > > screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
> > > there some decent alternative?
> >
> > Stainless are not that pricey if you shop around.
>
> Do you have a recommended supplier? A few months ago I was looking for
> roofing screws and they were coming in at roughly £60 a box. This kind of
> thing (allegedly a 'low price'):
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/spax-tx-flange-stainless-steel-timber-screw-6-x-140mm-100-pack/2278f
>
> Is there a better place to buy this kind of thing (assuming you need the
> length but aren't so fussy by the exact brand/head/etc)?
>
> (I accept the absolute price delta is not going to be as much on 1" screws
> as it is on 6" screws)

Do you really need 6 x 140 screws? I have a box of those I bought
many years ago and I've only used very few of them.

Whatever, less than £1 per screw at that sort of size isn't too bad,
though Spax branded ones do tend to be at the pricier end of things.
Take a look round https://timberfixings.com/online-shop, that's where
I bought my last batch of stainless screws.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Which screws?

<YUl*cv35y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81931&group=uk.d-i-y#81931

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Dec 2022 14:41:14 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 14:41 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Do you really need 6 x 140 screws? I have a box of those I bought
> many years ago and I've only used very few of them.

For roofing, you may want to fix through insulation material, the deck and
into joists, which means a long screw. I accept that's not a use case for a
lot of people, but if you have 100mm insulation it's not an implausible
length.

(although the thermally broken insulation fixings have their uses too)

> Whatever, less than £1 per screw at that sort of size isn't too bad,
> though Spax branded ones do tend to be at the pricier end of things.
> Take a look round https://timberfixings.com/online-shop, that's where
> I bought my last batch of stainless screws.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Theo

Re: Which screws?

<k06liaF812nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81972&group=uk.d-i-y#81972

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 20:02:14 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 20:02 UTC

Theo wrote:

> A few months ago I was looking for
> roofing screws and they were coming in at roughly £60 a box. This kind of
> thing (allegedly a 'low price'):
> https://www.screwfix.com/p/spax-tx-flange-stainless-steel-timber-screw-6-x-140mm-100-pack/2278f
>
> Is there a better place to buy this kind of thing

£47 instead of £74 from here, p&p might be the killer vs screwfix counter

<https://timberfixings.com/6-0mm-x-140mm-Heco-Topix-Flange-Head-TX25-Torx-Drive-Screws-Box-of-100-61151-p50540451>

Re: Which screws?

<YUl*2545y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81979&group=uk.d-i-y#81979

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Dec 2022 21:51:22 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:51 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Theo wrote:
>
> > A few months ago I was looking for
> > roofing screws and they were coming in at roughly £60 a box. This kind of
> > thing (allegedly a 'low price'):
> > https://www.screwfix.com/p/spax-tx-flange-stainless-steel-timber-screw-6-x-140mm-100-pack/2278f
> >
> > Is there a better place to buy this kind of thing
>
> £47 instead of £74 from here, p&p might be the killer vs screwfix counter
>
> <https://timberfixings.com/6-0mm-x-140mm-Heco-Topix-Flange-Head-TX25-Torx-Drive-Screws-Box-of-100-61151-p50540451>

I'm not sure those are stainless? Searching for Helco Schrauben 61151 and
going via Google Translate I find:

https://www-dinotech-org.translate.goog/befestigungstechnik/schrauben/holzbauschrauben/heco-topix-plus-profi-holzbauschraube-6-0-x-140-mm-100-stueck-61151-teilgewinde-holzschraube-tellerkopf-t-drive-verzinkt-blau-a3k_25275_26861?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

"HECO TOPIX plus professional wood screw 6.0 x 140 mm, 100 pieces (61151)
partial thread wood screw, plate head, T-Drive, zinc plated blue, A3K"

" Galvanizing with a thickness of 8 μm is generally free of chromium VI. "

Which is not to say I'm really complaining about the price of the stainless
versions as such (although screws were a surprising chunk of my roofing
BOM), just curious if there are better places than SF. I've added
Timberfixings to my list of suppliers next time I'm in the market for
particular screws.

Theo

Re: Which screws?

<l4237j-ju7p1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81994&group=uk.d-i-y#81994

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:12:21 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:12 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Which is not to say I'm really complaining about the price of the stainless
> versions as such (although screws were a surprising chunk of my roofing
> BOM), just curious if there are better places than SF. I've added
> Timberfixings to my list of suppliers next time I'm in the market for
> particular screws.

I posted about Timberfix. For quite a long time I have been searching
for a replacement for Screwfix's (no longer available) Turbo Ultra
screws. The rifled shank ones from Timberfix are some of the best so
far.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Which screws?

<tnmnga$3ulp2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81995&group=uk.d-i-y#81995

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:45:47 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:45 UTC

On 16/12/2022 19:11, Dan Green wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
> for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
> seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
> safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
> screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
> there some decent alternative?
> Cheers,
>
> Dan
decking screws....much cheapness

Re: Which screws?

<tnmveb$85s$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82020&group=uk.d-i-y#82020

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:01:12 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:01 UTC

On 18/12/2022 09:45, jim.gm4dhj wrote:
> On 16/12/2022 19:11, Dan Green wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
>> for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
>> seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
>> safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
>> screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
>> there some decent alternative?
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dan
> decking screws....much cheapness

They do go rusty after a while though.

Re: Which screws?

<k08sasFjj7mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82049&group=uk.d-i-y#82049

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:10:02 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:10 UTC

Theo wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> £47 instead of £74 from here, p&p might be the killer vs screwfix counter
>>
>> <https://timberfixings.com/6-0mm-x-140mm-Heco-Topix-Flange-Head-TX25-Torx-Drive-Screws-Box-of-100-61151-p50540451>
>
> I'm not sure those are stainless?

You're probably right; I searched for stainless and they came in at £45+VAT,
then I got distracted by the "see also" ones at £39+VAT

Re: Which screws?

<21uuph1dhrk8guu6ktuf9riuoka6nspek9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82079&group=uk.d-i-y#82079

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:32:45 +0000
 by: Dave W - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:32 UTC

On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:21:41 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>My new fence is basically ready made panels that slot into the top. They are
>very heavy, and pretty well fixed at the edges with multiple tongues. A lot
>of the fixing together these days seems to be by some kind of large staple
>in a gun, or nails also in a gun, that look kind of dark coloured. The few
>places where there is a need for screws, these seem to have been treated
>with something, which looks suspiciously like a kind of galvanisation. No
>sign of rust after a couple of years. So maybe you can still get them, but
>they are probably not cheap.
> The worst part of things used outside made of wood is the rather naff state
>of wood these days, IE gate posts that warp and twist inside a year, even
>though there is treatment on it.
> Brian
Brian, how can you say "look kind of dark" and "looks suspiciously
like a kind of galvanisation" if you can't see? Or are they the
opinions of others?
--
Dave W

Re: Which screws?

<toh250$1k17$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82871&group=uk.d-i-y#82871

From: rick_hug...@_remove_btconnect.com (rick)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:26:55 +0000
 by: rick - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:26 UTC

On 16/12/2022 19:11, Dan Green wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews
> for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it
> seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to do with that
> safety elf I would guess. Anyway, can anyone suggest what kind of
> screws to go for that won't rust away? Stainless are very pricey. Is
> there some decent alternative?
> Cheers,
>
> Dan

TURBO OUTDOOR PZ DOUBLE-COUNTERSUNK TRADE PACK 1000 PCS (3917X)

from Screwfix

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Which screws?