We are what we are.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / What glue for brass to wood?

SubjectAuthor
* What glue for brass to wood?Andrew
+* Re: What glue for brass to wood?Andrew
|+* Re: What glue for brass to wood?Brian Gaff
||`- Re: What glue for brass to wood?Andrew
|`- Re: What glue for brass to wood?Andrew
`* Re: What glue for brass to wood?nothanks
 `* Re: What glue for brass to wood?The Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: What glue for brass to wood?Martin Brown

1
What glue for brass to wood?

<tnml4v$3uf36$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81993&group=uk.d-i-y#81993

From: andrew_d...@hotmail.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: What glue for brass to wood?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:05:35 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 09:05 UTC

I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended
timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on top
as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm wide.

What would be the best glue to use to glue this down? Contact adhesive?
Polyurethane - to give a bit of filling capability so I can get it
exactly level or araldite?

Andrew

Re: What glue for brass to wood?

<tnmuu1$85s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82016&group=uk.d-i-y#82016

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: What glue for brass to wood?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:52:30 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:52 UTC

On 18/12/2022 09:05, Andrew wrote:
> I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended
> timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on top
> as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm wide.
>
> What would be the best glue to use to glue this down? Contact adhesive?
> Polyurethane - to give a bit of filling capability so I can get it
> exactly level or araldite?
>
> Andrew

Neither. You need to screw it down with countersunk
brass screws. Is this brass plate thick enough to
allow countersinking ?.

Re: What glue for brass to wood?

<tnn1b5$3ve39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82028&group=uk.d-i-y#82028

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:33:41 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:33 UTC

Yes screw it to the wood part and put something likemastic under the bit
over the concrete to cushion it a bit.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Andrew" <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote in message
> On 18/12/2022 09:05, Andrew wrote:
>> I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended
>> timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on top
>> as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm wide.
>>
>> What would be the best glue to use to glue this down? Contact adhesive?
>> Polyurethane - to give a bit of filling capability so I can get it
>> exactly level or araldite?
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Neither. You need to screw it down with countersunk
> brass screws. Is this brass plate thick enough to
> allow countersinking ?.

Re: What glue for brass to wood?

<k08frkFhoulU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82029&group=uk.d-i-y#82029

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:37:09 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:37 UTC

On 18/12/2022 09:05, Andrew wrote:
> I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended
> timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on top
> as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm wide.
>
> What would be the best glue to use to glue this down? Contact adhesive?
> Polyurethane - to give a bit of filling capability so I can get it
> exactly level or araldite?
>
> Andrew
That's a big bit of brass! How are you going to make the edges safe? You
might be able to bed it in epoxy, or use packers, but you'll need
screws; I wouldn't try it. Personally I would use a piece of oak, either
screwed down with brass csk screws or (more likely) in pockets and plugged.

Re: What glue for brass to wood?

<tnn3lm$3vksk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82031&group=uk.d-i-y#82031

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 13:13:26 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 13:13 UTC

On 18/12/2022 12:37, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 18/12/2022 09:05, Andrew wrote:
>> I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended
>> timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on
>> top as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm wide.
>>
>> What would be the best glue to use to glue this down? Contact
>> adhesive? Polyurethane - to give a bit of filling capability so I can
>> get it exactly level or araldite?
>>
>> Andrew
> That's a big bit of brass! How are you going to make the edges safe? You
> might be able to bed it in epoxy, or use packers, but you'll need
> screws; I wouldn't try it. Personally I would use a piece of oak, either
> screwed down with brass csk screws or (more likely) in pockets and plugged.

Car body filler, or polyurethane for slight flexibility...

--
“People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Re: What glue for brass to wood?

<tnn46v$gpr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82033&group=uk.d-i-y#82033

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 13:22:39 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 13:22 UTC

> On 18/12/2022 12:37, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> On 18/12/2022 09:05, Andrew wrote:
>>> I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended
>>> timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on
>>> top as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm wide.

And how thick? How are you chamfering the sharp edges?

Most door threshold fittings are 60mm or at most 75mm wide.

Shiny metal can be slippy when wet.

>>> What would be the best glue to use to glue this down? Contact
>>> adhesive? Polyurethane - to give a bit of filling capability so I can
>>> get it exactly level or araldite?
>>>
>>> Andrew
>> That's a big bit of brass! How are you going to make the edges safe?
>> You might be able to bed it in epoxy, or use packers, but you'll need
>> screws; I wouldn't try it. Personally I would use a piece of oak,
>> either screwed down with brass csk screws or (more likely) in pockets
>> and plugged.
>
> Car body filler, or polyurethane for slight flexibility...

PU space filling high tack adhesive ought to be OK for holding it there
unless there are particular difficulties with heavy footfall. Brass
screws tend to do a better job of holding door thresholds down.

The sheer forces when people stand on them and then step off can be a
problem otherwise. One that is only partially fastened is dangerous.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: What glue for brass to wood?

<tnnvhq$1tdr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82082&group=uk.d-i-y#82082

From: andrew_d...@hotmail.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 21:09:13 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 21:09 UTC

On 18/12/2022 11:52, Andrew wrote:
> On 18/12/2022 09:05, Andrew wrote:
>> I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended
>> timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on
>> top as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm wide.
>>
>> What would be the best glue to use to glue this down? Contact
>> adhesive? Polyurethane - to give a bit of filling capability so I can
>> get it exactly level or araldite?
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Neither. You need to screw it down with countersunk
> brass screws. Is this brass plate thick enough to
> allow countersinking ?.

2mm thick. So probably not. No sharp edges - the top of the brass will
be flush with the floor. The wooden strip is 2mm or so below floor level.

Re: What glue for brass to wood?

<tnnvkm$1tdr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82083&group=uk.d-i-y#82083

From: andrew_d...@hotmail.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 21:10:46 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 21:10 UTC

On 18/12/2022 12:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Yes screw it to the wood part and put something likemastic under the bit
> over the concrete to cushion it a bit.
> Brian

Should have made clear that the brass is not over the floors but will be
flush with them. The wood is slightly thinner than the adjacent floorboards.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / What glue for brass to wood?