Be braver -- you can't cross a chasm in two small jumps.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT Hill start assist and the new van

SubjectAuthor
* OT Hill start assist and the new vanARW
+- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAndy Burns
+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanBrian
|+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanJim gm4dhj ...
||+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAndrew
|||`- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanjim.gm4dhj
||`- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanjim.gm4dhj
|+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanNY
||+- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanThe Natural Philosopher
||+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAndy Burns
|||+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAndrew
|||`- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanBev
||`* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanJeff Layman
|| `* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanalan_m
||  `- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanJeff Layman
|`* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanR D S
| +* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAndy Burns
| |`- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanR D S
| `* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanThe Natural Philosopher
|  +- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAndrew
|  `* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanR D S
|   +- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanTim Lamb
|   `- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanalan_m
|+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanfred
||+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAndy Burns
|||`* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanTim Lamb
||| `- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanThe Natural Philosopher
||`* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanJethro_uk
|| +- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanThe Natural Philosopher
|| +* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanmm0fmf
|| |`- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanjim.gm4dhj
|| `* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAlgernon Goss-Custard
||  +- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanThe Natural Philosopher
||  `* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanJethro_uk
||   `- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAlgernon Goss-Custard
|`- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanRJH
+- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanJim gm4dhj ...
+* Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanBrian Gaff
|`- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanRod Speed
+- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanFredxx
+- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanAndrew
`- Re: OT Hill start assist and the new vanJim gm4dhj ...

Pages:12
OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnns80$1jv4$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82076&group=uk.d-i-y#82076

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT Hill start assist and the new van
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:14:53 +0000
 by: ARW - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:14 UTC

WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..

And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
when I am stationary. It does not.

Plus an Adblue warning that I have only 1500 miles left before the
vehicle cannot be driven has been on for the last 1000 miles.

Peugeot my arse.

--
Adam

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<k09b61Flv7rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82078&group=uk.d-i-y#82078

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:23:26 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:23 UTC

ARW wrote:

> a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes a snake
> eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights

On mine that means you can take yout foot off the brake, and it willhold it with
pressure from the ABS unit.

Does that only cut in when on a hill, or every time you stop?

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnntvl$1qoh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82080&group=uk.d-i-y#82080

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:42:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gEpOq05KuR9cZE6XCd8VqGTQEqw=
 by: Brian - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:42 UTC

ARW <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>
> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
> when I am stationary. It does not.

I’m not a fan of these stop / start gizmos but I have noticed they are a
but more complex / picky than just turning off every time you stop.

The one on the Smart car seemed to decide if the battery was fully charged
first and, I suspect, if it thought there may be an issue restarting ( how
heaven knows).

The one on the Aygo is similar but will restart after a couple of minutes -
even if you do nothing. Plus, being a manual, you need to be in neutral and
have the handbrake on. Oddly, while it will start itself like this, you can
only start the car yourself normally with the clutch depressed.

The hybrid is even smarter but, as it switches seamlessly from electric to
ICE etc it is had to know what is/ isn’t the start stop system.

I used to turn the system off on the Smart Car but on the Aygo it works
well enough not to be irritating.

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<k09f04Fmd17U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82084&group=uk.d-i-y#82084

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 21:28:36 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 21:28 UTC

On 18/12/2022 20:14, ARW wrote:
> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..

On my Ford Focus the hill start assist is a complete PITA especially if
your are trying to parallel park on a fairly steep hill. On my car it's
possible to permanently turn it off in the menu system for the trip
computer/speedo/etc.

> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
> when I am stationary. It does not.

On my car this can be disabled on a trip by trip basis but it only works
when the car is up to temperature and the battery is fully charged.
With lots of short trips stop/start doesn't automatically cut in.
Afterwards it will take a trip of possibly 10 miles at a reasonable
speed before it start cutting in when you stop at traffic lights AND in
are in neutral AND with your foot off the clutch pedal.

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<356ff9fb-ae4d-42d0-8f6a-6d7bb94828e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82110&group=uk.d-i-y#82110

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 23:44:37 -0800 (PST)
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 07:44 UTC

On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 9:28:41 PM UTC, alan_m wrote:
> On 18/12/2022 20:14, ARW wrote:
> > WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
> > puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
> >
> On my Ford Focus the hill start assist is a complete PITA especially if
> your are trying to parallel park on a fairly steep hill. On my car it's
> possible to permanently turn it off in the menu system for the trip
> computer/speedo/etc.
> > And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
> > a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
> > faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
> > when I am stationary. It does not.
> On my car this can be disabled on a trip by trip basis but it only works
> when the car is up to temperature and the battery is fully charged.
> With lots of short trips stop/start doesn't automatically cut in.
> Afterwards it will take a trip of possibly 10 miles at a reasonable
> speed before it start cutting in when you stop at traffic lights AND in
> are in neutral AND with your foot off the clutch pedal.
>

> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Yes. My experience with stop/start is that it works best on an automatic. I prefer auto hand brake and have become so accustomed to it forget to apply the handbrake on cars ithout it.

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnp731$7qcj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82112&group=uk.d-i-y#82112

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim gm4dhj ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 08:24:00 +0000
 by: Jim gm4dhj ... - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 08:24 UTC

On 18/12/2022 20:14, ARW wrote:
> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>
> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
> when I am stationary. It does not.
>
> Plus an Adblue warning that I have only 1500 miles left before the
> vehicle cannot be driven has been on for the last 1000 miles.
>
> Peugeot my arse.

just as well we have only seven years left to buy that crap

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnp77a$7qcj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82113&group=uk.d-i-y#82113

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim gm4dhj ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 08:26:17 +0000
 by: Jim gm4dhj ... - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 08:26 UTC

On 18/12/2022 20:42, Brian wrote:
> ARW <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
>> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>>
>> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
>> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
>> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
>> when I am stationary. It does not.
>>

> I’m not a fan of these stop / start gizmos but I have noticed they are a
> but more complex / picky than just turning off every time you stop.
>
> The one on the Smart car seemed to decide if the battery was fully charged
> first and, I suspect, if it thought there may be an issue restarting ( how
> heaven knows).
>
> The one on the Aygo is similar but will restart after a couple of minutes -
> even if you do nothing. Plus, being a manual, you need to be in neutral and
> have the handbrake on. Oddly, while it will start itself like this, you can
> only start the car yourself normally with the clutch depressed.
>
> The hybrid is even smarter but, as it switches seamlessly from electric to
> ICE etc it is had to know what is/ isn’t the start stop system.
>
> I used to turn the system off on the Smart Car but on the Aygo it works
> well enough not to be irritating.

old bangers are better mr reay

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpckh$89b7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82120&group=uk.d-i-y#82120

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 09:58:39 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 09:58 UTC

Yes well, its electronics that unfortunately infest almost everything these
days. They are only as good as the inputs they receive, and do seem to be
proliferating in so many things. In the old days a toaster was basically a
mechanical timer driven device with a knob to change the duration. Now while
actually looking for a heater in Curries, I notice toasters with touch
screens able to work out from the temp of the bread, whether to defrost it
or not first, and the like.
Those I am sure are not really needed, you can surely know if you have had
a loaf in a freezer and work out the time? Also they seem to have no way for
anyone with poor sight to set them up, and in any case they still have te
push down handle.
Cars I think are mostly electronic to keep 'normal' peoples hands out of
them, so dealers etc can maximise their profits to fix things that you
might have done yourself before the brave new world. In fact most Electric
cars are very simple indeed, but their driver interface seems too
complicated according to taxi drivers I meet, not being able to drive.
Now technology is infesting vacuum cleaners with lasers and auto de tangle
brushes etc.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"ARW" <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>
> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes a
> snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
> when I am stationary. It does not.
>
> Plus an Adblue warning that I have only 1500 miles left before the vehicle
> cannot be driven has been on for the last 1000 miles.
>
> Peugeot my arse.
>

> --
> Adam

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpfk5$8hf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82126&group=uk.d-i-y#82126

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 10:49:49 -0000
 by: NY - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 10:49 UTC

"Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote in message news:tnntvl$1qoh$1@dont-email.me...
> ARW <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
>> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>>
>> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
>> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
>> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
>> when I am stationary. It does not.
>>

> I’m not a fan of these stop / start gizmos but I have noticed they are a
> but more complex / picky than just turning off every time you stop.

The stop/start on our Honda CR-V displays a warning "auto stop disabled" (or
some such wording) if the air conditioning is turned on: it decides that it
is preferable to leave air con running than to stop the engine. There may be
a few other situations when it doesn't activate.

Hill start assist is a pain. But then doing a hill start even without it
enabled in the CR-V is a pain because there is a bit of play on the
handbrake shoes: you stop the car on the hill using the footbrake, apply the
handbrake, release the footbrake and the car "rolls" backwards slightly and
hits a sudden end-stop. It may just be as the suspension sorts itself out,
but it is a nuisance: I have to come off the footbrake very gently so the
rolling is gentle and there isn't the sudden stop. The actual process of
setting off is easy enough - for those who have learned how to do it
properly, without the benefit of hill-start assist: clutch up to biting
point, apply a bit of power, three-way manoeuvre to let clutch up a bit
more, apply a bit more power, release handbrake. It's the stopping and
changing over from footbrake to handbrake that "bites". The garage say it is
normal for that car. No other car I've driven has done it.

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpg97$8h2u$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82129&group=uk.d-i-y#82129

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 11:00:55 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 11:00 UTC

On 19/12/2022 10:49, NY wrote:
> "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote in message
>> ARW <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
>>> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>>>
>>> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
>>> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
>>> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
>>> when I am stationary. It does not.
>>>

>> I’m not a fan of these stop / start gizmos but I have noticed they are a
>> but more complex / picky than just turning off every time you stop.
>
> The stop/start on our Honda CR-V displays a warning "auto stop disabled"
> (or some such wording) if the air conditioning is turned on: it decides
> that it is preferable to leave air con running than to stop the engine.
> There may be a few other situations when it doesn't activate.
>
> Hill start assist is a pain. But then doing a hill start even without it
> enabled in the CR-V is a pain because there is a bit of play on the
> handbrake shoes: you stop the car on the hill using the footbrake, apply
> the handbrake, release the footbrake and the car "rolls" backwards
> slightly and hits a sudden end-stop. It may just be as the suspension
> sorts itself out, but it is a nuisance: I have to come off the footbrake
> very gently so the rolling is gentle and there isn't the sudden stop.
> The actual process of setting off is easy enough - for those who have
> learned how to do it properly, without the benefit of hill-start assist:
> clutch up to biting point, apply a bit of power, three-way manoeuvre to
> let clutch up a bit more, apply a bit more power, release handbrake.
> It's the stopping and changing over from footbrake to handbrake that
> "bites". The garage say it is normal for that car. No other car I've
> driven has done it.

A lot of cars with electrically operated handbrakes are like that
Thank Clapton for automatics.
Either use the handbrake and just put on throttle till it starts and
disconnects the brake, or left foot on the brake right on the throttle,
medium revs and release the footbrake. Almost like letting in the
clutch, just without a hand brake...

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<k0auvhFtf0lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82130&group=uk.d-i-y#82130

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 11:07:28 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 11:07 UTC

NY wrote:

> Hill start assist is a pain.

Not here, it's an joy.

> you stop the car on the hill using the footbrak
then take your foot off the brake pedal, and it holds it it on all four brakes
hydraulically, not by applying the handbrake.

> apply the handbrake, release the
> footbrake and the car "rolls" backwards slightly and hits a sudden end-stop.

no movement whatsoever, just touch the accellerator when you want to move
forwards again.

If you do leave it stopped on the hold-assist for ages (5+ minutes) the ABS pump
gets hot, so it will apply the electric handbrake instead, when setting off
after that, the rear-end does "haunch down" a little.

Clearly, they're not all the same ...

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpk0j$8qjc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82135&group=uk.d-i-y#82135

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:04:35 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:04 UTC

On 18/12/2022 20:14, ARW wrote:
> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..

If you jab the brakes I find they stay on for longer. Gently does it.

If I'm aggressive with the throttle/clutch I find the brakes release
much quicker.

The handbrake is a good alternative.

YMMV

> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
> when I am stationary. It does not.

Unless you're at lights for a prolonged time, I'd rather not wear out
the starter anyway.

> Plus an Adblue warning that I have only 1500 miles left before the
> vehicle cannot be driven has been on for the last 1000 miles.
>
> Peugeot my arse.

AdBlue is hardly expensive. Best fill it up?

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<k0b38lFu203U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82137&group=uk.d-i-y#82137

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:20:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:20 UTC

fred wrote:

> My experience with stop/start is that it works best on an automatic.

The only time I've driven a manual with stop/start was a loan car, and yes it
seemed more faff ...

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<J0b5dxMOvFojFwEb@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82139&group=uk.d-i-y#82139

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:40:46 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:40 UTC

In message <k0b38lFu203U1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>fred wrote:
>
>> My experience with stop/start is that it works best on an automatic.
>
>The only time I've driven a manual with stop/start was a loan car, and
>yes it seemed more faff ...

I have it on a manual Passat. Never used as I don't do any stop/start
driving!
Hill start assist is functional but my brain struggles with relying on
electronics to do something I learned to do manually 62 years ago. Push
button handbrake is a similar hurdle.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpn0v$a0ep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82141&group=uk.d-i-y#82141

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:55:58 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:55 UTC

On 19/12/2022 10:49, NY wrote:
> "Brian" <noinv@lid.org> wrote in message news:tnntvl$1qoh$1@dont-email.me...
>> ARW <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
>>> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>>>
>>> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
>>> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
>>> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
>>> when I am stationary. It does not.
>>>

>> I’m not a fan of these stop / start gizmos but I have noticed they are a
>> but more complex / picky than just turning off every time you stop.
>
> The stop/start on our Honda CR-V displays a warning "auto stop disabled" (or
> some such wording) if the air conditioning is turned on: it decides that it
> is preferable to leave air con running than to stop the engine. There may be
> a few other situations when it doesn't activate.

Same with my Jazz. But the software leaves a bit to be desired. The
battery (although now 7 years old) was ok at the last service a couple
of weeks ago, but auto start/stop hasn't worked for ages. If the car
hasn't warmed up enough, the warning sign that the auto-stop/start isn't
working is a battery (with a line through it?). However, most of the
time it shows the air-conditioning symbol as though it's the A/C which
is responsible. It's off most of the time during autumn and winter, so
can hardly be responsible. Anyway, as I hardly drive in traffic these
days which would mean a fair amount of use of the auto stop/start, it
doesn't bother me. At least I'm not blinding the guy behind with the
high-level stop light on all the time I'm stationary.

--

Jeff

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpn22$a0ul$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82142&group=uk.d-i-y#82142

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:56:34 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:56 UTC

On 19/12/2022 12:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <k0b38lFu203U1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>> fred wrote:
>>
>>> My experience with stop/start is that it works best on an automatic.
>>
>> The only time I've driven a manual with stop/start was a loan car, and
>> yes it seemed more faff ...
>
> I have it on a manual Passat. Never used as I don't do any stop/start
> driving!
> Hill start assist is functional but my brain struggles with relying on
> electronics to do something I learned to do manually 62 years ago. Push
> button handbrake is a similar hurdle.

Yup. My pull/push button handbrake works OK ish. The car does move when
its applied and I select neutral, which is the whole point of using in
as I don't like wasting power on the torque converter or whatever it is...

Not sure how it disconnects, but it seems to be when wheel torque is
enough to take up the slack again.

As you say, its pain relying on technology when your brain is already
wired to not use it. A handbrake that is on or off only is useless for
doing handbrake turns...

But I must say my little Jag was very well behaved in all the snow and
ice, flashing up DSC and ABS warnings and the rear stepped out or the
brakes locked.

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<k0b6pgFuf82U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82145&group=uk.d-i-y#82145

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:20:48 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:20 UTC

On 19/12/2022 12:55, Jeff Layman wrote:

> working is a battery (with a line through it?). However, most of the
> time it shows the air-conditioning symbol as though it's the A/C which
> is responsible. It's off most of the time during autumn and winter, so
> can hardly be responsible.

On many cars the AC gets switched on automatically if you direct air at
the windscreen to demist it. The AC dries the incoming air rather than
performing a heating/cooling function.

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpq8t$l7s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82149&group=uk.d-i-y#82149

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:51:24 +0000
 by: Andrew - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:51 UTC

On 18/12/2022 20:14, ARW wrote:
> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>
> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
> when I am stationary. It does not.
>
> Plus an Adblue warning that I have only 1500 miles left before the
> vehicle cannot be driven has been on for the last 1000 miles.
>
> Peugeot my arse.

Neighbours sons' 2nd wife has a 3-YO with spina bifida
so naturally the entire family get a £45K crossover
motability car.

It conked out after 3 days and they couldn't understand
the dashboard lights (and too lazy or dim to RTFM) so they
called out the (also totally free) AA, who diagnosed lack
of AdBlu.

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpqbb$l7s$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82150&group=uk.d-i-y#82150

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:52:42 +0000
 by: Andrew - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:52 UTC

On 19/12/2022 08:26, Jim gm4dhj ... wrote:

> old bangers are better mr reay

car or wife ?

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpqke$s0s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82152&group=uk.d-i-y#82152

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:57:33 +0000
 by: Andrew - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 13:57 UTC

On 19/12/2022 11:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> NY wrote:
>
>> Hill start assist is a pain.
>
> Not here, it's an joy.
>
>> you stop the car on the hill using the footbrak
> then take your foot off the brake pedal, and it holds it it on all four
> brakes hydraulically, not by applying the handbrake.
>
>> apply the handbrake, release the footbrake and the car "rolls"
>> backwards slightly and hits a sudden end-stop.
>
> no movement whatsoever, just touch the accellerator when you want to
> move forwards again.
>
> If you do leave it stopped on the hold-assist for ages (5+ minutes) the
> ABS pump gets hot, so it will apply the electric handbrake instead, when
> setting off after that, the rear-end does "haunch down" a little.
>
> Clearly, they're not all the same ...

Make/model of car ?

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpquv$a0ep$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82154&group=uk.d-i-y#82154

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:03:11 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:03 UTC

On 19/12/2022 13:20, alan_m wrote:
> On 19/12/2022 12:55, Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> working is a battery (with a line through it?). However, most of the
>> time it shows the air-conditioning symbol as though it's the A/C which
>> is responsible. It's off most of the time during autumn and winter, so
>> can hardly be responsible.
>
> On many cars the AC gets switched on automatically if you direct air at
> the windscreen to demist it. The AC dries the incoming air rather than
> performing a heating/cooling function.

On the Jazz it's not automatic.

--

Jeff

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<k0b9emFh0rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82156&group=uk.d-i-y#82156

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:06:12 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:06 UTC

Andrew wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Clearly, they're not all the same ...
>
> Make/model of car ?

Audi A5 auto (dual clutch)

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpuke$c8go$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82161&group=uk.d-i-y#82161

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:05:50 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:05 UTC

On 19/12/2022 08:26, Jim gm4dhj ... wrote:
> On 18/12/2022 20:42, Brian wrote:
>> ARW <adamwadsworth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> WTF I could park the old van in seconds - this fucker automatically puts
>>> puts the brakes on when on a hill and makes hard work of an easy job..
>>>
>>> And a green letter A inside a nearly 360 degree circle that looks likes
>>> a snake eating itself when I pull up at traffic lights etc. So that's a
>>> faulty stop start warning light. So the engine is supposed to turn off
>>> when I am stationary. It does not.
>>>

>> I’m not a fan of these stop / start gizmos but I have noticed they are a
>> but more complex / picky than just turning off every time you stop.
>>
>> The one on the Smart car seemed to decide if the battery was fully
>> charged
>> first and, I suspect, if it thought there may be an issue restarting (
>> how
>> heaven knows).
>>
>> The one on the Aygo is similar but will restart after a couple of
>> minutes -
>> even if you do nothing. Plus, being a manual, you need to be in
>> neutral and
>> have the handbrake on. Oddly, while it will start itself like this,
>> you can
>> only start the car yourself normally with the clutch depressed.
>>
>> The hybrid is even smarter but, as it switches seamlessly from
>> electric to
>> ICE etc it is had to know what is/ isn’t the start stop system.
>>
>> I used to turn the system off on the Smart Car but on the Aygo it works
>> well enough not to be irritating.
>>

> old bangers are better mr reay
aygo now...sold the picanto have we ? .....

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpumr$c8go$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82163&group=uk.d-i-y#82163

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:07:07 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:07 UTC

On 19/12/2022 13:52, Andrew wrote:
> On 19/12/2022 08:26, Jim gm4dhj ... wrote:
>
>> old bangers are better mr reay
>
> car or wife ?
so funny

Re: OT Hill start assist and the new van

<tnpv21$c9h8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82164&group=uk.d-i-y#82164

From: non...@forme.com (Bev)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:13:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bev - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:13 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 11:07:28 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> NY wrote:
>
>> Hill start assist is a pain.
>
> Not here, it's an joy.
>
>> you stop the car on the hill using the footbrak
> then take your foot off the brake pedal, and it holds it it on all four
> brakes hydraulically, not by applying the handbrake.
>
>> apply the handbrake, release the footbrake and the car "rolls"
>> backwards slightly and hits a sudden end-stop.
>
> no movement whatsoever, just touch the accellerator when you want to
> move forwards again.

Toyota RAV4 and Suburu are the same, good innit?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT Hill start assist and the new van