aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

SubjectAuthor
* 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchPhilip Herlihy
+- Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchTheo
+* Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchRJH
|`- Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchnewshound
+- Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchwasbit
+* Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchPhilip Herlihy
|`* Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchGB
| `- Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchPhilip Herlihy
`- Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to matchPedro Valdez

1
2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<MPG.3aefcac4bf8a1f44989924@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=821&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#821

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 19:52:24 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 25 Apr 2021 18:52 UTC

I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of software
she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently has two 2GB
cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with 4GB ones. But 6GB
might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards of different sizes, or
just bad technical manners?

--

Phil, London

Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<S5y*1qxiy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=822&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#822

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match
Date: 25 Apr 2021 21:28:04 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 25 Apr 2021 20:28 UTC

Philip Herlihy <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:
> I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of
> software she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently
> has two 2GB cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with
> 4GB ones. But 6GB might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards
> of different sizes, or just bad technical manners?

It'll probably work. If one is slower than the other it might drop down to
the lower speed.

Buy one 4GB module, try it? If it doesn't work, remove the 2GB and buy
another 4GB?

Theo

Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<s65ocu$8f0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=823&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#823

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 06:59:42 +0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 06:59 UTC

On 25 Apr 2021 at 19:52:24 BST, "Philip Herlihy" <thiswillbounceback@you.com>
wrote:

> I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of
> software
> she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently has two 2GB
>
> cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with 4GB ones. But
> 6GB
> might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards of different sizes, or
> just bad technical manners?

I'd check that the OS/laptop can 'see' more than 4GB first.

And if there isn't already one installed, think about an SSD instead.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<s65ud0$hmr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=824&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#824

From: wasbitre...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 09:41:57 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 08:41 UTC

"Philip Herlihy" <thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote in message
> I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of
> software
> she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently has two
> 2GB
> cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with 4GB ones.
> But 6GB
> might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards of different sizes,
> or
> just bad technical manners?

It will work as long as the memory is compatible.
I've just done this for someone.
PC had 2 x 2GB sticks. Downloaded the motherboard manual.
PC will accept 2 x 4GB sticks so replaced 1 x 2GB with 1 x 4GB to make 6GB.
When the owner can scrape the money together I'll look for another 4GB.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<MPG.3af0aea5b30a85b7989925@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=825&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#825

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:04:41 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 11:04 UTC

In article <MPG.3aefcac4bf8a1f44989924@news.eternal-september.org>,
thiswillbounceback@you.com says...

> I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of software
> she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently has two 2GB
> cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with 4GB ones. But 6GB
> might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards of different sizes, or
> just bad technical manners?

Thanks, Theo, Rob & Wasbit.

I thought I'd seen this sort of combination before, but after illuminating
answers to a previous question I wanted to check.

Two more GB will likely make a difference. The machine has an SSD, but still
seems rather slow. It has an i3 processor, and looking in Process Explorer the
"System Idle Process" isn't often seen at the top of the CPU ranking. She has
a lot of stuff installed, though I haven't seen anything she couldn't justify.
ProcExp gives the peak "Commit Charge" - which I take as the peak memory
*demand* during the current session as significantly over 4GB but mostly under
6, so an extra two should avoid quite a lot of paging delay.

--

Phil, London

Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<s668hn$k32$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=826&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#826

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:35:20 +0100
 by: GB - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 11:35 UTC

On 26/04/2021 12:04, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> In article <MPG.3aefcac4bf8a1f44989924@news.eternal-september.org>,
> thiswillbounceback@you.com says...
>>
>> I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of software
>> she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently has two 2GB
>> cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with 4GB ones. But 6GB
>> might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards of different sizes, or
>> just bad technical manners?
>
> Thanks, Theo, Rob & Wasbit.
>
> I thought I'd seen this sort of combination before, but after illuminating
> answers to a previous question I wanted to check.
>
> Two more GB will likely make a difference. The machine has an SSD, but still
> seems rather slow. It has an i3 processor, and looking in Process Explorer the
> "System Idle Process" isn't often seen at the top of the CPU ranking. She has
> a lot of stuff installed, though I haven't seen anything she couldn't justify.
> ProcExp gives the peak "Commit Charge" - which I take as the peak memory
> *demand* during the current session as significantly over 4GB but mostly under
> 6, so an extra two should avoid quite a lot of paging delay.

She is using win 10 64 bit version, then?

Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<MPG.3af0e6066a90c4ef989926@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=831&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#831

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 16:01:01 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:01 UTC

In article <s668hn$k32$1@dont-email.me>, NOTsomeone@microsoft.com says...

> On 26/04/2021 12:04, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> > In article <MPG.3aefcac4bf8a1f44989924@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > thiswillbounceback@you.com says...
> >>
> >> I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of software
> >> she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently has two 2GB
> >> cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with 4GB ones. But 6GB
> >> might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards of different sizes, or
> >> just bad technical manners?
> >
> > Thanks, Theo, Rob & Wasbit.
> >
> > I thought I'd seen this sort of combination before, but after illuminating
> > answers to a previous question I wanted to check.
> >
> > Two more GB will likely make a difference. The machine has an SSD, but still
> > seems rather slow. It has an i3 processor, and looking in Process Explorer the
> > "System Idle Process" isn't often seen at the top of the CPU ranking. She has
> > a lot of stuff installed, though I haven't seen anything she couldn't justify.
> > ProcExp gives the peak "Commit Charge" - which I take as the peak memory
> > *demand* during the current session as significantly over 4GB but mostly under
> > 6, so an extra two should avoid quite a lot of paging delay.
> >

> She is using win 10 64 bit version, then?

Yes - and I did double-check!

--

Phil, London

Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<wa6dnTPNjIibwzD9nZ2dnUU78emdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=993&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#993

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 21:28:55 +0100
 by: newshound - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:28 UTC

On 26/04/2021 07:59, RJH wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2021 at 19:52:24 BST, "Philip Herlihy" <thiswillbounceback@you.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of
>> software
>> she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently has two 2GB
>>
>> cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with 4GB ones. But
>> 6GB
>> might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards of different sizes, or
>> just bad technical manners?
>
> I'd check that the OS/laptop can 'see' more than 4GB first.
>
> And if there isn't already one installed, think about an SSD instead.

240GB SATA SSD (which might be fine for many users) now only £22.

Re: 2GB + 4GB - or do they need to match

<4e3905ec-847d-48c7-87af-c9c21b0d3f81n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1001&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1001

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 04:03:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: pedro1...@lycos.com (Pedro Valdez)
 by: Pedro Valdez - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:03 UTC

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 2:52:25 AM UTC+8, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> I have a friend who has a laptop with only 4GB of memory, and loads of software
> she wants to run on it. She's on a limited income. It currently has two 2GB
> cards, so the obvious solution would be to replace both with 4GB ones. But 6GB
> might well be enough - is it a bad idea to have cards of different sizes, or
> just bad technical manners?

you will get 4 GiB running dual channel and 2 GiB running slower single channel