Honesty's the best policy. -- Miguel de Cervantes

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

SubjectAuthor
* Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperatureHVS
+* Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperatureFredxx
|`* Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperatureBrian Gaff
| `- Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperatureFredxx
+- Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperatureJohn J
+- Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperatureTim+
+- Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperatureJohn Rumm
`- Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperatureHarry Bloomfield Esq

1
Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

<XnsAF746A4DE64A3whhvans@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82364&group=uk.d-i-y#82364

From: off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:27:00 GMT
 by: HVS - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:27 UTC

We've got a Baxi Solo 2 PF boiler that was installed about 10 years ago
(it's a conventional/non-condensing boiler).

I recently checked the HW and CH programme and temperature settings
(which I haven't changed for many years) -- the HW tank and immersion
heater thermostats, and slightly reducing the programmed on/off times
-- and want to check the boiler output temperature.

The thermostat dial on the boiler has the usual settings -- Off, frost
(*) and temperature settings from 1 to 6. It's current set to "4", but
I have no idea what temperature that represents.

I've poked about online, but haven't found anything that tells me how
the 1-6 settings relate to the output temperature.

Any ideas?

--
Cheers, Harvey

Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

<tnuoj9$10pcn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82367&group=uk.d-i-y#82367

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:53:28 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:53 UTC

On 21/12/2022 10:27, HVS wrote:
> We've got a Baxi Solo 2 PF boiler that was installed about 10 years ago
> (it's a conventional/non-condensing boiler).
>
> I recently checked the HW and CH programme and temperature settings
> (which I haven't changed for many years) -- the HW tank and immersion
> heater thermostats, and slightly reducing the programmed on/off times
> -- and want to check the boiler output temperature.
>
> The thermostat dial on the boiler has the usual settings -- Off, frost
> (*) and temperature settings from 1 to 6. It's current set to "4", but
> I have no idea what temperature that represents.
>
> I've poked about online, but haven't found anything that tells me how
> the 1-6 settings relate to the output temperature.
>
> Any ideas?

Get a pipe thermometer on the flow pipe.

Make sure it has good thermal contact with the pipe, most are rather
poor and read low.

Another way is to wrap the 'flow' pipe in tape and use an IR
thermometer. The raw pipe will be reflective in the IR band, and so best
covered it with tape to provide an emissive surface.

Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

<01fef988-76d5-4744-ba3d-21da6ab64a3bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82371&group=uk.d-i-y#82371

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 03:52:02 -0800 (PST)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 11:52 UTC

On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 at 10:27:04 UTC, HVS wrote:
> We've got a Baxi Solo 2 PF boiler that was installed about 10 years ago
> (it's a conventional/non-condensing boiler).
>
> I recently checked the HW and CH programme and temperature settings
> (which I haven't changed for many years) -- the HW tank and immersion
> heater thermostats, and slightly reducing the programmed on/off times
> -- and want to check the boiler output temperature.
>
> The thermostat dial on the boiler has the usual settings -- Off, frost
> (*) and temperature settings from 1 to 6. It's current set to "4", but
> I have no idea what temperature that represents.
>
> I've poked about online, but haven't found anything that tells me how
> the 1-6 settings relate to the output temperature.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Cheers, Harvey
Get yourself an electronic thermometer. Thermocouple types are readily available for not much money on ebay.

Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

<1491154253.693319586.757969.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82376&group=uk.d-i-y#82376

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Dec 2022 12:49:35 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 12:49 UTC

HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk> wrote:
> We've got a Baxi Solo 2 PF boiler that was installed about 10 years ago
> (it's a conventional/non-condensing boiler).
>
> I recently checked the HW and CH programme and temperature settings
> (which I haven't changed for many years) -- the HW tank and immersion
> heater thermostats, and slightly reducing the programmed on/off times
> -- and want to check the boiler output temperature.
>
> The thermostat dial on the boiler has the usual settings -- Off, frost
> (*) and temperature settings from 1 to 6. It's current set to "4", but
> I have no idea what temperature that represents.
>
> I've poked about online, but haven't found anything that tells me how
> the 1-6 settings relate to the output temperature.
>
> Any ideas?

Just be aware that all the advice about reducing flow temperature could be
damaging to a non-condensing boiler if it has a cast iron heat exchanger.
You *don’t* want water condensing inside a boiler that isn’t corrosion
resistant or have any way of dealing with condensate.

Must admit to being a bit surprised that you could get a non-condensing
boiler as recently as 10 years ago…

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

<tnv9ph$127ac$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82394&group=uk.d-i-y#82394

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:46:57 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:46 UTC

On 21/12/2022 10:27, HVS wrote:
> We've got a Baxi Solo 2 PF boiler that was installed about 10 years ago
> (it's a conventional/non-condensing boiler).
>
> I recently checked the HW and CH programme and temperature settings
> (which I haven't changed for many years) -- the HW tank and immersion
> heater thermostats, and slightly reducing the programmed on/off times
> -- and want to check the boiler output temperature.
>
> The thermostat dial on the boiler has the usual settings -- Off, frost
> (*) and temperature settings from 1 to 6. It's current set to "4", but
> I have no idea what temperature that represents.
>
> I've poked about online, but haven't found anything that tells me how
> the 1-6 settings relate to the output temperature.
>
> Any ideas?

6 will be "max" which would probably be 85 to 90 deg C...

If it is a non condenser then there is not march benefit in turning it
down other than for less pipe clanking and ticking in the warmer months
of the heating system. Make sure the return temp is 60 or higher to
precent condensation in the boiler.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

<tnveb5$11qaj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82400&group=uk.d-i-y#82400

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 17:04:37 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 17:04 UTC

On 21/12/2022 10:27, HVS wrote:
> I've poked about online, but haven't found anything that tells me how
> the 1-6 settings relate to the output temperature.

One of these, with the sensor clopped to the flow pipe, with some
insulation over the top, will be very accurate. They read in degrees C.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225084166392

A pair will enable you to watch both flow and return temperatures.

Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

<to1fgd$1c0hk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82458&group=uk.d-i-y#82458

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:36:40 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:36 UTC

Would this not to some extent depend on the loading and losses in the rads?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote in message
> On 21/12/2022 10:27, HVS wrote:
>> We've got a Baxi Solo 2 PF boiler that was installed about 10 years ago
>> (it's a conventional/non-condensing boiler).
>>
>> I recently checked the HW and CH programme and temperature settings
>> (which I haven't changed for many years) -- the HW tank and immersion
>> heater thermostats, and slightly reducing the programmed on/off times
>> -- and want to check the boiler output temperature.
>>
>> The thermostat dial on the boiler has the usual settings -- Off, frost
>> (*) and temperature settings from 1 to 6. It's current set to "4", but
>> I have no idea what temperature that represents.
>>
>> I've poked about online, but haven't found anything that tells me how
>> the 1-6 settings relate to the output temperature.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Get a pipe thermometer on the flow pipe.
>
> Make sure it has good thermal contact with the pipe, most are rather poor
> and read low.
>
> Another way is to wrap the 'flow' pipe in tape and use an IR thermometer.
> The raw pipe will be reflective in the IR band, and so best covered it
> with tape to provide an emissive surface.

Re: Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature

<to1jua$1ccia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82472&group=uk.d-i-y#82472

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:52:26 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:52 UTC

On 22/12/2022 11:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Would this not to some extent depend on the loading and losses in the rads?
> Brian

I'm not sure if I follow, certainly the exit/flow temperature will take
time to increase but most boilers modulate on the exit temperature. Once
it's in modulating mode the OP will be able to associate a setting
number with actual temperature.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Baxi Solo 2PF - setting output temperature