If the government doesn't trust the people, why doesn't it dissolve them and elect a new people?

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Another complaint about billsJenny M Benson
+- OT: Another complaint about billsJ. P. Gilliver (John)
+- OT: Another complaint about billsMike McMillan
+* OT: Another complaint about billskrw

Pages:12
OT: Another complaint about bills

<je9nh1FqvrnU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8206&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8206

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: Another complaint about bills
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 14:01:21 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sat, 14 May 2022 13:01 UTC

Now that E-on have managed to get their act together sufficiently to
send e-mails saying how much they are going to take from one's bank AND
when they are going to take it, why the heck can't they also say whether
it's for gas or electricity? And why do the two fuels now have to come
on separate bills for which the payments are extracted on separate
(consecutive) days? (We'll overlook the fact that they said I opted for
monthly bills, which I didn't.)

And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to the
website every time? (And, incidentally, why do they always say they are
taking the DD on or soon after <date> when <date> is always a Sunday and
the DD is never taken until the next day?)

(They're not my only grumps for to-day, of course, but I'll spare you
the rest.)

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<ZueGc9No36fiFwLS@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8207&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8207

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Another complaint about bills
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 14:26:00 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 14 May 2022 13:26 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 at 14:01:21, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>Now that E-on have managed to get their act together sufficiently to
>send e-mails saying how much they are going to take from one's bank AND
>when they are going to take it, why the heck can't they also say
>whether it's for gas or electricity? And why do the two fuels now have
>to come on separate bills for which the payments are extracted on
>separate (consecutive) days? (We'll overlook the fact that they said I
>opted for monthly bills, which I didn't.)

Asking on Twitter, I'm afraid, is more likely to get a response.

>And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
>going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to
>the website every time? (And, incidentally, why do they always say
>they are taking the DD on or soon after <date> when <date> is always a
>Sunday and the DD is never taken until the next day?)

Unless they actually pay you (calling it a "DD discount" or similar),
opt out of DD. Then they _have_ to tell you how much they want. I
_think_ they may be obliged not to charge you extra for a paper bill,
too, though if such an obligation exists it may have evaporated when you
accepted that mechanism.

>(They're not my only grumps for to-day, of course, but I'll spare you
>the rest.)

(-:

The squeamish will squeam a lot.
(Barry Norman on the film "300", in Radio Times 30 March-5 April 2013.)

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<t5ob5v$7kg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8208&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8208

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 13:34:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Zn/HF8T2xkL3YuJOOc1GBzMdON0=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 14 May 2022 13:34 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Now that E-on have managed to get their act together sufficiently to
> send e-mails saying how much they are going to take from one's bank AND
> when they are going to take it, why the heck can't they also say whether
> it's for gas or electricity? And why do the two fuels now have to come
> on separate bills for which the payments are extracted on separate
> (consecutive) days? (We'll overlook the fact that they said I opted for
> monthly bills, which I didn't.)
>
> And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
> going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to the
> website every time? (And, incidentally, why do they always say they are
> taking the DD on or soon after <date> when <date> is always a Sunday and
> the DD is never taken until the next day?)
>
> (They're not my only grumps for to-day, of course, but I'll spare you
> the rest.)

Grump away Jenny! Won’t amount to a hill o’ beans compared to my grumps
with Eon - that is why we are signing up with Octopus Energy on the 29th.
of May, (making the most of our fixed rate tariff that runs out in early
July.) [Thank you Flop, you will be hearing from the eight legs in due
course]. Mine dew, if the tariffs ever settle down to something approaching
the old normal again, the ROI on our solar powering project will return to
the original estimate but, if rates stay as they are, ROI will only be 6-8
years!!!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<t5of0q$anf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8209&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8209

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 15:40:28 +0100
 by: krw - Sat, 14 May 2022 14:40 UTC

On 14.5.22 14:01, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
> going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to the
> website every time?

I do not know about BT as I am with Plusnet. Plusnet, Barclaycard and
American Express all tell me how much they are collecting.

I thought all DD users had to actually say how much they were collecting.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<p8mv7h12e2uoo60ll5s4nos9mlkiciqq92@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8210&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8210

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 17:32:57 +0100
 by: Vicky - Sat, 14 May 2022 16:32 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 15:40:28 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 14.5.22 14:01, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
>> going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to the
>> website every time?
>
>I do not know about BT as I am with Plusnet. Plusnet, Barclaycard and
>American Express all tell me how much they are collecting.
>
>I thought all DD users had to actually say how much they were collecting.

Bulb do tell me but now not any more as I cancelled the DD and just
pay what is owed monthly. When I searched advice websites to change
supplier they advised staying for now as Bulb are in administration,
but I don't want them to finally go bust where they hold a credit for
me, anotehr reason I cancelled the DD.

My complaint now is how expensive power got but Mike's wish to go back
to old bill levels is not going to happen. Bulb do send a bill that
shows separately the gas and electricity readings, calculations and
cost. And then adds them for a total.

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<t5omka$mko$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8211&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8211

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 16:50:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8ZPur1P6K6ESKzKpA7+5DLZrjio=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 14 May 2022 16:50 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 15:40:28 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 14.5.22 14:01, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
>>> going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to the
>>> website every time?
>>
>> I do not know about BT as I am with Plusnet. Plusnet, Barclaycard and
>> American Express all tell me how much they are collecting.
>>
>> I thought all DD users had to actually say how much they were collecting.
>
> Bulb do tell me but now not any more as I cancelled the DD and just
> pay what is owed monthly. When I searched advice websites to change
> supplier they advised staying for now as Bulb are in administration,
> but I don't want them to finally go bust where they hold a credit for
> me, anotehr reason I cancelled the DD.
>
> My complaint now is how expensive power got but Mike's wish to go back
> to old bill levels is not going to happen. Bulb do send a bill that
> shows separately the gas and electricity readings, calculations and
> cost. And then adds them for a total.

I believe there is a procedure in place to re-imburse funds to luckless
customers when energy suppliers go down the plug-hole - but I think that
timelyness does not come into the equation. Of course, some of the increase
in standing charges is being used to cross-subsidise for this compensation.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<t5on47$pl8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8212&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8212

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 16:58:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+UG69P+DgqMCVb7xzzLxBhW2exM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 14 May 2022 16:58 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:

> My complaint now is how expensive power got but Mike's wish to go back
> to old bill levels is not going to happen.

No, I’m sure it will not, I hope that our own power generation will cover
more than half of our annual consumption, maybe even 65% as, during the
sunshiney months (technical term there) the panels should generate far more
energy than we consume and that this will assist us to reduce the cost
during the gloomier months when generation is unlikely to even match daily
consumption. We are going all-electric as soon as we are able and thus
reduce our standing charges to one meter rather than gas as well.

The most common things that go up and then down again are far more familiar
as space rockets.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<6kvv7hluqve9tusn4qoiir29jdo4um5hqv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8215&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8215

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 20:11:48 +0100
 by: Penny - Sat, 14 May 2022 19:11 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 17:32:57 +0100, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...

>On Sat, 14 May 2022 15:40:28 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 14.5.22 14:01, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
>>> going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to the
>>> website every time?
>>
>>I do not know about BT as I am with Plusnet. Plusnet, Barclaycard and
>>American Express all tell me how much they are collecting.
>>
>>I thought all DD users had to actually say how much they were collecting.
>
>Bulb do tell me but now not any more as I cancelled the DD and just
>pay what is owed monthly. When I searched advice websites to change
>supplier they advised staying for now as Bulb are in administration,
>but I don't want them to finally go bust where they hold a credit for
>me, anotehr reason I cancelled the DD.

Bulb have already gone bust, I don't think there is any danger of your
losing any credit you have(had).
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<t5ov39$1f69$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8216&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8216

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 20:14:48 +0100
 by: Joe Kerr - Sat, 14 May 2022 19:14 UTC

On 14/05/2022 14:01, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Now that E-on have managed to get their act together sufficiently to
> send e-mails saying how much they are going to take from one's bank AND
> when they are going to take it, why the heck can't they also say whether
> it's for gas or electricity?  And why do the two fuels now have to come
> on separate bills for which the payments are extracted on separate
> (consecutive) days?  (We'll overlook the fact that they said I opted for
> monthly bills, which I didn't.)
>
> And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
> going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to the
> website every time?  (And, incidentally, why do they always say they are
> taking the DD on or soon after <date> when <date> is always a Sunday and
> the DD is never taken until the next day?)

You're lucky to get a anything from BT. I've been unable to access any
billing or usage information for almost a year; since they messed up my
account when I upgraded to fibre. You can't actually contact them about
existing problems or technical problems. Whenever I call a support
centre at random the person assumes that my inability to access billing
data is because I'm too stupid to be able to log on and tries to get me
to change my userid or password (which the system won't let me do). Last
time I spoke to a supervisor (late last year) he promised it would be
fixed in 24 (working) hours. I infer that they work incredibly slowly as
all that has happened is that they have stopped sending me emails to say
that my bill is (theoretically) available.

> (They're not my only grumps for to-day, of course, but I'll spare you
> the rest.)

But you have such lovely grumps.

--
Ric

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<qZTfK.44154$qMI1.17392@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8219&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8219

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 21:06:46 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 14 May 2022 20:06 UTC

On 14-May-22 17:50, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Of course, some of the increase
> in standing charges is being used to cross-subsidise for this compensation.

One of my bugbears.
I accept that the cost of _energy_ has shot up, but how does that
justify a massive increase in standing charges?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<js008ht8v1llantqfjpmbqkedk62a3aamo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8220&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8220

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 21:15:09 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 14 May 2022 20:15 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 14:01:21 +0100, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Now that E-on have managed to get their act together sufficiently to
>send e-mails saying how much they are going to take from one's bank AND
>when they are going to take it, why the heck can't they also say whether
>it's for gas or electricity? And why do the two fuels now have to come
>on separate bills for which the payments are extracted on separate
>(consecutive) days? (We'll overlook the fact that they said I opted for
>monthly bills, which I didn't.)
>
>And as for BT, why can't their warning letter say how much they are
>going to extract from my bank account to save me having to log on to the
>website every time? (And, incidentally, why do they always say they are
>taking the DD on or soon after <date> when <date> is always a Sunday and
>the DD is never taken until the next day?)
>
>(They're not my only grumps for to-day, of course, but I'll spare you
>the rest.)

ICBW(IUA) but it looks to me as if one thing you and the otherats with
energy company ishews have in common is paperless billing. A meringue?

I was transferred to Eon-next from Npower without being asked but
there are three reasons why I haven't abandoned paper bills posted to
my home:

1)The Level-Playing-Field Effect. I'll explain if you want me to but
it's not important right now
2)Npower were so hopeless with their billing that I wanted real,
printed accounts to work from. a) I didn't see why I should have all
the work of printing them myself since it was their accounting I was
checking and b) I don't think I trusted them not to alter on-line
versions of my bills on a whim.
3)I haven't checked out 1) yet because I'm still watching for 2)and I
haven't really been with Eon-next long enough to tell if their billing
is more okay than Npower's

So that's paper bills vs. paperless. My paper bills contain all the
information and (mostly now Npower is gone) in the right order.

The next thing is: why do so many people opt for regular monthly
payments on their direct debit? I can see that having regular
outgoings may help with working out budgeting but also, if money is
tight, regularly overpaying for energy is putting unused money where
it can't easily be accessed. My bills show how much energy I have used
and my direct debit only pays for what I have used and is different
every month.

Finally. everyone is saying that there are no price-lock deals any
more that are better than the Standard Variable Tariff (SVT) and I
believe them. And the same people are saying that when the October
price rise comes around, because of the regulatory restrictions placed
on the energy companies the SVT will still be the cheapest option. In
my opinion anybody not on the SVT ought to move to it anytime they can
do so without penalty. There may be a time in the future when the SVT
is not the best option but that time seems a long way off.

Nick

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<nh308hp7v2v4ia2oqt3c24bcahph4oee9l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8221&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8221

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 21:21:33 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 14 May 2022 20:21 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:06:46 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 14-May-22 17:50, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Of course, some of the increase
>> in standing charges is being used to cross-subsidise for this compensation.
>
>One of my bugbears.
>I accept that the cost of _energy_ has shot up, but how does that
>justify a massive increase in standing charges?

Because - and this is especially true if you are on the SVT - they are
still charging domestic customers hopelessly less than it's costing
them to buy the energy and by racking up the standing charge they are
recouping some extra money against their losses.

The whole energy market is gbgnyyl shpxrq[1]

Nick
[1]Umrats of a nervous disposition should NOT de-ROT this

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<BAdgnhZZoBgiFwil@a.a>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8223&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8223

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 22:07:37 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 14 May 2022 21:07 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 at 21:15:09, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
[]
>ICBW(IUA) but it looks to me as if one thing you and the otherats with
>energy company ishews have in common is paperless billing. A meringue?

I certainly find the one I have paperless billing with
(Octopus-pretending-to-be-M&S) is the source of the most problems.

>I was transferred to Eon-next from Npower without being asked but

I was transferred to Eon-next from Eon without being asked. The only
difference has been I finally had to give in and open an "online
account" in order to make payments (which I do - by credit card - the
day I receive my paper bill from them). [OK, I could probably pay by
'phone, but that would involve a long wait - followed by someone who
would see their only goal in life as being to get me to take our an
online account).

>there are three reasons why I haven't abandoned paper bills posted to
>my home:
>
>1)The Level-Playing-Field Effect. I'll explain if you want me to but
>it's not important right now

Airplane ...

(I'm guessing the LPF effect is to do with the basic problem with DDs.)

>2)Npower were so hopeless with their billing that I wanted real,
>printed accounts to work from. a) I didn't see why I should have all
>the work of printing them myself since it was their accounting I was
>checking and b) I don't think I trusted them not to alter on-line
>versions of my bills on a whim.

Same here (any of the companies. I had a _long_ argument with PlusNet to
get my bills fixed - still not sure they have).

>3)I haven't checked out 1) yet because I'm still watching for 2)and I
>haven't really been with Eon-next long enough to tell if their billing
>is more okay than Npower's
>
>So that's paper bills vs. paperless. My paper bills contain all the
>information and (mostly now Npower is gone) in the right order.

Sunshine.

>The next thing is: why do so many people opt for regular monthly
>payments on their direct debit? I can see that having regular
>outgoings may help with working out budgeting but also, if money is
>tight, regularly overpaying for energy is putting unused money where
>it can't easily be accessed. My bills show how much energy I have used

Because the energy companies put incredible pressure on you to do it
that way. I had to argue until blue in the face to get Octopus to let me
just pay for what I've used, every month. As I've said before, if
they're _really_ happy with a fixed amount every month, they should let
one pay by standing order, but they mostly don't - because that's
something _you_ are in control of.

>and my direct debit only pays for what I have used and is different
>every month.
>
>Finally. everyone is saying that there are no price-lock deals any
>more that are better than the Standard Variable Tariff (SVT) and I
>believe them. And the same people are saying that when the October
>price rise comes around, because of the regulatory restrictions placed
>on the energy companies the SVT will still be the cheapest option. In
>my opinion anybody not on the SVT ought to move to it anytime they can
>do so without penalty. There may be a time in the future when the SVT
>is not the best option but that time seems a long way off.
>
>Nick
I guess once things have settled down (even at a much higher price),
assuming they actually do, there'll come a point where knowing they have
a certain number of customers - whose average consumption they have some
idea of - will help them future plan, at which point they'll start
offering terms better than the SVT.

I rather like that here in TN27 0DD, we get our electricity bill on a
slip of paper, just before our monthly ground rent is due (I usually
write one cheque [remember cheques!] for both); in fact until the
previous warden retired just before CoViD, it was even hand-written!
We're gong to get a shock in (I think) October: the park negotiated a
3-year contract, which runs out then. We're currently still paying
14.56p + VAT per kWh.

....Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<t5p921$1osp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8224&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8224

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 23:04:47 +0100
 by: krw - Sat, 14 May 2022 22:04 UTC

On 14.5.22 21:21, Nick Odell wrote:
> gbgnyyl shpxrq

Whilst Turnpike of blessed memory had an ROT-13 thingy built in I don't
think that Thunderbird does.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<t5pah9$cmk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8226&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8226

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 23:29:59 +0100
 by: Joe Kerr - Sat, 14 May 2022 22:29 UTC

On 14/05/2022 23:04, krw wrote:
> On 14.5.22 21:21, Nick Odell wrote:
>> gbgnyyl shpxrq
>
> Whilst Turnpike of blessed memory had an ROT-13 thingy built in I don't
> think that Thunderbird does.

No, but there are websites that do it for a little copy and paste
effort. E.g, https://www.boxentriq.com/code-breaking/rot13

--
Ric

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<vec08hde119i4fqp4fe4hd0r4klm0gru33@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8227&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8227

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 23:50:28 +0100
 by: Penny - Sat, 14 May 2022 22:50 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:21:33 +0100, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...

>On Sat, 14 May 2022 21:06:46 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>>On 14-May-22 17:50, Mike McMillan wrote:
>>> Of course, some of the increase
>>> in standing charges is being used to cross-subsidise for this compensation.
>>
>>One of my bugbears.
>>I accept that the cost of _energy_ has shot up, but how does that
>>justify a massive increase in standing charges?
>
>Because - and this is especially true if you are on the SVT - they are
>still charging domestic customers hopelessly less than it's costing
>them to buy the energy and by racking up the standing charge they are
>recouping some extra money against their losses.
>
>The whole energy market is gbgnyyl shpxrq[1]
>
>Nick
>[1]Umrats of a nervous disposition should NOT de-ROT this

Gosh, it's so long since I saw any rot-13, I'd forgotten which menu it was
on. (I quite agree with the sentiment(?) though.)
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<sde08h1q8q3k7vt62rmdcsi22h5imo1fov@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8228&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8228

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 00:23:05 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 14 May 2022 23:23 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 23:29:59 +0100, Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com>
wrote:

>On 14/05/2022 23:04, krw wrote:
>> On 14.5.22 21:21, Nick Odell wrote:
>>> gbgnyyl shpxrq
>>
>> Whilst Turnpike of blessed memory had an ROT-13 thingy built in I don't
>> think that Thunderbird does.
>>
>No, but there are websites that do it for a little copy and paste
>effort. E.g, https://www.boxentriq.com/code-breaking/rot13

There's even rot13.com

Nick

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<ub-dnXz4rONp2R3_nZ2dnUU7-KudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8229&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8229

Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 01:10:27 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: tiny.had...@gmail.com (tiny hadron)
 by: tiny hadron - Sun, 15 May 2022 00:10 UTC

On 2022-05-15 00:23, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2022 23:29:59 +0100, Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com>
> wrote:

>>> Whilst Turnpike of blessed memory had an ROT-13 thingy built in I don't
>>> think that Thunderbird does.
>>>
>> No, but there are websites that do it for a little copy and paste
>> effort. E.g, https://www.boxentriq.com/code-breaking/rot13
>

> There's even rot13.com

QVL.

a-n
b-o
c-p
d-q
e-r
f-s
g-t
h-u
i-v
j-w
k-x
l-y
m-z

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<jebu95F99rfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8234&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8234

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 10:08:52 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sun, 15 May 2022 09:08 UTC

On 14/05/2022 23:04, krw wrote:

> Whilst Turnpike of blessed memory had an ROT-13 thingy built in I don't
> think that Thunderbird does.

Thanks, K Richard! I was thinking TB used to have a ROT-13 decoder and
was going to ask if I'd imagined it, but I used to be a Turnpike user,
so that will be where I remember it from.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<jebup6F9ddoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8235&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8235

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 10:17:25 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sun, 15 May 2022 09:17 UTC

On 14/05/2022 22:07, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> The next thing is: why do so many people opt for regular monthly
>> payments on their direct debit? I can see that having regular
>> outgoings may help with working out budgeting but also, if money is
>> tight, regularly overpaying for energy is putting unused money where
>> it can't easily be accessed. My bills show how much energy I have used
>
> Because the energy companies put incredible pressure on you to do it
> that way. I had to argue until blue in the face to get Octopus to let me
> just pay for what I've used, every month. As I've said before, if
> they're _really_ happy with a fixed amount every month, they should let
> one pay by standing order, but they mostly don't - because that's
> something _you_ are in control of.

Before E-on went Next generation I used to pay the whole bill quarterly.
They did keep saying there'd be a small discount if I opted to pay a
fixed amount monthly, but I didn't wish to do so. Now I am obliged to
pay monthly, but it is variable according to the bill.

I DO wish to be paperless wherever possible as this is the
environmentally friendly way to do things - especially here in Wales
where they send everything in duplicate. Why on earth it's beyond them
to ask (once) "Welsh or English?" and then press a button on the
computer to activate the appropriate version of the document I do not know.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<t5qj09$dam$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8237&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8237

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 10:00:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:s9TzODuDenZgTM1RbFTsAH3smhw=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 15 May 2022 10:00 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14/05/2022 22:07, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> The next thing is: why do so many people opt for regular monthly
>>> payments on their direct debit? I can see that having regular
>>> outgoings may help with working out budgeting but also, if money is
>>> tight, regularly overpaying for energy is putting unused money where
>>> it can't easily be accessed. My bills show how much energy I have used
>>
>> Because the energy companies put incredible pressure on you to do it
>> that way. I had to argue until blue in the face to get Octopus to let me
>> just pay for what I've used, every month. As I've said before, if
>> they're _really_ happy with a fixed amount every month, they should let
>> one pay by standing order, but they mostly don't - because that's
>> something _you_ are in control of.
>
> Before E-on went Next generation I used to pay the whole bill quarterly.
> They did keep saying there'd be a small discount if I opted to pay a
> fixed amount monthly, but I didn't wish to do so. Now I am obliged to
> pay monthly, but it is variable according to the bill.
>
> I DO wish to be paperless wherever possible as this is the
> environmentally friendly way to do things - especially here in Wales
> where they send everything in duplicate. Why on earth it's beyond them
> to ask (once) "Welsh or English?" and then press a button on the
> computer to activate the appropriate version of the document I do not know.

Ah but, Jenny; doing this requires one using a brain cell or two….

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<4po18h56ecmv4mcpgmih5polpgrm43nfie@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8238&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8238

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:28:44 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 15 May 2022 11:28 UTC

On Sun, 15 May 2022 10:17:25 +0100, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>I DO wish to be paperless wherever possible as this is the
>environmentally friendly way to do things - especially here in Wales
>where they send everything in duplicate. Why on earth it's beyond them
>to ask (once) "Welsh or English?" and then press a button on the
>computer to activate the appropriate version of the document I do not know.

I think you would have to ask the Government of Wales about that one:
from what I understand, the law requires English and Welsh, not
English or Welsh and there are strict rules in other areas about
signage, subtitling and dubbing videos and so on.

Nick

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<10p18hp5g8hs4fqaee63i4t0bn2hsepia5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8239&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8239

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:36:05 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 15 May 2022 11:36 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 22:07:37 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>(I'm guessing the LPF effect is to do with the basic problem with DDs.)
<snip>

It's about companies that want all their customers to go paperless but
then expect to receive genuine paper documents for identification
purposes. IOW they let the other companies carry the cost of their ID
requirements whilst they cut their own costs. I don't think that's
fair. For the moment I've been unable to discover what identification
material Eon-next would expect from an absolutely brand-new customer.

Nick

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<bsp18hpv4hthad745lelvtkb0f64995mdl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8240&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8240

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:47:18 +0100
 by: Penny - Sun, 15 May 2022 11:47 UTC

On Sun, 15 May 2022 10:17:25 +0100, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>I DO wish to be paperless wherever possible as this is the
>environmentally friendly way to do things - especially here in Wales
>where they send everything in duplicate. Why on earth it's beyond them
>to ask (once) "Welsh or English?" and then press a button on the
>computer to activate the appropriate version of the document I do not know.

I recently asked one of my utilities to bill me in English only (possibly
the water company, whose new name I still can neither spell nor pronounce),
they just said 'yes'. Worth a try?
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Another complaint about bills

<mus18hhdp9ogsqn0vagd5qoonm0mgfralh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8242&group=uk.media.radio.archers#8242

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 13:37:29 +0100
 by: Vicky - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:37 UTC

On Sun, 15 May 2022 12:28:44 +0100, Nick Odell
<nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2022 10:17:25 +0100, Jenny M Benson
><NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
><snip>
>>I DO wish to be paperless wherever possible as this is the
>>environmentally friendly way to do things - especially here in Wales
>>where they send everything in duplicate. Why on earth it's beyond them
>>to ask (once) "Welsh or English?" and then press a button on the
>>computer to activate the appropriate version of the document I do not know.
>
>I think you would have to ask the Government of Wales about that one:
>from what I understand, the law requires English and Welsh, not
>English or Welsh and there are strict rules in other areas about
>signage, subtitling and dubbing videos and so on.
>
>Nick

I changed to get Bulb bills on paper as well as pdf and viewable
online, thinking I might understand better one of the ways.