If you stand on your head, you will get footprints in your hair.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

SubjectAuthor
* Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysAndrew
+* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysChris Hogg
|+* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysAndy Burns
||+- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysBrian Gaff
||`* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysalan_m
|| `* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysJoe
||  +* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysThe Natural Philosopher
||  |`* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysTim Streater
||  | `- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysThe Natural Philosopher
||  `* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysalan_m
||   `- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysThe Natural Philosopher
|+- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysBrian Gaff
+* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysAndy Burns
|`* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysAndrew
| `- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysPaul
+- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysPaul
+* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent dayscharles
|`- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysjaouad zarrabi
+- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent dayswasbit
+- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysR D S
+- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysBrian Gaff
`* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysTim Streater
 +- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent dayscharles
 `* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysTim Lamb
  `* Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysAndy Burns
   `- Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent daysTim Lamb

Pages:12
Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<tnvlju$7av$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82408&group=uk.d-i-y#82408

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:08:46 +0000
 by: Andrew - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:08 UTC

This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
happens.

Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.

Andrew

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<nnn6qh5g017n33ck41dqbepn78ftbmodo5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82411&group=uk.d-i-y#82411

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:36:42 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:36 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:08:46 +0000, Andrew
<Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:

>This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
>Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
>happens.
>
>Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.
>
>Andrew

Using FF 108.0.1 which is the latest version I believe. Not had any
problems either now or in the recent past. What bugs me about FF is
the avalanche of upgrades that have been coming through in recent
months. Barely finished installing one and another comes along!

--
Chris

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<k0h6k4Fs7vqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82415&group=uk.d-i-y#82415

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:54:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:54 UTC

Andrew wrote:

> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
> happens.
>
> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.

Thankfully no, running FF 108.0.1 64bit on Win11 22H2

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<k0h6m3Fs7vqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82416&group=uk.d-i-y#82416

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:55:43 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:55 UTC

Chris Hogg wrote:

> What bugs me about FF is
> the avalanche of upgrades that have been coming through in recent
> months. Barely finished installing one and another comes along!

They take seconds to install, and they keep you safe, so why hate them?

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<tnvpgu$13u7j$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82421&group=uk.d-i-y#82421

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:15:26 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:15 UTC

On 21/12/2022 19:36, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:08:46 +0000, Andrew
> <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
>> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
>> happens.
>>
>> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Using FF 108.0.1 which is the latest version I believe. Not had any
> problems either now or in the recent past. What bugs me about FF is
> the avalanche of upgrades that have been coming through in recent
> months. Barely finished installing one and another comes along!

Yeah. Ive set my linux machines to auto upgrade, which happens in
background generally at night.
Firefox is always telling me 'to use the latest version, please restart
firefox'
Only issue Ive noticed is that on you tube, when a video is finished, if
you click on another one the last frame of the old one is displayed for
a split second.
And there's a memory leak I think. After a day or so it fucks up on the
laptop and slows to a crawl.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<tnvq5e$c4d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82424&group=uk.d-i-y#82424

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:26:25 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:26 UTC

On 12/21/2022 2:08 PM, Andrew wrote:
> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
> happens.
>
> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.
>
> Andrew

perfmon /rel

See what the failure reports say, under each "dot".

*******

Windows has a memory tester available. "Windows Memory Diagnostic"
You may have to use the application launcher and type that into the search.

The scary part is, it actually works. I wasn't expecting miracles
when I tried it, but it actually found something. Using memtest, I
was not able to determine which stick was bad. In memtest, only
the four-stick case was throwing errors. But "Windows Memory Diagnostic"
was the first thing to report an error, and it took more work to
finally determine all four sticks would get turfed. (If it won't
throw an error when each one of the four sticks are installed
individually, there's not much you can do.)

This was on a board, where it looked like the Intel Northbridge (X48)
was bugged, and it needed a slight bit more Vnb to work properly.
And it's not like I was overclocking or anything, either. Fairly
modest setup and settings.

Paul

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<5a5a702bf0charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82426&group=uk.d-i-y#82426

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:32:53 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:32 UTC

In article <tnvlju$7av$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
> happens.

> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.

> Andrew

I have FF on Win10. No problems.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<57e7b2ca-10a6-4969-a560-ca77e111f832n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82427&group=uk.d-i-y#82427

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 12:49:37 -0800 (PST)
From: jzarrab...@gmail.com (jaouad zarrabi)
 by: jaouad zarrabi - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:49 UTC

El miércoles, 21 de diciembre de 2022 a las 21:45:11 UTC+1, charles escribió:
> In article <tnvlju$7av$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Andrew <Andrew9...@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
> > This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
> > Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
> > happens.
>
> > Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.
>
> > Andrew
> I have FF on Win10. No problems.
>
> --
> from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té
> "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle
The Most Reliable Crypto Trading Platform
Your Exclusive Reward of $4,163

Register through this page to win exclusive referral rewards up to $4,163. Don't miss out!

Enjoy Up To $3,000

Invite your friends to join and win up to $3,000.

The Most Reliable Crypto Trading Platform

Bitget has prepared a $200 million insurance reserve for our users, providing a safer and more reliable trading environment.

Start your crypto journey now, and achieve both gains & freedom.

https://www.bitget.com/en/referral/register?from=referral&clacCode=8NS5TRQL

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<to1b2h$1bi8e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82451&group=uk.d-i-y#82451

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:21:05 +0000
 by: wasbit - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:21 UTC

On 21/12/2022 19:08, Andrew wrote:
> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
> happens.
>
> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.

I've had problems for a couple of weeks with Pale Moon stalling. May be
related as Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox/Mozilla.
Seems to have cleared now.
There was an update recently - version 31.4.2 (64bit)

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<to1b7s$1bibv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82452&group=uk.d-i-y#82452

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (R D S)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:23:56 +0000
 by: R D S - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:23 UTC

On 21/12/2022 19:08, Andrew wrote:
> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.

I have had semi regular bouts of this with Ubuntu, often thought of
giving up on it. It always sorts itself eventually.

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<to1gtn$1c54r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82466&group=uk.d-i-y#82466

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:00:51 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:00 UTC

Is it always at a certain point? I had this with an allied bit of software,
Waterfox classic.08, downgrading to 07 again fixed it. If you feel the
problem may well be due to an update, you can disable auto updating and over
install the previous version.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Andrew" <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote in message
> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
> happens.
>
> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.
>
> Andrew

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<to1h5b$1c5j3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82467&group=uk.d-i-y#82467

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:04:54 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:04 UTC

They are getting ready for another annoying major change I expect. I'm told
Screenreaders after this have to only access the content via Mozilla links
and no linking into the software via special points will be allowed for
security. Fine as long as the vendors get the interface correct and we don't
need access to something they forgot about of course.
This same issue affects Firefox Add ons too, so goodness knows what cock
ups will ensue. People are suggesting I get the Brave browser, but why
should we?
Brian

--

--:
"Chris Hogg" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 19:08:46 +0000, Andrew
> <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
>>Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
>>happens.
>>
>>Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.
>>
>>Andrew
>
> Using FF 108.0.1 which is the latest version I believe. Not had any
> problems either now or in the recent past. What bugs me about FF is
> the avalanche of upgrades that have been coming through in recent
> months. Barely finished installing one and another comes along!
>
> --
>
> Chris

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<to1h8q$1c65r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82468&group=uk.d-i-y#82468

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:06:45 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:06 UTC

No they do not keep you save if they muck up the reliability and I've used
some really old Firefox versions with the only issue that the web site stops
me accessing it with an old browser. I feel paranoia at work.
Brian

--

--:
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> Chris Hogg wrote:
>
>> What bugs me about FF is
>> the avalanche of upgrades that have been coming through in recent
>> months. Barely finished installing one and another comes along!
>
> They take seconds to install, and they keep you safe, so why hate them?

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<k0l9v7Fgk4aU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82520&group=uk.d-i-y#82520

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:16:23 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:16 UTC

On 21/12/2022 19:55, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris Hogg wrote:
>
>> What bugs me about FF is
>> the avalanche of upgrades that have been coming through in recent
>> months. Barely finished installing one and another comes along!
>
> They take seconds to install, and they keep you safe, so why hate them?

Because for every fix something breaks. I now have a few sites which
recently firefox no longer likes but Edge (spit) has no problems with!

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<to4mnr$19bl$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82542&group=uk.d-i-y#82542

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 16:58:35 +0000
 by: Andrew - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 16:58 UTC

On 21/12/2022 19:54, Andy Burns wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
>> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
>> happens.
>>
>> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.
>
> Thankfully no, running FF 108.0.1 64bit on Win11 22H2

That was shown as the current version when I upgraded but
it only installed up to 107.0.1

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<k0m5qgFkuj7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82543&group=uk.d-i-y#82543

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Dec 2022 17:11:44 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:11 UTC

On 21 Dec 2022 at 19:08:46 GMT, "Andrew" <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com>
wrote:

> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
> happens.
>
> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.

No, I'm not running Firefox and I'm not running what I'm not running on
Windows, and so I am having no 'issues'.

--
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<5a5b661e69charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82544&group=uk.d-i-y#82544

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:19:17 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:19 UTC

In article <k0m5qgFkuj7U1@mid.individual.net>,
Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2022 at 19:08:46 GMT, "Andrew" <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com>
> wrote:

> > This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
> > Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
> > happens.
> >
> > Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.

> No, I'm not running Firefox and I'm not running what I'm not running on
> Windows, and so I am having no 'issues'.

How helpful :-(

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<20221223173132.3926ce3f@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82545&group=uk.d-i-y#82545

From: joe...@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:31:32 +0000
 by: Joe - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:31 UTC

On Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:16:23 +0000
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21/12/2022 19:55, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Chris Hogg wrote:
> >
> >> What bugs me about FF is
> >> the avalanche of upgrades that have been coming through in recent
> >> months. Barely finished installing one and another comes along!
> >
> > They take seconds to install, and they keep you safe, so why hate
> > them?
>
> Because for every fix something breaks. I now have a few sites which
> recently firefox no longer likes but Edge (spit) has no problems with!

Quite a few web 'designers' are apparently unaware that there are such
things as standards. If the site and the browser both comply with them,
there are few problems. If web pages are tested with only one browser,
then problems with others must be expected.

Web designers now are mostly working beyond their level of competence,
and expecting their favourite web design program to fill in the gap.

--
Joe

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<yGtXxIqQ6epjFwZh@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82553&group=uk.d-i-y#82553

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 18:08:16 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 18:08 UTC

In message <k0m5qgFkuj7U1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
<timstreater@greenbee.net> writes
>On 21 Dec 2022 at 19:08:46 GMT, "Andrew" <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com>
>wrote:
>
>> This started a few weeks ago for no obvious reason.
>> Eventually I upgraded to 107.0.1 (Win 10/32 bit) and it still
>> happens.
>>
>> Is anyone else using firefox with windows and having 'issues' ?.
>
>No, I'm not running Firefox and I'm not running what I'm not running on
>Windows, and so I am having no 'issues'.

No crashes. Lots of revisions recently. Current version 108.0.1 (32 bit)
W7

I could do without the constant (accept/reject cookies) messaging but I
guess that is down to my settings.

We discussed the failure to print some attachments elsewhere.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<to4s3h$1puiu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82558&group=uk.d-i-y#82558

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 18:30:09 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 18:30 UTC

On 23/12/2022 17:31, Joe wrote:
> Quite a few web 'designers' are apparently unaware that there are such
> things as standards. If the site and the browser both comply with them,
> there are few problems. If web pages are tested with only one browser,
> then problems with others must be expected.

Indeed. I spent ages writing a program to run with Firefox. It
spectacularly fails on Edge.
The problem is the stuff you need to do really interactive javaScript or
advanced CSS is simply not standardised or if it is, it breaks in
different ways

> Web designers now are mostly working beyond their level of competence,
> and expecting their favourite web design program to fill in the gap.

Never a truer word spoken. They are not programmers, they are
'creatives' (=ArtStudents™)

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<k0me3iFm70cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82560&group=uk.d-i-y#82560

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 19:33:06 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 19:33 UTC

Tim Lamb wrote:

> I could do without the constant (accept/reject cookies) messaging

<https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu>

That add-on has recently been purchased by Avast, but so far I've not noticed
any changes

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<k0mkqiFn1keU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82569&group=uk.d-i-y#82569

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:27:46 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:27 UTC

On 23/12/2022 17:31, Joe wrote:

> Quite a few web 'designers' are apparently unaware that there are such
> things as standards.

But if a page/site has been working for over a year in Firefox and other
browsers and stops working at exactly at the same time (within a few
minutes) as a Firefox upgrade who is not following standards?

After many years of using Firefox I'm now seriously considering dropping
it - too many untested upgrades!

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<k0mp6hFnr2vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82572&group=uk.d-i-y#82572

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Dec 2022 22:42:25 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 22:42 UTC

On 23 Dec 2022 at 18:30:09 GMT, "The Natural Philosopher"
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 23/12/2022 17:31, Joe wrote:
>> Quite a few web 'designers' are apparently unaware that there are such
>> things as standards. If the site and the browser both comply with them,
>> there are few problems. If web pages are tested with only one browser,
>> then problems with others must be expected.
>>
> Indeed. I spent ages writing a program to run with Firefox. It
> spectacularly fails on Edge.
> The problem is the stuff you need to do really interactive javaScript or
> advanced CSS is simply not standardised or if it is, it breaks in
> different ways.

Stick to pure HTML5 and you'll be OK. And throw the jquery shite in the bin.

--
All of science is either physics or stamp-collecting.

Ernest Rutherford

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<WrkOqKs1+ipjFwfl@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82574&group=uk.d-i-y#82574

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 22:46:13 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 22:46 UTC

In message <k0me3iFm70cU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb wrote:
>
>> I could do without the constant (accept/reject cookies) messaging
>
><https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu>
>
>That add-on has recently been purchased by Avast, but so far I've not
>noticed any changes

I'll give it a try Ta!

Avast are still failing to get any money from me:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days

<to5krh$1sujh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82578&group=uk.d-i-y#82578

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 01:32:33 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 01:32 UTC

On 23/12/2022 21:27, alan_m wrote:
> On 23/12/2022 17:31, Joe wrote:
>>
>> Quite a few web 'designers' are apparently unaware that there are such
>> things as standards.
>
> But if a page/site has been working for over a year in Firefox and other
> browsers and stops working at exactly at the same time (within a few
> minutes) as a Firefox upgrade who is not following standards?

You ask that as a very rhetorical question, but sadly I have done enough
web design to know that there are no standards, there are only browsers
and javaScript implementations, and no two browsers respond the same.

People who have coded workarounds for bugs and inconsistencies, suddenly
find the code no longer works.

Such standards as there are are about a decade behind where browser
development is at.

> After many years of using Firefox I'm now seriously considering dropping
> it  - too many untested upgrades!

Its no better with Chrome etc. Or Safari.

They are all shit.

--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Mary Wollstonecraft

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Firefox started crashing a lot in recent days