As he had feared, his orders had been forgotten and everyone had brought the potato salad.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: SMS update.

SubjectAuthor
* SMS update.Dave Plowman (News)
`* Re: SMS update.alan_m
 +* Re: SMS update.alan_m
 |+* Re: SMS update.Andy Burns
 ||`* Re: SMS update.alan_m
 || +- Re: SMS update.Andy Burns
 || `* Re: SMS update.The Natural Philosopher
 ||  `* Re: SMS update.Andy Burns
 ||   `- Re: SMS update.The Natural Philosopher
 |`- Re: SMS update.Dave Plowman (News)
 +* Re: SMS update.Dave Plowman (News)
 |`- Re: SMS update.SteveW
 +* Re: SMS update.Andy Burns
 |+- Re: SMS update.alan_m
 |`- Re: SMS update.Dave Plowman (News)
 `- Re: SMS update.alan_m

1
SMS update.

<5a53a5a639dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80692&group=uk.d-i-y#80692

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: SMS update.
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 16:03:35 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 16:03 UTC

After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD for my
smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter details)
a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different design - and with an
alkaline backup battery rather than rechargeable. Which I doubt would last
long driving the display.

And it shows the wrong time. But does appear to be getting readings from
both the meters. And displaying them - at totally the wrong costs, of
course. There is a 'connect to network' in the menu, but it fails to do so.

Wonder if the SMS contract was issued by the same people that did the PPE
ones during covid?

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: SMS update.

<jvepbbFhm32U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80707&group=uk.d-i-y#80707

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: SMS update.
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:39:39 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:39 UTC

> After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD for my
> smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter details)
> a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different design - and with an
> alkaline backup battery rather than rechargeable. Which I doubt would last
> long driving the display.
>
> And it shows the wrong time. But does appear to be getting readings from
> both the meters. And displaying them - at totally the wrong costs, of
> course. There is a 'connect to network' in the menu, but it fails to do so.
>
> Wonder if the SMS contract was issued by the same people that did the PPE
> ones during covid?

You may have to go on line to find a more comprehensive menu.
The battery is only meant to be a short term backup and the IHD should
be plugged into the mains supply for normal operation.

Now with the batteries in and powered try switching the unit off then
on again by switching off by holding down the on/off button for 30
seconds. This is the repeated advice I got from my supplier.

The wrong costs are likely to be because the meters haven't been updated
with the costs rather than the display holding that information. This is
the problem I had with the April changes of tariff where the gas price
updated OK but it took 6 weeks and multiple emails for the electricity
to be sorted. Subsequently both meters updated quickly with the October
tariff changes.

I don't fully understand the details or system at the suppliers end (or
the 3rd party relaying the information) but from a fairly detailed email
from a helpfully member of my supplier's support staff there appears to
be two systems supporting the update of meters and my electricity meter
only got the correct tariff information when I was swapped over, after a
the support staff had first requested a few updates via the other
system. Even when I had the wrong tariff being reported the meter was
still supplying readings at a 30 minute resolution to my supplier.

Is this network button for connection to a router? If so you may have to
press a WPS or connection button on the router to make it discoverable
for a minute or two just before using the connect to network option on
the IHD.

Re: SMS update.

<jveppdFhm32U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80709&group=uk.d-i-y#80709

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:47:09 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:47 UTC

On 08/12/2022 18:39, alan_m wrote:

> Is this network button for connection to a router? If so you may have to
> press a WPS or connection button on the router to make it discoverable
> for a minute or two just before using the connect to network option on
> the IHD.

In my case for new wi-fi items...
I have the wi-fi filter on my router set to only accept the MAC
addresses of my equipment and new or spurious equipment with a different
MAC address is denied access. I first have to turn off this filter
before connecting new equipment via the WPS method and then switching
the wi-fi filter back on after the new equipment has been detected and
the MAC automatically added to the filter list.

Re: SMS update.

<jveqlvFi7j2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80712&group=uk.d-i-y#80712

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:02:23 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:02 UTC

alan_m wrote:

> the wi-fi filter on my router set to only accept the MAC addresses of my
> equipment and new or spurious equipment with a different MAC address is denied
> access.

Who do you think this protects you from? It's trivial for a device to send a
fake MAC address, in fact most phones randomly change their MAC address every
few minutes (to stop them being tracked by "free" instore wifi).

Re: SMS update.

<jveshjFie4eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80714&group=uk.d-i-y#80714

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:34:11 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:34 UTC

On 08/12/2022 19:02, Andy Burns wrote:
> alan_m wrote:
>
>> the wi-fi filter on my router set to only accept the MAC addresses of
>> my equipment and new or spurious equipment with a different MAC
>> address is denied access.
>
> Who do you think this protects you from? It's trivial for a device to
> send a fake MAC address, in fact most phones randomly change their MAC
> address every few minutes (to stop them being tracked by "free" instore
> wifi)

Strange how my phone always connects to my Wi-fi then, presumably
because the filter is accepting all the random MAC addresses the phone
is generating?

Re: SMS update.

<jvet62FijokU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80718&group=uk.d-i-y#80718

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:45:06 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:45 UTC

alan_m wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> most phones randomly change their MAC address every
>> few minutes (to stop them being tracked by "free" instore wifi)
>
> Strange how my phone always connects to my Wi-fi then, presumably because the
> filter is accepting all the random MAC addresses the phone is generating?

Depends how old your phone is (android 10 or newer, iThingOS 14 or newer) and
whether you've disabled MAC address randomization for your SSID?

Re: SMS update.

<tmvc6r$15cgv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80772&group=uk.d-i-y#80772

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 13:11:54 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 13:11 UTC

On 08/12/2022 19:34, alan_m wrote:
> On 08/12/2022 19:02, Andy Burns wrote:
>> alan_m wrote:
>>
>>> the wi-fi filter on my router set to only accept the MAC addresses of
>>> my equipment and new or spurious equipment with a different MAC
>>> address is denied access.
>>
>> Who do you think this protects you from? It's trivial for a device to
>> send a fake MAC address, in fact most phones randomly change their MAC
>> address every few minutes (to stop them being tracked by "free"
>> instore wifi)
>
> Strange how my phone always connects to my Wi-fi then, presumably
> because the filter is accepting all the random MAC addresses the phone
> is generating?

My android phone has an unalterable MAC address it uses in connecting to
wifi targets.

Re: SMS update.

<jvh0fsFsasbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80785&group=uk.d-i-y#80785

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 14:53:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 14:53 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> My android phone has an unalterable MAC address it uses in connecting to wifi
> targets.

What makes you belive that?

Re: SMS update.

<tmvkft$16jqg$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80793&group=uk.d-i-y#80793

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 15:33:17 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 15:33 UTC

On 09/12/2022 14:53, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> My android phone has an unalterable MAC address it uses in connecting
>> to wifi targets.
>
> What makes you belive that?

The fact that its greyed out .

And that it never alters in my DHCP table

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Re: SMS update.

<5a54aae86bdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80932&group=uk.d-i-y#80932

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 15:37:15 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 15:37 UTC

In article <jvepbbFhm32U1@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/12/2022 16:03, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD for
> > my smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter
> > details) a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different design -
> > and with an alkaline backup battery rather than rechargeable. Which I
> > doubt would last long driving the display.
> >
> > And it shows the wrong time. But does appear to be getting readings
> > from both the meters. And displaying them - at totally the wrong
> > costs, of course. There is a 'connect to network' in the menu, but it
> > fails to do so.
> >
> > Wonder if the SMS contract was issued by the same people that did the
> > PPE ones during covid?
> >

> You may have to go on line to find a more comprehensive menu. The
> battery is only meant to be a short term backup and the IHD should be
> plugged into the mains supply for normal operation.

> Now with the batteries in and powered try switching the unit off then
> on again by switching off by holding down the on/off button for 30
> seconds. This is the repeated advice I got from my supplier.

That's the advice they give everyone. Except this one doesn't have an
on/off button, unlike the old one. But of course I've tried all the ways
to do a reset.

> The wrong costs are likely to be because the meters haven't been updated
> with the costs rather than the display holding that information. This is
> the problem I had with the April changes of tariff where the gas price
> updated OK but it took 6 weeks and multiple emails for the electricity
> to be sorted. Subsequently both meters updated quickly with the October
> tariff changes.

> I don't fully understand the details or system at the suppliers end (or
> the 3rd party relaying the information) but from a fairly detailed email
> from a helpfully member of my supplier's support staff there appears to
> be two systems supporting the update of meters and my electricity meter
> only got the correct tariff information when I was swapped over, after a
> the support staff had first requested a few updates via the other
> system. Even when I had the wrong tariff being reported the meter was
> still supplying readings at a 30 minute resolution to my supplier.

> Is this network button for connection to a router? If so you may have to
> press a WPS or connection button on the router to make it discoverable
> for a minute or two just before using the connect to network option on
> the IHD.

There is a connect to network setting in the menu. Tries, then give up.
Many many times. And resets the clock to 1200. The old one found the
correct time itself.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: SMS update.

<5a54aaffffdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80933&group=uk.d-i-y#80933

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 15:38:14 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 15:38 UTC

In article <jveppdFhm32U2@mid.individual.net>,
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/12/2022 18:39, alan_m wrote:

> > Is this network button for connection to a router? If so you may have to
> > press a WPS or connection button on the router to make it discoverable
> > for a minute or two just before using the connect to network option on
> > the IHD.

> In my case for new wi-fi items...
> I have the wi-fi filter on my router set to only accept the MAC
> addresses of my equipment and new or spurious equipment with a different
> MAC address is denied access. I first have to turn off this filter
> before connecting new equipment via the WPS method and then switching
> the wi-fi filter back on after the new equipment has been detected and
> the MAC automatically added to the filter list.

The old one had a connect to Wi-Fi which I did. Not sure if it made any
difference. New one doesn't.

--
*A cartoonist was found dead in his home. Details are sketchy.*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: SMS update.

<jvjph8Fas6sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80935&group=uk.d-i-y#80935

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:13:27 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:13 UTC

alan_m wrote:

> Dave Plowman wrote:
>
>> After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD for my
>> smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter details)
>> a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different design - and with an
>> alkaline backup battery rather than rechargeable. Which I doubt would last
>> long driving the display.
>>
>> And it shows the wrong time. But does appear to be getting readings from
>> both the meters. And displaying them - at totally the wrong costs, of
>> course. There is a 'connect to network' in the menu, but it fails to do so.
>
> Is this network button for connection to a router? If so you may have to press a
> WPS or connection button on the router to make it discoverable for a minute or
> two just before using the connect to network option on the IHD.

I've never heard of a smart meter or IHD connecting to wifi.

Re: SMS update.

<tn2b89$1mc81$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80936&group=uk.d-i-y#80936

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:14:00 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:14 UTC

> In article <jvepbbFhm32U1@mid.individual.net>,
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 08/12/2022 16:03, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>> After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD for
>>> my smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter
>>> details) a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different design -
>>> and with an alkaline backup battery rather than rechargeable. Which I
>>> doubt would last long driving the display.
>>>
>>> And it shows the wrong time. But does appear to be getting readings
>>> from both the meters. And displaying them - at totally the wrong
>>> costs, of course. There is a 'connect to network' in the menu, but it
>>> fails to do so.
>>>
>>> Wonder if the SMS contract was issued by the same people that did the
>>> PPE ones during covid?
>>>

>> You may have to go on line to find a more comprehensive menu. The
>> battery is only meant to be a short term backup and the IHD should be
>> plugged into the mains supply for normal operation.
>
>> Now with the batteries in and powered try switching the unit off then
>> on again by switching off by holding down the on/off button for 30
>> seconds. This is the repeated advice I got from my supplier.
>
> That's the advice they give everyone. Except this one doesn't have an
> on/off button, unlike the old one. But of course I've tried all the ways
> to do a reset.

Mine has no actual on/off button, but pressing and holding the OK button
causes it to ask whether to restart it.

Re: SMS update.

<jvk2r9Fc5d9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80951&group=uk.d-i-y#80951

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 18:52:25 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 18:52 UTC

On 10/12/2022 16:13, Andy Burns wrote:
> alan_m wrote:
>
>> Dave Plowman wrote:
>>
>>> After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD
>>> for my
>>> smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter
>>> details)
>>> a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different design - and with an
>>> alkaline backup battery rather than rechargeable. Which I doubt would
>>> last
>>> long driving the display.
>>>
>>> And it shows the wrong time. But does appear to be getting readings from
>>> both the meters. And displaying them - at totally the wrong costs, of
>>> course. There is a 'connect to network' in the menu, but it fails to
>>> do so.
>>
>> Is this network button for connection to a router? If so you may have
>> to press a WPS or connection button on the router to make it
>> discoverable for a minute or two just before using the connect to
>> network option on the IHD.
>
> I've never heard of a smart meter or IHD connecting to wifi.

IHD Version 7 instructions

Connecting your In-Home Display to your Wi-Fi Network
If your energy supplier has provided you with a CAD, or cloud-enabled
Smart In-Home Display, you can
connect the IHD to your Wi-Fi network. This will enable your energy
supplier to securely deliver remote
updates to the IHD and monitor how it is functioning. Depending on your
energy supplier, you may also
be able to view your energy data via an online portal or mobile
application, which will help you to better
understand your energy usage.
To connect your Smart In-Home Display to your Wi-Fi, press MENU, then
use the arrows to scroll
through to SETTINGS and press Wi-Fi.
Turn your Wi-Fi option on using the ON/OFF button on your In-Home
Display and choose a method with
which to connect to the Wi-Fi.
You can connect to the Wi-Fi through four different ways: Scan for
networks, WPS Push Button, WPS
PIN number, or Enter Network Name.
Select the method you would like to use to connect to your Wi-Fi network
by tapping your choice and
following the instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBWKI18m_Vc
alternative IHD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEW90-Sqoo

Re: SMS update.

<jvlr9bFkagqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81015&group=uk.d-i-y#81015

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 10:55:40 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 10:55 UTC

On 08/12/2022 18:39, alan_m wrote:
> On 08/12/2022 16:03, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD for my
>> smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter
>> details)
>> a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different design - and with an
>> alkaline backup battery rather than rechargeable. Which I doubt would
>> last
>> long driving the display.
>>
>> And it shows the wrong time. But does appear to be getting readings from
>> both the meters. And displaying them - at totally the wrong costs, of
>> course. There is a 'connect to network' in the menu, but it fails to
>> do so.
>>
>> Wonder if the SMS contract was issued by the same people that did the PPE
>> ones during covid?
>>

> You may have to go on line to find a more comprehensive menu.
> The battery is only meant to be a short term backup and the IHD should
> be plugged into the mains supply for normal operation.
>
> Now with the batteries in and powered try switching the unit off then on
> again by switching off by holding down the on/off button for 30 seconds.
> This is the repeated advice I got from my supplier.
>
> The wrong costs are likely to be because the meters haven't been updated
> with the costs rather than the display holding that information. This is
> the problem I had with the April changes of tariff where the gas price
> updated OK but it took 6 weeks and multiple emails for the electricity
> to be sorted. Subsequently both meters updated quickly with the October
> tariff changes.
>
> I don't fully understand the details or system at the suppliers end (or
> the 3rd party relaying the information) but from a fairly detailed email
> from a helpfully member of my supplier's support staff there appears to
> be two systems supporting the update of meters and my electricity meter
> only got the correct tariff information when I was swapped over, after a
> the support staff had first requested a few updates via the other
> system.  Even when I had the wrong tariff being reported the meter was
> still supplying readings at a 30 minute resolution to my supplier.
>
> Is this network button for connection to a router? If so you may have to
> press a WPS or connection button on the router to make it discoverable
> for a minute or two just before using the connect to network option on
> the IHD.

I've just had cheap smart plug fail to detect my network.

Solution:
The plug only works over Wi-fi @ 2.4GHz but my router operates on both
2.4 and 5GHz bands sharing the same SSID.

I had to go into the setup for my router and turn off the 5GHz channel.
The smart plug then had no problems detecting and connecting to the router.

I then went back into the router settings and re-enabled the 5GHz
channel. The smart plug still works.

Re: SMS update.

<5a5ad96c40dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82487&group=uk.d-i-y#82487

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 15:42:31 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 15:42 UTC

In article <jvjph8Fas6sU1@mid.individual.net>,
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> alan_m wrote:

> > Dave Plowman wrote:
> >
> >> After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD
> >> for my smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas
> >> meter details) a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different
> >> design - and with an alkaline backup battery rather than
> >> rechargeable. Which I doubt would last long driving the display.
> >>
> >> And it shows the wrong time. But does appear to be getting readings
> >> from both the meters. And displaying them - at totally the wrong
> >> costs, of course. There is a 'connect to network' in the menu, but it
> >> fails to do so.
> >
> > Is this network button for connection to a router? If so you may have
> > to press a WPS or connection button on the router to make it
> > discoverable for a minute or two just before using the connect to
> > network option on the IHD.

> I've never heard of a smart meter or IHD connecting to wifi.

My original IHD did. And had to enter the Wi-Fi pass code. But appeared to
do nothing at all.

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*