From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Gnome-Tweaks
Date: 18 Nov 2022 15:23:49 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:23 UTC

Started a new thread as I am now up and running with Ubuntu MATE dual
booting with Windows 8.1 on my Dell 6800 laptop! Installation was a doddle
and all the keys like light, volume and the wireless mouse just worked
which shows how good the programmers are nowadays.

Evolution EWS set up and working along with Brave, KeePass, Libre Office
and other odds and bits, have been on the machine all day without
reverting to Windows :-)

I am left handed and am struggling to get Ubuntu to recognise some left
handed pointers I downloaded (they are left handed versions of Obsidian
pointers). I have installed gnome-tweaks but it really isn't happy - and I
have to start it form a terminal but get the following:

WARNING : Error getting shell mode
CRITICAL: Error getting shell version
WARNING : Could not list shell extensions

I have been Googling the errors but so far without success - gnome-tweaks
does run but seems unable to change anything.

I'll keep looking but wondered if anybody had come across this and had
some suggestions?

Many thanks :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.

Re: Gnome-Tweaks

<xn0npihraco9pyd00y@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=826&group=uk.comp.os.linux#826

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Gnome-Tweaks
Date: 18 Nov 2022 19:59:14 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 19:59 UTC

On 18/11/2022 in message <xn0npiak8cefjjm00x@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>I have been Googling the errors but so far without success - gnome-tweaks
>does run but seems unable to change anything.

It works fine on the plain Ubuntu installation so it looks like it won't
work with the MATE desktop sadly.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Re: Gnome-Tweaks

<jtrod3FneeuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=827&group=uk.comp.os.linux#827

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 19 Nov 2022 10:10:43 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 10:10 UTC

On 18 Nov 2022 19:59:14 GMT, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> On 18/11/2022 in message <xn0npiak8cefjjm00x@news.individual.net> Jeff
> Gaines wrote:
>
>>I have been Googling the errors but so far without success -
>>gnome-tweaks does run but seems unable to change anything.
>
> It works fine on the plain Ubuntu installation so it looks like it won't
> work with the MATE desktop sadly.

Success :-)
I joined the MATE forum and they pointed me to "Appearance" in "Control
Center" and with some judicious Googling I now have a mouse pointer that
suits a "lefty", i.e. it points from left to right.
I have also installed Pan for news which will help stop me dropping back
to Windows.
I am astonished at how many things "just work", Linux has really come on
since I installed Slackware from an enormous pile of floppies in the early
nineties!

--
Jeff Gaines