Your education begins where what is called your education is over.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Moral dilemma.

SubjectAuthor
* Moral dilemma.The Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Moral dilemma.Andy Burns
+- Re: Moral dilemma.Fredxx
+* Re: Moral dilemma.Robin
|`* Re: Moral dilemma.The Natural Philosopher
| +* Re: Moral dilemma.Andy Burns
| |`* Re: Moral dilemma.Robin
| | `- Re: Moral dilemma.Spike
| `- Re: Moral dilemma.Robin
+- Re: Moral dilemma.Rod Speed
+* Re: Moral dilemma.Colin Bignell
|+* Re: Moral dilemma.The Natural Philosopher
||+* Re: Moral dilemma.Tim Lamb
|||`* Re: Moral dilemma.The Natural Philosopher
||| `* Re: Moral dilemma.Tim Lamb
|||  `- Re: Moral dilemma.Tim Lamb
||`- Re: Moral dilemma.Vir Campestris
|`* Re: Moral dilemma.Andrew
| `* Re: Moral dilemma.Colin Bignell
|  `* Re: Moral dilemma.Rod Speed
|   `- Re: Moral dilemma.Colin Bignell
+* Re: Moral dilemma.Harry Bloomfield Esq
|+* Re: Moral dilemma.soup
||`- Re: Moral dilemma.Fredxx
|+* Re: Moral dilemma.The Natural Philosopher
||`* Re: Moral dilemma.Rob Morley
|| `- Re: Moral dilemma.alan_m
|`- Re: Moral dilemma.alan_m
+* Re: Moral dilemma.Ottavio Caruso
|+- Re: Moral dilemma.Tim Streater
|`- Re: Moral dilemma.The Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Moral dilemma.Andrew Gabriel
|`* Re: Moral dilemma.The Natural Philosopher
| `- Re: Moral dilemma.Brian Gaff
+- Re: Moral dilemma.Brian Gaff
`* Re: Moral dilemma.Peter Johnson
 `- Re: Moral dilemma.The Natural Philosopher

Pages:12
Re: Moral dilemma.

<tns9c3$lvr7$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82263&group=uk.d-i-y#82263

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Moral dilemma.
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 12:21:23 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 12:21 UTC

> I guess at Xmas time all the couriers are employing full retards

Right now they'll be employing anyone they can get. There's a labour
shortage.

I do wonder why there are still beggars in town though. I guess it's
easier than working.

Andy

Re: Moral dilemma.

<B9XrfyV$3aojFw1v@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82269&group=uk.d-i-y#82269

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 12:43:43 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 12:43 UTC

In message <tns21e$lhrf$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 20/12/2022 09:31, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> Chances are it is upside down on a shelf as *this way up* means
>>nothing anymore.
>
>Hah! Military specification testing used to include being dropped 1.2m
>on any corner of the packing or often the equipment itself. That's the
>height of a UK army tailboard...

Indeed. The one delivered for the car had about 2" of recycled cardboard
all round.
Upside down in our porch but no fluid leak.

DHL must be monitoring this group as it is now promised between 5 and
6.00 this evening!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Moral dilemma.

<tnsbqg$mbg2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82271&group=uk.d-i-y#82271

From: and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 13:03:12 +0000
 by: Andrew Gabriel - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 13:03 UTC

I sent my flue gas analyser off for recalibration, so I didn't know
exactly when it would come back. A couple of weeks later, I was in the
back garden and saw an old cardboard box had blown in. Went to get it to
chuck it out, and found it had my flue gas analyser in it. The cardboard
had disintegrated in the rain. They had put the analyser back in the
ziplock back I'd sent it in, but not zipped it closed. However, it
looked like no rain had got inside. I suspect it must have been there a
week for the box to have disintegrated as far as it had. Not a cheap bit
of kit by any means.

It completely died a couple of days later. I don't think that was due to
being outside, but the manufacturer swapped it in any case as the
service/recalibration was guaranteed for a year.

Andrew

Re: Moral dilemma.

<tnsi94$n3rp$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82282&group=uk.d-i-y#82282

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:53:24 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:53 UTC

On 20/12/2022 13:03, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> I sent my flue gas analyser off for recalibration, so I didn't know
> exactly when it would come back. A couple of weeks later, I was in the
> back garden and saw an old cardboard box had blown in. Went to get it to
> chuck it out, and found it had my flue gas analyser in it. The cardboard
> had disintegrated in the rain. They had put the analyser back in the
> ziplock back I'd sent it in, but not zipped it closed. However, it
> looked like no rain had got inside. I suspect it must have been there a
> week for the box to have disintegrated as far as it had. Not a cheap bit
> of kit by any means.

That's what happened to me exactly. I found some cardboard blowing about
and the items I had had resent, were inside. One was undamaged. The book
was ruined.

Its unacceptable. I guess its 6 spliffs high and 'lets play frisbee'

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Re: Moral dilemma.

<20221220151109.68febfc8@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82286&group=uk.d-i-y#82286

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:11:09 +0000
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:11 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:13:39 +0000
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Once with another courier they showed a photo of a package, but not
> at my house!

Evri did that with one of mine, turns out the porch in question was down
the street on the other side, and it showed as delivered despite the
resident of the incorrect address having chased the driver and given it
back to him, at which point it disappeared into limbo.
I have one with DPD at the moment that was notified delivered an hour
in the future and signed for by me - that must have been an alternate
timeline because it didn't come to pass in this reality. Since then
it's been supposedly bouncing around various depots and on its way to
me for the past couple of weeks. I just can't be arsed to use their
non-existent customer service until after the holidays when hopefully
everything will have settled down a bit.

Re: Moral dilemma.

<tnskpq$nho4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82289&group=uk.d-i-y#82289

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:36:24 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:36 UTC

I agree I had a similar issue with a milk delivery company, and being blind,
which they already knew as it was in delivery notes on my account page, but
they hid them behind a hedge to be found three days later. They happily
refunded and redelivered the milk as there was no picture from their
milkman, rather supporting my point that they had simply reached around a
hedge and shove them down.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> The narrative.
> 1. I ordered a small item from Amazon.
> 2. It was scheduled to be delivered next day
> 3. I was in all day. No one called.
> 4. I received an email saying it had been delivered.
> 5. I checked in the post box. It wasn't there
> 6. I checked in my 'safe place' It wasn't there either.
> 7. No footprints or tyre tracks were on the snow on my driveway.
> 8. Amazon chat said the parcel was 'handed to resident' and to wait and
> see if it turned up or I discovered it. Neither happened.
> 9. I got onto web chat again 2 days later, and money was refunded.
> 10. By pure chance a friend was going to a reclaim yard and stopped by to
> see if I would like to go.
> 11. As we left the drive I glanced out of the window, and there to the
> left of the drive, by the entrance, was a sodden package tossed into the
> snow in the front garden. If I hadn't been in the passenger seat I would
> never have seen it.
>
> I reckon Amazon owe me that refund, not for not delivering the goods at
> all, but for not delivering them properly.
>
> If I hadn't happened to glance that way, in a car passenger seat that
> package would have been there till spring.
>
> Whaddya say?
>

> --
> Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
> Mark Twain

Re: Moral dilemma.

<tnskvr$ni3i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82290&group=uk.d-i-y#82290

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:39:37 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:39 UTC

Unfortunately you cannot really protect yourself against a complete idiot
who is on deliveries. All you can do is report what you find and ask the
company for some compensation, and then let them take the carrier to the
cleaners on your behalf.
Brian

--

--:
> On 20/12/2022 13:03, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>> I sent my flue gas analyser off for recalibration, so I didn't know
>> exactly when it would come back. A couple of weeks later, I was in the
>> back garden and saw an old cardboard box had blown in. Went to get it to
>> chuck it out, and found it had my flue gas analyser in it. The cardboard
>> had disintegrated in the rain. They had put the analyser back in the
>> ziplock back I'd sent it in, but not zipped it closed. However, it looked
>> like no rain had got inside. I suspect it must have been there a week for
>> the box to have disintegrated as far as it had. Not a cheap bit of kit by
>> any means.
>>
> That's what happened to me exactly. I found some cardboard blowing about
> and the items I had had resent, were inside. One was undamaged. The book
> was ruined.
>
> Its unacceptable. I guess its 6 spliffs high and 'lets play frisbee'
>
> --
> Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as foolish,
> and by the rulers as useful.
>
> (Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Re: Moral dilemma.

<J5Zp+9WHMeojFwUZ@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82299&group=uk.d-i-y#82299

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:29:59 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 16:29 UTC

In message <B9XrfyV$3aojFw1v@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>In message <tns21e$lhrf$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
><tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>On 20/12/2022 09:31, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Chances are it is upside down on a shelf as *this way up* means
>>>nothing anymore.
>>
>>Hah! Military specification testing used to include being dropped 1.2m
>>on any corner of the packing or often the equipment itself. That's the
>>height of a UK army tailboard...
>
>Indeed. The one delivered for the car had about 2" of recycled
>cardboard all round.
>Upside down in our porch but no fluid leak.
>
>DHL must be monitoring this group as it is now promised between 5 and
>6.00 this evening!

Scrub that. Unable to deliver today and wait to be notified...

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Moral dilemma.

<b226qh913q7ushql2euoa1b6urbdh0f35p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82377&group=uk.d-i-y#82377

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:24:34 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:24 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 17:13:46 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>The narrative.
>1. I ordered a small item from Amazon.
>2. It was scheduled to be delivered next day
>3. I was in all day. No one called.
>4. I received an email saying it had been delivered.
>5. I checked in the post box. It wasn't there
>6. I checked in my 'safe place' It wasn't there either.
>7. No footprints or tyre tracks were on the snow on my driveway.
>8. Amazon chat said the parcel was 'handed to resident' and to wait and
>see if it turned up or I discovered it. Neither happened.
>9. I got onto web chat again 2 days later, and money was refunded.
>10. By pure chance a friend was going to a reclaim yard and stopped by
>to see if I would like to go.
>11. As we left the drive I glanced out of the window, and there to the
>left of the drive, by the entrance, was a sodden package tossed into the
>snow in the front garden. If I hadn't been in the passenger seat I would
>never have seen it.
>
>I reckon Amazon owe me that refund, not for not delivering the goods at
>all, but for not delivering them properly.
>
>If I hadn't happened to glance that way, in a car passenger seat that
>package would have been there till spring.
>
>Whaddya say?

Pre-covid I ordered two copies of the same CD (from Amazon) by
mistake. Logged on to return one of them, was refunded immediately and
told to keep it. My guess is that if you reported the arrival of the
first delivery you'd be told to keep it. It's not worth the effort of
processing low value items.

Re: Moral dilemma.

<tnv551$11ud9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82384&group=uk.d-i-y#82384

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:27:45 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:27 UTC

On 21/12/2022 13:24, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 17:13:46 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The narrative.
>> 1. I ordered a small item from Amazon.
>> 2. It was scheduled to be delivered next day
>> 3. I was in all day. No one called.
>> 4. I received an email saying it had been delivered.
>> 5. I checked in the post box. It wasn't there
>> 6. I checked in my 'safe place' It wasn't there either.
>> 7. No footprints or tyre tracks were on the snow on my driveway.
>> 8. Amazon chat said the parcel was 'handed to resident' and to wait and
>> see if it turned up or I discovered it. Neither happened.
>> 9. I got onto web chat again 2 days later, and money was refunded.
>> 10. By pure chance a friend was going to a reclaim yard and stopped by
>> to see if I would like to go.
>> 11. As we left the drive I glanced out of the window, and there to the
>> left of the drive, by the entrance, was a sodden package tossed into the
>> snow in the front garden. If I hadn't been in the passenger seat I would
>> never have seen it.
>>
>> I reckon Amazon owe me that refund, not for not delivering the goods at
>> all, but for not delivering them properly.
>>
>> If I hadn't happened to glance that way, in a car passenger seat that
>> package would have been there till spring.
>>
>> Whaddya say?
>
> Pre-covid I ordered two copies of the same CD (from Amazon) by
> mistake. Logged on to return one of them, was refunded immediately and
> told to keep it. My guess is that if you reported the arrival of the
> first delivery you'd be told to keep it. It's not worth the effort of
> processing low value items.
Yes.
But I have decided that bad delivery which could easily have been non
delivery of goods in serviceable and 'as new' condition is as much a
tort as non delivery is, so I am legally *and* morally entitled to a refund

--
“People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Re: Moral dilemma.

<k0laskFgk4aU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82521&group=uk.d-i-y#82521

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:32:04 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:32 UTC

On 19/12/2022 20:10, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 19/12/2022 17:13, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> If I hadn't happened to glance that way, in a car passenger seat that
>> package would have been there till spring.
>>
>> Whaddya say?
>
> The only way to fix these bone idle delivery drivers, is to complain,
> which you have done and hurt the company in the pocket. The drivers are
> supposed to take a photo, ask them to send you a copy..

I was at a friend's house yesterday and a item was delivered with
obvious damage to the packing. The driver was asked to take a photo of
the damage rather than the just delivery label - he said OK and then got
in his van and exited at speed without taking the said photo!

The contents of the package were found not to have been damaged due to
the care the seller had taken to supply a lot of padding.

Re: Moral dilemma.

<k0lbacFgk4aU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82523&group=uk.d-i-y#82523

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:39:23 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:39 UTC

On 20/12/2022 15:11, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:13:39 +0000
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Once with another courier they showed a photo of a package, but not
>> at my house!
>>
> Evri did that with one of mine, turns out the porch in question was down
> the street on the other side, and it showed as delivered despite the
> resident of the incorrect address having chased the driver and given it
> back to him, at which point it disappeared into limbo.
> I have one with DPD at the moment that was notified delivered an hour
> in the future and signed for by me - that must have been an alternate
> timeline because it didn't come to pass in this reality. Since then
> it's been supposedly bouncing around various depots and on its way to
> me for the past couple of weeks. I just can't be arsed to use their
> non-existent customer service until after the holidays when hopefully
> everything will have settled down a bit.

The problem with all the carriers seems to be that if the package has
been stolen in transit the tracking will always indicate that it is at
the depot and will be delivered tomorrow with tomorrow being every day
until you manage to contact them or to inform the seller that it hasn't
arrived. With RM the delivered part of tracking will never happen
unless its been stolen by the local deliver person.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Moral dilemma.