When you're ready to give up the struggle, who can you surrender to?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Mounting a TV on the wall

SubjectAuthor
* Mounting a TV on the wallMurmansk
+- Re: Mounting a TV on the wallAndy Burns
+* Re: Mounting a TV on the walljim.gm4dhj
|`* Re: Mounting a TV on the wallBrian Gaff
| +- Re: Mounting a TV on the wallHarry Bloomfield Esq
| `- Re: Mounting a TV on the wallRob Morley
`- Re: Mounting a TV on the wallRob Morley

1
Mounting a TV on the wall

<7f4d464b-4328-4dca-9e65-aec56eff2fa8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82743&group=uk.d-i-y#82743

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 11:22:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Mounting a TV on the wall
From: stainb...@gmail.com (Murmansk)
 by: Murmansk - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 19:22 UTC

I was asked to mount a new Philips 43 inch TV on the wall and the owner presented me with a ridiculously small bracket which, even with the extension pieces provided, wouldn't fit the mounting holes on the TV

I'm used to most TVs having four mounting holes in a square pattern with each side of the square being 20cm

This TV had 4 holes arranged in an oblong pattern with 20cm between the upper and lower holes but only 10cm between the left and right holes.

I happened to have an old bracket with a plate suitable for 20x20 but I couldn't fit it at first as only two of the mounting holes coincided with the holes in my bracket.

In the end I managed to attach it with three bolts by skewing the attachment plate slightly and fixing the third bolt on the outside edge of plate with a big washer to grip the plate.

It seems crazy that a brand new TV should have such a strange arrangement of bolt holes. Good job new TVs are so light!

Re: Mounting a TV on the wall

<k0ucq7FsjijU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82747&group=uk.d-i-y#82747

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Mounting a TV on the wall
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 20:00:02 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 20:00 UTC

Murmansk wrote:

> This TV had 4 holes arranged in an oblong pattern with 20cm between the upper
> and lower holes but only 10cm between the left and right holes.

That's a VESA mounting pattern (sounds like MIS-E?)

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Display_Mounting_Interface>

Re: Mounting a TV on the wall

<tod1ij$3c5e7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82755&group=uk.d-i-y#82755

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 20:52:36 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 20:52 UTC

On 26/12/2022 19:22, Murmansk wrote:
> I was asked to mount a new Philips 43 inch TV on the wall and the owner presented me with a ridiculously small bracket which, even with the extension pieces provided, wouldn't fit the mounting holes on the TV
>
> I'm used to most TVs having four mounting holes in a square pattern with each side of the square being 20cm
>
> This TV had 4 holes arranged in an oblong pattern with 20cm between the upper and lower holes but only 10cm between the left and right holes.
>
> I happened to have an old bracket with a plate suitable for 20x20 but I couldn't fit it at first as only two of the mounting holes coincided with the holes in my bracket.
>
> In the end I managed to attach it with three bolts by skewing the attachment plate slightly and fixing the third bolt on the outside edge of plate with a big washer to grip the plate.
>
> It seems crazy that a brand new TV should have such a strange arrangement of bolt holes. Good job new TVs are so light!
tvs are getting so light thse days you can replace a small tv with a
small bracket with an adaptor to a large tv saves a lot of bother

Re: Mounting a TV on the wall

<20221227034332.13fb44c2@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82772&group=uk.d-i-y#82772

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 03:43:32 +0000
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 03:43 UTC

On Mon, 26 Dec 2022 11:22:51 -0800 (PST)
Murmansk <stainburn@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems crazy that a brand new TV should have such a strange
> arrangement of bolt holes. Good job new TVs are so light!

That's what you get for buying small cheap brackets. Most better
VESA standard brackets can support a range of TVs - they do 100x100
100x200 200x200 200x300 etc. as appropriate for the size and weight of
the TV.

Re: Mounting a TV on the wall

<toehi2$3jmqm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82789&group=uk.d-i-y#82789

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 10:31:28 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 10:31 UTC

The Samsung I bought in 2020, is not that light, and I'd not really want to
mount it on a wall. I guess the lighter they can make them the less they
cost to shift around the globe. You never see those curved ones any more do
you?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"jim.gm4dhj" <kinvig.netta@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On 26/12/2022 19:22, Murmansk wrote:
>> I was asked to mount a new Philips 43 inch TV on the wall and the owner
>> presented me with a ridiculously small bracket which, even with the
>> extension pieces provided, wouldn't fit the mounting holes on the TV
>>
>> I'm used to most TVs having four mounting holes in a square pattern with
>> each side of the square being 20cm
>>
>> This TV had 4 holes arranged in an oblong pattern with 20cm between the
>> upper and lower holes but only 10cm between the left and right holes.
>>
>> I happened to have an old bracket with a plate suitable for 20x20 but I
>> couldn't fit it at first as only two of the mounting holes coincided with
>> the holes in my bracket.
>>
>> In the end I managed to attach it with three bolts by skewing the
>> attachment plate slightly and fixing the third bolt on the outside edge
>> of plate with a big washer to grip the plate.
>>
>> It seems crazy that a brand new TV should have such a strange arrangement
>> of bolt holes. Good job new TVs are so light!
> tvs are getting so light thse days you can replace a small tv with a small
> bracket with an adaptor to a large tv saves a lot of bother

Re: Mounting a TV on the wall

<toenaq$3jk5v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82807&group=uk.d-i-y#82807

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 12:10:01 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 12:10 UTC

On 27/12/2022 10:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I guess the lighter they can make them the less they
> cost to shift around the globe. You never see those curved ones any more do
> you?

Because it was an idea, which nobody wanted/served no useful function,
and simply added to the manufacturing cost.

Re: Mounting a TV on the wall

<20221228000306.2d7e28da@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=82862&group=uk.d-i-y#82862

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 00:03:06 +0000
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 00:03 UTC

On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 10:31:28 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> You never see those curved ones any more do you?

They don't make a lot of sense for TV unless they're huge; they work
better as computer monitors because you sit closer to a monitor, so on
a flat screen the edge is significantly further away from the viewer's
eyes than the centre of the screen.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Mounting a TV on the wall