From: and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Black and Decker Workmate - still with dangerously sharp edges?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 13:28:17 +0000
 by: Andrew Gabriel - Sat, 31 Dec 2022 13:28 UTC

On 31/05/2020 12:05, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> The B&D workmate is certainly not an item that has improved over time. Compared to my original one the present one is a lot flimsier and full of sharp edges, I only use it these days in desperation.

Haven't looked at recent ones, but the quality of the jaws/vice rapidly
dropped as the product was revised.

My dad has the original cast ally one.

I have one of the early pressed steel ones, still good.

My brother has a newer pressed steel one (albeit quite old now)- jaws
made of ply with the strength of bolsawood.

That reminds me, lost one of the intermediate rubber feet from mine,
which I need to find a replacement.

Andrew

Re: Black and Decker Workmate - still with dangerously sharp edges?

<EnBK5bG3IEsjFwUd@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83163&group=uk.d-i-y#83163

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 14:07:51 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 31 Dec 2022 14:07 UTC

In message <topddh$115ks$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew Gabriel
<andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk> writes
>On 31/05/2020 12:05, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> The B&D workmate is certainly not an item that has improved over
>>time. Compared to my original one the present one is a lot flimsier
>>and full of sharp edges, I only use it these days in desperation.
>
>Haven't looked at recent ones, but the quality of the jaws/vice rapidly
>dropped as the product was revised.
>
>My dad has the original cast ally one.
>
>I have one of the early pressed steel ones, still good.
>
>My brother has a newer pressed steel one (albeit quite old now)- jaws
>made of ply with the strength of bolsawood.
>
>That reminds me, lost one of the intermediate rubber feet from mine,
>which I need to find a replacement.

At last count, I have 4 of various vintages. One actually purchased, the
remainder from skip diving or gifts from retiring carpenters.

--
Tim Lamb

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Black and Decker Workmate - still with dangerously sharp edges?