From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Furniture boards - B&Q
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 23:33:10 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 31 Dec 2022 23:33 UTC

Earlier this year I was visiting B&Q's Watford store and noticed that
they held 97mm and 114mm width white-faced furniture boards. I didn't
remember seeing them when I placed a large order several weeks before
that.

I was annoyed at the time because I had had to slice a 200mm board
with my track saw using my "bench" - two pallets!

I am now looking to build another piece of furniture.

When I checked their website, there were no narrow boards.

I cannot see a way to contact them and ask if they intend to stock
them again.

Can anyone suggest an alternative source within a reasonable distance
of NW London?

Oh! And thank you for the tremendous help so many of you have been this
year and I wish you all a healthy happy 2023.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-132-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: Furniture boards - B&Q

<5a5fdaee7echarles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83242&group=uk.d-i-y#83242

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Subject: Re: Furniture boards - B&Q
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 09:00:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 09:00 UTC

In article <20221231233310.1fe157dd0d7ecaf76c38ded3@gmail.com>,
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
> Earlier this year I was visiting B&Q's Watford store and noticed that
> they held 97mm and 114mm width white-faced furniture boards. I didn't
> remember seeing them when I placed a large order several weeks before
> that.

> I was annoyed at the time because I had had to slice a 200mm board
> with my track saw using my "bench" - two pallets!

> I am now looking to build another piece of furniture.

> When I checked their website, there were no narrow boards.

> I cannot see a way to contact them and ask if they intend to stock
> them again.

> Can anyone suggest an alternative source within a reasonable distance
> of NW London?

wickes?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Furniture boards - B&Q

<torj1u$1bv7h$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83243&group=uk.d-i-y#83243

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (Jim gm4dhj ...)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 09:16:45 +0000
 by: Jim gm4dhj ... - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 09:16 UTC

> Oh! And thank you for the tremendous help so many of you have been this
> year and I wish you all a healthy happy 2023.
>
> Alan

it was nothing

Re: Furniture boards - B&Q

<nxk*4Df7y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83251&group=uk.d-i-y#83251

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 01 Jan 2023 10:18:09 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 10:18 UTC

pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
> Earlier this year I was visiting B&Q's Watford store and noticed that
> they held 97mm and 114mm width white-faced furniture boards. I didn't
> remember seeing them when I placed a large order several weeks before
> that.
>
> I was annoyed at the time because I had had to slice a 200mm board
> with my track saw using my "bench" - two pallets!
>
> I am now looking to build another piece of furniture.
>
> When I checked their website, there were no narrow boards.
>
> I cannot see a way to contact them and ask if they intend to stock
> them again.
>
> Can anyone suggest an alternative source within a reasonable distance
> of NW London?

You can get melamine faced MDF in sheet form:
https://www.ajferguson.co.uk/sheet-materials/mdf/melamine/white-melamine-faced-mdf-2440mm-x-1220mm-x-15mm
and they will cut to size and edge band for you.

(that yard is in Shepherd's Bush - no experience myself, but it's the one
Peter Millard uses for timber in his Youtube videos)

If you want timber in quantity, maybe it's better to go to a yard than
a retail shed?

Theo

Re: Furniture boards - B&Q

<07f4b20f-3c62-19b3-3dc6-0bcaa4f751fc@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83256&group=uk.d-i-y#83256

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 11:36:32 +0000
 by: Robin - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 11:36 UTC

On 31/12/2022 23:33, pinnerite wrote:
> Earlier this year I was visiting B&Q's Watford store and noticed that
> they held 97mm and 114mm width white-faced furniture boards. I didn't
> remember seeing them when I placed a large order several weeks before
> that.
>
> I was annoyed at the time because I had had to slice a 200mm board
> with my track saw using my "bench" - two pallets!
>
> I am now looking to build another piece of furniture.
>
> When I checked their website, there were no narrow boards.
>
> I cannot see a way to contact them and ask if they intend to stock
> them again.
>
> Can anyone suggest an alternative source within a reasonable distance
> of NW London?

FWIW I used to buy such boards from office fitters[1] near me for
folding money. They'd also cut to size for me if I waited till they
weren't pressed for time. Might be worth you looking for similar near you.

[1] both long gone far away when their premises were needed to make way
for yet more blocks of flats like so many other such firms. Sodding
London Olympics.
--
Robin

Re: Furniture boards - B&Q

<tos68a$1grl$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83271&group=uk.d-i-y#83271

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 14:44:26 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 14:44 UTC

On 01/01/2023 10:18, Theo wrote:
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Earlier this year I was visiting B&Q's Watford store and noticed that
>> they held 97mm and 114mm width white-faced furniture boards. I didn't
>> remember seeing them when I placed a large order several weeks before
>> that.
>>
>> I was annoyed at the time because I had had to slice a 200mm board
>> with my track saw using my "bench" - two pallets!
>>
>> I am now looking to build another piece of furniture.
>>
>> When I checked their website, there were no narrow boards.
>>
>> I cannot see a way to contact them and ask if they intend to stock
>> them again.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest an alternative source within a reasonable distance
>> of NW London?
>
> You can get melamine faced MDF in sheet form:
> https://www.ajferguson.co.uk/sheet-materials/mdf/melamine/white-melamine-faced-mdf-2440mm-x-1220mm-x-15mm
> and they will cut to size and edge band for you.
>
> (that yard is in Shepherd's Bush - no experience myself, but it's the one
> Peter Millard uses for timber in his Youtube videos)
>
> If you want timber in quantity, maybe it's better to go to a yard than
> a retail shed?
>
> Theo

for some reason a sheet 12mm thick costs slightly more
than one that is 15mm thick. Wierd.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Furniture boards - B&Q