List each check separately by bank number.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

SubjectAuthor
* Neff Oven Enamel CorrosionEndulini
+* Re: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosioninri
|+- Re: Neff Oven Enamel CorrosionBrian Gaff
|`- Re: Neff Oven Enamel CorrosionEndulini
`* Re: Neff Oven Enamel CorrosionAndrew Gabriel
 +- Re: Neff Oven Enamel CorrosionBrian Gaff
 `- Re: Neff Oven Enamel CorrosionEndulini

1
Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

<92a51345-dc0d-4418-8cba-5fe3863e755en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83292&group=uk.d-i-y#83292

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 08:51:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion
From: derek.n....@gmail.com (Endulini)
 by: Endulini - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 16:51 UTC

Hi Folks,

I have a Neff N50 Built-in double oven U2ACM7HN0B and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it however I have had to consistently get Neff out to look at because of the corrosion at the small lip in front of the door of the main oven. In fairness Neff have been really good about it and promptly replaced it twice however a pattern seems to be emerging of the corrosion happening at exactly the same place after around a year of use. The oven cavity is pyrolytically cleaned regularly and spillages are cleaned up after use using just a damp non-abrasive cloth so no prohibited chemicals or abrasives have been used. Besides the area affected isn't one where spillages typically happen anyway although it is an area that the pyrolytic clean doesn't have any impact.

As it is the same place that has been affected I'm beginning to suspect that this is an inherent problem with the oven but don't really want to get into an annual cycle of calling Neff out to look at it.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue and if so what was the outcome with Neff?

Cheers!!

Re: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

<tosg3l$1fd5t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83299&group=uk.d-i-y#83299

From: sca...@_us.org (inri)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 17:32:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: inri - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 17:32 UTC

On Sun, 01 Jan 2023 08:51:44 -0800, Endulini wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a Neff N50 Built-in double oven U2ACM7HN0B and for the most part
> I'm pretty happy with it however I have had to consistently get Neff out
> to look at because of the corrosion at the small lip in front of the
> door of the main oven. In fairness Neff have been really good about it
> and promptly replaced it twice however a pattern seems to be emerging of
> the corrosion happening at exactly the same place after around a year of
> use. The oven cavity is pyrolytically cleaned regularly and spillages
> are cleaned up after use using just a damp non-abrasive cloth so no
> prohibited chemicals or abrasives have been used. Besides the area
> affected isn't one where spillages typically happen anyway although it
> is an area that the pyrolytic clean doesn't have any impact.
>
> As it is the same place that has been affected I'm beginning to suspect
> that this is an inherent problem with the oven but don't really want to
> get into an annual cycle of calling Neff out to look at it.
>
> Has anyone else seen a similar issue and if so what was the outcome with
> Neff?
>
> Cheers!!

I would suggest it is not Enamel as I understand it.

Re: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

<tosq50$1g7va$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83338&group=uk.d-i-y#83338

From: and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 20:24:00 +0000
 by: Andrew Gabriel - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 20:24 UTC

On 01/01/2023 16:51, Endulini wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a Neff N50 Built-in double oven U2ACM7HN0B and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it however I have had to consistently get Neff out to look at because of the corrosion at the small lip in front of the door of the main oven. In fairness Neff have been really good about it and promptly replaced it twice however a pattern seems to be emerging of the corrosion happening at exactly the same place after around a year of use. The oven cavity is pyrolytically cleaned regularly and spillages are cleaned up after use using just a damp non-abrasive cloth so no prohibited chemicals or abrasives have been used. Besides the area affected isn't one where spillages typically happen anyway although it is an area that the pyrolytic clean doesn't have any impact.
>
> As it is the same place that has been affected I'm beginning to suspect that this is an inherent problem with the oven but don't really want to get into an annual cycle of calling Neff out to look at it.
>
> Has anyone else seen a similar issue and if so what was the outcome with Neff?

Enamel is damaged by either acids or alkalis (depending how it was
formulated). Kitchen enamels are usually designed to be resistant to
acids and therefore dissolved by alkalis. Oven cleaners and dishwasher
detergents are alkalis - does it come in to contact with any of these?

Bath enamels on the other hand are resistant to alkalis so they're not
damaged by soap, but this means they are damaged by acids.

Andrew

Re: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

<touac1$1no3g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83369&group=uk.d-i-y#83369

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:06:55 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:06 UTC

If it has any sharp bends in it or friction applied to it it can craze, and
if its something that can rust or oxidise, it will. I got rid of a
perfectly serviceable Philips Microwave that had a drop down door due to
similar problems just inside the front bottom edge of the cooking cavity.
Strangely nowhere else flaked or rusted, as it was mostly stainless or an
alloy. This piece needed to be strong as the hinges were mounted on it.

I guess the first question is, what the cause actually is.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"inri" <scams_@_us.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2023 08:51:44 -0800, Endulini wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a Neff N50 Built-in double oven U2ACM7HN0B and for the most part
>> I'm pretty happy with it however I have had to consistently get Neff out
>> to look at because of the corrosion at the small lip in front of the
>> door of the main oven. In fairness Neff have been really good about it
>> and promptly replaced it twice however a pattern seems to be emerging of
>> the corrosion happening at exactly the same place after around a year of
>> use. The oven cavity is pyrolytically cleaned regularly and spillages
>> are cleaned up after use using just a damp non-abrasive cloth so no
>> prohibited chemicals or abrasives have been used. Besides the area
>> affected isn't one where spillages typically happen anyway although it
>> is an area that the pyrolytic clean doesn't have any impact.
>>
>> As it is the same place that has been affected I'm beginning to suspect
>> that this is an inherent problem with the oven but don't really want to
>> get into an annual cycle of calling Neff out to look at it.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen a similar issue and if so what was the outcome with
>> Neff?
>>
>> Cheers!!
>
> I would suggest it is not Enamel as I understand it.

Re: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

<touan0$1np4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83370&group=uk.d-i-y#83370

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:12:47 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:12 UTC

Talking of Baths, yes my bath has lost its shine and I had thought it was
our hard water. Its quite old now and is metal, but its annoying as non slip
mats no longer grip and I imagine its only a matter of time till the white
will wear away. Problem is with today's cleaning products, they change the
formulation and do not actually make it plain and so what was safe one week
might not be in another bottle. You cannot win. If only baths were plug and
go. I mean you can bet that any new bath will be a different dimension to
the old one meaning tiling changes and lots of filler etc and different pipe
work..
Brian

--

--:
"Andrew Gabriel" <andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 01/01/2023 16:51, Endulini wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a Neff N50 Built-in double oven U2ACM7HN0B and for the most part
>> I'm pretty happy with it however I have had to consistently get Neff out
>> to look at because of the corrosion at the small lip in front of the door
>> of the main oven. In fairness Neff have been really good about it and
>> promptly replaced it twice however a pattern seems to be emerging of the
>> corrosion happening at exactly the same place after around a year of use.
>> The oven cavity is pyrolytically cleaned regularly and spillages are
>> cleaned up after use using just a damp non-abrasive cloth so no
>> prohibited chemicals or abrasives have been used. Besides the area
>> affected isn't one where spillages typically happen anyway although it is
>> an area that the pyrolytic clean doesn't have any impact.
>>
>> As it is the same place that has been affected I'm beginning to suspect
>> that this is an inherent problem with the oven but don't really want to
>> get into an annual cycle of calling Neff out to look at it.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen a similar issue and if so what was the outcome with
>> Neff?
>
> Enamel is damaged by either acids or alkalis (depending how it was
> formulated). Kitchen enamels are usually designed to be resistant to acids
> and therefore dissolved by alkalis. Oven cleaners and dishwasher
> detergents are alkalis - does it come in to contact with any of these?
>
> Bath enamels on the other hand are resistant to alkalis so they're not
> damaged by soap, but this means they are damaged by acids.
>
> Andrew

Re: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

<d34621af-b2cb-4b1a-ba0e-505f1ce40163n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83377&group=uk.d-i-y#83377

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 03:08:49 -0800 (PST)
From: derek.n....@gmail.com (Endulini)
 by: Endulini - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 11:08 UTC

On Sunday, 1 January 2023 at 17:32:41 UTC, inri wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2023 08:51:44 -0800, Endulini wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I have a Neff N50 Built-in double oven U2ACM7HN0B and for the most part
> > I'm pretty happy with it however I have had to consistently get Neff out
> > to look at because of the corrosion at the small lip in front of the
> > door of the main oven. In fairness Neff have been really good about it
> > and promptly replaced it twice however a pattern seems to be emerging of
> > the corrosion happening at exactly the same place after around a year of
> > use. The oven cavity is pyrolytically cleaned regularly and spillages
> > are cleaned up after use using just a damp non-abrasive cloth so no
> > prohibited chemicals or abrasives have been used. Besides the area
> > affected isn't one where spillages typically happen anyway although it
> > is an area that the pyrolytic clean doesn't have any impact.
> >
> > As it is the same place that has been affected I'm beginning to suspect
> > that this is an inherent problem with the oven but don't really want to
> > get into an annual cycle of calling Neff out to look at it.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen a similar issue and if so what was the outcome with
> > Neff?
> >
> > Cheers!!
> I would suggest it is not Enamel as I understand it.

Ok, mea culpa, I used the same terminology as the 'engineers' who came to inspect it but am happy to accept it's probably not enamel in the commonly understood meaning.

It is the coating on the inside cavity of the oven, whatever it actually is :)

Re: Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

<f707c3c4-398d-4a49-8a33-9e8945e5332dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83378&group=uk.d-i-y#83378

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 03:10:57 -0800 (PST)
From: derek.n....@gmail.com (Endulini)
 by: Endulini - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 11:10 UTC

On Sunday, 1 January 2023 at 20:24:04 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> On 01/01/2023 16:51, Endulini wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I have a Neff N50 Built-in double oven U2ACM7HN0B and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it however I have had to consistently get Neff out to look at because of the corrosion at the small lip in front of the door of the main oven. In fairness Neff have been really good about it and promptly replaced it twice however a pattern seems to be emerging of the corrosion happening at exactly the same place after around a year of use. The oven cavity is pyrolytically cleaned regularly and spillages are cleaned up after use using just a damp non-abrasive cloth so no prohibited chemicals or abrasives have been used. Besides the area affected isn't one where spillages typically happen anyway although it is an area that the pyrolytic clean doesn't have any impact.
> >
> > As it is the same place that has been affected I'm beginning to suspect that this is an inherent problem with the oven but don't really want to get into an annual cycle of calling Neff out to look at it.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen a similar issue and if so what was the outcome with Neff?
> Enamel is damaged by either acids or alkalis (depending how it was
> formulated). Kitchen enamels are usually designed to be resistant to
> acids and therefore dissolved by alkalis. Oven cleaners and dishwasher
> detergents are alkalis - does it come in to contact with any of these?

No, it's just had a wipe out with a damp non-abrasive cloth, the instructions say not to use oven-cleaner on the coating so I haven't.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion