Visit beautiful Vergas, Minnesota.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: LiPo battery question

SubjectAuthor
* LiPo battery questionTim+
+* Re: LiPo battery questionTheo
|+- Re: LiPo battery questionBrian Gaff
|`- Re: LiPo battery questionThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: LiPo battery questionBrian Gaff
`- Re: LiPo battery questionJohn J

1
LiPo battery question

<1827375818.694457208.011369.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83514&group=uk.d-i-y#83514

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: LiPo battery question
Date: 3 Jan 2023 16:51:57 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 16:51 UTC

My daughter has some headphones with a rechargeable battery that is losing
capacity.

It’s a small thing of 180mAh capacity and while there are plenty of similar
batteries on eBay, they all just have two wires, whilst hers has three
(red, black and white). Three wire batteries seem to be more common in the
larger battery sizes.

My daughter wants to know what the third wire does and can she fit a two
wire one instead?

Best solution would obviously be to find one with three wires if possible.
I’ve only looked on eBay so far. Any other suggestions for places to look?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: LiPo battery question

<nxk*9Hr7y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83517&group=uk.d-i-y#83517

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: LiPo battery question
Date: 03 Jan 2023 17:12:21 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:12 UTC

Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
> My daughter has some headphones with a rechargeable battery that is losing
> capacity.
>
> It’s a small thing of 180mAh capacity and while there are plenty of similar
> batteries on eBay, they all just have two wires, whilst hers has three
> (red, black and white). Three wire batteries seem to be more common in the
> larger battery sizes.
>
> My daughter wants to know what the third wire does and can she fit a two
> wire one instead?

It's normally an NTC thermistor for sensing the battery temperature. The
battery management will cut the power if it senses it's overheating.

Searching around, one ref suggests it's a 10K NTC thermistor with a beta of
3977K, but I can't find confirmation that's a common spec. I'm guessing
it's between the third terminal and the negative pole, but haven't confirmed
that.

You could try measuring the old one at different temperatures and from that
there are online calculators to calculate the beta.

> Best solution would obviously be to find one with three wires if possible.
> I’ve only looked on eBay so far. Any other suggestions for places to look?

Aliexpress?

Theo

Re: LiPo battery question

<tp1oru$269n2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83525&group=uk.d-i-y#83525

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:32:43 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:32 UTC

Three wires implies some more intelligence in the charger. It can be
monitoring of heat for example. I don't really want my ear to catch fire
due to the circuit malfunctioning!

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My daughter has some headphones with a rechargeable battery that is losing
> capacity.
>
> It's a small thing of 180mAh capacity and while there are plenty of
> similar
> batteries on eBay, they all just have two wires, whilst hers has three
> (red, black and white). Three wire batteries seem to be more common in
> the
> larger battery sizes.
>
> My daughter wants to know what the third wire does and can she fit a two
> wire one instead?
>
> Best solution would obviously be to find one with three wires if possible.
> I've only looked on eBay so far. Any other suggestions for places to look?
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: LiPo battery question

<tp1ouu$269uj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83526&group=uk.d-i-y#83526

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:34:18 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:34 UTC

Do the company who made the phones have a UK distributor? How old is the
unit?
Brian

--

--:
"Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My daughter has some headphones with a rechargeable battery that is
>> losing
>> capacity.
>>
>> It's a small thing of 180mAh capacity and while there are plenty of
>> similar
>> batteries on eBay, they all just have two wires, whilst hers has three
>> (red, black and white). Three wire batteries seem to be more common in
>> the
>> larger battery sizes.
>>
>> My daughter wants to know what the third wire does and can she fit a two
>> wire one instead?
>
> It's normally an NTC thermistor for sensing the battery temperature. The
> battery management will cut the power if it senses it's overheating.
>
> Searching around, one ref suggests it's a 10K NTC thermistor with a beta
> of
> 3977K, but I can't find confirmation that's a common spec. I'm guessing
> it's between the third terminal and the negative pole, but haven't
> confirmed
> that.
>
> You could try measuring the old one at different temperatures and from
> that
> there are online calculators to calculate the beta.
>
>> Best solution would obviously be to find one with three wires if
>> possible.
>> I've only looked on eBay so far. Any other suggestions for places to
>> look?
>
> Aliexpress?
>
> Theo

Re: LiPo battery question

<tp1qv2$269h9$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83533&group=uk.d-i-y#83533

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:08:34 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:08 UTC

On 03/01/2023 17:12, Theo wrote:
> Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My daughter has some headphones with a rechargeable battery that is losing
>> capacity.
>>
>> It’s a small thing of 180mAh capacity and while there are plenty of similar
>> batteries on eBay, they all just have two wires, whilst hers has three
>> (red, black and white). Three wire batteries seem to be more common in the
>> larger battery sizes.

It depends. A two cell RC LIPO battery has a three wire charging
connector in order to charge each cell separately, in case they become
unbalanced, when one cell may get overcharged.

Not saying this is the case here, but its possible.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Re: LiPo battery question

<a47b86bb-6bf2-4de9-a8bd-e6aef90fcad6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83592&group=uk.d-i-y#83592

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 00:52:55 -0800 (PST)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 08:52 UTC

On Tuesday, 3 January 2023 at 16:52:03 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
> My daughter has some headphones with a rechargeable battery that is losing
> capacity.
>
> It’s a small thing of 180mAh capacity and while there are plenty of similar
> batteries on eBay, they all just have two wires, whilst hers has three
> (red, black and white). Three wire batteries seem to be more common in the
> larger battery sizes.
>
> My daughter wants to know what the third wire does and can she fit a two
> wire one instead?
>
> Best solution would obviously be to find one with three wires if possible..
> I’ve only looked on eBay so far. Any other suggestions for places to look?
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls
Pretty sure Big Clive did a strip down of a 3 contact battery on his YouTube channel

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: LiPo battery question