From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Log burner or multi-fuel?
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 10:21:43 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 10:21 UTC

Happy new variant.

I'm not familiar with these, but our 'new' house has a burner with only
the markings "Jotul 3" cast into it and no documentation. As far as I
can see, these aren't made any longer and there were different versions
with different suffixes.

This Xmas I bought some logs and we use it with no problems. However,
for complicated reasons to do with the move, we have a bag of smokeless
coal. Is there an easy way to tell if our burner is wood-only or
multi-fuel? I suppose putting a few lumps in with the logs wouldn't
hurt, but it would be nice to know.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Log burner or multi-fuel?

<334a8a27-80ec-4df9-8d7a-826da8f104a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83490&group=uk.d-i-y#83490

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 02:59:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Log burner or multi-fuel?
From: greyride...@googlemail.com (greyrider)
 by: greyrider - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 10:59 UTC

On Tuesday, 3 January 2023 at 10:21:47 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
> Happy new variant.
>
> I'm not familiar with these, but our 'new' house has a burner with only
> the markings "Jotul 3" cast into it and no documentation. As far as I
> can see, these aren't made any longer and there were different versions
> with different suffixes.
>
> This Xmas I bought some logs and we use it with no problems. However,
> for complicated reasons to do with the move, we have a bag of smokeless
> coal. Is there an easy way to tell if our burner is wood-only or
> multi-fuel? I suppose putting a few lumps in with the logs wouldn't
> hurt, but it would be nice to know.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Clive
Try their website, jotul.co.uk, where you'll find a user manual for the JotulF3 which is a wood and coal burner. Drop them an email and ask to be sure

Re: Log burner or multi-fuel?

<tp1oih$1o0d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83522&group=uk.d-i-y#83522

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:27:39 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:27 UTC

On 03/01/2023 10:21, Clive Arthur wrote:
> Happy new variant.
>
> I'm not familiar with these, but our 'new' house has a burner with only
> the markings "Jotul 3" cast into it and no documentation.  As far as I
> can see, these aren't made any longer and there were different versions
> with different suffixes.

If it is multi fuel then it should have some way of reconfiguring the
grate so that the coal or eggs can be burnt with more air.

> This Xmas I bought some logs and we use it with no problems.  However,
> for complicated reasons to do with the move, we have a bag of smokeless
> coal.  Is there an easy way to tell if our burner is wood-only or
> multi-fuel?  I suppose putting a few lumps in with the logs wouldn't
> hurt, but it would be nice to know.

Putting a couple of pieces of coal in the fire when burning logs is a
handy way of having embers the next morning hot enough to relight from.

For wood the grate is flat with bobbles on and that can be turned
through 90 degrees to get a grate with rectangular holes in.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Log burner or multi-fuel?

<tp1u68$bdc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83543&group=uk.d-i-y#83543

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 19:03:36 +0000
 by: Andrew - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 19:03 UTC

On 03/01/2023 17:27, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 03/01/2023 10:21, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> Happy new variant.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with these, but our 'new' house has a burner with
>> only the markings "Jotul 3" cast into it and no documentation.  As far
>> as I can see, these aren't made any longer and there were different
>> versions with different suffixes.
>
> If it is multi fuel then it should have some way of reconfiguring the
> grate so that the coal or eggs can be burnt with more air.

Freeze dried eggs or kiln dried ?

Re: Log burner or multi-fuel?

<tp21s2$275cb$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83565&group=uk.d-i-y#83565

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 20:06:26 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 20:06 UTC

On 03/01/2023 10:21, Clive Arthur wrote:
> Happy new variant.
>
> I'm not familiar with these, but our 'new' house has a burner with only
> the markings "Jotul 3" cast into it and no documentation.  As far as I
> can see, these aren't made any longer and there were different versions
> with different suffixes.
>
> This Xmas I bought some logs and we use it with no problems.  However,
> for complicated reasons to do with the move, we have a bag of smokeless
> coal.  Is there an easy way to tell if our burner is wood-only or
> multi-fuel?  I suppose putting a few lumps in with the logs wouldn't
> hurt, but it would be nice to know.

Ive never met a wood burner that wouldn't handle coal as well. The only
caveat is that if you rev the thing up with coal it may get hot enough
and carbon monoxide rich enough to burn through any raw steel inside it.

If you have some sill corrugated flue liner it wont be good, but if you
have an old fashioned stovepipe or a proper stainless double wall flue
it should be OK

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

Re: Log burner or multi-fuel?

<tp3kou$2eofm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=83613&group=uk.d-i-y#83613

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:35:09 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:35 UTC

Thanks all.

--
Clive

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Log burner or multi-fuel?