May you live in interesting times. -- Chinese proverb

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Wild Rasberries

SubjectAuthor
* Wild RasberriesTimW
+* Re: Wild RasberriesThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Wild RasberriesStewart Robert Hinsley
| `- Re: Wild RasberriesJim Jackson
`- Re: Wild RasberriesJim Jackson

1
Wild Rasberries

<s5f4ss$7ie$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=832&group=uk.rec.gardening#832

From: tim...@mysurname.me.uk (TimW)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Wild Rasberries
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 18:11:55 +0100
 by: TimW - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 17:11 UTC

I am wanting to have som semi-wild crops around the perimiter of a
little orchard. It's just for home use. Somewhere in the recess of my
brain I have an idea that you can propagate wild rasberries by cutting
them from where you find them and sticking them in the ground elsewhere?
or do you need to take the roots as well?

Tim w

Re: Wild Rasberries

<s5f8vf$5g6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=833&group=uk.rec.gardening#833

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Wild Rasberries
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 19:21:34 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 18:21 UTC

On 17/04/2021 18:11, TimW wrote:
> I am wanting to have som semi-wild crops around the perimiter of a
> little orchard. It's just for home use. Somewhere in the recess of my
> brain I have an idea that you can propagate wild rasberries by cutting
> them from where you find them and sticking them in the ground elsewhere?
> or do you need to take the roots as well?
>
> Tim w
Normally you grab the suckers and separate them and they go just fine.
Consider also tayberries and 'large' blackberry cultivars.
All are just 'a wipe with a hedgetrimmer in autumn' and then they come
back the next year.

--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Re: Wild Rasberries

<slrns7mkj3.bb9.jj@iridium.wf32df>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=834&group=uk.rec.gardening#834

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 21:25:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 21:25 UTC

On 2021-04-17, TimW <tim@mysurname.me.uk> wrote:
> I am wanting to have som semi-wild crops around the perimiter of a
> little orchard. It's just for home use. Somewhere in the recess of my
> brain I have an idea that you can propagate wild rasberries by cutting
> them from where you find them and sticking them in the ground elsewhere?
> or do you need to take the roots as well?

I've never succeeded from cuttings. They propogate naturally by root
runners, and of course seed :-)

Most modern varieties are not brilliant taste wise. Whereas some wild
ones have an amazing taste. So if you find a really good wild raspberry,
you need a stem with root.

However you really should get the landowner's permission before digging
up and of their wild plants ;-)

Re: Wild Rasberries

<s5m5l7$fme$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=836&group=uk.rec.gardening#836

From: {$new...@meden.demon.co.uk (Stewart Robert Hinsley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 10:07:50 +0100
 by: Stewart Robert Hinsl - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 09:07 UTC

> All are just 'a wipe with a hedgetrimmer in autumn' and then they come
> back the next year.

Cultivated raspberries come in "summer" (floricane) and "autumn"
(primocane) varieties. I don't know off hand what the situation is in
the ancestral wild raspberry, but as some of the plants found in the
wild are escapes from cultivation there's be a definite chance of
acquiring a floricane form. Cutting those back in the autumn doesn't work.

(I've found that if you don't cut back primocane raspberries you get a
smaller crop in summer as well as the main autumn crop. My usual
practice is to cut out the dead growth about now, when you can see where
the new growth is.)

--
SRH

Re: Wild Rasberries

<slrns7tusd.2e2.jj@iridium.wf32df>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=837&group=uk.rec.gardening#837

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 16:04:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 16:04 UTC

On 2021-04-20, Stewart Robert Hinsley <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 17/04/2021 19:21, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> All are just 'a wipe with a hedgetrimmer in autumn' and then they come
>> back the next year.
>>

> Cultivated raspberries come in "summer" (floricane) and "autumn"
> (primocane) varieties. I don't know off hand what the situation is in
> the ancestral wild raspberry,

I believe, the European wild raspberry is floricane. I have so far not
come across found "wild" autumn (primocane) raspberries - though garden
escapes should be around.

> but as some of the plants found in the
> wild are escapes from cultivation there's be a definite chance of
> acquiring a floricane form. Cutting those back in the autumn doesn't work.

The usual advice for raspberry pruning, is to cut back the cane after it
has fruited. This works for summer or autumn fruiting types.

> (I've found that if you don't cut back primocane raspberries you get a
> smaller crop in summer as well as the main autumn crop. My usual
> practice is to cut out the dead growth about now, when you can see where
> the new growth is.)

Like you I also leave a few autumn fruiting canes (the ones that were
"late" and only fruited right at the top of the cane), to fruit in early
summer. I find that they are often a week or so early than the earliest
summer raspberries.