From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: OT: FOAK - spam
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:21:21 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:21 UTC

On 20/02/2022 14:21, Pipl wrote:

> I used to be able to set filters on from etc. but I've started getting
> "From"s from various places; the one thing many have in common is
> "sparkpost" (who seem to be a spamm... err, marketing company) in the
> message body. However, setting a "body contains" term to look for
> "sparkpost" fails. I'm guessing that it's some quirk of HTML messages
> that hides the string from the filter.
>
> Junk mail filtering is enabled but I suspect I have to train the
> system somehow (I actually only just thought to check - I'd forgotten
> that this sort of filter exists).
>
> Any suggestions? Use small words - while I have done some limited web
> stuff, email is way outside my knowledge.
>
> Is ther an add-on that does raw-text regex searches? I got the
> impression that there might but a swift search didn't bring up any
> specific identities.

We'll need to grill you with some tricky questions first:
- Windows / Mac / Linux / Other?
- what version OS
- which email software or webmail / Gmail / Yahoo etc?

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: OT: FOAK - spam

<XnsAE44CED1A4CAFwtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8345&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8345

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:19:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:19 UTC

Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote in

> Ah. Win7, VirginMedia

when I had a virgin.net email address, I used Gmail to filter out the spam.
I have stopped using ISP based email and just use a few Gmail addresses,
from one master account.

Just pick up the virgin stuff via IMAP or POP3 to Gmail. Spam will
evaporate.

Re: OT: FOAK - spam

<suuchn$qc2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8348&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8348

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:41:10 -0800
 by: Turby - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:41 UTC

On 2/20/2022 12:19 PM, wessie wrote:
> Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote in
>

>> Ah. Win7, VirginMedia
>>

> when I had a virgin.net email address, I used Gmail to filter out the spam.
> I have stopped using ISP based email and just use a few Gmail addresses,
> from one master account.
>
> Just pick up the virgin stuff via IMAP or POP3 to Gmail. Spam will
> evaporate.

I have been getting calls every frickin day for the last 2 years or so,
from a roofing company that they have an offer "for a limited time."
These calls always last 16 seconds and are from random numbers. I
consider them proof that I'm still alive.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: OT: FOAK - spam

<e93c97a2-bdbc-c613-d36d-42b737e4fc0e@scorecrow.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8378&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8378

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 21:20:26 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 21:20 UTC

On 20/02/2022 22:58, Pipl wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:21:21 +0000, Bruce Horrocks
> <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:
>
>> We'll need to grill you with some tricky questions first:
>> - Windows / Mac / Linux / Other?
>> - what version OS
>> - which email software or webmail / Gmail / Yahoo etc?
>
> Actually, why should the OS matter? One would have thought (hope) that
> they all have similar standard interfaces for such mundane things
> ports, stdio etc and the app itself should port in a pretty constant
> way.

The OS matters in that you might have been using an email app on your
PC, or phone, or tablet rather than webmail.

Ports for SMTP/POP3/IMAP are all pretty-much standardised by the email
providers as you say, but anti-spam and blocking rules provided by each
app are very much specific to the app.

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS