From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Speed limiters on cars - a user's experience
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:36:11 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:36 UTC

[The original article was published by Tricky Dicky on the DIY group]

QUOTE

I see that the Daily Telegraph is reporting that ministers are actively
considering speed limiters on new vehicles to fall in line with a
similar EU directive.

My Kuga already has such a system and I already have some concerns about
how it works. The system relies on a camera spotting road signs rather
than GPS, with the limiter on and on the motorway it will pick up the
lane speeds from overhead gantry’s and power down the engine to comply
but as far as I am aware the brake lights do not come on so no warning
to anyone behind.

During normal driving the speed limit displays on the dashboard but the
results can be spurious. On a 30mph road I frequently use there a number
of side streets which have 20mph limits and on those that are at an
acute angle the camera often picks up the road sign and declares the
main road limit as 20mph. Partially obscured signs are often missed too.

I can understand the need for safety for considering such systems but to
my mind it creates as many problems as it solves.

ENDS

--
Spike