From: grumpyte...@gmail.com (Grumpy Tech)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Hire car...
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 16:48:57 +1000
 by: Grumpy Tech - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 06:48 UTC

Took a quick trip to Brisbane yesterday and hired a car for the day.
Ended up with a MG ZS.

Positive points.

It got me from A to B. ( I drove up to Australia Zoo and back)
Fuel economy very good.

Negatives.

Seats are abysmal
Cruise control lever too close to indicator lever so many times you
needed to use the cruise lever you hit the indicator.
Very noisy.
Underpowered.
Audio system crappy. (Sounds very tinny)

As an aside the indicators and cruise control are on the left and the
windscreen wipers on the right.

The worst experience was not the cars fault rather some smart arse who
had previously hired it. The car has an automatic speed limiter which is
on the same control as the cruise control. The speed had been set at
40km/h and when I pressed the button to turn the cruise on the lever was
actually in the ASL position rather than the cruise position meaning the
car immediately slowed to 40km/h and would not accelerate. What a shit
idea on a road going car.

Re: Hire car...

<j1dre8FiidoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8427&group=aus.cars#8427

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Hire car...
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 19:01:10 +1100
 by: Daryl - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 08:01 UTC

On 9/12/21 5:48 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> Took a quick trip to Brisbane yesterday and hired a car for the day.
> Ended up with a MG ZS.
>
> Positive points.
>
> It got me from A to B. ( I drove up to Australia Zoo and back)
> Fuel economy very good.

At least it wasn't all bad:-)

> Negatives.
>
> Seats are abysmal
> Cruise control lever too close to indicator lever so many times you
> needed to use the cruise lever you hit the indicator.
> Very noisy.
> Underpowered.
> Audio system crappy. (Sounds very tinny)
>
> As an aside the indicators and cruise control are on the left and the
> windscreen wipers on the right.

Same as my Mercedes but the levers are far enough apart to not be a problem.

> The worst experience was not the cars fault rather some smart arse who
> had previously hired it. The car has an automatic speed limiter which is
> on the same control as the cruise control. The speed had been set at
> 40km/h and when I pressed the button to turn the cruise on the lever was
> actually in the ASL position rather than the cruise position meaning the
> car immediately slowed to 40km/h and would not accelerate. What a shit
> idea on a road going car.

Lots of cars have a speed limiter function, my MB and wife's VW both
have it, I suppose the idea is you can set it so you can't accidentally
exceed the speed limit, I tried mine to see if it works but haven't used
it since.
What's odd with the MG is that it stayed on after the car was turned
off, it should have defaulted to off as soon as the ignition was turned
off.

--
Daryl

Re: Hire car...

<j1ds7qFimpqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8428&group=aus.cars#8428

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 19:14:48 +1100
 by: Xeno - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 08:14 UTC

On 9/12/21 5:48 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> Took a quick trip to Brisbane yesterday and hired a car for the day.
> Ended up with a MG ZS.
>
> Positive points.
>
> It got me from A to B. ( I drove up to Australia Zoo and back)
> Fuel economy very good.
>
> Negatives.
>
> Seats are abysmal

You would need to be *Chinese sized* to get a decent fit.

> Cruise control lever too close to indicator lever so many times you
> needed to use the cruise lever you hit the indicator.
> Very noisy.

Thin/ineffective sound deadening. Common in that market segment.

> Underpowered.

Old tech engines of 20+ years ago. Unsurprising outcome.

> Audio system crappy. (Sounds very tinny)
>
> As an aside the indicators and cruise control are on the left and the
> windscreen wipers on the right.

That's the one that would really bug me. Odd though since the car was
originally designed for a RHD country (UK). Seems the Chinese prefer the
LHD market and altered the preference.

> The worst experience was not the cars fault rather some smart arse who
> had previously hired it. The car has an automatic speed limiter which is
> on the same control as the cruise control. The speed had been set at
> 40km/h and when I pressed the button to turn the cruise on the lever was
> actually in the ASL position rather than the cruise position meaning the
> car immediately slowed to 40km/h and would not accelerate. What a shit
> idea on a road going car.

Not entirely a shit idea on a city based car with lots of 40kph school
zones. I'll bet that's why the speed limiter was set to 40kph. After
all, cruise control in the urban environment isn't a lot of use.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)