"How many people work here?" "Oh, about half."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

SubjectAuthor
* Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under newswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' underJNugent
+* Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' underswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' underSpike
+* Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' underswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' underJNugent
|`- Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' underswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' underswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' underMike Collins

1
Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<f7bc87f9-a056-4093-b9cc-4caf101beb47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8401&group=uk.rec.cycling#8401

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 03:06:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new
government plans'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:06 UTC

GOOD NEWS.

Brits could face having speed limiters fitted to all new cars under government plans to improve safety on the roads, it has been reported.

Measures that would see lower speeds and reduce pollution by cars would also be backed by environmental groups.

But critics have also hit out at the “big brother” idea which would mean greater control by the state on people’s lives.

The government is expected to announce consultations over several possible proposals to reduce the power of engines or where an alarm would sound if drivers go over the speed limit, reported the Telegraph.

It would be a further method to stop speeding with 60mph limits on parts of smart motorways which are being enforced by police.

At the same time some MPs have blasted what they see as an “anti-driver campaign”, including Craig Mackinlay, Conservative chairman of the Fair Fuel UK Motorists and Hauliers all-party parliamentary group.

He, reported the Telegraph, said: “This will completely destroy the luxury car market, and I think there are so many aspects of the anti-driver campaign now that are coming to the fore.

“This is just more Big Brother in your cockpit. We’ll see more of this if we go up the route of road pricing. I don’t think people have thought of the freedom aspects of all of this. It just sounds very unconservative.”

Speeding could be detected using GPS devices and cameras on cars but potential problems would include where there are temporary restrictions in place.

Edmund King, the president of the AA, reportedly said: “The speed limits have to be totally accurate because the car is reacting to the speed limit. If you’ve got the wrong speed limit in the digital system, it might slow you to the wrong speed or allow you to speed to the wrong speed.”

A provisional agreement has been reached to make speed limiters mandatory for all new cars sold in Europe from July 6 2022. Even though the UK left the EU in 2020, it still follows the same regulations for new cars.

Another rule that is implemented into UK law has made it mandatory for all new cars to be fitted with intelligent speed assistance by July 7 2024.

Limiters use a technology called Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA) to detect the local speed limit in the area using GPS and video data. They then eliminate the choice to go above the legal speed, or make it harder to. Manufacturers have a few options to implement this - from the system automatically reducing the engine’s power to visual, audio, and sensory signals to alert the driver.

Ford and Citroen are some of the car manufacturers who have already introduced speed limiting technology into new vehicles.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/drivers-face-speed-limiter-devices-26724837

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<jbvmnsFl2olU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8410&group=uk.rec.cycling#8410

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under
new government plans'
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:19:27 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 04:19 UTC

On 16/04/2022 11:06 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> GOOD NEWS.

[From the Year 2000:]

> Brits could face having speed limiters fitted to all new cars under government plans to improve safety on the roads, it has been reported.
>
> Measures that would see lower speeds and reduce pollution by cars would also be backed by environmental groups.
>
> But critics have also hit out at the “big brother” idea which would mean greater control by the state on people’s lives.
>
> The government is expected to announce consultations over several possible proposals to reduce the power of engines or where an alarm would sound if drivers go over the speed limit, reported the Telegraph.
>
> It would be a further method to stop speeding with 60mph limits on parts of smart motorways which are being enforced by police.
>
> At the same time some MPs have blasted what they see as an “anti-driver campaign”, including Craig Mackinlay, Conservative chairman of the Fair Fuel UK Motorists and Hauliers all-party parliamentary group.
>
> He, reported the Telegraph, said: “This will completely destroy the luxury car market, and I think there are so many aspects of the anti-driver campaign now that are coming to the fore.
>
> “This is just more Big Brother in your cockpit. We’ll see more of this if we go up the route of road pricing. I don’t think people have thought of the freedom aspects of all of this. It just sounds very unconservative.”
>
> Speeding could be detected using GPS devices and cameras on cars but potential problems would include where there are temporary restrictions in place.
>
> Edmund King, the president of the AA, reportedly said: “The speed limits have to be totally accurate because the car is reacting to the speed limit. If you’ve got the wrong speed limit in the digital system, it might slow you to the wrong speed or allow you to speed to the wrong speed.”
>
> A provisional agreement has been reached to make speed limiters mandatory for all new cars sold in Europe from July 6 2022. Even though the UK left the EU in 2020, it still follows the same regulations for new cars.
>
> Another rule that is implemented into UK law has made it mandatory for all new cars to be fitted with intelligent speed assistance by July 7 2024.
>
> Limiters use a technology called Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA) to detect the local speed limit in the area using GPS and video data. They then eliminate the choice to go above the legal speed, or make it harder to. Manufacturers have a few options to implement this - from the system automatically reducing the engine’s power to visual, audio, and sensory signals to alert the driver.
>
> Ford and Citroen are some of the car manufacturers who have already introduced speed limiting technology into new vehicles.
>
> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/drivers-face-speed-limiter-devices-26724837

I currently own a vehicle I bought new in April 2014.

It has "speed limiting technology" built in and I use it all the time,
especially in (30mph) built up areas.

You didn't even know that such technology already exists and is in use.

What would be even better would be technology built into fairy-cycles
making them impossible to fairy-pedal on a footway, in a pedestrianised
zone or the wrong way in a one-way street.

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<jbvoidFldseU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8412&group=uk.rec.cycling#8412

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new government plans'
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:45:21 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:45 UTC

On 16/04/2022 04:19, JNugent wrote:

> What would be even better would be technology built into fairy-cycles
> making them impossible to fairy-pedal on a footway, in a pedestrianised
> zone or the wrong way in a one-way street.

Red lights! Don't forget the red lights!

--
Spike

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<c6aa80a7-1164-40a4-b8bf-a8cf4913fd92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8416&group=uk.rec.cycling#8416

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 06:23:11 -0700 (PDT)
new government plans'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:23 UTC

QUOTE: Posh Jamers, Peterborough, United Kingdom, 6 minutes ago

Driving used to be fun, but not anymore. Too much traffic on roads that can't cope. Speed cameras everywhere forcing the driver to worry more about getting caught speeding than concentrating on the road. Terrible driving practices like zero lane discipline on motorways. Dread to drive any distance nowadays. ENDS

GIVE IT UP THEN IF YOU FEEL DREAD - SIMPLE.

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<jc0adtFondjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8427&group=uk.rec.cycling#8427

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new government plans'
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:50:08 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:50 UTC

On 16/04/2022 13:23, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: Posh Jamers, Peterborough, United Kingdom, 6 minutes ago

> Driving used to be fun, but not anymore. Too much traffic on roads that can't cope. Speed cameras everywhere forcing the driver to worry more about getting caught speeding than concentrating on the road. Terrible driving practices like zero lane discipline on motorways. Dread to drive any distance nowadays. ENDS

> GIVE IT UP THEN IF YOU FEEL DREAD - SIMPLE.

THE SAME GOES OR WHINING CYCLISTS

--
Spike

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<528fa6d9-7be6-40d4-b3dc-13988c1eb7dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8431&group=uk.rec.cycling#8431

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 09:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
new government plans'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:58 UTC

DisgustedFrom..., Norwich, United Kingdom, 7 minutes ago

QUOTE: Who cares? I barely get above 30mph for most of the driving I do! ENDS.

I used to top out at 34mph riding to work with a tailwind.

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<jc0bbmFoq35U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8434&group=uk.rec.cycling#8434

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new government plans'
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:05:58 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:05 UTC

> DisgustedFrom..., Norwich, United Kingdom, 7 minutes ago

> QUOTE: Who cares? I barely get above 30mph for most of the driving I do! ENDS.

> I used to top out at 34mph riding to work with a tailwind.

I had a car like that once.

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<09709a9e-135e-4f48-870d-438ad26070d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8435&group=uk.rec.cycling#8435

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
new government plans'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:07 UTC

Acc_2, MK, United Kingdom, 22 minutes ago

I have a family member who contacted for DFT. This has been the plan for years, it is necessary to the plan to transition to fully driverless roads. The same technology will be used for pay by mile taxation of electric vehicles. Soon Gov will be tracking the exact location of all our vehicles.

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<11576ad8-17c0-4562-8ad5-ab3c21753343n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8438&group=uk.rec.cycling#8438

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
new government plans'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:18 UTC

QUOTE: Doctor Venkman, Sin City, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago

No point in driving fast. All you do is get to the next traffic jam or traffic light a few seconds quicker in your little metal coffin. ENDS

By Jove, he's got it!

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<5d7d03be-d448-4440-bc23-51beb6f6e124n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8440&group=uk.rec.cycling#8440

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:04:41 -0700 (PDT)
new government plans'
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:04 UTC

On Saturday, 16 April 2022 at 11:07:00 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> GOOD NEWS.
>
> Brits could face having speed limiters fitted to all new cars under government plans to improve safety on the roads, it has been reported.
>
> Measures that would see lower speeds and reduce pollution by cars would also be backed by environmental groups.
>
> But critics have also hit out at the “big brother” idea which would mean greater control by the state on people’s lives.
>
> The government is expected to announce consultations over several possible proposals to reduce the power of engines or where an alarm would sound if drivers go over the speed limit, reported the Telegraph.
>
> It would be a further method to stop speeding with 60mph limits on parts of smart motorways which are being enforced by police.
>
> At the same time some MPs have blasted what they see as an “anti-driver campaign”, including Craig Mackinlay, Conservative chairman of the Fair Fuel UK Motorists and Hauliers all-party parliamentary group.
>
> He, reported the Telegraph, said: “This will completely destroy the luxury car market, and I think there are so many aspects of the anti-driver campaign now that are coming to the fore.
>
> “This is just more Big Brother in your cockpit. We’ll see more of this if we go up the route of road pricing. I don’t think people have thought of the freedom aspects of all of this. It just sounds very unconservative.”
>
> Speeding could be detected using GPS devices and cameras on cars but potential problems would include where there are temporary restrictions in place.
>
> Edmund King, the president of the AA, reportedly said: “The speed limits have to be totally accurate because the car is reacting to the speed limit. If you’ve got the wrong speed limit in the digital system, it might slow you to the wrong speed or allow you to speed to the wrong speed.”
>
> A provisional agreement has been reached to make speed limiters mandatory for all new cars sold in Europe from July 6 2022. Even though the UK left the EU in 2020, it still follows the same regulations for new cars.
>
> Another rule that is implemented into UK law has made it mandatory for all new cars to be fitted with intelligent speed assistance by July 7 2024.
>
> Limiters use a technology called Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA) to detect the local speed limit in the area using GPS and video data. They then eliminate the choice to go above the legal speed, or make it harder to. Manufacturers have a few options to implement this - from the system automatically reducing the engine’s power to visual, audio, and sensory signals to alert the driver.
>
> Ford and Citroen are some of the car manufacturers who have already introduced speed limiting technology into new vehicles.
>
> https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/drivers-face-speed-limiter-devices-26724837

What is the point? Motorists never break the law.

Re: Drivers face 'speed limiter devices fitted in all new cars' under new government plans'

<t3gmok$aet$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8448&group=uk.rec.cycling#8448

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
new government plans'
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:31:00 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:31 UTC

On 16/04/22 23:45, Spike wrote:
> On 16/04/2022 04:19, JNugent wrote:
>
>> What would be even better would be technology built into fairy-cycles
>> making them impossible to fairy-pedal on a footway, in a pedestrianised
>> zone or the wrong way in a one-way street.
>
> Red lights! Don't forget the red lights!

I love stopping at red lights.
It gives me an opportunity to gaze at the delicious floozies in their
tiny microskirts gallivanting down the footpath.