From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: OTish: Strange phone behaviour . . .
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 16:11:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sun, 15 May 2022 16:11 UTC

I've been getting a few texts from a friend that arrive - but not from his
number. As a reflex I've been replying to that number, and when no reply
received, I'd text to his proper number, and get an instant acknowledgement,
from him on his proper number.

I don't really want to discuss it with him as it might cause upset. Does
anyone know what might be going on?

As a probable aside, his details have disappeared from my iPhone and ipad
contacts, but still appear on the desktop version of Contacts. I've just
amended his card on the desktop and it's reappeared on the phone.
--
Cheers, Rob

Re: OTish: Strange phone behaviour . . .

<t5tudj$a5l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8489&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8489

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: OTish: Strange phone behaviour . . .
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 17:33:55 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Mon, 16 May 2022 16:33 UTC

On 15/05/2022 17:11, RJH wrote:
> I've been getting a few texts from a friend that arrive - but not from his
> number. As a reflex I've been replying to that number, and when no reply
> received, I'd text to his proper number, and get an instant acknowledgement,
> from him on his proper number.
>
> I don't really want to discuss it with him as it might cause upset. Does
> anyone know what might be going on?
>
> As a probable aside, his details have disappeared from my iPhone and ipad
> contacts, but still appear on the desktop version of Contacts. I've just
> amended his card on the desktop and it's reappeared on the phone.

Have either of you recently changed Mobile service provider?

If you've done a number porting (using a PAC code) it's quite common for
there to be some issues.

If I port my number to any Vodafone powered service, I have one or two
people that can't contact me - this is despite the number originating
with Vodafone.

In my case when I originally got the number with a new contract phone,
on Vodafone, I did have trouble at that time with a few people that
couldn't contact me. It did eventually right itself.

I have since ported it to a few different services, Orange/EE, iD (Three
network), GiffGaff (O2 Network) and Lebara (Vodafone network). Lebara
was the only one to have an issue with those certain numbers being
unable to contact me. I switched back to GiffGaff and all is fine again.

I can only surmise that Vodafone have some sort of issue with my number
(or perhaps a batch of numbers) on their system.

Just a thought.

--
Andy H

Re: OTish: Strange phone behaviour . . .

<t5vvfn$bjn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8520&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8520

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:04:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 17 May 2022 11:04 UTC

On 16 May 2022 at 17:33:55 BST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 15/05/2022 17:11, RJH wrote:
>> I've been getting a few texts from a friend that arrive - but not from his
>> number. As a reflex I've been replying to that number, and when no reply
>> received, I'd text to his proper number, and get an instant acknowledgement,
>> from him on his proper number.
>>
>> I don't really want to discuss it with him as it might cause upset. Does
>> anyone know what might be going on?
>>
>> As a probable aside, his details have disappeared from my iPhone and ipad
>> contacts, but still appear on the desktop version of Contacts. I've just
>> amended his card on the desktop and it's reappeared on the phone.
>
> Have either of you recently changed Mobile service provider?
>
> If you've done a number porting (using a PAC code) it's quite common for
> there to be some issues.
>
> If I port my number to any Vodafone powered service, I have one or two
> people that can't contact me - this is despite the number originating
> with Vodafone.
>
> In my case when I originally got the number with a new contract phone,
> on Vodafone, I did have trouble at that time with a few people that
> couldn't contact me. It did eventually right itself.
>
> I have since ported it to a few different services, Orange/EE, iD (Three
> network), GiffGaff (O2 Network) and Lebara (Vodafone network). Lebara
> was the only one to have an issue with those certain numbers being
> unable to contact me. I switched back to GiffGaff and all is fine again.
>
> I can only surmise that Vodafone have some sort of issue with my number
> (or perhaps a batch of numbers) on their system.
>
> Just a thought.

Thanks - I haven't changed provider and I don't think he has - but I'll
certainly check.
--
Cheers, Rob