Break into jail and claim police brutality.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

SubjectAuthor
* Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?David Brooks
+* Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?whisky-dave
|`* Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?David Brooks
| `- Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?David Brooks
`* Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?jbrennand
 +* Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?Mark
 |`* Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?jbrennand
 | `- Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?Mark
 `* Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?David Brooks
  `- Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?jbrennand

1
Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<7ufgK.273186$3b1.260745@fx14.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8470&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8470

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DGB...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Subject: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 23:51:46 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 15 May 2022 22:51 UTC

Hello

Although no longer a student, funds are still tight for my number 2
grandson.
He's asked me whether he should opt for a new Windows laptop or buy an
Apple machine.
I've suggested he might consider a refurbished or pre-owned Apple
MacBook rather than a brand new M1 chip machine.
What advantages, in simple terms, does a MacBook Pro have over a MacBook
Air?

Any and all advice welcomed. TIA

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<e25a1f49-ec63-40dc-8cac-26a53b0135e2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8482&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8482

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 07:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Mon, 16 May 2022 14:38 UTC

On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 23:51:51 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> Hello
>
> Although no longer a student, funds are still tight for my number 2
> grandson.
> He's asked me whether he should opt for a new Windows laptop or buy an
> Apple machine.
> I've suggested he might consider a refurbished or pre-owned Apple
> MacBook rather than a brand new M1 chip machine.
> What advantages, in simple terms, does a MacBook Pro have over a MacBook
> Air?
>
> Any and all advice welcomed. TIA

Doesn't it depend on what he's going to do with it.
Pros tend to have faster processors , better graphics cards,
larger HD/SSD and of course this all costs more.
Some pros are easier to upgrade the RAM and drive than a modern air.
But I'd assume you knoew this sort of thing, but it;s not always easier
to expain to someone, I remmeber trying to explain the difference between a PC and a Mac
to my dad, I gave up.

> --
> Kind regards,
> David
> User of an iMac, iPad Pro and iPhone
> My wife has an M1 MacBook Air

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<KwtgK.1185$tX09.915@fx10.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8483&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8483

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DGB...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 15:50:18 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 16 May 2022 14:50 UTC

On 16/05/2022 15:38, whisky-dave wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 23:51:51 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Although no longer a student, funds are still tight for my number 2
>> grandson.
>> He's asked me whether he should opt for a new Windows laptop or buy an
>> Apple machine.
>> I've suggested he might consider a refurbished or pre-owned Apple
>> MacBook rather than a brand new M1 chip machine.
>> What advantages, in simple terms, does a MacBook Pro have over a MacBook
>> Air?
>>
>> Any and all advice welcomed. TIA
>
> Doesn't it depend on what he's going to do with it.
> Pros tend to have faster processors , better graphics cards,
> larger HD/SSD and of course this all costs more.
> Some pros are easier to upgrade the RAM and drive than a modern air.
> But I'd assume you knoew this sort of thing, but it;s not always easier
> to expain to someone, I remmeber trying to explain the difference between a PC and a Mac
> to my dad, I gave up.

Haha! :-D

It's not easy for us old folks to keep up!

I've just got him to download Linux Mint onto his old Dell Laptop.

Do you know if it is possible to launch it directly from the ISO or must
it be loaded onto a memory stick (or DVD) first and then boot from that?

TIA

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<4wugK.100619$ep1.50924@fx03.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8487&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8487

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DGB...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:57:52 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 16 May 2022 15:57 UTC

On 16/05/2022 15:50, David Brooks wrote:
> On 16/05/2022 15:38, whisky-dave wrote:
>> On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 23:51:51 UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Although no longer a student, funds are still tight for my number 2
>>> grandson.
>>> He's asked me whether he should opt for a new Windows laptop or buy an
>>> Apple machine.
>>> I've suggested he might consider a refurbished or pre-owned Apple
>>> MacBook rather than a brand new M1 chip machine.
>>> What advantages, in simple terms, does a MacBook Pro have over a MacBook
>>> Air?
>>>
>>> Any and all advice welcomed. TIA
>>
>> Doesn't it depend on what he's going to do with it.
>> Pros tend to have faster processors , better graphics cards,
>> larger HD/SSD  and of course this all costs more.
>> Some pros are easier to upgrade the RAM and drive than a modern air.
>> But I'd assume you knoew this sort of thing, but it;s not always easier
>> to expain to someone, I remmeber trying to explain the difference
>> between a PC and a Mac
>> to my dad, I gave up.
>
> Haha! :-D
>
> It's not easy for us old folks to keep up!
>
> I've just got him to download Linux Mint onto his old Dell Laptop.
>
> Do you know if it is possible to launch it directly from the ISO or must
> it be loaded onto a memory stick (or DVD) first and then boot from that?

*Update*! He didn't have a memory stick so he's buying this item from eBay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234449177784?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=234449177784&targetid=1404115579413&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9045334&poi=1006615&campaignid=16782379350&mkgroupid=138238132947&rlsatarget=pla-1404115579413&abcId=9300843&merchantid=7433844&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IeUBhBbEiwADhiEMZq0TVVobcPpfEjNr4l0H8vzU1xaHVC9XJy4jn_WfzD_KpC9hxHZ1BoC4QMQAvD_BwE

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<t5u39r$gq9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8498&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8498

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 18:57:14 +0100
 by: jbrennand - Mon, 16 May 2022 17:57 UTC

On 15/05/2022 23:51, David Brooks wrote:
> Hello
>
> Although no longer a student, funds are still tight for my number 2
> grandson.
> He's asked me whether he should opt for a new Windows laptop or buy an
> Apple machine.
> I've suggested he might consider a refurbished or pre-owned Apple
> MacBook rather than a brand new M1 chip machine.
> What advantages, in simple terms, does a MacBook Pro have over a MacBook
> Air?
>
> Any and all advice welcomed. TIA

I am still of the opinion that the 13" mid-2012 Macbook Pro is the Apple
laptop sweet spot and is still a great "starter" machine :-)

You can install a large SSD, add extra Ram, do a cheap battery swap,
it's got Magsafe, runs High Sierra no problem, has plenty of connecting
ports and a functional DVD writer.

I donated my old one to my daughter a few weeks ago... but missed it so
much I sourced one from eBay. Usual going price is currently ~£100-120
(apart from some silly ones) - but I got one for £75 as it only had 2Gb
of ram, (I have stacks of it) a non working charger (I still have
several of these) and an old HD - I had the 250Gb SSD that I took out of
the one I gave to my lass.

It is in great condition and after swapping the electronic stuff and
blowing the dust out of it - its running brilliantly and still pretty
quick - well pleased with my new "backup" machine.

John

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<t5u8n0$17pm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8499&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8499

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:29:36 +0100
 by: Mark - Mon, 16 May 2022 19:29 UTC

On 2022-05-16 17:57:14 +0000, jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> said:

> On 15/05/2022 23:51, David Brooks wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Although no longer a student, funds are still tight for my number 2 grandson.
>> He's asked me whether he should opt for a new Windows laptop or buy an
>> Apple machine.
>> I've suggested he might consider a refurbished or pre-owned Apple
>> MacBook rather than a brand new M1 chip machine.
>> What advantages, in simple terms, does a MacBook Pro have over a MacBook Air?
>>
>> Any and all advice welcomed. TIA
>>

> I am still of the opinion that the 13" mid-2012 Macbook Pro is the
> Apple laptop sweet spot and is still a great "starter" machine :-)
>
> You can install a large SSD, add extra Ram, do a cheap battery swap,
> it's got Magsafe, runs High Sierra no problem, has plenty of connecting
> ports and a functional DVD writer.
>
> I donated my old one to my daughter a few weeks ago... but missed it so
> much I sourced one from eBay. Usual going price is currently ~£100-120
> (apart from some silly ones) - but I got one for £75 as it only had 2Gb
> of ram, (I have stacks of it) a non working charger (I still have
> several of these) and an old HD - I had the 250Gb SSD that I took out
> of the one I gave to my lass.
>
> It is in great condition and after swapping the electronic stuff and
> blowing the dust out of it - its running brilliantly and still pretty
> quick - well pleased with my new "backup" machine.
>
> John

I've got one here. Been running Mojave on it nice & smoothly for about
18 months now.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<t5ucdc$o1c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8500&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8500

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 21:32:42 +0100
 by: jbrennand - Mon, 16 May 2022 20:32 UTC

On 16/05/2022 20:29, Mark wrote:
> On 2022-05-16 17:57:14 +0000, jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> said:
>
>> On 15/05/2022 23:51, David Brooks wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Although no longer a student, funds are still tight for my number 2
>>> grandson.
>>> He's asked me whether he should opt for a new Windows laptop or buy
>>> an Apple machine.
>>> I've suggested he might consider a refurbished or pre-owned Apple
>>> MacBook rather than a brand new M1 chip machine.
>>> What advantages, in simple terms, does a MacBook Pro have over a
>>> MacBook Air?
>>>
>>> Any and all advice welcomed. TIA
>>>

>> I am still of the opinion that the 13" mid-2012 Macbook Pro is the
>> Apple laptop sweet spot and is still a great "starter" machine :-)
>>
>> You can install a large SSD, add extra Ram, do a cheap battery swap,
>> it's got Magsafe, runs High Sierra no problem, has plenty of
>> connecting ports and a functional DVD writer.
>>
>> I donated my old one to my daughter a few weeks ago... but missed it
>> so much I sourced one from eBay.  Usual going price is currently
>> ~£100-120 (apart from some silly ones) - but I got one for £75 as it
>> only had 2Gb of ram, (I have stacks of it) a non working charger (I
>> still have several of these) and an old HD - I had the 250Gb SSD that
>> I took out of the one I gave to my lass.
>>
>> It is in great condition and after swapping the electronic stuff and
>> blowing the dust out of it - its running brilliantly and still pretty
>> quick  - well pleased with my new "backup" machine.
>>
>> John
>
> I've got one here. Been running Mojave on it nice & smoothly for about
> 18 months now.
Should run Catalina too. Not sure about updating mine :-)

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<t5udvh$1flu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8501&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8501

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 21:59:29 +0100
 by: Mark - Mon, 16 May 2022 20:59 UTC

On 2022-05-16 20:32:42 +0000, jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> said:

> On 16/05/2022 20:29, Mark wrote:

>>> I am still of the opinion that the 13" mid-2012 Macbook Pro is the
>>> Apple laptop sweet spot and is still a great "starter" machine :-)
>>>
>>> You can install a large SSD, add extra Ram, do a cheap battery swap,
>>> it's got Magsafe, runs High Sierra no problem, has plenty of connecting
>>> ports and a functional DVD writer.
>>>
>>> I donated my old one to my daughter a few weeks ago... but missed it so
>>> much I sourced one from eBay.  Usual going price is currently ~£100-120
>>> (apart from some silly ones) - but I got one for £75 as it only had 2Gb
>>> of ram, (I have stacks of it) a non working charger (I still have
>>> several of these) and an old HD - I had the 250Gb SSD that I took out
>>> of the one I gave to my lass.
>>>
>>> It is in great condition and after swapping the electronic stuff and
>>> blowing the dust out of it - its running brilliantly and still pretty
>>> quick  - well pleased with my new "backup" machine.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> I've got one here. Been running Mojave on it nice & smoothly for about
>> 18 months now.
> Should run Catalina too. Not sure about updating mine :-)

Oh yes, but then there's the whole 64 bit thing to think about!
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<WOzgK.1058410$sb1.456207@fx11.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8503&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8503

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DGB...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 22:59:18 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 16 May 2022 21:59 UTC

On 16/05/2022 18:57, jbrennand wrote:
> On 15/05/2022 23:51, David Brooks wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Although no longer a student, funds are still tight for my number 2
>> grandson.
>> He's asked me whether he should opt for a new Windows laptop or buy an
>> Apple machine.
>> I've suggested he might consider a refurbished or pre-owned Apple
>> MacBook rather than a brand new M1 chip machine.
>> What advantages, in simple terms, does a MacBook Pro have over a
>> MacBook Air?
>>
>> Any and all advice welcomed. TIA
>>

> I am still of the opinion that the 13" mid-2012 Macbook Pro is the Apple
> laptop sweet spot and is still a great "starter" machine :-)
>
> You can install a large SSD, add extra Ram, do a cheap battery swap,
> it's got Magsafe, runs High Sierra no problem, has plenty of connecting
> ports and a functional DVD writer.
>
> I donated my old one to my daughter a few weeks ago... but missed it so
> much I sourced one from eBay.  Usual going price is currently ~£100-120
> (apart from some silly ones) - but I got one for £75 as it only had 2Gb
> of ram, (I have stacks of it) a non working charger (I still have
> several of these) and an old HD - I had the 250Gb SSD that I took out of
> the one I gave to my lass.
>
> It is in great condition and after swapping the electronic stuff and
> blowing the dust out of it - its running brilliantly and still pretty
> quick  - well pleased with my new "backup" machine.

Many thanks for your words of wisdom, John.

I hope your daughter is pleased and that the machine will provide a year
or two (or more!) of trouble-free service.

Buying an old machine remains an option, but the fact that his partner
already has an M1 MacBook Air https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-air/
I suspect that the temptation to 'splash out' may be too much to resist!
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air

David

Re: Advice for my grandson. Can you help, please?

<t5uqhj$fja$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8504&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8504

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 01:33:55 +0100
 by: jbrennand - Tue, 17 May 2022 00:33 UTC

On 16/05/2022 22:59, David Brooks wrote:

> Buying an old machine remains an option, but the fact that his partner
> already has an M1 MacBook Air
>
> David

So do I David... but it didn't stop me :-)

JohnB