I wish I was a sex-starved manicurist found dead in the Bronx!!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

SubjectAuthor
* What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onJNugent
+* Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onSpike
+* Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onSpike
+* Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onJNugent
`- Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) onswldx...@gmail.com

1
What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

<7c143f10-7e41-42db-9cde-0980dc6a041cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8485&group=uk.rec.cycling#8485

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 02:50:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on
camera while cycling
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:50 UTC

As part of our Near Miss of the Day series, which last week passed its 100th post – testimony to how many cyclists now film their rides as well as to the extent of poor driving – we’re often asked how people should go about reporting incidents they capture on camera while cycling.

There is something of a postcode lottery in operation here, depending on where the incident you wish to report happened.
What's your local police force policy on video evidence?

There are 45 police forces (link is external) operating across the United Kingdom, and their approaches to video evidence gathered by members of the public varies.

Late last year, the four police forces operating in Wales launched Operation Snap, unveiling a website (link is external) that allows people to submit photographic and video evidence and provides a national standard.

But as Sam Jones of Cycling UK points out in this post on the Guardian Bike Blog (link is external), there is no such standard operating across the United Kingdom as a whole.

So, wherever you live, if you are using a camera to film your ride, familiarise yourself with your local police force’s policy regarding photographic and video evidence provided by the public.

Bear in mind, too, that the roads you ride on may be part of another force’s territory.

The rules can be strict. The Metropolitan Police, for example, allows you to report road traffic incidents online, but if you are submitting video evidence (which must be provided within 48 hours), you will need to make a statement at a police station.

The footage will also need to be unedited and show two minutes either side of the incident that is being reported, and in the Met’s case, they will ask you to remove it from any websites or social media channels you have submitted it to.

Wherever you are, the clearer the footage, the better it will be as evidence of what happened, so keep your camera clean and, of course, charged.

If you regularly watch videos captured by other cyclists on Britain’s roads, you’ll notice that often they will say the registration of the vehicle involved out loud – a good back-up in case it is difficult to read from the footage.
Can you get a witness?

As with any road traffic incident, whether caught on film or not, having independent witnesses is very helpful, and is even required by some forces.

Also, while any cyclist knows that there is nothing like a near miss or collision to get the adrenalin pumping, try to keep calm – we’ve seen cases where riders have been assaulted by motorists after remonstrating with them, which can also in rare cases lead to police rejecting footage.

Even where a force does accept video evidence, there’s the question of whether they will act on it, and, we’re aware that some cyclists don’t send in footage of road traffic incidents now due to past experience.

That may be down to shortage of staff or other resources, or prioritising other types of crime over what may be seen as ‘minor’ motoring offences.

At the same time, we’ve seen police forces that do highlight cycle safety on social media – West Midlands Police and Surrey Police’s road policing units are two striking examples – take interest in footage posted there and even ensure it is investigated properly.

Do you use a camera to record your ride and if so what is your experience, if any, of submitting footage to the police? Let us know in the comments below, and remember to state which police force it was.

https://road.cc/content/news/237916-what-do-if-you-capture-near-miss-or-close-pass-or-worse-camera-while-cycling

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while fairy-cycling

<jc56maFmi6eU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8494&group=uk.rec.cycling#8494

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
camera while fairy-cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:16:59 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:16 UTC

On 18/04/2022 10:50 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
>
> That may be down to shortage of staff or other resources, or prioritising other types of crime over what may be seen as ‘minor’ motoring offences.
>
> At the same time, we’ve seen police forces that do highlight fairy-cycle safety on social media – West Midlands Police and Surrey Police’s road policing units are two striking examples – take interest in footage posted there and even ensure it is investigated properly.
>
> Do you use a camera to record your ride and if so what is your experience, if any, of submitting footage to the police? Let us know in the comments below, and remember to state which police force it was.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/237916-what-do-if-you-capture-near-miss-or-close-pass-or-worse-camera-while-cycling

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while fairy-cycling

<jc5dckFntqiU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8501&group=uk.rec.cycling#8501

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
camera while fairy-cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:11:17 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:11 UTC

On 18/04/2022 13:16, JNugent wrote:

> On 18/04/2022 10:50 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> As part of our Non-Event of the Day series, which last decade passed its 100th post – testimony to how many fairy-cyclists now film their rides as well as to the extent of poor driving – we’re often asked how people should go about reporting incidents they capture on camera while fairy-cycling.

When their cameras show their own poor riding, do they report themselves?

--
Spike

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

<f9bbd319-d241-4ae4-97c1-7596f77d3b12n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8510&group=uk.rec.cycling#8510

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:07:03 -0700 (PDT)
camera while cycling
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:07 UTC

Eton Rifle | 377 posts | 3 years ago
0 likes
Avon & Somerset plod are pretty good. Click on a link, add some details, upload camera footage and that's it. Reported some wanker taxi driver last weekend and the cops got back to me within a few days, saying that they had sent warning letters to the registered keeper and the taxi licensing authority.

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while fairy-cycling

<jc5gtoFoifiU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8511&group=uk.rec.cycling#8511

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
camera while fairy-cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:11:37 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:11 UTC

On 18/04/2022 04:11 pm, Spike wrote:

> On 18/04/2022 13:16, JNugent wrote:
>
>> On 18/04/2022 10:50 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> As part of our Non-Event of the Day series, which last decade passed its 100th post – testimony to how many fairy-cyclists now film their rides as well as to the extent of poor driving – we’re often asked how people should go about reporting incidents they capture on camera while fairy-cycling.
>
> When their cameras show their own poor riding, do they report themselves?

Mason once posted a link to a video of himself fairy-riding on the
footway and going around a traffic island in the wrong direction.

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

<eacf38ea-536c-4daf-92a6-3b4041afacdcn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8515&group=uk.rec.cycling#8515

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:18:08 -0700 (PDT)
camera while cycling
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:18 UTC

hawkinspeter replied to wtjs | 8658 posts | 1 year ago
0 likes
If you don't think the police handled it properly (and I agree that it sounds very poor) then raise a complaint. It may not change the outcome, but complaints show up in the forces' KPIs and at some point a senior police officer is likely to question why they're getting so many complaints.

By the way, with the collision, did the driver stop to exchange details? If not, it's a clear offense.

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

<jc5ilfFos9mU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8519&group=uk.rec.cycling#8519

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
camera while cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:41:20 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:41 UTC

On 18/04/2022 16:07, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Avon & Somerset plod are pretty good. Click on a link, add some details, upload camera footage and that's it. Reported some wanker taxi driver last weekend and the cops got back to me within a few days, saying that they had sent warning letters to the registered keeper and the taxi licensing authority.

Reminds me of the unofficial rule for the Americans in Korea during
their war.

--
Spike

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

<jc5iptFos9mU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8521&group=uk.rec.cycling#8521

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
camera while cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:43:42 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:43 UTC

On 18/04/2022 16:18, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> By the way, with the collision, did the driver stop to exchange details? If not, it's a clear offense.

And it's an offence, as well.

--
Spike

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

<767e2603-2905-450d-8e81-7869023df050n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8522&group=uk.rec.cycling#8522

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:44:45 -0700 (PDT)
camera while cycling
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:44 UTC

Rob the Commuter | 12 posts | 4 years ago
2 likes

The Police here in Leeds could do better

I was in a bike lane passing slow moving traffic when a car I was about to pass swerved into the bike lane and stopped dead. I hit the near side and came off. I crossed the footway in the air and landed in shrubbery. The car drove off.

I had the whole thing on video. I burned it to a disk., but when I reported the incident the police refused to accept the disc. To be fair, they did trace the driver and gave me his details, but took no action against him because they had no evidence, even though I had subsequently sent the video in to their website.

Another incident I filmed and reported was a cyclist in front, again in a bike lane, passing an artic that was almost stopped, when without warning, the artic turned left. How the guy missed the truck I will never know, but it was close. Once again... no action

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

<jc5ltuFpgurU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8523&group=uk.rec.cycling#8523

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
camera while cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:37:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:37 UTC

> Rob the Commuter | 12 posts | 4 years ago

> The Police here in Leeds could do better

> I was in a bike lane passing slow moving traffic when a car I was about to pass swerved into the bike lane and stopped dead. I hit the near side and came off. I crossed the footway in the air and landed in shrubbery. The car drove off.

> I had the whole thing on video. I burned it to a disk., but when I reported the incident the police refused to accept the disc. To be fair, they did trace the driver and gave me his details, but took no action against him because they had no evidence, even though I had subsequently sent the video in to their website.

> Another incident I filmed and reported was a cyclist in front, again in a bike lane, passing an artic that was almost stopped, when without warning, the artic turned left. How the guy missed the truck I will never know, but it was close. Once again... no action

That beautifully illustrates the reason why you should never overtake on
the nearside, not even in slow-moving traffic.

Re: What to do if you capture a near miss or close pass (or worse) on camera while cycling

<f51fe1d6-055e-42f7-8939-5fd95824e501n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8524&group=uk.rec.cycling#8524

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
camera while cycling
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:38 UTC

alexls replied to ChrisB200SX | 114 posts | 1 year ago
0 likes
I have to disagree. TVP have sent a letter to every single one of my reports, barring one where there was no evidence I was travelling at over 10mph when overtaken across solid whites (since when I have included GPS coordinates and speedo on the videos). I've had one NIP so far, and am expecting another from a couple of days ago.