24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: vehicle servicing

SubjectAuthor
* vehicle servicingYosemite Sam
+- vehicle servicingMax
+* vehicle servicingPeter Jason
|+* vehicle servicingDaryl
||`- vehicle servicingNoddy
|`* vehicle servicingYosemite Sam
| `* vehicle servicingXeno
|  `* vehicle servicingYosemite Sam
|   `* vehicle servicingXeno
|    `- vehicle servicingYosemite Sam
`* vehicle servicingClocky
 `* vehicle servicingjonz
  +* vehicle servicingYosemite Sam
  |`* vehicle servicingClocky
  | `* vehicle servicingYosemite Sam
  |  `- vehicle servicingYosemite Sam
  `* vehicle servicingNoddy
   `- vehicle servicingClocky

1
vehicle servicing

<j1pvpvFsmmmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8465&group=aus.cars#8465

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: vehicle servicing
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:32:19 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 22:32 UTC

Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering... in
'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service always
involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and computer
control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out, or even
something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days really
nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement, belt and
hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled replacements like
timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a nutshell.. should anyone
expect their car to drive any better after a routine service? I really
didn't notice any difference in performance after the service than before.

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust
by the enormous weight of his lies" - Alvey on Derro

Re: vehicle servicing

<sp8n2j$1cci$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8469&group=aus.cars#8469

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: vehicle servicing
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:04:35 +1100
 by: Max - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 00:04 UTC

On 14/12/2021 9:32 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering... in
> 'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service always
> involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and computer
> control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out, or even
> something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days really
> nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement, belt and
> hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled replacements like
> timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a nutshell.. should anyone
> expect their car to drive any better after a routine service? I really
> didn't notice any difference in performance after the service than before.

I always find the wheel alignment makes the car run more smoothly on the
road.

Re: vehicle servicing

<auofrgtdf8v949ihurr1sk7c5ck6hohibo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8470&group=aus.cars#8470

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:26:38 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 00:26 UTC

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:32:19 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com>
wrote:

>Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering... in
>'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service always
>involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and computer
>control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out, or even
>something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days really
>nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement, belt and
>hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled replacements like
>timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a nutshell.. should anyone
>expect their car to drive any better after a routine service? I really
>didn't notice any difference in performance after the service than before.

Eventually oil degrades and produces oxidation products able to
increase wear on components.
https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driving/car-servicing/resources/how-oil-works-in-a-cars-engine

Presumably this applies to wheel bearings too.

Re: vehicle servicing

<sp8q2h$o80$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8471&group=aus.cars#8471

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:55:45 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 00:55 UTC

On 14/12/2021 6:32 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering... in
> 'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service always
> involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and computer
> control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out, or even
> something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days really
> nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement, belt and
> hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled replacements like
> timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a nutshell.. should anyone
> expect their car to drive any better after a routine service? I really
> didn't notice any difference in performance after the service than before.

Not particularly. Sometimes service bulletins or recalls need to be
applied when you have your car serviced which might address driveability
issues like transmission shift points or engine performance or idle
speed which you might notice after the service.

You may notice a small change if the oil has been changed, or in the
longer term. Some engines have very specific requirements for optimum
performance and longevity and some backyard hack operation with
unqualified staff might put in whatever bulk multigrade was on special
that month with no regard to specific requirements.

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1q8i3Fu7r3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8472&group=aus.cars#8472

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:58:41 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 00:58 UTC

On 14/12/21 11:26 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:32:19 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering... in
>> 'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service always
>> involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and computer
>> control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out, or even
>> something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days really
>> nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement, belt and
>> hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled replacements like
>> timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a nutshell.. should anyone
>> expect their car to drive any better after a routine service? I really
>> didn't notice any difference in performance after the service than before.
>
> Eventually oil degrades and produces oxidation products able to
> increase wear on components.
> https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driving/car-servicing/resources/how-oil-works-in-a-cars-engine
>
> Presumably this applies to wheel bearings too.

Which has nothing to do with his question other than showing one reason
why regular servicing is necessary.
If Felix's car was dealer serviced sometimes they do computer upgrades
or fixes at a service which may or may not make a noticeable difference
to the way a car drives.
Unless they fixed a fault during the service its generally unlikely that
the driver will notice any difference which is a good thing in that it
generally means that there was nothing wrong.

--
Daryl

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1q9ahFubjjU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8475&group=aus.cars#8475

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:14:46 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 01:14 UTC

On 14/12/2021 11:26 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:32:19 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering... in
>> 'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service always
>> involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and computer
>> control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out, or even
>> something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days really
>> nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement, belt and
>> hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled replacements like
>> timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a nutshell.. should anyone
>> expect their car to drive any better after a routine service? I really
>> didn't notice any difference in performance after the service than before.
> Eventually oil degrades and produces oxidation products able to
> increase wear on components.
> https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driving/car-servicing/resources/how-oil-works-in-a-cars-engine
>
> Presumably this applies to wheel bearings too.

sure, but I was talking about tuning the engine

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1q9v1FugaqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8477&group=aus.cars#8477

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:22:39 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 01:22 UTC

On 14/12/21 12:14 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 11:26 am, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:32:19 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering... in
>>> 'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service always
>>> involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and computer
>>> control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out, or even
>>> something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days really
>>> nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement, belt and
>>> hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled replacements like
>>> timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a nutshell.. should anyone
>>> expect their car to drive any better after a routine service? I really
>>> didn't notice any difference in performance after the service than
>>> before.
>> Eventually oil degrades and produces oxidation products able to
>> increase wear on components.
>> https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driving/car-servicing/resources/how-oil-works-in-a-cars-engine
>>

>> Presumably this applies to wheel bearings too.
>>

> sure, but I was talking about tuning the engine

The engines are, for want of a better term, self tuning. Platinum spark
plugs last 100k klm, no points to burn out or alter timing. The ECU
continually adjusts ign timing and fuel mixture on the fly and
compensates for degrading components through feedback loops. In effect,
engines are now self tuning. All you can do service wise is change
filters and do some general check of items like fuel trims and look for
error codes.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: vehicle servicing

<sp9c1o$nbq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8480&group=aus.cars#8480

From: jon...@nothere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:02:30 +1100
 by: jonz - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 06:02 UTC

On 12/14/2021 11:55 AM, Clocky wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 6:32 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>
>> Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering...
>> in 'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service
>> always involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and
>> computer control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out,
>> or even something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days
>> really nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement,
>> belt and hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled
>> replacements like timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a
>> nutshell.. should anyone expect their car to drive any better after a
>> routine service? I really didn't notice any difference in performance
>> after the service than before.
>>

> Not particularly. Sometimes service bulletins or recalls need to be
> applied when you have your car serviced which might address
> driveability issues like transmission shift points or engine
> performance or idle speed which you might notice after the service.
>
> You may notice a small change if the oil has been changed, or in the
> longer term. Some engines have very specific requirements for optimum
> performance and longevity and some backyard hack operation with
> unqualified staff might put in whatever bulk multigrade was on special
> that month with no regard to specific requirements.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Therefore, stay the fuck away from windscreens o'ticky and his ilk!.

--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." — Gene

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1r3doF4e04U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8483&group=aus.cars#8483

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:40:13 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:40 UTC

On 14/12/2021 12:22 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 14/12/21 12:14 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>> On 14/12/2021 11:26 am, Peter Jason wrote:

>>> Eventually oil degrades and produces oxidation products able to
>>> increase wear on components.
>>> https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driving/car-servicing/resources/how-oil-works-in-a-cars-engine
>>>

>>> Presumably this applies to wheel bearings too.
>>>

>> sure, but I was talking about tuning the engine
>>
> The engines are, for want of a better term, self tuning. Platinum
> spark plugs last 100k klm, no points to burn out or alter timing. The
> ECU continually adjusts ign timing and fuel mixture on the fly and
> compensates for degrading components through feedback loops. In
> effect, engines are now self tuning. All you can do service wise is
> change filters and do some general check of items like fuel trims and
> look for error codes.

so car servicing on modern cars is basically just an oil and filter
change until a major service is required. easy money for dealers.

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1r3ifF4e04U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8484&group=aus.cars#8484

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:42:43 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:42 UTC

On 14/12/2021 5:02 pm, jonz wrote:
> On 12/14/2021 11:55 AM, Clocky wrote:
>> On 14/12/2021 6:32 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>>
>>> Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering...
>>> in 'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service
>>> always involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and
>>> computer control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out,
>>> or even something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days
>>> really nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement,
>>> belt and hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled
>>> replacements like timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a
>>> nutshell.. should anyone expect their car to drive any better after
>>> a routine service? I really didn't notice any difference in
>>> performance after the service than before.
>>>

>> Not particularly. Sometimes service bulletins or recalls need to be
>> applied when you have your car serviced which might address
>> driveability issues like transmission shift points or engine
>> performance or idle speed which you might notice after the service.
>>
>> You may notice a small change if the oil has been changed, or in the
>> longer term. Some engines have very specific requirements for optimum
>> performance and longevity and some backyard hack operation with
>> unqualified staff might put in whatever bulk multigrade was on
>> special that month with no regard to specific requirements.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Therefore, stay the fuck away from windscreens o'ticky and his ilk!.

clocky is a qualified mechanic unlike the shonk that you support

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: vehicle servicing

<sp9m7v$br7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8485&group=aus.cars#8485

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:56:25 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:56 UTC

On 14/12/2021 4:42 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 5:02 pm, jonz wrote:

>>> Not particularly. Sometimes service bulletins or recalls need to be
>>> applied when you have your car serviced which might address
>>> driveability issues like transmission shift points or engine
>>> performance or idle speed which you might notice after the service.
>>>
>>> You may notice a small change if the oil has been changed, or in the
>>> longer term. Some engines have very specific requirements for optimum
>>> performance and longevity and some backyard hack operation with
>>> unqualified staff might put in whatever bulk multigrade was on
>>> special that month with no regard to specific requirements.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>  Therefore, stay the fuck away from windscreens o'ticky and his ilk!.
>>

> clocky is a qualified mechanic unlike the shonk that you support

Is that all they have? A mistake on windscreen construction? It's not
like I claimed to be a glazier.

Jonz OTOH was too dumb to complete an automotive apprenticeship. Ask him
about that :-)

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1r5mnF4qkoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8487&group=aus.cars#8487

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:19:08 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:19 UTC

On 14/12/2021 7:56 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 4:42 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>>  Therefore, stay the fuck away from windscreens o'ticky and his ilk!.
>>>

>> clocky is a qualified mechanic unlike the shonk you support
>>

> Is that all they have? A mistake on windscreen construction? It's not
> like I claimed to be a glazier.
>
> Jonz OTOH was too dumb to complete an automotive apprenticeship. Ask
> him about that :-)

hmmm...

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1r72aF54uoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8488&group=aus.cars#8488

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:42:20 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:42 UTC

On 14/12/2021 8:19 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 7:56 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> clocky is a qualified mechanic unlike the shonk you support
>>>

>> Is that all they have? A mistake on windscreen construction? It's not
>> like I claimed to be a glazier.

yeah, it's not like you claimed to be a qualified motor mechanic and
weren't  :)

>> Jonz OTOH was too dumb to complete an automotive apprenticeship. Ask
>> him about that :-)
>>

> hmmm...

seems he should consider keeping his cake hole shut. people in glass
houses, and all that..

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1r88tF5bl0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8489&group=aus.cars#8489

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:59:55 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:59 UTC

On 14/12/21 7:40 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 12:22 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> sure, but I was talking about tuning the engine
>>>
>> The engines are, for want of a better term, self tuning. Platinum
>> spark plugs last 100k klm, no points to burn out or alter timing. The
>> ECU continually adjusts ign timing and fuel mixture on the fly and
>> compensates for degrading components through feedback loops. In
>> effect, engines are now self tuning. All you can do service wise is
>> change filters and do some general check of items like fuel trims and
>> look for error codes.
>>

> so car servicing on modern cars is basically just an oil and filter
> change until a major service is required. easy money for dealers.

Pretty much. The difference is the other *checks* and whether they
actually get done. It behoves the owner to look through the service
schedule to see what is being done and to ensure that it does get done
as scheduled or earlier if operating conditions demand it. Of course,
that relies on the owner having a clue. Houston, we have a problem.

Then there are extras that may not be required - like a trans fluid
change. I did mine at 100k even though there is no call for it on the
service schedule. But that's because I'm not a fan of the concept of
*lifelong fluid*. Which reminds me, I need to do a radiator flush on
mine too, bought the coolant, genuine Toyota coolant, just need to get a
*round tuit*.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: vehicle servicing

<sp9qo1$enj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8490&group=aus.cars#8490

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:13:21 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 10:13 UTC

On 14/12/2021 5:02 pm, jonz wrote:
> On 12/14/2021 11:55 AM, Clocky wrote:

>> You may notice a small change if the oil has been changed, or in the
>> longer term. Some engines have very specific requirements for optimum
>> performance and longevity and some backyard hack operation with
>> unqualified staff might put in whatever bulk multigrade was on special
>> that month with no regard to specific requirements.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Therefore, stay the fuck away from windscreens o'ticky and his ilk!.

Lol :)

Can't say I've ever noticed an engine's performance be affected in any
way with a change of oil, and I would imagine any engine that was so
fragile as to be so affected would be one you wouldn't want to own.

They do some strange shit over in the West.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: vehicle servicing

<sp9qt3$enj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8491&group=aus.cars#8491

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:16:03 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 10:16 UTC

On 14/12/2021 11:58 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 14/12/21 11:26 am, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 09:32:19 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@invalid.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Just recently had the Lancer serviced, but I can't help wondering... in
>>> 'olden days' when cars had carbys, and points, etc., a service always
>>> involved a 'tune up'. But today with fuel injection and computer
>>> control, how much ' tune up' is necessary, or carried out, or even
>>> something that can be done? IOW is car servicing these days really
>>> nothing more than lubricant and fluid checks and replacement, belt and
>>> hose checks, and so on, until there are scheduled replacements like
>>> timing belts, spark plugs, etc.,? So in a nutshell.. should anyone
>>> expect their car to drive any better after a routine service? I really
>>> didn't notice any difference in performance after the service than
>>> before.
>>
>> Eventually oil degrades and produces oxidation products able to
>> increase wear on components.
>> https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driving/car-servicing/resources/how-oil-works-in-a-cars-engine
>>

>> Presumably this applies to wheel bearings too.
>>
> Which has nothing to do with his question other than showing one reason
> why regular servicing is necessary.

Indeed.

> If Felix's car was dealer serviced sometimes they do computer upgrades
> or fixes at a service which may or may not make a noticeable difference
> to the way a car drives.

Yep. It's all too common these days. Modern car owners are little more
than beta testers, with continued "upgrades" and "Patches" being applied
all the time.

> Unless they fixed a fault during the service its generally unlikely that
> the driver will notice any difference which is a good thing in that it
> generally means that there was nothing wrong.

I would have thought most people were aware of this.

Not Felix apparently.....

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: vehicle servicing

<spa3ta$erc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8497&group=aus.cars#8497

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:49:40 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:49 UTC

On 14/12/2021 6:13 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 5:02 pm, jonz wrote:
>> On 12/14/2021 11:55 AM, Clocky wrote:
>
>>> You may notice a small change if the oil has been changed, or in the
>>> longer term. Some engines have very specific requirements for optimum
>>> performance and longevity and some backyard hack operation with
>>> unqualified staff might put in whatever bulk multigrade was on
>>> special that month with no regard to specific requirements.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>   Therefore, stay the fuck away from windscreens o'ticky and his ilk!.
>
> Lol :)
>
> Can't say I've ever noticed an engine's performance be affected in any
> way with a change of oil, and I would imagine any engine that was so
> fragile as to be so affected would be one you wouldn't want to own.

I rest my case. Putting the wrong oil in a vehicle can most certainly
have a detrimental effect, that you think your special of the week
multigrade is suitable for all engines just proves that you shouldn't
let anywhere near a vehicle. Manufacturers know this, that's why
incompetent frauds like you can't service vehicles under warranty
without risking voiding the warranty.

> They do some strange shit over in the West.

Licensing qualified people isn't strange, it keeps incompetents like you
out of the trade.

That evidently can only ever be a good thing :-)

Re: vehicle servicing

<j1rintF7abqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8499&group=aus.cars#8499

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 00:01:35 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 13:01 UTC

On 14/12/2021 8:59 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 14/12/21 7:40 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> The engines are, for want of a better term, self tuning. Platinum
>>> spark plugs last 100k klm, no points to burn out or alter timing.
>>> The ECU continually adjusts ign timing and fuel mixture on the fly
>>> and compensates for degrading components through feedback loops. In
>>> effect, engines are now self tuning. All you can do service wise is
>>> change filters and do some general check of items like fuel trims
>>> and look for error codes.
>>>

>> so car servicing on modern cars is basically just an oil and filter
>> change until a major service is required. easy money for dealers.
>>
> Pretty much. The difference is the other *checks* and whether they
> actually get done. It behoves the owner to look through the service
> schedule to see what is being done and to ensure that it does get done
> as scheduled or earlier if operating conditions demand it. Of course,
> that relies on the owner having a clue. Houston, we have a problem.
>
> Then there are extras that may not be required - like a trans fluid
> change. I did mine at 100k even though there is no call for it on the
> service schedule. But that's because I'm not a fan of the concept of
> *lifelong fluid*. Which reminds me, I need to do a radiator flush on
> mine too, bought the coolant, genuine Toyota coolant, just need to get
> a *round tuit*.

here's what was done. http://austek.info/pics/service.jpg I see they
changed the brake fluid. ($230 fixed price servicing for 3 years)