Your supervisor is thinking about you.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changes’:

SubjectAuthor
* ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changeswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the HighwaJNugent
+* Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code chswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the HighwaySpike
| `- Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the HighwaJNugent
+- Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code chswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code chswldx...@gmail.com

1
‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changes’:

<b833ed6b-bfa2-43e7-925f-99d34963367cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8531&group=uk.rec.cycling#8531

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ‘It’s_gotten_worse_since_the_Highway_Code_change
s’:_
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:22 UTC

The chairperson of an Essex cycling club has claimed that experienced club members have moved to Suffolk because they ‘feared for their lives’ while riding their bikes on the county’s roads.

Russell Tribley, a coach at Chelmer Cycling Club, also told BBC Essex that the recent revisions to the Highway Code have coincided with more instances of aggressive driving and close passes.

Tribley was speaking as part of a segment on cycling in the county on Sonia Watson’s BBC Essex radio programme (link is external) this morning..

Watson also interviewed road.cc contributor Laura Laker, who in a series of articles for the site has noted the inherent dangers of cycling and lack of police numbers on what she calls “some of the country’s most dangerous roads”, as Essex gears up to host the RideLondon 100 leisure event this year, alongside the three-day women’s WorldTour race.

“I would love to cycle on Essex roads,” Laker told Watson, “and I’m sure Essex residents don’t necessarily want to take the car for every journey… but something does need to change.

“I think infrastructure is really important. We need safe streets, cycle lanes, but we also need education from the police. The police are just drastically under resourced in Essex. I spoke to the head of roads policing in Essex and he said there were seven police officers across the 5,000 miles of Essex roads on ‘a good day’, and it’s just not enough.

“There are people using their mobile phones at the wheel, and if you’re not caught, the standard just drops and drops, and that’s what we’ve seen in Essex unfortunately.”

Concurring with Laker’s view of the situation on Essex roads, Tribley argued that the recent revisions to the Highway Code, designed to protect the most vulnerable road users, have done little to help the county’s cyclists.

“Changes to the Highway Code haven’t helped,” he said. “In fact, this year we feel it’s gotten worse – the aggression of some drivers, not everybody obviously, has gotten worse.

“There is more close passing than ever; wing (sic) mirrors clipping the elbows of our club riders when riding single file. And oncoming riders on the Essex country lanes. The lanes are narrow – absolutely fantastic to cycle in, this weekend there were lots of cyclists out on the roads – but oncoming cars not slowing down, forcing you into the verges.."

The coach also claimed that the levels of dangerous driving in Essex have forced experienced cyclists to move out of the county, as well as having a detrimental impact on those who took up cycling over the past decade.

He said: “We’ve had two members recently, experienced cyclists, who have actually sold up and moved to Suffolk because they’re just fed up with the driving standards and fearing for their safety on the Essex roads. They’ve moved to Suffolk primarily because they fear for their lives cycling.

“After the 2012 Olympics and the 2014 Tour de France coming to Essex, we saw a massive increase in cycling from that legacy, and our cycling club doubled in membership. But it’s not a coincidence that since that initial wave – and again, with the beginning of the pandemic – those numbers have tailed off. And again, I think it’s that fear factor.”

Unsurprisingly, quite a few listeners texted in to criticise the behaviour of cyclists in Essex, with one texter claiming that cyclists “are the most selfish people on the roads”.

However, one non-cyclist wrote in to point out that dangerous driving in the county not only affects cyclists, but horse riders and pedestrians as well, and argued that “we take our lives in our hands when we leave the front drive”.

Calling all Essex cyclists in the comments – what do you think? Do you agree with Russell? Have you noticed an increase in close passes and dangerous driving since the Highway Code changes? Let us know.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-19-april-2022-292029

Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changes’:

<jc7lf8F6gigU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8534&group=uk.rec.cycling#8534

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_‘It’s_gotten_worse_since_the_Highwa
y Code changes’:
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:41:29 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:41 UTC

On 19/04/2022 10:22 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> The chairperson of an Essex fairy-cycling club has claimed that experienced club members have moved to Suffolk because they ‘feared for their lives’ while riding their fairy-bikes on the county’s roads.
>
> Russell Tribley, a coach at Chelmer Fairy-Cycling Club, also told BBC Essex that the recent revisions to the Highway Code have coincided with more instances of aggressive driving and close passes.
>
> Tribley was speaking as part of a segment on fairy-cycling in the county on Sonia Watson’s BBC Essex radio programme (link is external) this morning.
>
> Watson also interviewed road.cc contributor Laura Laker,

Ha ha!

> ... who in a series of articles for the site has noted the inherent dangers of fairy-cycling and lack of police numbers on what she calls “some of the country’s most dangerous roads”, as Essex gears up to host the RideLondon 100 leisure event this year, alongside the three-day women’s WorldTour race.
>
> “I would love to fairy-cycle on Essex roads,” Laker told Watson, “and I’m sure Essex residents don’t necessarily want to take the car for every journey… but something does need to change.
>
> “I think infrastructure is really important. We need safe streets, fairy-cycle lanes, but we also need education from the police. The police are just drastically under resourced in Essex. I spoke to the head of roads policing in Essex and he said there were seven police officers across the 5,000 miles of Essex roads on ‘a good day’, and it’s just not enough.
>
> “There are people using their mobile phones at the wheel, and if you’re not caught, the standard just drops and drops, and that’s what we’ve seen in Essex unfortunately.”
>
> Concurring with Laker’s view of the situation on Essex roads, Tribley argued that the recent revisions to the Highway Code, designed to protect the most vulnerable road users, have done little to help the county’s fairy-cyclists.
>
> “Changes to the Highway Code haven’t helped,” he said. “In fact, this year we feel it’s gotten worse – the aggression of some drivers, not everybody obviously, has gotten worse.

"Changes to the Highway Code haven’t helped"?

Really?

> “There is more close passing than ever; wing (sic) mirrors clipping the elbows of our club fairy-riders when riding single file. And oncoming fairy-riders on the Essex country lanes. The lanes are narrow – absolutely fantastic to fairy-cycle in, this weekend there were lots of fairy-cyclists out on the roads – but oncoming cars not slowing down, forcing you into the verges."
>
> The coach also claimed that the levels of dangerous driving in Essex have forced experienced fairy-cyclists to move out of the county, as well as having a detrimental impact on those who took up fairy-cycling over the past decade.
>
> He said: “We’ve had two members recently, experienced fairy-cyclists, who have actually sold up and moved to Suffolk because they’re just fed up with the driving standards and fearing for their safety on the Essex roads. They’ve moved to Suffolk primarily because they fear for their lives fairy-cycling.
>
> “After the 2012 Olympics and the 2014 Tour de France coming to Essex, we saw a massive increase in fairy-cycling from that legacy, and our fairy-cycling club doubled in membership. But it’s not a coincidence that since that initial wave – and again, with the beginning of the pandemic – those numbers have tailed off. And again, I think it’s that fear factor.”
>
> Unsurprisingly, quite a few listeners texted in to criticise the behaviour of fairy-cyclists in Essex, with one texter claiming that fairy-cyclists “are the most selfish people on the roads”.

"[fairy-cyclists] are the most selfish people on the roads".

> However, one non-fairy-cyclist wrote in to point out that dangerous driving in the county not only affects fairy-cyclists, but horse riders and pedestrians as well, and argued that “we take our lives in our hands when we leave the front drive”.
>
> Calling all Essex fairy-cyclists in the comments – what do you think? Do you agree with Russell? Have you noticed an increase in close passes and dangerous driving since the Highway Code changes? Let us know.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-19-april-2022-292029

Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changes’:

<5b197e64-0de0-4a9b-b1c7-2b37f829e035n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8538&group=uk.rec.cycling#8538

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_‘It’s_gotten_worse_since_the_Highway_Code_ch
anges’:
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:45 UTC

Awavey replied to davehartin | 2498 posts | 1 hour ago
0 likes
Ive ridden to Clacton & Harwich several times and across as far as Halstead, certainly below that A120 line though not much further south into Essex, and whilst theres a definite, ok Toto were not in Kansas anymore vibe to the roads & driving standard in Essex, and Ive certainly been on the receiving end of some rotten overtakes & close passes there, its not felt that different really to some of the roads there are in Suffolk too, so I dont know where those Chelmer club cyclists have moved to but weve probably got just as many miles of roads, but even fewer police in the traffic team covering the area with the same mix of impatient drivers in some parts not willing to give cyclists an inch on narrow roads.

Its like I havent looked at say this years Womens Tour stage 1 route released last week, and hey who knew theres more than Ride London - which isnt a race btw BBC Essex its a sportive (unless you are talking about the Ride London Classique, which they werent)- happening bike wise in Essex within the next 6 weeks and gone OMG if I want to ride & follow that stage route, Ive got to ride on those godawful Essex roads.

I actually look at it and go well Ive done the Essex bits before and they were ok, but the A1141, B1113 and the A134, and those are all in Suffolk, those are not fun roads to ride on, lots of traffic, lots of fast traffic, lots of Sunday drivers & bike (of the motorised variety) runners, cyclists have been killed & seriously injured riding on the A134, so its not as straightforward as just saying Essex roads bad, other county roads good.

actually I hope the media ride they do includes that A134 run into Bury so the local councillors and authorities get to experience it properly as cyclists, and it might encourage their road safety teams not to focus solely on helmets as being the solution to cycling safety.

QUITE.

> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-19-april-2022-292029

Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changes’:

<jc7qrkF7dvaU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8549&group=uk.rec.cycling#8549

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_‘It’s_gotten_worse_since_the_Highway_
Code_changes’:
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:13:25 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:13 UTC

On 19/04/2022 12:45, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Its like I havent looked at say this years Womens Tour stage 1 route released last week, and hey who knew theres more than Ride London - which isnt a race btw BBC Essex its a sportive (unless you are talking about the Ride London Classique, which they werent)- happening bike wise in Essex within the next 6 weeks and gone OMG if I want to ride & follow that stage route, Ive got to ride on those godawful Essex roads.

Google Translate is having difficulty parsing this into English.

--
Spike

Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changes’:

<8b12f241-628a-428d-b992-1ae3ddeb7a21n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8551&group=uk.rec.cycling#8551

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 06:15:27 -0700 (PDT)
anges’:
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:15 UTC

davehartin wrote:

Cross posted from Twitter:

I would never cycle anywhere in Essex south or west of a line from Harwich / Dovercourt to Colchester and across to Braintree and Bishop's Stortford. Essentially south of the A120.

South Tendring / Clacton etc crazy. Driving deteriorates the closer to London you get.

Generally agree; 8-10 miles North of the East West conurbations that run along the Thames from London to Southend can be good; south of that line and it is classic "commuter" mentality; overpopulated, too little time given for journeys, poor infrastructure and the general arrogance of some drivers makes it unpleasant.

Don't expect too much change though as the county is represented by the Nasty portion of the Conservative party; the selfish, ignorant dog whistlers who are destroying "UK Values", whatever they were. If we could only get Pritti Patel on board we could send the offending motorists to Rwanda, where you have to support cycling by Government decree!

Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changes’:

<jc8022F8ei5U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8560&group=uk.rec.cycling#8560

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
y Code changes’:
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:42:12 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:42 UTC

On 19/04/2022 02:13 pm, Spike wrote:
> On 19/04/2022 12:45, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Its like I havent looked at say this years Womens Tour stage 1 route released last week, and hey who knew theres more than Ride London - which isnt a race btw BBC Essex its a sportive (unless you are talking about the Ride London Classique, which they werent)- happening bike wise in Essex within the next 6 weeks and gone OMG if I want to ride & follow that stage route, Ive got to ride on those godawful Essex roads.
>
> Google Translate is having difficulty parsing this into English.

Is it masonese or just something he's copied from road.cc?

Re: ‘It’s gotten worse since the Highway Code changes’:

<0ab4b030-268b-4678-bcb9-86edf3c9b000n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8562&group=uk.rec.cycling#8562

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:36:35 -0700 (PDT)
anges’:
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:36 UTC

wavey replied to davehartin | 2499 posts | 2 hours ago
0 likes
no I was making a general point really that seems to have arisen from this piece on the radio, and that road.cc keep bringing up about Ride London, that Essex roads are particularly horrible for cyclists and people are reportedly leaving Essex to ride elsewhere,or not riding in Essex at all because its that bad.

And whilst Id agree there are differences in Essex you pick up on, and yes hot hatches have always been a thing on Essex roads, having ridden a small part of Essex thats been highlighted as bad, I dont feel they are that much different from roads around here or anywhere really, swap hot hatches for SUVs, builders for farmers, and its pretty much the same feels riding a bike.

I wouldnt ride the A137 out of choice fwiw, its not a road for instance any of those bought a bike to ride during lockdown would feel remotely comfortable riding on.