Your nature demands love and your happiness depends on it.

aus+uk / aus.electronics / Home automation etc

SubjectAuthor
* Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
+* Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else
|`- Re: Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
+* Re: Home automation etcComputer Nerd Kev
|+* Re: Home automation etcPhil Allison
||+* Re: Home automation etcComputer Nerd Kev
|||`- Re: Home automation etcPhil Allison
||`* Re: Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
|| `* Re: Home automation etcPhil Allison
||  `* Re: Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
||   `* Re: Home automation etcNews 2021
||    `- Re: Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
|`- Re: Home automation etcComputer Nerd Kev
+* Re: Home automation etcDaniel65
|`- Re: Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
+* Re: Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
|`* Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else
| `- Re: Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
`* Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else
 +* Re: Home automation etcTrevor Wilson
 |+- Re: Home automation etcJasen Betts
 |+* Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else
 ||`* Re: Home automation etcPhil Allison
 || `* Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else
 ||  `* Re: Home automation etcPhil Allison
 ||   `* Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else
 ||    `- Re: Home automation etcPhil Allison
 |`- Re: Home automation etckeithr0
 `* Re: Home automation etckeithr0
  +* Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else
  |`* Re: Home automation etckeithr0
  | `* Re: Home automation etcComputer Nerd Kev
  |  `* Re: Home automation etckeithr0
  |   +* Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else
  |   |`- Re: Home automation etckeithr0
  |   `* Re: Home automation etcComputer Nerd Kev
  |    `- Re: Home automation etckeithr0
  `- Re: Home automation etcSylvia Else

Pages:12
Home automation etc

<igasfbFjtd2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=858&group=aus.electronics#858

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Subject: Home automation etc
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 07:23:53 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 15 May 2021 21:23 UTC

Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make her
happy:

* Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary wi-fi
based system would be acceptable.

* Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running new
wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again, no
wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.

* Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
the house lighting from a similar system.

Turks were useless.

TIA for any tips.

Re: Home automation etc

<igb6mlFllm7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=859&group=aus.electronics#859

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Subject: Re: Home automation etc
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 10:18:20 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 16 May 2021 00:18 UTC

On 16-May-21 7:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make her
> happy:
>
> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary wi-fi
> based system would be acceptable.
>
> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running new
> wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again, no
> wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>
> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
> the house lighting from a similar system.
>
> Turks were useless.
>
> TIA for any tips.

Big Clive covered an interesting remote switch that requires no battery
or wiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pw7U0XFgUM&t=1079s

Similar things can be found online.

Sylvia.

Re: Home automation etc

<s7pqj2$alh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=860&group=aus.electronics#860

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 00:56:02 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 16 May 2021 00:56 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make her
> happy:
>
> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary wi-fi
> based system would be acceptable.
>
> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running new
> wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again, no
> wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>
> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
> the house lighting from a similar system.

There are the remote-controlled relay kits at Oatley:
http://oatleyelectronics.com/index.php?cPath=100_102

Also searching for "remote controlled relay" on Ebay brings up a
lot of results:
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=remote+controlled+relay

I'd be interested in powerline communications systems such as this:
https://github.com/DudeYarvie/JARViE_Home_Automation_Modem

For sale here:
https://www.tindie.com/products/jarvie/smart-home-power-line-modem-demo-board/

There are various other powerline modem designs online, which all
seem to be based around the TDA5051. Presumably people are making
home automation products using that approach as well, though they
didn't come up in my search.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Home automation etc

<45c291ec-1e2a-4d9d-a4f9-ee3d57356c2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=861&group=aus.electronics#861

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 18:11:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 16 May 2021 01:11 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
======================

> Also searching for "remote controlled relay" on Ebay brings up a
> lot of results:
> https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=remote+controlled+relay
>
> I'd be interested in powerline communications systems such as this:
> https://github.com/DudeYarvie/JARViE_Home_Automation_Modem
>
> For sale here:
> https://www.tindie.com/products/jarvie/smart-home-power-line-modem-demo-board/
>
> There are various other powerline modem designs online, which all
> seem to be based around the TDA5051. Presumably people are making
> home automation products using that approach as well, though they
> didn't come up in my search.

** TW wants to install the remote switches in the wiring of his home.

So, to be legal, they need to be *type approved* for use in Australia.

None of you finds were.

...... Phil

Re: Home automation etc

<s7q1se$ivr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=862&group=aus.electronics#862

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 03:00:31 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 16 May 2021 03:00 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> ======================
>>
>> Also searching for "remote controlled relay" on Ebay brings up a
>> lot of results:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=remote+controlled+relay
>>
>> I'd be interested in powerline communications systems such as this:
>> https://github.com/DudeYarvie/JARViE_Home_Automation_Modem
>>
>> For sale here:
>> https://www.tindie.com/products/jarvie/smart-home-power-line-modem-demo-board/
>>
>> There are various other powerline modem designs online, which all
>> seem to be based around the TDA5051. Presumably people are making
>> home automation products using that approach as well, though they
>> didn't come up in my search.
>>

> ** TW wants to install the remote switches in the wiring of his home.
>
> So, to be legal, they need to be *type approved* for use in Australia.
>
> None of you finds were.

Fair point for the stairs, but I know a lot of sheds where the
lights are just wired up to a mains plug to avoid that sort of
fuss. That could be an option in the garage.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Home automation etc

<4978c4cd-e239-40d0-9771-4034cda63cd5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=863&group=aus.electronics#863

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 21:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 16 May 2021 04:00 UTC

======================

=======================

> Fair point for the stairs, but I know a lot of sheds where the
> lights are just wired up to a mains plug to avoid that sort of
> fuss. That could be an option in the garage.
> --

** Mains controllers, plug adapters and switches also require type approval.

To go on sale that is.....

...... Phil

Re: Home automation etc

<igbsulFpjltU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=864&group=aus.electronics#864

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 16:38:13 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 16 May 2021 06:38 UTC

On 16/05/2021 11:11 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> ======================
>>
>> Also searching for "remote controlled relay" on Ebay brings up a
>> lot of results:
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=remote+controlled+relay
>>
>> I'd be interested in powerline communications systems such as this:
>> https://github.com/DudeYarvie/JARViE_Home_Automation_Modem
>>
>> For sale here:
>> https://www.tindie.com/products/jarvie/smart-home-power-line-modem-demo-board/
>>
>> There are various other powerline modem designs online, which all
>> seem to be based around the TDA5051. Presumably people are making
>> home automation products using that approach as well, though they
>> didn't come up in my search.
>>

> ** TW wants to install the remote switches in the wiring of his home.
>
> So, to be legal, they need to be *type approved* for use in Australia.

**Correct. I've found a couple that come close to what I need, but not
quite. I found a US product that fits the purpose and, although SOME of
their products are available in Australia, the ones I require are not. I
may have to wait a little longer.

Re: Home automation etc

<a4552381-100e-40fe-af45-ec792d520861n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=865&group=aus.electronics#865

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 23:45:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 16 May 2021 06:45 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
==================

> > ** TW wants to install the remote switches in the wiring of his home.
> >
> > So, to be legal, they need to be *type approved* for use in Australia.
> >
> **Correct. I've found a couple that come close to what I need, but not
> quite. I found a US product that fits the purpose and, although SOME of
> their products are available in Australia, the ones I require are not. I
> may have to wait a little longer.

** I tend to favor the KISS principle.
So why not a long string and pull on/off switches at each location ?

No batteries or approvals needed ....
EMI proof too.

...... Phil

Re: Home automation etc

<s7qlt0$rdg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=866&group=aus.electronics#866

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 18:42:09 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Sun, 16 May 2021 08:42 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote on 16/5/21 7:23 am:
> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make her
> happy:
>
> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary wi-fi
> based system would be acceptable.
>
> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running new
> wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again, no
> wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>
> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
> the house lighting from a similar system.
>
> Turks were useless.
>
> TIA for any tips.

When you type "do something about the garage lighting", do you mean
inside garage or to get you from the house to the garage??

If the later, wouldn't "motion detector" type solar-lights do the job??
No fixed wiring, etc, to worry about. Or is that what you mean by "Turks"??
--
Daniel

Re: Home automation etc

<igc61kFr82qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=867&group=aus.electronics#867

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 19:13:24 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 16 May 2021 09:13 UTC

On 16/05/2021 4:45 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
> ==================
>>
>>> ** TW wants to install the remote switches in the wiring of his home.
>>>
>>> So, to be legal, they need to be *type approved* for use in Australia.
>>>
>> **Correct. I've found a couple that come close to what I need, but not
>> quite. I found a US product that fits the purpose and, although SOME of
>> their products are available in Australia, the ones I require are not. I
>> may have to wait a little longer.
>
> ** I tend to favor the KISS principle.
> So why not a long string and pull on/off switches at each location ?
>
> No batteries or approvals needed ....
> EMI proof too.

**ROTFLMAO! I suspect SWMBO would be none too happy with such a system.
I COULD dig up the back lawn (down to 600mm), lay some extra conduit and
run some switch wires. OR, I could go the RF route. Or the long string
method.

I know which one I prefer.

Re: Home automation etc

<igc6bfFrbshU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=868&group=aus.electronics#868

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 19:18:36 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 16 May 2021 09:18 UTC

On 16/05/2021 6:42 pm, Daniel65 wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote on 16/5/21 7:23 am:
>> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
>> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make
>> her happy:
>>
>> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
>> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
>> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
>> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary
>> wi-fi based system would be acceptable.
>>
>> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running
>> new wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
>> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again,
>> no wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>>
>> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
>> the house lighting from a similar system.
>>
>> Turks were useless.
>>
>> TIA for any tips.
>>
> When you type "do something about the garage lighting", do you mean
> inside garage or to get you from the house to the garage??

**I have a couple of outdoor lights over the garage doors. They are
presently controlled from a switch inside the garage. Easy enough to add
a switch outside the garage. Drill a hole through the masonry, mount a
waterproof switch. Job done. Trouble is, SWMBO wants a switch at the
back door of the house. That means digging a 600mm trench through the
back lawn and under/through a concrete slab. It's not a job I'd enjoy.
Very time consuming, or expensive if I pay to have it done. Better to
control an RF switch.

> If the later, wouldn't "motion detector" type solar-lights do the job??

**Nope. The missus doesn't want that either. I mounted one a few months
back. She hated it.

> No fixed wiring, etc, to worry about. Or is that what you mean by "Turks"??

**Turks:

https://www.jrt.com.au/ajt/

Re: Home automation etc

<igdi4lF545kU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=869&group=aus.electronics#869

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 07:45:58 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 16 May 2021 21:45 UTC

On 16/05/2021 10:18 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 16-May-21 7:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
>> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make
>> her happy:
>>
>> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
>> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
>> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
>> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary
>> wi-fi based system would be acceptable.
>>
>> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running
>> new wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
>> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again,
>> no wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>>
>> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
>> the house lighting from a similar system.
>>
>> Turks were useless.
>>
>> TIA for any tips.
>>

> Big Clive covered an interesting remote switch that requires no battery
> or wiring.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pw7U0XFgUM&t=1079s
>
> Similar things can be found online.
>
> Sylvia.

**A client presented me with one of those things for repair a couple of
years back. Interesting, but not quite what I need.

Re: Home automation etc

<s7sch5$ngp$23@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=870&group=aus.electronics#870

From: new...@woa.com.au (News 2021)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 00:14:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: News 2021 - Mon, 17 May 2021 00:14 UTC

On Sun, 16 May 2021 19:13:24 +1000, Trevor Wilson scribed:

> On 16/05/2021 4:45 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> ==================

>>> **Correct. I've found a couple that come close to what I need, but not
>>> quite. I found a US product that fits the purpose and, although SOME
>>> of their products are available in Australia, the ones I require are
>>> not. I may have to wait a little longer.
>>
>> ** I tend to favor the KISS principle.
>> So why not a long string and pull on/off switches at each location ?
>>
>> No batteries or approvals needed ....
>> EMI proof too.
>
> **ROTFLMAO! I suspect SWMBO would be none too happy with such a system.
> I COULD dig up the back lawn (down to 600mm), lay some extra conduit and
> run some switch wires. OR, I could go the RF route. Or the long string
> method.
>
> I know which one I prefer.

Is 600mm the new standard?

If you are going to dig, first plan out all the trenches you need, then
take a 24 hour hire and go for your life.

When we shifted from single phone line to multi-lines for SOHO, it was
cheaper for me to hire a digger and do it. Since I had it for 24 hours, I
also put in a pile of drain lines at the time and a likely 'power to the
back shed' line.

Re: Home automation etc

<igdrgpF6skeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=871&group=aus.electronics#871

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 10:25:59 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 17 May 2021 00:25 UTC

On 17/05/2021 10:14 am, News 2021 wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2021 19:13:24 +1000, Trevor Wilson scribed:
>
>> On 16/05/2021 4:45 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
>>> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> ==================

>>> ** I tend to favor the KISS principle.
>>> So why not a long string and pull on/off switches at each location ?
>>>
>>> No batteries or approvals needed ....
>>> EMI proof too.
>>
>> **ROTFLMAO! I suspect SWMBO would be none too happy with such a system.
>> I COULD dig up the back lawn (down to 600mm), lay some extra conduit and
>> run some switch wires. OR, I could go the RF route. Or the long string
>> method.
>>
>> I know which one I prefer.
>
> Is 600mm the new standard?

**Dunno if it is new, but it is the standard.

> If you are going to dig, first plan out all the trenches you need, then
> take a 24 hour hire and go for your life.

**Perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I have ZERO intention of digging
up my back lawn. I dug a trench about 5 years ago, to run new power to
the garage in the best, most practical place. Since that time, SWMBO
planted a row of bushes. Given the constraints of my backyard, I would
need to dig up her plants to lay more conduit. That ain't gonna happen.

> When we shifted from single phone line to multi-lines for SOHO, it was
> cheaper for me to hire a digger and do it. Since I had it for 24 hours, I
> also put in a pile of drain lines at the time and a likely 'power to the
> back shed' line.

**See, the problem I have is that I had a concrete pool. It was removed.
Well, not so much as removed, as demolished and the concrete rubble left
in place around 300mm below the surface. Digging down 600mm almost
anywhere in the yard would be a nightmare. I prefer an RF solution.

Re: Home automation etc

<igdth0F771sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=872&group=aus.electronics#872

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 11:00:17 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 17 May 2021 01:00 UTC

On 16/05/2021 7:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make her
> happy:
>
> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary wi-fi
> based system would be acceptable.
>
> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running new
> wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again, no
> wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>
> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
> the house lighting from a similar system.
>
> Turks were useless.
>
> TIA for any tips.

**BTW: This appears to be the closest to what I am looking for:

https://www.casetawireless.com/

Not all products are available in Australia.

Re: Home automation etc

<ige3hiF885bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=873&group=aus.electronics#873

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 12:42:50 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 17 May 2021 02:42 UTC

On 17-May-21 11:00 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 16/05/2021 7:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
>> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make
>> her happy:
>>
>> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
>> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
>> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
>> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary
>> wi-fi based system would be acceptable.
>>
>> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running
>> new wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
>> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again,
>> no wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>>
>> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
>> the house lighting from a similar system.
>>
>> Turks were useless.
>>
>> TIA for any tips.
>>

> **BTW: This appears to be the closest to what I am looking for:
>
> https://www.casetawireless.com/
>
> Not all products are available in Australia.

I rather assumed that even if the light is outside the garage, the
wiring for it would go inside, so the controls would not need to be
weather proof.

Sylvia.

Re: Home automation etc

<ige5e8F8i0qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=874&group=aus.electronics#874

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 13:15:20 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 17 May 2021 03:15 UTC

On 17/05/2021 12:42 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 17-May-21 11:00 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 16/05/2021 7:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
>>> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make
>>> her happy:
>>>
>>> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be
>>> switched on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of
>>> range. I don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go.
>>> For this purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a
>>> supplementary wi-fi based system would be acceptable.
>>>
>>> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running
>>> new wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
>>> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again,
>>> no wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>>>
>>> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running
>>> all the house lighting from a similar system.
>>>
>>> Turks were useless.
>>>
>>> TIA for any tips.
>>>

>> **BTW: This appears to be the closest to what I am looking for:
>>
>> https://www.casetawireless.com/
>>
>> Not all products are available in Australia.
>>

> I rather assumed that even if the light is outside the garage, the
> wiring for it would go inside, so the controls would not need to be
> weather proof.
>
> Sylvia.

**Indeed. In fact, I offered the weather proof outside switch to SWMBO,
but, when she asked for the option to switch the lights on from the
house, I ruled that out and sought other, more sophisticated options,
like RF, Wi-Fi, etc.

Re: Home automation etc

<igerb1FckqmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=875&group=aus.electronics#875

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 19:28:55 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 17 May 2021 09:28 UTC

On 16-May-21 7:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make her
> happy:
>
> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary wi-fi
> based system would be acceptable.
>
> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running new
> wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again, no
> wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>
> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
> the house lighting from a similar system.
>
> Turks were useless.
>
> TIA for any tips.

Not sure what you mean by "no wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a
good thing"

Certainly, one doesn't want a device phoning-home to some unknown web
site, much less relying on the Internet to work at all.

After some thought, I realised that simple RF solutions have the
limitation that unless you can see whether changing the switch position
had any effect, there needs to be two-way communication between the
remote controller and the local switch, and WiFi makes sense for that.

If I had to implement this from scratch, then on the controller side I'd
probably go with a microcontroller (something out of the PIC24
families), a serial-port Wifi module, and a latching relay driven by an
H-bridge chip. I think all that could be driven via a capacitive dropper
(charge a capacitor to operate the relay coil).

The quiescent power drain is dominated by the Wifi module. At least some
such modules can act as an access point.

On the switch side, omit the H-bridge chip and relay. One could design a
circuit board for both parts, and just not fully populate the switch side.

Sylvia.

Re: Home automation etc

<igerk9Fckh3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=876&group=aus.electronics#876

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 19:34:02 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 17 May 2021 09:34 UTC

On 17/05/2021 7:28 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 16-May-21 7:23 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> Well, not quite home automation, but SWMBO has decreed that I do
>> something about the garage lighting. Here's what I think might make
>> her happy:
>>
>> * Remote control of lighting outside the garage, which can be switched
>> on at the back door of the house. I need about 20 Metres of range. I
>> don't want to run new wiring, so remote control is the go. For this
>> purpose, I want to avoid a wi-fi based system, but a supplementary
>> wi-fi based system would be acceptable.
>>
>> * Remote control of the stair lighting for the first floor. Running
>> new wiring for this application would be extremely intrusive and very
>> expensive, so remote control would also be the best way to go. Again,
>> no wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a good thing.
>>
>> * Since I'm doing the above, I thought I might think about running all
>> the house lighting from a similar system.
>>
>> Turks were useless.
>>
>> TIA for any tips.
>>

> Not sure what you mean by "no wi-fi, but supplementary wi-fi would be a
> good thing"

**Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. Here goes:

I want a primarily RF system. I do not want a system that relies only on
a cell 'phone/wi-fi system.

> Certainly, one doesn't want a device phoning-home to some unknown web
> site, much less relying on the Internet to work at all.
>
> After some thought, I realised that simple RF solutions have the
> limitation that unless you can see whether changing the switch position
> had any effect, there needs to be two-way communication between the
> remote controller and the local switch, and WiFi makes sense for that.

**Correct.

> If I had to implement this from scratch, then on the controller side I'd
> probably go with a microcontroller (something out of the PIC24
> families), a serial-port Wifi module, and a latching relay driven by an
> H-bridge chip. I think all that could be driven via a capacitive dropper
> (charge a capacitor to operate the relay coil).
>
> The quiescent power drain is dominated by the Wifi module. At least some
> such modules can act as an access point.
>
> On the switch side, omit the H-bridge chip and relay. One could design a
> circuit board for both parts, and just not fully populate the switch side.

**I am confident that there is an off-the-shelf solution available.

Re: Home automation etc

<s7uksl$17t$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=877&group=aus.electronics#877

From: use...@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:49:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Mon, 17 May 2021 20:49 UTC

On 2021-05-17, Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

> I want a primarily RF system. I do not want a system that relies only on
> a cell 'phone/wi-fi system.
>

> **I am confident that there is an off-the-shelf solution available.

Have a look at X10 or whatever its successor is. they were doing PLC,
but it's still RF.

--
Jasen.

Re: Home automation etc

<iggconFm1v1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=878&group=aus.electronics#878

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 09:32:30 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 17 May 2021 23:32 UTC

On 17-May-21 7:34 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> **I am confident that there is an off-the-shelf solution available.

I've looked around, and concluded, as you certainly have, that almost
all the WiFi 'smart' switches are designed to interpose themselves
between a mains socket, and the corresponding appliance plug.

This is, of course, due to market size. The market for stuff that
legally needs to be installed by an electrician is much smaller.

The only thing I've found that appears to match your requirements is

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313028359371

and I wouldn't trust uncertified mains power gear from China not to burn
your house down.

Sylvia.

Re: Home automation etc

<s7uvf3$1v9q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=879&group=aus.electronics#879

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 23:49:56 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 17 May 2021 23:49 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

> I'd be interested in powerline communications systems such as this:
> https://github.com/DudeYarvie/JARViE_Home_Automation_Modem
>
> For sale here:
> https://www.tindie.com/products/jarvie/smart-home-power-line-modem-demo-board/
>
> There are various other powerline modem designs online, which all
> seem to be based around the TDA5051. Presumably people are making
> home automation products using that approach as well, though they
> didn't come up in my search.

UPB (Universal Powerline Bus) seems to be a common name for the
commercial devices using powerline communications:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_powerline_bus

There are a few manufacturers, but I'm not sure if there are any
Aus distributors (too many false results when I search "UPB
lighting control Australia").

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Home automation etc

<be90e3da-f159-4a33-a0a9-bcccc6163355n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=880&group=aus.electronics#880

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 17:26:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 18 May 2021 00:26 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:
==============
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
> > **I am confident that there is an off-the-shelf solution available.
> >
> I've looked around, and concluded, as you certainly have, that almost
> all the WiFi 'smart' switches are designed to interpose themselves
> between a mains socket, and the corresponding appliance plug.
>
> This is, of course, due to market size. The market for stuff that
> legally needs to be installed by an electrician is much smaller.
>
> The only thing I've found that appears to match your requirements is
>
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313028359371
>
> and I wouldn't trust uncertified mains power gear from China not to burn
> your house down.
===================================

** The solution is simple:

1. Fit 12V LED lighting at the two locations.

2. Use an *approved* 240V to 12 VDC switching adapter with each.

3. Use a 12V remote switch on 433MHz for each powered from the adapter's output.

Plenty of choices for all three.

....... Phil

Re: Home automation etc

<igghhnFmshuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=881&group=aus.electronics#881

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 10:54:06 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Tue, 18 May 2021 00:54 UTC

On 18-May-21 10:26 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
> ==============
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> **I am confident that there is an off-the-shelf solution available.
>>>
>> I've looked around, and concluded, as you certainly have, that almost
>> all the WiFi 'smart' switches are designed to interpose themselves
>> between a mains socket, and the corresponding appliance plug.
>>
>> This is, of course, due to market size. The market for stuff that
>> legally needs to be installed by an electrician is much smaller.
>>
>> The only thing I've found that appears to match your requirements is
>>
>> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313028359371
>>
>> and I wouldn't trust uncertified mains power gear from China not to burn
>> your house down.
> ===================================
>
> ** The solution is simple:
>
> 1. Fit 12V LED lighting at the two locations.
>
> 2. Use an *approved* 240V to 12 VDC switching adapter with each.
>
> 3. Use a 12V remote switch on 433MHz for each powered from the adapter's output.
>
> Plenty of choices for all three.
>

> ...... Phil

The 433MHz RF solution has the issue that if you cannot see the light
that's being controlled, you cannot tell whether the control instruction
was obeyed in any given instance - how often does the garage remote not
operate the door on the first attempt? So now you need bi-directional
communication. This could still be done with 433MHz RF, but Wifi starts
to make more sense.

Sylvia.

Re: Home automation etc

<378d0b29-489a-40cd-8f4f-ec153056aba3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=882&group=aus.electronics#882

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 18:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 18 May 2021 01:02 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:

> The 433MHz RF solution has the issue that if you cannot see the light
> that's being controlled, you cannot tell whether the control instruction
> was obeyed in any given instance ...

** Contradicts TW's actual question.

Go read it again.