Only God can make random selections.

aus+uk / aus.cars / How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

SubjectAuthor
* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordDaryl
+* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordNoddy
|`* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordDaryl
| `* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordNoddy
|  +- How to jump start a Volvo with a FordXeno
|  +* How to jump start a Volvo with a Fordalvey
|  |+- How to jump start a Volvo with a FordXeno
|  |`* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordYosemite Sam
|  | +- How to jump start a Volvo with a FordXeno
|  | +* How to jump start a Volvo with a Fordalvey
|  | |`* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordYosemite Sam
|  | | `- How to jump start a Volvo with a FordClocky
|  | `* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordClocky
|  |  `* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordXeno
|  |   `* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordClocky
|  |    `* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordXeno
|  |     `* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordClocky
|  |      +- How to jump start a Volvo with a FordYosemite Sam
|  |      +- How to jump start a Volvo with a FordXeno
|  |      `- How to jump start a Volvo with a Fordalvey
|  `* How to jump start a Volvo with a FordClocky
|   `- How to jump start a Volvo with a FordXeno
`- How to jump start a Volvo with a Fordjonz@ nothere.com

1
How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j24o3gF7i5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8615&group=aus.cars#8615

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 11:25:20 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 00:25 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfG4G8X4wY
The main action starts at about 17mins.
These guys are nuts:-)

--
Daryl

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<spjhts$sek$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8617&group=aus.cars#8617

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 13:44:09 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 02:44 UTC

On 18/12/2021 11:25 am, Daryl wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfG4G8X4wY
> The main action starts at about 17mins.
> These guys are nuts:-)

Reminds me a bit of Jack Absalom the bush artist who did a series of
"bush travels" videos on the ABC years ago where he would give people
advice about how to get themselves out of trouble in the bush.

One of the things he would do was insist that people drive a manual
transmission equipped car as it could be started relatively easily if
you had a flat battery, and to demonstrate this he would take out his
jack and jack up one side so one rear wheel was clear of the ground
while the other was firmly planted on the deck. He'd put the car in
third gear and turn on the ignition and then spin the raised wheel
around like a hand crank to jog the engine into life.

The engine started and it pig rooted and carried on until he rushed to
the driver's seat and knocked it into neutral where it idled away
nicely. It was a neat trick, but he neglected to mention about how it
wouldn't work well if you had a limited slip diff :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j2532sF23tuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8618&group=aus.cars#8618

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:32:42 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 03:32 UTC

On 18/12/21 1:44 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 11:25 am, Daryl wrote:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfG4G8X4wY
>> The main action starts at about 17mins.
>> These guys are nuts:-)
>
> Reminds me a bit of Jack Absalom the bush artist who did a series of
> "bush travels" videos on the ABC years ago where he would give people
> advice about how to get themselves out of trouble in the bush.
>
> One of the things he would do was insist that people drive a manual
> transmission equipped car as it could be started relatively easily if
> you had a flat battery, and to demonstrate this he would take out his
> jack and jack up one side so one rear wheel was clear of the ground
> while the other was firmly planted on the deck. He'd put the car in
> third gear and turn on the ignition and then spin the raised wheel
> around like a hand crank to jog the engine into life.
>
> The engine started and it pig rooted and carried on until he rushed to
> the driver's seat and knocked it into neutral where it idled away
> nicely. It was a neat trick, but he neglected to mention about how it
> wouldn't work well if you had a limited slip diff :)

LOL.
I remember being taught as an apprentice that when working on diesels
you had to be very careful when turning an engine over by hand to do
something like adjust tappets or set injector pump timing, I was taught
to make sure the fuel shut off was locked in the off position just in
case the engine tried to start.

--
Daryl

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<spkcta$nbb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8619&group=aus.cars#8619

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 21:24:39 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 10:24 UTC

On 18/12/2021 2:32 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/12/21 1:44 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> One of the things he would do was insist that people drive a manual
>> transmission equipped car as it could be started relatively easily if
>> you had a flat battery, and to demonstrate this he would take out his
>> jack and jack up one side so one rear wheel was clear of the ground
>> while the other was firmly planted on the deck. He'd put the car in
>> third gear and turn on the ignition and then spin the raised wheel
>> around like a hand crank to jog the engine into life.
>>
>> The engine started and it pig rooted and carried on until he rushed to
>> the driver's seat and knocked it into neutral where it idled away
>> nicely. It was a neat trick, but he neglected to mention about how it
>> wouldn't work well if you had a limited slip diff :)
>>

> LOL.
> I remember being taught as an apprentice that when working on diesels
> you had to be very careful when turning an engine over by hand to do
> something like adjust tappets or set injector pump timing, I was taught
> to make sure the fuel shut off was locked in the off position just in
> case the engine tried to start.

I'll bet a few were caught out.

When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry one of the jobs that
had to be done on every 100 hourly inspection was a cylinder leak down
test, and as usual it was always the apprentice who got the cunt end of
the job. In this case it was holding the propeller still to stop the
engine from winding over.

The way the process was *supposed* to be done was you would test one
cylinder at a time, with all plugs in other than one of the plugs of the
cylinder you were testing (the engines ran twin plug magneto systems).
You'd pull a plug out & install the leak down tester fitting, wind the
engine over to TDC on the firing stroke to make sure the valves were
shut, and then you'd *slowly* wind on the air while the apprentice
(namely me) held the propeller to stop the engine turning over.

If done correctly it was perfectly safe. But if done by a fucking idiot
who had all the plugs out of the engine other than one blanking off the
second hole in the cylinder you were testing and he connected the tester
with the air valve wound right open it could get pretty hairy if the
engine was a bit past TDC and the inrush of air pushed the piston down
in a hurry.

You normally left all the plugs in as doing so acted like a compression
brake, and with them out even if the engine turned over under the force
of compressed air it would only turn around three quarters of a
revolution before a valve opened enough to let out the pressure, but it
would turn pretty quickly and with a 5 foot or more propeller swinging
with it it could get pretty dangerous.

I got whacked once because of one fuckwit, and I still have the scar on
my elbow to remind me of it. Fortunately said fuckwit left not long
after to join the Police Air Wing, and I never had to deal with anyone
not doing it by the book after that.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j263rvF803dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8621&group=aus.cars#8621

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 23:52:12 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:52 UTC

On 18/12/21 9:24 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 2:32 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 18/12/21 1:44 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> One of the things he would do was insist that people drive a manual
>>> transmission equipped car as it could be started relatively easily if
>>> you had a flat battery, and to demonstrate this he would take out his
>>> jack and jack up one side so one rear wheel was clear of the ground
>>> while the other was firmly planted on the deck. He'd put the car in
>>> third gear and turn on the ignition and then spin the raised wheel
>>> around like a hand crank to jog the engine into life.
>>>
>>> The engine started and it pig rooted and carried on until he rushed
>>> to the driver's seat and knocked it into neutral where it idled away
>>> nicely. It was a neat trick, but he neglected to mention about how it
>>> wouldn't work well if you had a limited slip diff :)
>>>

>> LOL.
>> I remember being taught as an apprentice that when working on diesels
>> you had to be very careful when turning an engine over by hand to do
>> something like adjust tappets or set injector pump timing, I was
>> taught to make sure the fuel shut off was locked in the off position
>> just in case the engine tried to start.
>
> I'll bet a few were caught out.

No Darren, only the untrained mugs who have no clue how diesels operate.

> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry one of the jobs that
> had to be done on every 100 hourly inspection was a cylinder leak down
> test, and as usual it was always the apprentice who got the cunt end of
> the job. In this case it was holding the propeller still to stop the
> engine from winding over.

Ah, you're a dreamer Darren. You must have been watching those poor
apprentices from the sidelines. After all, you were never an aircraft
industry apprentice. You would have needed to complete year 10 to be
able to sign up as an AME apprentice - and you dropped out of year 9 and
didn't even sit *that exam*. All your *experience in the aviation
industry was as a *trades assistant*.

> The way the process was *supposed* to be done was you would test one
> cylinder at a time, with all plugs in other than one of the plugs of the
> cylinder you were testing (the engines ran twin plug magneto systems).
> You'd pull a plug out & install the leak down tester fitting, wind the
> engine over to TDC on the firing stroke to make sure the valves were
> shut, and then you'd *slowly* wind on the air while the apprentice
> (namely me) held the propeller to stop the engine turning over.

Or the TA (namely YOU) in the absence of a suitable apprentice - and you
weren't one of those apprentices. The proof is at PROV - or should I
say, the absence of *any* record with your name on it.

> If done correctly it was perfectly safe. But if done by a fucking idiot
> who had all the plugs out of the engine other than one blanking off the
> second hole in the cylinder you were testing and he connected the tester
> with the air valve wound right open it could get pretty hairy if the
> engine was a bit past TDC and the inrush of air pushed the piston down
> in a hurry.
>
> You normally left all the plugs in as doing so acted like a compression
> brake, and with them out even if the engine turned over under the force
> of compressed air it would only turn around three quarters of a
> revolution before a valve opened enough to let out the pressure, but it
> would turn pretty quickly and with a 5 foot or more propeller swinging
> with it it could get pretty dangerous.
>
> I got whacked once because of one fuckwit, and I still have the scar on
> my elbow to remind me of it. Fortunately said fuckwit left not long
> after to join the Police Air Wing, and I never had to deal with anyone
> not doing it by the book after that.

Please explain why *your name* doesn't exist on TAFE college rolls at
PROV Darren. Would you believe your name doesn't even link to a *trade
registration number*. Funny that.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<7njc9jdp6tw4.1nhx95fqkwbih$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8623&group=aus.cars#8623

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 05:53:42 +1000
 by: alvey - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 19:53 UTC

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 21:24:39 +1100, Noddy wrote:

> On 18/12/2021 2:32 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 18/12/21 1:44 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> One of the things he would do was insist that people drive a manual
>>> transmission equipped car as it could be started relatively easily if
>>> you had a flat battery, and to demonstrate this he would take out his
>>> jack and jack up one side so one rear wheel was clear of the ground
>>> while the other was firmly planted on the deck. He'd put the car in
>>> third gear and turn on the ignition and then spin the raised wheel
>>> around like a hand crank to jog the engine into life.
>>>
>>> The engine started and it pig rooted and carried on until he rushed to
>>> the driver's seat and knocked it into neutral where it idled away
>>> nicely. It was a neat trick, but he neglected to mention about how it
>>> wouldn't work well if you had a limited slip diff :)
>>>

>> LOL.
>> I remember being taught as an apprentice that when working on diesels
>> you had to be very careful when turning an engine over by hand to do
>> something like adjust tappets or set injector pump timing, I was taught
>> to make sure the fuel shut off was locked in the off position just in
>> case the engine tried to start.
>
> I'll bet a few were caught out.
>
> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry...

"aircraft industry"?
So this Convenient Anecdote is both irrelevant *and* a lack of pies. Best
snip it.

alvey

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j273otFe0dlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8625&group=aus.cars#8625

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 08:56:43 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 21:56 UTC

On 19/12/21 6:53 am, alvey wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 21:24:39 +1100, Noddy wrote:

>>> LOL.
>>> I remember being taught as an apprentice that when working on diesels
>>> you had to be very careful when turning an engine over by hand to do
>>> something like adjust tappets or set injector pump timing, I was taught
>>> to make sure the fuel shut off was locked in the off position just in
>>> case the engine tried to start.
>>
>> I'll bet a few were caught out.
>>
>> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry...
>
> "aircraft industry"?
> So this Convenient Anecdote is both irrelevant *and* a lack of pies. Best
> snip it.
>

> alvey

Darren was certainly caught out when he claimed to be an apprentice in
the aircraft industry. Puir wee sod didn't realise that an AME is a
*technician level* apprenticeship.

That means, for a start, a *higher* education entry level into the
trade. It was year 10 passes in the usual subjects, as verified by my
friend, Graeme Sambell, who actually did his AME apprenticeship with
Qantas. Easily verified on Google, note his *location*. ;-)

Secondly, the AME apprenticeship Darren claims to have done requires 4
years at TAFE, not 3 as is the case with a standard apprenticeship - but
Darren had no clue about that. Recall, if you will, Darren claiming to
have completed all TAFE college work in 3 years - not possible in a lock
step training regime. The funniest thing about that detail is that it
was Daryl, Darren's bestie, who provided a link to government documents
that proved beyond a shadow of doubt that AME apprenticeships required
1280 hours of training over 4 years. Darren, never having qualified to
even sign up to such an apprenticeship, wasn't aware of those pesky
details and it exposed his lies for all to see.

Darren, sadly, isn't smart enough to hang back on the exposed lies, he
just keeps trotting them out in Grumpy style whack a mole.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j284f0Fjn9oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8630&group=aus.cars#8630

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:14:38 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 07:14 UTC

On 19/12/2021 6:53 am, alvey wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 21:24:39 +1100, Noddy wrote:

>>> LOL.
>>> I remember being taught as an apprentice that when working on diesels
>>> you had to be very careful when turning an engine over by hand to do
>>> something like adjust tappets or set injector pump timing, I was taught
>>> to make sure the fuel shut off was locked in the off position just in
>>> case the engine tried to start.
>> I'll bet a few were caught out.
>>
>> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry...
> "aircraft industry"?
> So this Convenient Anecdote is both irrelevant *and* a lack of pies. Best
> snip it.

according to Xeno noddy has never done any kind of apprenticeship. but
his stories sound so credible, so he's either he's a very convincing
liar, or Xeno has got something wrong. :(

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j28brgFl3a5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8634&group=aus.cars#8634

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:20:46 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 09:20 UTC

On 19/12/21 6:14 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/12/2021 6:53 am, alvey wrote:

>>> I'll bet a few were caught out.
>>>
>>> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry...
>> "aircraft industry"?
>> So this Convenient Anecdote is both irrelevant *and* a lack of pies. Best
>> snip it.
>>

> according to Xeno noddy has never done any kind of apprenticeship. but
> his stories sound so credible, so he's either he's a very convincing
> liar, or Xeno has got something wrong. :(

Well, if you're a *TA* at an aircraft repair facility, you get to see
the same things an apprentice sees. You only get to be an *apprentice*
if you can meet or exceed the *entry level* which, in the case of an AME
apprenticeship, is year 10 passes. I got that info direct from my friend
here who is an LAME(engines), LAME(electrical) and LAME(airframe). These
days he currently specialises in turbines almost exclusively, especially
since that is what he cut his teeth on as an apprentice with Qantas. The
reason for that is that an AME(engines) apprenticeship is at *technician
level*. In today's parlance, that would be Certificate 4. A standard
apprenticeship is at Certificate 3. A document in the Victorian
Parliament archives relating to apprentice numbers in various years and
at various colleges, the one linked to by Daryl, had this note on it;

(1) Total schooling for aircraft trades is 1280 hours over 4 years.
Average attendance is 8 hours per week in each year.

These don't appear on the net any more for some reason. They will still
be available but they no longer come up on a Google search. If you like,
I can send you one of the ones I wisely saved locally on my HDD.

Darren claimed he *completed* the college work in 3 years before he was
retrenched. Bzzzzttt, a clear lie. For a start, you cannot retrench
apprentices. Further, in a field where demand for the relevant skills is
growing, you're not likely to retrench *any* AMEs or LAMEs or
apprentices. What's more, if you were *really* signed up to an
apprenticeship, you would know *exactly* how much time you were going to
be spending at TAFE. Darren didn't and he *assumed*, quite wrongly, that
AME apprentices did the same 960 hours as standard apprentices. As
stated in the note above, AME apprentices do 1280 hours over four (4)
years.

Then there were the bits of technical stuff related to *aviation* that
he did not know. Paul pulled him up on one here in aus.cars, how valve
timing can affect *Effective Compression Ratio* (ECR) if memory serves.
Another was when Darren called concept (ECR) bullshit. Sadly for him,
there were, and are, two areas where this terminology is widely used,
one being *aviation*, the other *drag racing*. The common link between
those two - supercharging. In these fields, it is an imperative to
understand the concept. Darren didn't yet he claims *experience* in both
these areas.

Bottom line, it is easy to impress someone, like you or I, who has no
experience in the aviation industry. I was willing to give Darren a
*granted pass* on his claims of an AME apprenticeship - at first. But
then his claims began to unravel. Remember when he said that he was
given a *transfer* of apprenticeship to motor mechanics? Doesn't happen,
the trades are way too disparate. What's more, he stated his AME
apprenticeship was cancelled. Can't transfer something that's been
cancelled, can you? Then there was the *special dispensation* supposedly
given to him by the DLI. What a pity the DLI had *nothing* to do with
apprentice training, that being the remit of the Industrial Training
Commission (ITC). Then he tripped over the concept of RPL. A test his
kid sister could pass, he said. Not even close! Darren's never been
within cooee of any hint of RPL, much less undertaken any. Darren's
problem was that he had *no experience* with any apprenticeship so
tripped up over his own bullshit so often I became suspicious and began
to question *every-single-thing-he-said*. It turned out to be all
bullshit interlaced with lies!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<3h6rlvar3f46.18mummegr54gi.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8645&group=aus.cars#8645

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 06:06:43 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:06 UTC

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:14:38 +1100, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> On 19/12/2021 6:53 am, alvey wrote:

>>> I'll bet a few were caught out.
>>>
>>> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry...
>> "aircraft industry"?
>> So this Convenient Anecdote is both irrelevant *and* a lack of pies. Best
>> snip it.
>>

> according to Xeno noddy has never done any kind of apprenticeship. but
> his stories sound so credible, so he's either he's a very convincing
> liar,

The overwhelming majority of his stories are not those of a "very
convincing liar". They're the product of a lazy dullard and consequently,
as easy to spot as a pregnant humpback in your pool.

alvey

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<9e69cbbb-24b9-4c43-97fe-f00c89c8e568n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8646&group=aus.cars#8646

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 15:44:26 -0800 (PST)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:44 UTC

On Saturday, 18 December 2021 at 11:25:24 UTC+11, Daryl wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfG4G8X4wY
> The main action starts at about 17mins.
> These guys are nuts:-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Noddy should have had a bell on his cap, would have made all the difference. :)
But it worked!!...
(Must be growing some good weed out there.)

> --
> Daryl

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j2a0jsFf9lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8653&group=aus.cars#8653

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:21:18 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 00:21 UTC

On 20/12/2021 7:06 am, alvey wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:14:38 +1100, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> "aircraft industry"?
>>> So this Convenient Anecdote is both irrelevant *and* a lack of pies. Best
>>> snip it.
>>>
>> according to Xeno noddy has never done any kind of apprenticeship. but
>> his stories sound so credible, so he's either he's a very convincing
>> liar,
> The overwhelming majority of his stories are not those of a "very
> convincing liar". They're the product of a lazy dullard

he does seem to do a lot of work in his 'tin shed' so I'm reluctant to
call him lazy

> and consequently,
> as easy to spot as a pregnant humpback in your pool.

well his aircraft industry story that you snipped does read as if it was
a personal real life experience, as do many of his others, so I do think
his 'stories' sound as if they're true.

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<spq51p$ukj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8675&group=aus.cars#8675

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:47:21 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 14:47 UTC

On 18/12/2021 6:24 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 2:32 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 18/12/21 1:44 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> One of the things he would do was insist that people drive a manual
>>> transmission equipped car as it could be started relatively easily if
>>> you had a flat battery, and to demonstrate this he would take out his
>>> jack and jack up one side so one rear wheel was clear of the ground
>>> while the other was firmly planted on the deck. He'd put the car in
>>> third gear and turn on the ignition and then spin the raised wheel
>>> around like a hand crank to jog the engine into life.
>>>
>>> The engine started and it pig rooted and carried on until he rushed
>>> to the driver's seat and knocked it into neutral where it idled away
>>> nicely. It was a neat trick, but he neglected to mention about how it
>>> wouldn't work well if you had a limited slip diff :)
>>>

>> LOL.
>> I remember being taught as an apprentice that when working on diesels
>> you had to be very careful when turning an engine over by hand to do
>> something like adjust tappets or set injector pump timing, I was
>> taught to make sure the fuel shut off was locked in the off position
>> just in case the engine tried to start.
>
> I'll bet a few were caught out.
>
> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry

You weren't.

Dumbarses like you didn't get a look in... not the aircraft industry or
the automotive industry you fucking tosser.

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<spq5e3$b80$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8676&group=aus.cars#8676

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:53:55 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 14:53 UTC

On 19/12/2021 3:14 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/12/2021 6:53 am, alvey wrote:

>>> I'll bet a few were caught out.
>>>
>>> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry...
>> "aircraft industry"?
>> So this Convenient Anecdote is both irrelevant *and* a lack of pies. Best
>> snip it.
>>

> according to Xeno noddy has never done any kind of apprenticeship. but
> his stories sound so credible, so he's either he's a very convincing
> liar, or Xeno has got something wrong. :(

He borrows on other peoples stories. Don't be fooled. He's not one to do
things by the book or otherwise the dumbarse would have read the manual
and used the correct procedure to put a car on a hoist - for instance.

Pretenders do what he did, mechanics operating any hoist don't - he made
a mistake you would expect from a first year apprentice just starting in
the trade!

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<spq65h$t55$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8677&group=aus.cars#8677

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 23:06:18 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 15:06 UTC

On 20/12/2021 8:21 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 20/12/2021 7:06 am, alvey wrote:

>>> according to Xeno noddy has never done any kind of apprenticeship. but
>>> his stories sound so credible, so he's either he's a very convincing
>>> liar,
>> The overwhelming majority of his stories are not those of a "very
>> convincing liar". They're the product of a lazy dullard
>

> he does seem to do a lot of work in his 'tin shed' so I'm reluctant to
> call him lazy

He stuffs around. It might come across as a lot for some backyarder but
from a trade point of view it's nothing. The return also doesn't justify
the amount of cash he pours into his hobby and collection of toys.

>>    and consequently,
>> as easy to spot as a pregnant humpback in your pool.
>>

> well his aircraft industry story that you snipped does read as if it was
> a personal real life experience, as do many of his others, so I do think
> his 'stories' sound as if they're true.

Of course, he's perfected story telling his whole life - but he can't
tell the same story twice. Just look at all the 'convincing' versions of
the P76 story. Each almost completely unique in detail and easily
debunked, dates spread over a 15 year period, prices hugely variable and
about vehicles that can be traced proving his stories are pure BS.
Narcissists can be very convincing, especially to people who don't know
the ins and outs or are too lazy to search out the truth.

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j2cm2aFg53bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8685&group=aus.cars#8685

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:39:38 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:39 UTC

On 21/12/21 1:47 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 6:24 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> LOL.
>>> I remember being taught as an apprentice that when working on diesels
>>> you had to be very careful when turning an engine over by hand to do
>>> something like adjust tappets or set injector pump timing, I was
>>> taught to make sure the fuel shut off was locked in the off position
>>> just in case the engine tried to start.
>>
>> I'll bet a few were caught out.
>>
>> When I was an apprentice in the aircraft industry
>
> You weren't.
>
> Dumbarses like you didn't get a look in... not the aircraft industry or

Especially in the aircraft industry! Higher entry - year 10.

> the automotive industry you fucking tosser.

He didn't even meet the year 9 standard of the automotive industry.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j2cmekFg7q8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8687&group=aus.cars#8687

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:46:10 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:46 UTC

On 21/12/21 1:53 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 19/12/2021 3:14 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> "aircraft industry"?
>>> So this Convenient Anecdote is both irrelevant *and* a lack of pies.
>>> Best
>>> snip it.
>>>

>> according to Xeno noddy has never done any kind of apprenticeship. but
>> his stories sound so credible, so he's either he's a very convincing
>> liar, or Xeno has got something wrong. :(
>>

> He borrows on other peoples stories. Don't be fooled. He's not one to do
> things by the book or otherwise the dumbarse would have read the manual
> and used the correct procedure to put a car on a hoist - for instance.
>
> Pretenders do what he did, mechanics operating any hoist don't - he made
> a mistake you would expect from a first year apprentice just starting in
> the trade!

It's the pretenders who decry the underpinning theory applied to all
motor mechanics tasks. They are also the losers who end up with poor
outcomes - as with Les' 4AGE(20) engine, where not having a clue about
the *theory* leads to disastrous outcomes for the car owners. Ditto with
hoist use, the *theory* of CofG needs to be known and well understood
before losers are even let near one of those pieces of garage equipment.
Hey, that *unbalanced* hoist caper was with Les' car too, wasn't it? The
*rear* hoist points level with the back of the drivers seat!
Hahahahahahhaha In a mid engined car! Hahahahhahahhaha What a clown!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<sprb7u$jmj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8693&group=aus.cars#8693

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:39:03 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 01:39 UTC

On 21/12/2021 8:46 am, Xeno wrote:
> On 21/12/21 1:53 am, Clocky wrote:

>>> according to Xeno noddy has never done any kind of apprenticeship.
>>> but his stories sound so credible, so he's either he's a very
>>> convincing liar, or Xeno has got something wrong. :(
>>>

>> He borrows on other peoples stories. Don't be fooled. He's not one to
>> do things by the book or otherwise the dumbarse would have read the
>> manual and used the correct procedure to put a car on a hoist - for
>> instance.
>>
>> Pretenders do what he did, mechanics operating any hoist don't - he
>> made a mistake you would expect from a first year apprentice just
>> starting in the trade!
>>
> It's the pretenders who decry the underpinning theory applied to all
> motor mechanics tasks. They are also the losers who end up with poor
> outcomes - as with Les' 4AGE(20) engine, where not having a clue about
> the *theory* leads to disastrous outcomes for the car owners. Ditto with
> hoist use, the *theory* of CofG needs to be known and well understood
> before losers are even let near one of those pieces of garage equipment.
> Hey, that *unbalanced* hoist caper was with Les' car too, wasn't it? The
> *rear* hoist points level with the back of the drivers seat!
> Hahahahahahhaha  In a mid engined car!  Hahahahhahahhaha   What a clown!

Worse the idiotic backpedaling after learning that he was using the
wrong points - and finding out where the correct points were.

It was as pathetic as it was laughable. What a totally incompetent
pretentious goofball!

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j2cqhhFgu32U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8694&group=aus.cars#8694

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 12:55:59 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 01:55 UTC

On 21/12/21 12:39 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 21/12/2021 8:46 am, Xeno wrote:

>>> He borrows on other peoples stories. Don't be fooled. He's not one to
>>> do things by the book or otherwise the dumbarse would have read the
>>> manual and used the correct procedure to put a car on a hoist - for
>>> instance.
>>>
>>> Pretenders do what he did, mechanics operating any hoist don't - he
>>> made a mistake you would expect from a first year apprentice just
>>> starting in the trade!
>>>
>> It's the pretenders who decry the underpinning theory applied to all
>> motor mechanics tasks. They are also the losers who end up with poor
>> outcomes - as with Les' 4AGE(20) engine, where not having a clue about
>> the *theory* leads to disastrous outcomes for the car owners. Ditto
>> with hoist use, the *theory* of CofG needs to be known and well
>> understood before losers are even let near one of those pieces of
>> garage equipment. Hey, that *unbalanced* hoist caper was with Les' car
>> too, wasn't it? The *rear* hoist points level with the back of the
>> drivers seat! Hahahahahahhaha  In a mid engined car!
>> Hahahahhahahhaha   What a clown!
>>

> Worse the idiotic backpedaling after learning that he was using the
> wrong points - and finding out where the correct points were.

And he had *access* to the manual, sort of. It was in *Daryl's*
possession, not where the car was being hoisted. It showed the
*correct*hoist and *jacking* points but it was treated with disdain by
the theory-phobic twins. No need for theory, they argue. Yeah, right!

> It was as pathetic as it was laughable. What a totally incompetent
> pretentious goofball!

Both of them, classic dumb and dumber.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<sps9pt$h7j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8698&group=aus.cars#8698

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 18:20:46 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:20 UTC

On 21/12/2021 9:55 am, Xeno wrote:
> On 21/12/21 12:39 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> It's the pretenders who decry the underpinning theory applied to all
>>> motor mechanics tasks. They are also the losers who end up with poor
>>> outcomes - as with Les' 4AGE(20) engine, where not having a clue
>>> about the *theory* leads to disastrous outcomes for the car owners.
>>> Ditto with hoist use, the *theory* of CofG needs to be known and well
>>> understood before losers are even let near one of those pieces of
>>> garage equipment. Hey, that *unbalanced* hoist caper was with Les'
>>> car too, wasn't it? The *rear* hoist points level with the back of
>>> the drivers seat! Hahahahahahhaha  In a mid engined car!
>>> Hahahahhahahhaha   What a clown!
>>>

>> Worse the idiotic backpedaling after learning that he was using the
>> wrong points - and finding out where the correct points were.
>
> And he had *access* to the manual, sort of. It was in *Daryl's*
> possession, not where the car was being hoisted. It showed the
> *correct*hoist and *jacking* points but it was treated with disdain by
> the theory-phobic twins. No need for theory, they argue. Yeah, right!
>>
>> It was as pathetic as it was laughable. What a totally incompetent
>> pretentious goofball!
>>
> Both of them, classic dumb and dumber.

It's funny how the FLCJC ignore such an obvious display of gross
incompetence yet they make a massive deal about a broken laminated
windscreen that I admitted making a mistake on.

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j2duhdFncqjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8699&group=aus.cars#8699

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:10:27 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 12:10 UTC

On 21/12/2021 9:20 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 21/12/2021 9:55 am, Xeno wrote:

>>> Worse the idiotic backpedaling after learning that he was using the
>>> wrong points - and finding out where the correct points were.
>>
>> And he had *access* to the manual, sort of. It was in *Daryl's*
>> possession, not where the car was being hoisted. It showed the
>> *correct*hoist and *jacking* points but it was treated with disdain
>> by the theory-phobic twins. No need for theory, they argue. Yeah, right!
>>>
>>> It was as pathetic as it was laughable. What a totally incompetent
>>> pretentious goofball!
>>>
>> Both of them, classic dumb and dumber.
>>

> It's funny how the FLCJC ignore such an obvious display of gross
> incompetence yet they make a massive deal about a broken laminated
> windscreen that I admitted making a mistake on.

expecting honesty from the FLCJC is akin to waving your arms and
expecting to fly  :)

--
"his opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<j2e0d1Fnqe5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8700&group=aus.cars#8700

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:42:06 +1100
 by: Xeno - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 12:42 UTC

On 21/12/21 9:20 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 21/12/2021 9:55 am, Xeno wrote:

>>> Worse the idiotic backpedaling after learning that he was using the
>>> wrong points - and finding out where the correct points were.
>>
>> And he had *access* to the manual, sort of. It was in *Daryl's*
>> possession, not where the car was being hoisted. It showed the
>> *correct*hoist and *jacking* points but it was treated with disdain by
>> the theory-phobic twins. No need for theory, they argue. Yeah, right!
>>>
>>> It was as pathetic as it was laughable. What a totally incompetent
>>> pretentious goofball!
>>>
>> Both of them, classic dumb and dumber.
>>

> It's funny how the FLCJC ignore such an obvious display of gross
> incompetence yet they make a massive deal about a broken laminated
> windscreen that I admitted making a mistake on.

Windscreens are not in a mechanic's remit, especially these days. They
probably weren't in my apprenticeship days either but because they were
upgrading the highway at the time, and cars had toughened windsceens, we
had heaps of cars coming in with shattered screens. Did hundreds of
screen replacements. I have to say, most of those screen fits were done
with a rope, quite simple to do. Around the early 70s we began to see
the bonded structural screens fitted to fords and Holdens. I think the
HQ was the first Holden to have a bonded screen. I can't recall what
model of car was my first bonded screen but I still remember the 12 volt
battery connected to each end of the bonding strip. They were of the
hotwire variety with a resistance wire passing through the bonding
strip. 12V for 15-20 minutes and that screen was *glued*. Done properly
they never leaked.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: How to jump start a Volvo with a Ford

<x1fyecc8rrxo$.9vk4z44def93.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8701&group=aus.cars#8701

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 05:04:14 +1000
 by: alvey - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 19:04 UTC

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 18:20:46 +0800, Clocky wrote:

> It's funny how the FLCJC ignore such an obvious display of gross
> incompetence yet they make a massive deal about a broken laminated
> windscreen that I admitted making a mistake on.

That's funny, but then there's the darkly disturbing. When the Fraudster is
caught in an(other) indisputable lie, like the "my father fought in the
Korean War" lie, the only reaction from the Truckwits is the sound of
killfiles being turned up to eleven. Normal people would have immediately
chastised him and dropped the little wretch for that egregious lie, but not
the Truckwits. They're disturbed, and disturbing.

alvey