Satire is what closes Saturday night. -- George Kaufman

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: “This will kill people”: Proposed Highway Code changes will allow self-driving car users to watch TV

SubjectAuthor
* “This will kill people”: Proposed Highway Code cswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: “This will kill people”: ProposedJNugent
`- Re: “This will kill people”: Proposed Highway Coswldx...@gmail.com

1
“This will kill people”: Proposed Highway Code changes will allow self-driving car users to watch TV

<9758b5e0-52f8-43ef-a78a-ed1a53ad0179n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8613&group=uk.rec.cycling#8613

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: “This_will_kill_people”:_Proposed_Highway_Code_c
hanges_will_allow_self-driving_car_users_to_watch_TV
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:49 UTC

Cyclists have criticised proposed changes to the Highway Code which will allow self-driving car users to watch television while in motorway congestion, describing the measures as ‘terrifying’.

The Department for Transport (DfT) today announced (link is external) that, following a public consultation, updates will be made to the Highway Code which will lay out the responsibilities of motorists using self-driving cars.

While vehicles that can drive themselves are currently not permitted on the UK’s roads, the DfT claims that Britain’s first approved self-driving cars “could be ready for use later this year”, with the planned changes set to come into effect this summer to support the early deployment of the technology. A full regulatory framework is expected to be implemented in 2025.

The Highway Code revisions will allow the users of self-driving cars to view content that is not related to driving on built-in screens. However, as the DfT points out, this is likely to only apply when the vehicle is travelling at slow speed, such as in congestion, on motorways.

According to the proposals, motorists must be ready to resume control of the vehicle if prompted, such as on the approach to motorway exits.

It will, however, still be illegal to use mobile phones when the car is in self-driving mode, “given the greater risk they post in distracting drivers”.

The changes will also state that insurance companies, not individual motorists, will be financially liable for crashes involving self-driving cars.

“This is a major milestone in our safe introduction of self-driving vehicles, which will revolutionise the way we travel, making our future journeys greener, safer and more reliable,” Transport minister Trudy Harrison said in a statement.

“This exciting technology is developing at pace right here in Great Britain and we’re ensuring we have strong foundations in place for drivers when it takes to our roads.

“In doing so, we can help improve travel for all while boosting economic growth across the nation and securing Britain’s place as a global science superpower.”

However, the proposed changes have provoked a mixed reaction among cyclists and other road users.

Transport commentator and cycling advocate Christian Wolmar, who sits on the board of the London Cycling Campaign, tweeted in response to the DfT’s statement: “The failure of the government to understand that it is essential to distinguish between fully self-driving cars and Level 3 where full attention is required at all times.

“There is no halfway point where you can watch films but still be ready to take over. This will kill people!”

Illustrator Steven Falk said: “As a keen cyclist, the thought of encountering self-driving cars, with ‘drivers’ watching films rather than the road, terrifies me.”

The Guardian’s political correspondent Peter Walker, however, noted the limited scope of the government’s proposals:

Not all cyclists, it must be said, are opposed to the DfT’s vision of a driverless future:

https://road.cc/content/news/self-driving-car-users-will-be-allowed-watch-tv-292083

Re: “This will kill people”: Proposed Highway Code changes will allow self-driving car users to watch TV

<jcar1cFp974U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8615&group=uk.rec.cycling#8615

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: “This will kill people”: Proposed
Highway_Code_changes_will_allow_self-driving_car_users_to_watch_T
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:34:52 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:34 UTC

> Fairy-cyclists have criticised proposed changes to the Highway Code which will allow self-driving car users to watch television while in motorway congestion, describing the measures as ‘terrifying’.

What does it have to do with fairy-cyclists?

They aren't supposed to be on the motorway anyway.

> [...]
>
> “There is no halfway point where you can watch films but still be ready to take over. This will kill people!”
>
> Illustrator Steven Falk said: “As a keen fairy-cyclist, the thought of encountering self-driving cars, with ‘drivers’ watching films rather than the road, terrifies me.”
>
> The Guardian’s political correspondent Peter Walker, however, noted the limited scope of the government’s proposals:
>
> Not all fairy-cyclists, it must be said, are opposed to the DfT’s vision of a driverless future:
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/self-driving-car-users-will-be-allowed-watch-tv-292083

Re: “This will kill people”: Proposed Highway Code changes will allow self-driving car users to watch TV

<26ae37fa-d4e6-44a3-8f0b-8860e9bff9dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8617&group=uk.rec.cycling#8617

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_“This_will_kill_people”:_Proposed_Highway_Co
de_changes_will_allow_self-driving_car_users_to_watch_TV
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:37 UTC

makadu | 47 posts | 2 hours ago
0 likes

As I see it there are two issues here the least significant of which is watching TV on the cars own screen - if you assume that when the car requires the driver to take over it will stop showing TV on its in built screen then this is not such an issue, although this also relies on the automated vehicle being a "better" driver than most humans.

The presumed lack of driver culpability is a major flaw - as I see it any accident or dangerous driving involving one of these cars under manual control and the driver will claim it was being auto driven, this will then place a burden of proof on the police/CPS to obtain evidence and prove the car was in manual mode at the time.

If all this has to be done within the 14 day NIP then the practical outcome of this is that only the most serious of accidents are likely to result in any evidence gathering that leads to a prosecution, so basically the already slim chance of being prosecuted for bad driving is now reduced to near zero as all you have to do is reply on the NIP that the vehicle was in auto mode so speak to the insurance company.