Don't hit me!! I'm in the Twilight Zone!!!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

SubjectAuthor
* All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hullswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in HullJNugent
+* Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hullswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in HullJNugent
+* Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hullswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in HullJNugent
|`- Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in HullSpike
+- Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hullswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hullswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in HullSpike
+* Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hullswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in HullSpike
`- Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hullswldx...@gmail.com

1
All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<91c07b92-b016-43c0-9d5c-3624afb071a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8584&group=uk.rec.cycling#8584

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:11:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:11 UTC

A move to make all-day bus lane enforcement permanent in Hull has been backed by city council leaders.

The switch to issuing fixed penalty notices to drivers using the lanes between 7am and 6.30pm Monday to Saturday was originally made under an experimental traffic order issued in July 2020. Before then, enforcement using cameras equipped with automatic number plate recognition technology was only carried out during peak morning and late-afternoon periods.

Last month Hull City Council was forced to suspend enforcement after the experimental order expired without having a new permanent one in place. The blunder left the council without any legal powers to issue the normal £60 penalty notices to motorists caught using the lanes.

The authority also admitted a large number of motorists had wrongly been issued with penalty notices because of the mix-up. It asked drivers not to use the lanes until the new order was officially in place.

Now, after a statutory period of public consultation on the proposed new order, council leader Daren Hales has signed a decision record authorising the 7am to 6.30pm Monday to Saturday enforcement hours to become permanent. Unless the decision is subject to a call-in by opposition councillors, the new order will come into force on April 26.

Only three objections were received from members of the public during the recent consultation. They all claimed that all-day bus lanes were causing more congestion on the city's roads and making air quality worse through increased pollution.

In a comment supporting the case for all-day bus lanes, transport portfolio holder Councillor Dean Kirk said: "I support the decision to make these traffic regulation orders permanent. Operating the bus lanes across the day has improved the reliability and punctuality of the bus services. It is essential that we support travel behaviour change and a shift towards using more sustainable forms of transport as part of achieving our long-term objectives associated with climate change, transport, health and wellbeing."

In a separate response, bus operator Stagecoach said; "Giving buses priority over other traffic makes a clear statement that sustainable travel is the right choice for short journeys and the measures make buses a more attractive option. There is evidence to suggest Hull’s bus patronage levels are rebuilding faster than other areas as a consequence."
The one-way route for vehicles in High Street will soon become a two-way route for cyclists.

The move will also establish all-day enforcement on new bus lanes on Ferensway and Spring Bank. Another experimental traffic order now being made permanent covers the restriction of access for vehicles from Baker Street to Prospect Street in the city centre and a one-way exit onto Prospect Street from nearby Wright Street.

Proposals to introduce contra-flow cycle lanes in one-way streets across the city centre have also been approved in the decision record report. This will allow cyclists to use the streets as two-way routes in an area stretching from the Fruit Market and the Old Town across to the streets leading to Freetown Way.

Speaking to Hull Live recently, a council spokesperson said: "Allowing cyclists to ride two-way in one-way streets makes cycling in towns and cities more convenient by opening up the street network and providing short-cuts. It can also help make cycling safer by offering alternatives to busy roads, and may help stop people riding on the pavement."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/day-bus-lane-rules-set-6969960

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<jca6h7FlbhqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8585&group=uk.rec.cycling#8585

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 11:44:56 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:44 UTC

On 20/04/2022 11:11 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
>
> Proposals to introduce contra-flow fairy-cycle lanes in one-way streets across the city centre have also been approved in the decision record report. This will allow fairy-cyclists to use the streets as two-way routes in an area stretching from the Fruit Market and the Old Town across to the streets leading to Freetown Way.
>
> Speaking to Hull Live recently, a council spokesperson said: "Allowing fairy-cyclists to ride two-way in one-way streets makes fairy-cycling in towns and cities more convenient by opening up the street network and providing short-cuts. It can also help make fairy-cycling safer by offering alternatives to busy roads, and may help stop people riding on the pavement."

[We'll believe that last bit when we see it.]

> https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/day-bus-lane-rules-set-6969960

It's very enterprising of 'Ull council to operate a 24/7/52 bus service.

Is it very busy at night?

And on Christmas Day?

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<473af194-4b93-4f92-b5ea-00c30d1bae11n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8592&group=uk.rec.cycling#8592

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:19 UTC

29 min ago

Sounds like you are or like the man who doesn't care about pedestrians crossing at a crossing when the light was green for them and red for the vehicles, who then insulted the pedestrians crossing the road asking to hurry up, he swore at him. And it is the first time I felt compelled to stand up to a motorist with road rage, and told him he needed to wait his turn, the light is red for traffic, he's an idiot and should be allowed on the road. Most pedestrians are cyclists and also motorists we are not one or the other, we travel in different ways at different times, but the way some people drive in Hull at 50mph in 30mph zones with no speed camera and abuse pedestrians, and other road users is appalling.

WELL SAID.

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<jcahb8Fnec9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8597&group=uk.rec.cycling#8597

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:49:29 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 13:49 UTC

> 29 min ago
>
> Sounds like you are or like the man who doesn't care about pedestrians crossing at a crossing when the light was green for them and red for the vehicles, who then insulted the pedestrians crossing the road asking to hurry up, he swore at him. And it is the first time I felt compelled to stand up to a motorist with road rage, and told him he needed to wait his turn, the light is red for traffic, he's an idiot and should be allowed on the road. Most pedestrians are cyclists and also motorists we are not one or the other, we travel in different ways at different times, but the way some people drive in Hull at 50mph in 30mph zones with no speed camera and abuse pedestrians, and other road users is appalling.
>
> WELL SAID.

Total and utter *rubbish*.

Most pedestrians are NOT fairy-cyclists.

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<d3ddc7db-05a1-4117-99c2-3d6091cb6455n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8609&group=uk.rec.cycling#8609

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:36 UTC

11 min ago

Even if bus lanes were got rid of tomorrow, they’d be unusable. Why? Because people would park cars all the way along them.

You know it’s true.

And few drivers would have a problem with this. The bland excuses offered would all be along the lines of: “You don’t know what the driver of that giant SUV’s situation was.”

I'VE ALWAYS SAID THIS - THEY JUST PARK THERE AND BLOCK THE ROADS ANYWAY.

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<jcar45Fp974U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8616&group=uk.rec.cycling#8616

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:36:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:36 UTC

> 11 min ago
>
> Even if bus lanes were got rid of tomorrow, they’d be unusable. Why? Because people would park cars all the way along them.
>
> You know it’s true.

Even with double yellow lines and marauding wardens?

They must be a lawless lot in 'Ull.

> And few drivers would have a problem with this. The bland excuses offered would all be along the lines of: “You don’t know what the driver of that giant SUV’s situation was.”
>
> I'VE ALWAYS SAID THIS - THEY JUST PARK THERE AND BLOCK THE ROADS ANYWAY.

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<a24485e0-505b-4c1b-8410-3824f36a8986n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8618&group=uk.rec.cycling#8618

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:39:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:39 UTC

3 hrs ago

It causes more anger and division in Hull than Brexit or gender neutral status.

Most people are pedestrians, cyclists, bus users and motorists we are not one or the other, I have seen more bad car drivers than cyclists. Cars driving way over the 30 mph speed limit in residential areas across Hull were we need speed cameras and abuse from one driver whilst crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing, abusing pedestrians crossing whilst it's a red light for traffic and green for pedestrians, I felt complied to tell him to wait and he was being an idiot, because it was just out of order, to receive such abuse near East Park, a middle aged man who should no better, probably a Brexit and Boris supporter.

As for the issue of cycle and bus lanes, some advocate backing the Lib Dems, but the facts are Mike Ross has complained about cycle lanes, he as not stated publicly or via leaflets he would return things back to 'normal'. If they gain 3councillors they will deprive Hull's Labour Party control of the council it will be in 'no overall control' like back in the 2000's before the Lib Dems came to power under Carl Minns and faced critics.

If they had not complied with cycle/bus lanes they were told by Boris along with other councils Conservative, Labour, Green, Lib Dem and no overall control they would not receive additional money for roads, if they rejected it due to the fact it might increase congestion, many would have said, they complain about lack of funding then refused funding for Hull, typical Labour, so either way they could not win! I believe the cycle lanes have caused increased congestion and many motorists are against them and there are also many cycles who support the cycle and bus lanes too. I repeat again on here this is not something unique to Hull.

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<jcchr7F4o3vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8619&group=uk.rec.cycling#8619

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:10:18 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 08:10 UTC

On 20/04/2022 15:36, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> 11 min ago

> Even if bus lanes were got rid of tomorrow, they’d be unusable. Why? Because people would park cars all the way along them.

> You know it’s true.

> And few drivers would have a problem with this. The bland excuses offered would all be along the lines of: “You don’t know what the driver of that giant SUV’s situation was.”

> I'VE ALWAYS SAID THIS - THEY JUST PARK THERE AND BLOCK THE ROADS ANYWAY.

YOU WON'T LIKE GLASGOW THEN THEY ARE SPENDING HALF A MILLION BUCKS ON
ROAD BASED CYCLE SHELTERS BUT THEY WILL HAVE LIGHTS AND REFLECTORS HOW
LONG DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE BEFORE A CYCLIST CRASHES INTO THEM NOT LONG
I BET

--
Spike

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<2d0e7633-fda0-4b3a-978b-806ed7e8955fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8625&group=uk.rec.cycling#8625

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 02:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:55 UTC

13 hrs ago

This news keeping the bus lanes and ridiculous cycle lanes while adding to motorists misery and pollution to the already ridiculous costs motorists pay to use our roads will hopefully see a long overdue change of council to the lib dems,who will hopefully change the mess this labour councils made of our roads! They’ll certainly lose mine and my wife’s vote this may!

12 hrs ago

The Lib Dem’s and Tories also wish to keep them with some modifications, they are in place in most towns and cities it’s not just in Hull.

INDEED.

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<jccp7aF60q7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8631&group=uk.rec.cycling#8631

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:16:13 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:16 UTC

On 21/04/2022 09:55, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> 13 hrs ago

> This news keeping the bus lanes and ridiculous cycle lanes while adding to motorists misery and pollution to the already ridiculous costs motorists pay to use our roads will hopefully see a long overdue change of council to the lib dems,who will hopefully change the mess this labour councils made of our roads! They’ll certainly lose mine and my wife’s vote this may!

> 12 hrs ago

> The Lib Dem’s and Tories also wish to keep them with some modifications, they are in place in most towns and cities it’s not just in Hull.

> INDEED.

WE CAN'T POINT TO A SINGLE CYCLIST THAT HAS BEEN SAVED BY CYCLE LANES

--
Spike

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<cc65fb14-9dca-4508-96e6-f7ba4760c2d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8633&group=uk.rec.cycling#8633

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 03:18:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:18 UTC

20 hrs ago

Only if the pedestrian only route does not contain dedicated cycle lanes.

Many cyclists are killed by riding on busy roads that are not safe. You have to think of how you would feel if a loved one of yours died because they were dragged under a bus or a lorry.

Lorries travelling at speed cause draught. Draught from an LGV, especially during windy periods can drag a cyclists under the trailer of the wagon.

I am a pedestrian. And after some of the sights I have seen, I much prefer cyclists riding on pavements unless proper cycle lanes are provided.

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<jccpj6F60q7U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8637&group=uk.rec.cycling#8637

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:22:33 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:22 UTC

On 21/04/2022 10:18, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> 20 hrs ago

> Lorries travelling at speed cause draught. Draught from an LGV, especially during windy periods can drag a cyclists under the trailer of the wagon.

How many cases of a cyclist being dragged under a lorry trailer by wind
can you point to?

> I am a pedestrian. And after some of the sights I have seen, I much prefer cyclists riding on pavements unless proper cycle lanes are provided.

I am a pedestrian. And after some of the sights I have seen, I much
prefer cyclists NOT riding on pavements AT ALL.

--
Spike

Re: All-day bus lane rules set to be made permanent in Hull

<45bc2422-981a-475c-a20c-b6339af6020bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8638&group=uk.rec.cycling#8638

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 03:23:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:23 UTC

The Lib Dems have complained about the issue in Hull on their election leaflets but, have not outright said they will scrap them if you look, if they gain three councillors they will deprive Hull's Labour Party control of the council it will be in 'no overall control' like back in the 2000's before the Lib Dems came to power and also faced critism over recycling changes and Carl Minns was city council leader. No Hull does not always vote Labour!

Some other Lib Dem parties elsewhere have supported the changes to bus lanes in other towns and cities across the country, Labour opposed them in Brighton for example against the Green majority council.

I repeat again on here this is not something unique to Hull. Some would also point out the limited access to vehicles in York city centre, which has not hurt their economy.