There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Tyre Extinguishers (fairy-cyclists) strike again, targeting SUVs in wealthy London areas

SubjectAuthor
* Tyre Extinguishers strike again, targeting SUVs in wealthy London areasswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Tyre Extinguishers (fairy-cyclists) strike again, targeting SUVsJNugent

1
Tyre Extinguishers strike again, targeting SUVs in wealthy London areas

<f4f92dbc-9268-45de-bcaa-cbcf20a233ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8685&group=uk.rec.cycling#8685

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 03:06:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Tyre Extinguishers strike again, targeting SUVs in wealthy London areas
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:06 UTC

Tyre Extinguishers (link is external), the activist group that targets SUVs due to the damage the vehicles cause to the environment as well as the risk they pose to vulnerable road users including cyclists struck again in London last night, letting the air out of the tyres of 120 vehicles and leaving behind leaflets explaining to the owners why they had taken the action.

The direct action group, one of whose members we interviewed in the latest edition of the road.cc Podcast, undertook its latest direct action intervention in several affluent areas of the capital – namely Hampstead, Primrose Hill, Paddington and Kensington.

The group is calling for “bans on SUVs in urban areas, pollution levies to tax SUVs out of existence, and massive investment in free, comprehensive public transport. But until politicians make this a reality, Tyre Extinguishers’ action will continue,” they add.

According to Department for Transport figures, some 74 per cent of SUVs are registered to owners with addresses in cities, and affluent boroughs in the capital account for six in 10 sales of such vehicles.

A spokesperson for Tyre Extinguishers said: “We are facing the greatest challenge humanity has ever faced. The climate crisis is an existential emergency.

“To safeguard a habitable world, we need to move off of fossil fuels as fast as possible. As the Just Stop Oil campaign has exposed, the first step is to stop all new fossil fuel licenses. This is a basic, common sense policy for meaningful climate action.

“This action was taken because removing SUVs from urban areas is a necessary part of reducing unnecessary fossil fuel demand, supporting the energy transition, and securing a habitable world.

“Three quarters of these 'off-road' vehicles are purchased by people living in towns or cities. We cannot allow SUVs to continue the incineration of our planet. Owning an SUV is dangerous. It can no longer be accepted..

“Just Stop Oil, Just Stop SUVs,” they added.

Besides London, the movement – which similar to Critical Mass has no formal organisational structure and has supporters worldwide – has previously targeted SUVs in UK cities including Brighton & Hove and Edinburgh, and further afield in places including Zurich in Switzerland and Colorado in the US, and has also received requests for its leaflets to be translated into languages including French and Italian.

https://road.cc/content/news/tyre-extinguishers-strike-again-targeting-suvs-london-292175

Re: Tyre Extinguishers (fairy-cyclists) strike again, targeting SUVs in wealthy London areas

<jcibivF864fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8688&group=uk.rec.cycling#8688

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Tyre Extinguishers (fairy-cyclists) strike again, targeting SUVs
in wealthy London areas
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 14:00:16 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 13:00 UTC

On 23/04/2022 11:06 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Tyre Extinguishers (link is external), the activist group that targets SUVs due to the damage the vehicles cause to the environment as well as the risk they pose to vulnerable road users including fairy-cyclists struck again in London last night, letting the air out of the tyres of 120 vehicles and leaving behind leaflets explaining to the owners why they had taken the action.

4/10 for punctuation, or rather, the lack thereof.

Could do better.

Or perhaps they couldn't.

> The direct action group, one of whose members we interviewed in the latest edition of the road.cc Podcast, undertook its latest direct action intervention in several affluent areas of the capital – namely Hampstead, Primrose Hill, Paddington and Kensington.
>
> The group is calling for “bans on SUVs in urban areas, pollution levies to tax SUVs out of existence, and massive investment in free, comprehensive public transport. But until politicians make this a reality, Tyre Extinguishers’ action will continue,” they add.

Criminal damage.

Punishable by a prison term of up to ten years, under Section 4 of the
1971 Criminal Damage Act.

Everyone with an IQ of over 85 knows that deflating the tyres of a motor
vehicle is a particularly dangerous action and deserves exemplary
punishment.

> According to Department for Transport figures, some 74 per cent of SUVs are registered to owners with addresses in cities, and affluent boroughs in the capital account for six in 10 sales of such vehicles.

So what?

You can say the same for HGVs. And aircraft.

> A spokesperson for Tyre Extinguishers said: “We are facing the greatest challenge humanity has ever faced. The climate crisis is an existential emergency.
> “To safeguard a habitable world, we need to move off of fossil fuels as fast as possible. As the Just Stop Oil campaign has exposed, the first step is to stop all new fossil fuel licenses. This is a basic, common sense policy for meaningful climate action.
> “This action was taken because removing SUVs from urban areas is a necessary part of reducing unnecessary fossil fuel demand, supporting the energy transition, and securing a habitable world.
> “Three quarters of these 'off-road' vehicles are purchased by people living in towns or cities. We cannot allow SUVs to continue the incineration of our planet. Owning an SUV is dangerous. It can no longer be accepted.
> “Just Stop Oil, Just Stop SUVs,” they added.
> Besides London, the movement – which similar to Critical Mass has no formal organisational structure and has supporters worldwide – has previously targeted SUVs in UK cities including Brighton & Hove and Edinburgh, and further afield in places including Zurich in Switzerland and Colorado in the US, and has also received requests for its leaflets to be translated into languages including French and Italian.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/tyre-extinguishers-strike-again-targeting-suvs-london-292175

Typical road.cc anti-social filth.