Illiterate? Write today, for free help!

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Helmet Speakers

SubjectAuthor
* Helmet Speakerssweller
+- Helmet SpeakersTim
+* Helmet Speakerswessie
|+- Helmet SpeakersStephen Packer
|`- Helmet Speakerssweller
+- Helmet SpeakersMike Fleming
`* Helmet SpeakersCab
 +- Helmet SpeakersCab
 `* Helmet SpeakersStephen Packer
  `* Helmet SpeakersChamp
   `* Helmet SpeakersStephen Packer
    +* Helmet Speakersogden
    |`* Helmet SpeakersChamp
    | `- Helmet SpeakersSqirrel99
    `* Helmet SpeakersMike Fleming
     `- Helmet SpeakersSalad Dodger

1
Helmet Speakers

<j8es10F6vu0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8606&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8606

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Helmet Speakers
Date: 4 Mar 2022 16:11:12 GMT
 by: sweller - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 16:11 UTC

Any recommendations for bluetooth helmet speakers?

I'm not interested in two-way comms - I never have a pillion and only
tend to ride in a group with Mark and Steve and why would I want to
talk to them?

Phone, audio playback and possibly sat nav.

This has nothing to do with having a new bike.

--
Simon

Re: Helmet Speakers

<svv5kr$5l1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8617&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8617

From: nob...@home.co.uk (Tim)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Helmet Speakers
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 08:05:44 +0000
 by: Tim - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 08:05 UTC

On 04/03/2022 16:11, sweller wrote:

> Any recommendations for bluetooth helmet speakers?

Interphone. https://www.interphone.com/en-gb/Interphone/Intercoms/c-0079

I have one which works well with the GPS and also has a reasonable FM
receiver.

Re: Helmet Speakers

<XnsAE51772926645wtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8622&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8622

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:42:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 11:42 UTC

"sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:j8es10F6vu0U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Any recommendations for bluetooth helmet speakers?
>
> I'm not interested in two-way comms - I never have a pillion and only
> tend to ride in a group with Mark and Steve and why would I want to
> talk to them?
>
> Phone, audio playback and possibly sat nav.
>
> This has nothing to do with having a new bike.

after much hunting of the various bits, I seem to have the complete kit
assembled of a Cardo Scala Qz sans USB charging lead. Surplus to
requirements.

It has the same function as the regular Scala but stripped of the
intercom function.

It paired okay with my Garmin Zumo 390 and my old Moto G5 phone. I
preferred to use it with in ear buds rather than the supplied helmet
speakers. The phone supplied Radio 4, Test Match Special or music from
Spotify. I never used it for phone calls and unplugged the boom mic.

After using it for a few rides I decided to go back to using SNR35 ear
plugs. I prefer to use satnav visually only and found that I had to have
the music up so high to overcome the hideous wind noise generated by the
Yamaha Tracer's piss poor screen, even with a Puig spoiler. I have not
tried it with subsequent bikes.

I could have bought some Ultimate Ear or similar, custom made, noise
cancelling ear buds but I didn't think the cost-benefit ratio was for
me.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/cardo-scala-rider-qz-review/ has a review

It's no longer available new. I think I had one from Amazon's last batch
as it seemed relatively cheap at the time at �75 in 2016. Full intercom
ones were twice the price.

You can have it for a charity donation. I can bring it to the White
Horse in Rottingdean at the end of next month (Thurs 28th) if you fancy
a pint with Scraggy, his SO and me, or post it. We catch the Newhaven
ferry the day after.

Re: Helmet Speakers

<2d30910a-01ca-4fa1-8d0a-f3642aca3070n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8623&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8623

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 04:58:30 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 12:58 UTC

On Saturday, 5 March 2022 at 11:42:53 UTC, wessie wrote:
> "sweller" <swe...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:j8es10F6vu0U1
> @mid.individual.net:
> >
> > Any recommendations for bluetooth helmet speakers?
> >
> > I'm not interested in two-way comms - I never have a pillion and only
> > tend to ride in a group with Mark and Steve and why would I want to
> > talk to them?
> >
> > Phone, audio playback and possibly sat nav.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with having a new bike.
> >
> after much hunting of the various bits, I seem to have the complete kit
> assembled of a Cardo Scala Qz sans USB charging lead. Surplus to
> requirements.

<snip>

That's the same one I have.

It interfaces well enough to my Garmin sat nav and via that to the phone.

I've managed to play music via the phone, both stored on the phone and
via apps on the phone (plus there's a native spotify client on the Garmin
GPS).

It's been mostly reliable and a charge plays music/phone use all day.

Been a long time since I've used it though!

Re: Helmet Speakers

<j8hsr5Foks7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8636&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8636

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 19:43:32 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 19:43 UTC

On 04/03/2022 16:11, sweller wrote:

> Any recommendations for bluetooth helmet speakers?
>
> I'm not interested in two-way comms - I never have a pillion and only
> tend to ride in a group with Mark and Steve and why would I want to
> talk to them?
>
> Phone, audio playback and possibly sat nav.
>
> This has nothing to do with having a new bike.

I have an Interphone F3MC (obsolete) on one helmet and a Uclear Motion
on the other. Both work well. I think I can pair more than 2 devices to
the Uclear though I have yet to experiment on that front. The top end
Uclear Motion devices can be controlled by gesticulating at them.

Re: Helmet Speakers

<j8ja3tF248eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8645&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8645

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 6 Mar 2022 08:36:13 GMT
 by: sweller - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 08:36 UTC

wessie wrote:

> You can have it for a charity donation. I can bring it to the White
> Horse in Rottingdean at the end of next month (Thurs 28th) if you
> fancy a pint with Scraggy, his SO and me, or post it. We catch the
> Newhaven ferry the day after.

That's very decent of you - I'm away with work that day though.

Drop me an email simon @ postingname .co.uk

--
Simon

Re: Helmet Speakers

<xn0nf5qx252qkh3000@www.rosbif.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8667&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8667

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 07:20:17 +0000
 by: Cab - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 07:20 UTC

sweller wibbled:

> Any recommendations for bluetooth helmet speakers?
>
> I'm not interested in two-way comms - I never have a pillion and only
> tend to ride in a group with Mark and Steve and why would I want to
> talk to them?
>
> Phone, audio playback and possibly sat nav.
>
> This has nothing to do with having a new bike.

Funnily enough, I've taken delivery of one of these recently (it's also
got a built in camera, which was my primary need). I had my first call
from the SO yesterday (I don't normally connect the bluetooth, but I
did yesterday, to hear Waze warnings) and she could hear me perfectly.

It's got pretty decent reviews too.

https://tinyurl.com/MaxtoM3

--
Cab
Z1000 and CB1300 and VeloSolex 3800

Re: Helmet Speakers

<xn0nf5vn95flaz000@www.rosbif.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8669&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8669

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:19:52 +0000
 by: Cab - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:19 UTC

Cab wibbled:

> sweller wibbled:
>

> > Any recommendations for bluetooth helmet speakers?
> >
> > I'm not interested in two-way comms - I never have a pillion and
> > only tend to ride in a group with Mark and Steve and why would I
> > want to talk to them?
> >
> > Phone, audio playback and possibly sat nav.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with having a new bike.
>
> Funnily enough, I've taken delivery of one of these recently (it's
> also got a built in camera, which was my primary need). I had my
> first call from the SO yesterday (I don't normally connect the
> bluetooth, but I did yesterday, to hear Waze warnings) and she could
> hear me perfectly.
>
> It's got pretty decent reviews too.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/MaxtoM3

Bad form, etc. The Chinese English accent does take some getting used
to, but overall, I'm pretty happy.

--
Cab
Z1000 and CB1300 and VeloSolex 3800

Re: Helmet Speakers

<d40b5b92-3d96-4127-ba3a-6e37ac1d028dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8673&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8673

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 04:25:43 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:25 UTC

On Wednesday, 9 March 2022 at 07:29:56 UTC, Cab wrote:

> Funnily enough, I've taken delivery of one of these recently (it's also
> got a built in camera, which was my primary need). I had my first call
> from the SO yesterday (I don't normally connect the bluetooth, but I
> did yesterday, to hear Waze warnings) and she could hear me perfectly.

I was quite surprised at how good the speaker/mic setup was for the
unit I have (Cardo Scala QZ). When on my R1100GS doing over 80mph
with a relatively noisy Shoei Neotec flip-front helmet I was able to have
perfectly audible conversations for extended periods of time with the other
party not realising I was riding a motorcycle.

Actually it was the noise cancelling of the microphone that impressed
me the most. Then again I'm fairly easily impressed that any technology
actually works. I'm seriously concerned that since no-one knows anything
top-to-bottom anymore that one day something important is going to stop
working and all that will happen is endless fucking arguments about what's
broken and who is responsible for fixing it.

Re: Helmet Speakers

<nt5i2htslh204j231u5hamm3q2peqssonq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8680&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8680

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 21:10:20 +0000
 by: Champ - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 21:10 UTC

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2347:_Dependency
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Helmet Speakers

<8404e352-0aad-4b82-a4a9-3712acd5c7f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8683&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8683

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:49:56 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 01:49 UTC

On Wednesday, 9 March 2022 at 21:10:22 UTC, Champ wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 04:25:43 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
> <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm seriously concerned that since no-one knows anything
> >top-to-bottom anymore that one day something important is going to stop
> >working and all that will happen is endless fucking arguments about what's
> >broken and who is responsible for fixing it.
> https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2347:_Dependency

Yep. That's pretty much what I fear except the guy in Nebraska isn't
known to anyone architecting the layers above him, isn't aware what his
block is used for and is about to retire... without having documented what
he's been doing for the last 20 years (intelligibly).

Re: Helmet Speakers

<79bbfd9e-73c3-4882-bc7e-5ba5b0d8d936n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8686&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8686

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 02:53:57 -0800 (PST)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 10:53 UTC

stephen...@gmail.com wrote:
> Champ wrote:
> > https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2347:_Dependency
>
> Yep. That's pretty much what I fear except the guy in Nebraska isn't
> known to anyone architecting the layers above him, isn't aware what his
> block is used for and is about to retire... without having documented what
> he's been doing for the last 20 years (intelligibly).

Or, as referenced from that XKCD explainer, he's about to lose his shit and yank his code from the repo.

https://www.theregister.com/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/

Re: Helmet Speakers

<cesj2hdsa141dhorvubi5r0n40h4821f2p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8688&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8688

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 12:41:40 +0000
 by: Champ - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 12:41 UTC

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 02:53:57 -0800 (PST), ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com>
wrote:

>stephen...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Champ wrote:
>> > https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2347:_Dependency

>> Yep. That's pretty much what I fear except the guy in Nebraska isn't
>> known to anyone architecting the layers above him, isn't aware what his
>> block is used for and is about to retire... without having documented what
>> he's been doing for the last 20 years (intelligibly).

>Or, as referenced from that XKCD explainer, he's about to lose his shit and yank his code from the repo.
>
>https://www.theregister.com/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/

That was back in 2016. I'm sure it's all much better now
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Helmet Speakers

<t0d86k$dfe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8693&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8693

From: secret.s...@gmail.com (Sqirrel99)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 16:15:16 +0000
 by: Sqirrel99 - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 16:15 UTC

Champ wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 02:53:57 -0800 (PST), ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> stephen...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Yep. That's pretty much what I fear except the guy in Nebraska isn't
>>> known to anyone architecting the layers above him, isn't aware what his
>>> block is used for and is about to retire... without having documented what
>>> he's been doing for the last 20 years (intelligibly).
>
>> Or, as referenced from that XKCD explainer, he's about to lose his shit and yank his code from the repo.
>>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/
>
> That was back in 2016. I'm sure it's all much better now

<straight_bat>
https://www.theregister.com/2022/01/10/npm_fakerjs_colorsjs/
</straight_bat>

Re: Helmet Speakers

<j90v4oFl8maU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8703&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8703

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:54:46 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:54 UTC

On 10/03/2022 01:49, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 March 2022 at 21:10:22 UTC, Champ wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 04:25:43 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
>> <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm seriously concerned that since no-one knows anything
>>> top-to-bottom anymore that one day something important is going to stop
>>> working and all that will happen is endless fucking arguments about what's
>>> broken and who is responsible for fixing it.
>> https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2347:_Dependency
>
> Yep. That's pretty much what I fear except the guy in Nebraska isn't
> known to anyone architecting the layers above him, isn't aware what his
> block is used for and is about to retire... without having documented what
> he's been doing for the last 20 years (intelligibly).

We've just had something similar happen at work. One-man software house
(who I suspect had just the one customer), who had developed a framework
for us to transfer from COBOL to C#, has just fallen off his perch.

Re: Helmet Speakers

<7rcn2hlbnop5v35ogh7jf85etfdfn0u8ul@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8706&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8706

From: salad.do...@idnet.com (Salad Dodger)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 20:43:33 +0000
 by: Salad Dodger - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 20:43 UTC

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:54:46 +0000, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 10/03/2022 01:49, Stephen Packer wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 9 March 2022 at 21:10:22 UTC, Champ wrote:

>>> https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2347:_Dependency
>>
>> Yep. That's pretty much what I fear except the guy in Nebraska isn't
>> known to anyone architecting the layers above him, isn't aware what his
>> block is used for and is about to retire... without having documented what
>> he's been doing for the last 20 years (intelligibly).
>
>We've just had something similar happen at work. One-man software house
>(who I suspect had just the one customer), who had developed a framework
>for us to transfer from COBOL to C#, has just fallen off his perch.

Way back in the mists of time, when PruVenture was a a thing, their
investment portfolio software was "cobbled together" by a university
acquaintance of the Chief Investment Officer.
Said acquaintance was employed by a well-known consultancy firm, who
totally surprisingly declined to support said software when the
acquaintance left to travel the world.
Share "certificates" were found in a variety of filing cabinets, one
was making itself useful as a coffee cup coaster.
I wonder how much cash simply vanished.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK;GL1800D