Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:18:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: “This_is_not_policing,_this_is_intimidation”:_Al
liance_of_British_Nutters_takes_on_Sheffield_police_over_clo
se_pass_conviction
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 18:18 UTC

What a bunch of selfish morons this shower is.
Telling the police how to do their job. TOSSERS.

The Alliance of British Nutters has described a court’s decision to convict a motorist for careless driving as “idiotic” and “pathetic sucking up the cycling lobby”.

The pro-motoring pressure group was responding to footage of a close pass posted on Twitter by the Sheffield North West Neighbourhood Policing Team – and featured earlier this week on our Near Miss of the Day series – which resulted in the driver receiving a £417 fine and their licence endorsed with five penalty points.

If the motorist is caught driving in a careless or anti-social manner in the twelve months following the incident, their vehicle will also be seized by police.

The footage posted online shows the moment the approaching driver passes a group of cyclists too closely, at what the officers described as “excessive speed”. The police also added that “if anyone thinks this is an acceptable manner of driving, let this be your warning”.

However, the clip was greeted with complaints from motorists who criticised the behaviour of the cyclists, with some arguing that they should have stopped to let the driver pass as they approached the poorly parked car on the left-hand side of the road.

The Alliance of British Nutters, a pro-motoring lobby group known for its anti-cycling stance, launched a prolonged online attack on the court’s decision, retweeting the footage with the caption “If your [sic] weren’t already convinced that the police are out to get you…”

The alliance’s account described the fine and penalty points issued to the driver as an “idiotic decision that undermines the credibility of the courts and the police.

“We all know there are fanatics who want drivers to stop and bow down before every cyclist. If the police foolishly choose to side with them it will damage the relationship with the public,” the account argued..

The alliance claimed that the prosecution was “just pathetic sucking up to the cycling lobby”, and described the police’s publicising of the incident as “vile threats” which “make it abundantly clear whose side you are on”.

“This is not policing, this is intimidation,” the account wrote.

The group also criticised the use of the term “victims” to describe those on the receiving end of close passes, labelling it a “joke”.

The Sheffield North West officers, on the other hand, were keen to dismiss what they described as anti-cycling “whataboutery”, pointing out that if the offending motorist “had simply driven to the conditions at a less dangerous speed and stayed on his own side of the road he wouldn’t have been prosecuted.”

After another Twitter user claimed that it was “strange that we never hear about how many cyclists you prosecute”, the officers replied: “Exactly how many car drivers were killed by cyclists last year David? There’s your reason. We prosecute those whose behaviour is most dangerous.”

Last week, the Alliance of British Nutters’ director Duncan White claimed in an interview with GB News that the recent revisions to the Highway Code “created a false sense of winners and losers” and “entirely failed in creating a sense of shared responsibility for the safety of all road users”.

White also said that the changes, introduced in January to protect vulnerable road users, have resulted in “very provocative behaviour” and even “deliberate” acts of obstruction by cyclists.

The alliance’s Twitter account is known for its provocative and often volatile pro-car outbursts. This morning, the account tweeted that Rod King, the director of road safety campaign 20’s Plenty For Us, “needs to be deported to a third world country before he turns Britain into one”.

https://road.cc/content/news/alliance-british-drivers-takes-sheffield-police-292183

Re: “This is not policing, this is intimidation”: Alliance of British Nutters takes on Sheffield police over close pass conviction

<06dfc412-613e-4610-a86e-8f5b8f60fbcan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8748&group=uk.rec.cycling#8748

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 21:47:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_“This_is_not_policing,_this_is_intimidation”
From: bretcah...@aol.com (Bret Cahill)
 by: Bret Cahill - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 04:47 UTC

> What a bunch of selfish morons this shower is.
> Telling the police how to do their job. TOSSERS.
>
> The Alliance of British Nutters has described a court’s decision to convict a motorist for careless driving as “idiotic” and “pathetic sucking up the cycling lobby”.
>
> The pro-motoring pressure group was responding to footage of a close pass posted on Twitter by the Sheffield North West Neighbourhood Policing Team – and featured earlier this week on our Near Miss of the Day series – which resulted in the driver receiving a £417 fine and their licence endorsed with five penalty points.
>
> If the motorist is caught driving in a careless or anti-social manner in the twelve months following the incident, their vehicle will also be seized by police.

Need to do this in the U.S.

> [...]
>
> White also said that the changes, introduced in January to protect vulnerable road users, have resulted in “very provocative behaviour” and even “deliberate” acts of obstruction by cyclists.
>
> The alliance’s Twitter account is known for its provocative and often volatile pro-car outbursts. This morning, the account tweeted that Rod King, the director of road safety campaign 20’s Plenty For Us, “needs to be deported to a third world country before he turns Britain into one”.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/alliance-british-drivers-takes-sheffield-police-292183

Re: “This is not policing, this is intimidation”: Alliance of British Nutters takes on Sheffield police over close pass conviction

<jckhqfFku60U12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8760&group=uk.rec.cycling#8760

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:58:59 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:58 UTC

On 23/04/2022 18:18, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> What a bunch of selfish morons this shower is

> Telling the police how to do their job. TOSSERS.

So? You're on record complaining about the police when their outcome
doesn't match your opinion.

TOSSER

--
Spike

Re: “This is not policing, this is intimidation”: Alliance of British Nutters takes on Sheffield police over close pass conviction

<f275664f-4d19-4880-a056-fea4fbc8b72an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8768&group=uk.rec.cycling#8768

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 03:25:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 24 Apr 2022 10:25 UTC

> > If the motorist is caught driving in a careless or anti-social manner in the twelve months following the incident, their vehicle will also be seized by police.
> Need to do this in the U.S.

Sadly, this fantastic policy is not UK wide - just a few police forces at present.