You'd better smile when they watch you, smile like you're in control. -- Smile, "Was (Not Was)"

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT: Freecycle offer

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Freecycle offerDavey
+* Re: OT: Freecycle offerNick Odell
|+- Re: OT: Freecycle offerThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: OT: Freecycle offerBrian Gaff
+* Re: OT: Freecycle offerSam Plusnet
|`- Re: OT: Freecycle offerDavey
`* Re: OT: Freecycle offerAdrian Caspersz
 `* Re: OT: Freecycle offerMax Demian
  `* Re: OT: Freecycle offerPaul
   `- Re: OT: Freecycle offerRod Speed

1
OT: Freecycle offer

<ts7u24$1d7bv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88084&group=uk.d-i-y#88084

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: Freecycle offer
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:27:01 +0000
 by: Davey - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:27 UTC

"OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
needs some work. (Thetford)".

Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no speed
control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually end up
running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph is just a
number you pass on the way to ????

I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of stuff.

--
Davey.

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<7m5fuh93ec5me7egb4i15b6pqb2s5lalcc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88093&group=uk.d-i-y#88093

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: Freecycle offer
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:27:52 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:27 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:27:01 +0000, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
wrote:

>"OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
>needs some work. (Thetford)".
>
>Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no speed
>control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually end up
>running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph is just a
>number you pass on the way to ????
>
>I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of stuff.

I dunno: if the item interests you, is it worth going to take a look?

I bought a quite reasonable DSLR camera from eBay for £9.99 even
though the description was the one word: "dead."

I guessed - rightly as it happens - that it just had dirty battery
contacts. A quick clean and - bingo! Everything works.

Nick

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<ts8be8$1ek5o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88103&group=uk.d-i-y#88103

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 15:15:20 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 15:15 UTC

On 11/02/2023 13:27, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:27:01 +0000, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> "OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
>> needs some work. (Thetford)".
>>
>> Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no speed
>> control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually end up
>> running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph is just a
>> number you pass on the way to ????
>>
>> I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of stuff.
>
> I dunno: if the item interests you, is it worth going to take a look?
>
> I bought a quite reasonable DSLR camera from eBay for £9.99 even
> though the description was the one word: "dead."
>
> I guessed - rightly as it happens - that it just had dirty battery
> contacts. A quick clean and - bingo! Everything works.
>
> Nick

Well anyone that wants a completely repaired Stihl pressure washer that
I must have reassembled wrong, cos it still don't fucking work, after
spending more on spare parts than a new washer cost me, can have it, for
free.

I have better things to do than dissemble it yet again and try and work
out which little pingfuckits go which way round in which hole.

Life is too short, and a NON GERMAN piece of kit was cheaper and worked
FAR better and more reliably.

German engineering is utter crap some times.

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<CFTFL.61937$uA%d.54614@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88147&group=uk.d-i-y#88147

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:21:38 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:21 UTC

On 11-Feb-23 11:27, Davey wrote:
> "OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
> needs some work. (Thetford)".
>
> Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no speed
> control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually end up
> running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph is just a
> number you pass on the way to ????
>
> I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of stuff.

But your skills at remote diagnosis are outstanding.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<tsaav4$1nur8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88173&group=uk.d-i-y#88173

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:19:30 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:19 UTC

Yes if this is quite an old design, the speed control could be analogue and
they are notorious for drift in the servo. However, I would suspect that the
owner has tried to get it fixed and got the usual, its cheaper to get a new
model mantra.
Its a pity as a lot of older exercise gear was accessible as it had knobs,
the new stuff is touch screen and hence unusable by a blind person.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Nick Odell" <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:27:01 +0000, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>"OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
>>needs some work. (Thetford)".
>>
>>Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no speed
>>control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually end up
>>running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph is just a
>>number you pass on the way to ????
>>
>>I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of stuff.
>
> I dunno: if the item interests you, is it worth going to take a look?
>
> I bought a quite reasonable DSLR camera from eBay for �9.99 even
> though the description was the one word: "dead."
>
> I guessed - rightly as it happens - that it just had dirty battery
> contacts. A quick clean and - bingo! Everything works.
>
> Nick

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<tsad91$1o67f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88178&group=uk.d-i-y#88178

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:58:57 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:58 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:21:38 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 11-Feb-23 11:27, Davey wrote:
> > "OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
> > needs some work. (Thetford)".
> >
> > Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no
> > speed control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually
> > end up running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph
> > is just a number you pass on the way to ????
> >
> > I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of
> > stuff.
>
> But your skills at remote diagnosis are outstanding.

I was suggesting one of many possible problems, speaking from personal
experience. But I will take your recognition of my abilities at face
value, thank you very much.
--
Davey.

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<k4sdveFardgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88261&group=uk.d-i-y#88261

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 15:12:45 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 15:12 UTC

On 11/02/2023 11:27, Davey wrote:
> "OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
> needs some work. (Thetford)".
>
> Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no speed
> control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually end up
> running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph is just a
> number you pass on the way to ????
>
> I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of stuff.

FWIW There's quite a few videos on YouTube on repurposing treadmill
motors into more useful things.

--
Adrian C

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<tsb9jt$1r4ra$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88284&group=uk.d-i-y#88284

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 18:02:37 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 18:02 UTC

On 12/02/2023 15:12, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> On 11/02/2023 11:27, Davey wrote:

>> "OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
>> needs some work. (Thetford)".
>>
>> Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no speed
>> control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually end up
>> running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph is just a
>> number you pass on the way to ????
>>
>> I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of stuff.
>>

> FWIW There's quite a few videos on YouTube on repurposing treadmill
> motors into more useful things.

Not hard as there's not much point in running nowhere. Sounds like the
sort of thing they might have in prison as a punishment.

--
Max Demian

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<tsch7n$22bs4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88339&group=uk.d-i-y#88339

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 00:18:48 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 05:18 UTC

On 2/12/2023 1:02 PM, Max Demian wrote:
> On 12/02/2023 15:12, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>> On 11/02/2023 11:27, Davey wrote:
>
>>> "OFFER: CITYSPORTS walking treadmill, speed goes up to 6mph, machine
>>> needs some work. (Thetford)".
>>>
>>> Ah, ok, 'needs some work'. This probably means that there is no speed
>>> control, we had one like that. You walk along and eventually end up
>>> running like hell trying to keep up with the machine. 6 mph is just a
>>> number you pass on the way to ????
>>>
>>> I will pass on that offer. My DIY does not reach to that kind of stuff.
>>>

>> FWIW There's quite a few videos on YouTube on repurposing treadmill motors into more useful things.
>
> Not hard as there's not much point in running nowhere. Sounds like the sort of thing they might have in prison as a punishment.

If you have heart trouble, they make you run on a treadmill :-)

So if you were thinking "I would rather die than run on a treadmill",
you probably will :-)

That's called a Cardiac Stress Test by the way. I presume they are hiding the
Crash Cart nearby. But can't bring it out in the open, as
that would scare the patient.

Paul

Re: OT: Freecycle offer

<op.10ahezmfbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88340&group=uk.d-i-y#88340

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:26:49 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 05:26 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:18:48 +1100, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 2/12/2023 1:02 PM, Max Demian wrote:

>>> FWIW There's quite a few videos on YouTube on repurposing treadmill
>>> motors into more useful things.
>> Not hard as there's not much point in running nowhere. Sounds like the
>> sort of thing they might have in prison as a punishment.

> If you have heart trouble, they make you run on a treadmill :-)

But do monitor your heart activity while they do that.

> So if you were thinking "I would rather die than run on a treadmill",
> you probably will :-)

Nope.

> That's called a Cardiac Stress Test by the way. I presume they are
> hiding the
> Crash Cart nearby.

No they don't.