<Crow_> hmm, is there a --now-dammit option for exim?

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Shed Teleport

SubjectAuthor
* Shed TeleportAdrian Caspersz
+- Shed TeleportNick Odell
+- Shed TeleportTease'n'Seize
+- Shed TeleportThomas Prufer
+- Shed Teleportmaus
+- Shed TeleportAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* Shed TeleportSam Plusnet
|`* Shed TeleportAhem A Rivet's Shot
| +* Shed TeleportThomas Prufer
| |`- Shed TeleportAhem A Rivet's Shot
| `* Shed TeleportBernard Peek
|  `* Shed TeleportAhem A Rivet's Shot
|   `* Shed Teleportmaus
|    `- Shed TeleportAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* Shed TeleportSam Plusnet
|`* Shed TeleportJohn Williamson
| +* Shed TeleportDon Stockbauer
| |`- Shed TeleportSam Plusnet
| `- Shed TeleportJohn Williamson
`* Shed TeleportMike Fleming
 +- Shed TeleportDon Stockbauer
 +- Shed TeleportSam Plusnet
 `* Shed TeleportRichard Robinson
  +- Shed TeleportDon Stockbauer
  `- Shed TeleportAhem A Rivet's Shot

1
Shed Teleport

<jb5gq7FjntkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8814&group=uk.rec.sheds#8814

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Shed Teleport
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:53:26 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 12:53 UTC

I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.

But thinking of the future ...

How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
corrected of course?

What handshake protocol should be implemented so that as two copies of
yourself should not be in existence at the same time, one can be
reliably terminated without fear?

Will the controlling software update automatically while the unit is in use?

How many kWh of electricity? Can I depend on a UPS battery to cover
power cuts?

--
Adrian C

Re: Shed Teleport

<hv4r4htjmecn69v8a56avn5cbo9tvoe87r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8817&group=uk.rec.sheds#8817

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Shed Teleport
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 14:22:54 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:22 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:53:26 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
<email@here.invalid> wrote:

>I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
>
>But thinking of the future ...
>
>How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
>all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
>corrected of course?
>
>What handshake protocol should be implemented so that as two copies of
>yourself should not be in existence at the same time, one can be
>reliably terminated without fear?
>
>Will the controlling software update automatically while the unit is in use?
>
>How many kWh of electricity? Can I depend on a UPS battery to cover
>power cuts?

YAWallyKDalyAICM5Timeslips

https://archive.org/details/time-slip

Nick

Re: Shed Teleport

<--ydna7UAfRfA9D_nZ2dnUU7-bPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8820&group=uk.rec.sheds#8820

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 15:07:58 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:07 UTC

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

> How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer all of
> ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error corrected of course?

Are we talking about within the solar system, or beyond it?

The packet loss at the heliopause can be quite high so a 7 dimensional parity
check is adbvisable, and to make things worse, other star systems are already
using IPv9 and you do *not* want your DNA getting NATed on the way there, plus
some DNA requires encoding with UTF-48.

Re: Shed Teleport

<29ar4h55kdknfl0475sjsck23hp9tac0r6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8825&group=uk.rec.sheds#8825

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 16:54:56 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 14:54 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:53:26 +0100, Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid> wrote:

>I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
>
>But thinking of the future ...
>
>How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
>all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
>corrected of course?
>
>What handshake protocol should be implemented so that as two copies of
>yourself should not be in existence at the same time, one can be
>reliably terminated without fear?
>
>Will the controlling software update automatically while the unit is in use?
>
>How many kWh of electricity? Can I depend on a UPS battery to cover
>power cuts?

Some of this is actually and seriously answered (ISTR, and in a
back-of-the-envelope way) in the book "The Physics of Star Trek"

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Physics_of_Star_Trek>

(in short: nope.)

Thomas Prufer

Re: Shed Teleport

<slrnt4rihp.5fb.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8831&group=uk.rec.sheds#8831

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 6 Apr 2022 17:13:29 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:13 UTC

On 2022-04-06, Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid> wrote:
> I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
>
> But thinking of the future ...
>
> How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
> all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
> corrected of course?
>
> What handshake protocol should be implemented so that as two copies of
> yourself should not be in existence at the same time, one can be
> reliably terminated without fear?
>
> Will the controlling software update automatically while the unit is in use?
>
> How many kWh of electricity? Can I depend on a UPS battery to cover
> power cuts?

Check out the film `The Fly' for problems in transmissions.

Werner Heisenberg outlined the reasons that transmitting stuff would not
work in 1927, and a recent book by Neal Stephenson (forget the name)
backed that up.

--
greymausg@mail.com
That's not a mousehole!

Re: Shed Teleport

<20220406213104.cb09885db44a1b9c7c47acb8@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8844&group=uk.rec.sheds#8844

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:31:04 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:31 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:53:26 +0100
Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid> wrote:

> I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.

There's double that running into my house - the network is no
longer the limiting factor.

> But thinking of the future ...
>
> How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
> all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
> corrected of course?

It'll have to carry a lot more than that unless you want your zygote
twin to arrive at the other end in urgent need of a womb for a few months.

> What handshake protocol should be implemented so that as two copies of
> yourself should not be in existence at the same time, one can be
> reliably terminated without fear?

The scan, transmit and destroy approach to matter transmission has
a number of issues most of them covered well in the second Venus
Equilateral volume - although their scanners were too slow for living
things (a very significant problem). The philosophical problem of whether
or not the arrived copy is in fact you or someone else with all your
memories is not insignificant if you survive the scanning process. James
Blish's "Spock Must Die" has fun with that, for that matter McCoy worries
about it on and off throughout Star Trek.

Personally I'm with McCoy on that - it's a copy at the other end
and I'm still here so please don't kill me! Now if we have quantum
tunnelling style teleportation or zero length wormholes to step through
then I'm all for it - but trying to work out how the conservation laws
apply around those things is headache making. Larry Niven had a lot of fun
with that style of teleportation - it's all worth reading IMHO.

> Will the controlling software update automatically while the unit is in
> use?

Probably if we let Microsoft have anything to do with it.

> How many kWh of electricity? Can I depend on a UPS battery to cover
> power cuts?

Very many and probably not.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Shed Teleport

<Vsn3K.22117$4Og.15309@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8848&group=uk.rec.sheds#8848

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:18:44 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:18 UTC

On 06-Apr-22 13:53, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
>
> But thinking of the future ...
>
> How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
> all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
> corrected of course?
>
> What handshake protocol should be implemented so that as two copies of
> yourself should not be in existence at the same time, one can be
> reliably terminated without fear?
>
> Will the controlling software update automatically while the unit is in
> use?
>
> How many kWh of electricity? Can I depend on a UPS battery to cover
> power cuts?

Would it be possible to 'amend' the software in order to delete the
wetware at _both_ ends of the transfer?

Are you sure it can't be done?

Are you really _really_ sure?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Shed Teleport

<Qtn3K.22118$4Og.8396@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8849&group=uk.rec.sheds#8849

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:19:43 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:19 UTC

On 06-Apr-22 13:53, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
>
> But thinking of the future ...
>
> How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
> all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
> corrected of course?
>
> What handshake protocol should be implemented so that as two copies of
> yourself should not be in existence at the same time, one can be
> reliably terminated without fear?
>
> Will the controlling software update automatically while the unit is in
> use?
>
> How many kWh of electricity? Can I depend on a UPS battery to cover
> power cuts?

Who empties the waste container after a few 'terminations'?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Shed Teleport

<20220407065159.0560255ad38315fa978f1139@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8856&group=uk.rec.sheds#8856

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:51:59 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 05:51 UTC

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:18:44 +0100
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible to 'amend' the software in order to delete the
> wetware at _both_ ends of the transfer?

Or keep it, and what about eavesdroppers ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Shed Teleport

<uvvs4hdiq372j18o1ahrs53j6lpp02gd8j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8858&group=uk.rec.sheds#8858

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 08:18:46 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:18 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:51:59 +0100, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:18:44 +0100
>Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to 'amend' the software in order to delete the
>> wetware at _both_ ends of the transfer?
>
> Or keep it, and what about eavesdroppers ?

Stanislaw Lem, "The Star Diaries", "in which a spaceship defect forces Tichy
through a series of time vortices, creating a multitude of temporal copies of
himself."

The multiple Ijon Tichys argue among themselves who must do the work to fix the
spaceship, who didn't, why, and who are you to be telling me what to do. Much
recommended.

There is also a Treznal TV adaptation which IMO captures much of the original
spirit. Ah, one with English subs SFP on Ubend, also appropriate to the question
of multiple copies of self:

https://youtu.be/xO9ppicjlFg

Thomas Prufer

Re: Shed Teleport

<jb7gapFopnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8859&group=uk.rec.sheds#8859

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:57:30 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:57 UTC

On 06/04/2022 22:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> Who empties the waste container after a few 'terminations'?

The mass is converted into energy, stored, and the reverse process is
used to create the next incoming item.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Shed Teleport

<20220407080013.cceb02ed2ad8cf2296369963@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8860&group=uk.rec.sheds#8860

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:00:13 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:00 UTC

On Thu, 07 Apr 2022 08:18:46 +0200
Thomas Prufer <prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:51:59 +0100, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:18:44 +0100
> >Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Would it be possible to 'amend' the software in order to delete the
> >> wetware at _both_ ends of the transfer?
> >
> > Or keep it, and what about eavesdroppers ?
>
> Stanislaw Lem, "The Star Diaries", "in which a spaceship defect forces
> Tichy through a series of time vortices, creating a multitude of temporal
> copies of himself."

Oh yes that one is fun - see also Timemaster - Robert L. Forward
playing with the concept that time travel causes future actions to
constrain the past and that time travel paradoxes can always be resolved
this way (that's a serious bit of real physics with some hairy maths
behind it BTW).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Shed Teleport

<8c16ec1e-0009-42a6-a8ed-705af916903an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8862&group=uk.rec.sheds#8862

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 02:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 09:30 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 3:00:02 AM UTC-5, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:57:30 +0100
> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > On 06/04/2022 22:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> >
> > > Who empties the waste container after a few 'terminations'?
> > >
> > The mass is converted into energy, stored, and the reverse process is
> > used to create the next incoming item.
> The only way to store that much energy is as mass - that's
> basically how the Venus Equilateral version jbexed - at one point Channing
> had to top up the mass reserve so that the receiver could keep molishing
> copies.
>
> A working scan and print style matter transmitter is also a
> replicator with attendant social chaos.
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith
> Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Carry water, if you're an Aquarius (Aquarian, Aquarium???), and chop wood.

Re: Shed Teleport

<jb7t4eF3aclU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8864&group=uk.rec.sheds#8864

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 11:35:58 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 10:35 UTC

On 07/04/2022 08:52, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:57:30 +0100
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/04/2022 22:19, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>
>>> Who empties the waste container after a few 'terminations'?
>>>
>> The mass is converted into energy, stored, and the reverse process is
>> used to create the next incoming item.
>
> The only way to store that much energy is as mass - that's
> basically how the Venus Equilateral version jbexed - at one point Channing
> had to top up the mass reserve so that the receiver could keep molishing
> copies.

Exactly *how* the energy is stored is left as an exercise for the
reader. Neutronium would let you store a lot in a small space. Or
Unobtaiunium...

> A working scan and print style matter transmitter is also a
> replicator with attendant social chaos.

There's probably a Star Trek episode about it. I remember them using it
to miraculously cure someone's illness by using an old, stored,
transporter pattern. I'm not sure how they overcame the lost memories
that would cause, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Shed Teleport

<slrnt4tgus.ms1.bap@localhost.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8865&group=uk.rec.sheds#8865

From: bap...@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 7 Apr 2022 10:58:36 GMT
 by: Bernard Peek - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 10:58 UTC

On 2022-04-07, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:18:44 +0100
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to 'amend' the software in order to delete the
>> wetware at _both_ ends of the transfer?
>
> Or keep it, and what about eavesdroppers ?

Just as worrying is the possible future version od a 'reply-all' loop.

Tom Disch had a different take on teleportation technology in his novel
'Echo Round His Bones.'

--
Bernard Peek
bap@shrdlu.com

Re: Shed Teleport

<20220407141843.6ef77d5163af46fcde21ccab@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8867&group=uk.rec.sheds#8867

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 14:18:43 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:18 UTC

On 7 Apr 2022 10:58:36 GMT
Bernard Peek <bap@shrdlu.com> wrote:

> On 2022-04-07, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 22:18:44 +0100
> > Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Would it be possible to 'amend' the software in order to delete the
> >> wetware at _both_ ends of the transfer?
> >
> > Or keep it, and what about eavesdroppers ?
> >

> Just as worrying is the possible future version od a 'reply-all' loop.

Ugh spam - your unit suddenly disgorges an endless stream of con
artists and used car sellers.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Shed Teleport

<slrnt4trdf.945.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8868&group=uk.rec.sheds#8868

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 7 Apr 2022 13:57:03 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 13:57 UTC

On 2022-04-07, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2022 10:58:36 GMT
> Bernard Peek <bap@shrdlu.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-04-07, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

>> > Or keep it, and what about eavesdroppers ?
>> >

>> Just as worrying is the possible future version od a 'reply-all' loop.
>
> Ugh spam - your unit suddenly disgorges an endless stream of con
> artists and used car sellers.

You missed `Insurance Salesmen'

(Are YOU sure that you can live on your State pension?)

A recent article on the Palmyra Catholic Church (an Opus-Dei like
thingie popular in Spain) wrote that a problem it had in attracting
followers was that their `Pope' is a former Insurance salesman.

--
greymausg@mail.com
That's not a mousehole!

Re: Shed Teleport

<20220407154143.25650110ddc8a53aaa4e0d67@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8869&group=uk.rec.sheds#8869

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 15:41:43 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 14:41 UTC

On 7 Apr 2022 13:57:03 GMT
maus <maus@dmaus.org> wrote:

> You missed `Insurance Salesmen'

I'll take better aim in future.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Shed Teleport

<xoI3K.118765$Mih.11808@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8877&group=uk.rec.sheds#8877

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:07:40 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:07 UTC

On 07-Apr-22 10:30, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> Carry water, if you're an Aquarius (Aquarian, Aquarium???), and chop wood.

Thanks for enlightening us.
What should we do now?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Shed Teleport

<jb93v2FaklsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8879&group=uk.rec.sheds#8879

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:38:39 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:38 UTC

On 06/04/2022 13:53, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
>
> But thinking of the future ...
>
> How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
> all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
> corrected of course?

I remember decades ago when someone referred to "emailing your
relatives", I asked what MIME-Type that would be.

Re: Shed Teleport

<bf28569f-36e8-4792-a0f0-da9223ca111cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8886&group=uk.rec.sheds#8886

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:51:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:51 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 4:38:44 PM UTC-5, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 06/04/2022 13:53, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> > I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
> >
> > But thinking of the future ...
> >
> > How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
> > all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
> > corrected of course?

> I remember decades ago when someone referred to "emailing your
> relatives", I asked what MIME-Type that would be.
On 07-Apr-22 10:30, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> Carry water, if you're an Aquarius (Aquarian, Aquarium???), and chop wood.

Thanks for enlightening us.
What should we do now?

Well , just what it says , carry water and chop wood. anything but engaging in endless dialogue with your conversational opponent.

Re: Shed Teleport

<Hx14K.26713$sMg.3155@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8896&group=uk.rec.sheds#8896

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:11:03 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:11 UTC

On 07-Apr-22 22:38, Mike Fleming wrote:

> I remember decades ago when someone referred to "emailing your
> relatives", I asked what MIME-Type that would be.

What an unspeakable idea.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Shed Teleport

<l4WdnQqdDb-ESc3_nZ2dnUU7-WudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8901&group=uk.rec.sheds#8901

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 19:32:25 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 00:32 UTC

Mike Fleming said:
> On 06/04/2022 13:53, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>> I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
>>
>> But thinking of the future ...
>>
>> How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
>> all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
>> corrected of course?
>
> I remember decades ago when someone referred to "emailing your
> relatives", I asked what MIME-Type that would be.

matter-transport/sentient-life-form

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1437.txt

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Shed Teleport

<92f75866-8b31-4bc9-9e29-bef2fb87d738n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8912&group=uk.rec.sheds#8912

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 02:26 UTC

On Friday, April 8, 2022 at 7:32:31 PM UTC-5, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Mike Fleming said:
> > On 06/04/2022 13:53, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> >> I'm struggling to see a use of 500 Mbit/s at touted for today's broadband.
> >>
> >> But thinking of the future ...
> >>
> >> How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
> >> all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
> >> corrected of course?
> >
> > I remember decades ago when someone referred to "emailing your
> > relatives", I asked what MIME-Type that would be.
> matter-transport/sentient-life-form
>
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1437.txt
>

> --
> Richard Robinson
> "The whole plan hinged upon the natural curiosity of potatoes" - S. Lem
>
> My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Glad to see all the theory has been worked out so it's now just a matter of handing it over to the engineers.

Re: Shed Teleport

<20220409084624.66f0bc3088721f730b22bf92@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8914&group=uk.rec.sheds#8914

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 08:46:24 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 07:46 UTC

On Fri, 08 Apr 2022 19:32:25 -0500
Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:

> matter-transport/sentient-life-form
>
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1437.txt

Non sentient life too it seems:

(A caveat, however, in the reconstitution of Vice-Presidents of the
United States: allegedly, some of the matter-reconstitution schemes
currently under development are reputed to perform less than
optimally while trying to reconstitute areas of relatively high
vacuum; for instance, their skulls. A recommended acceptance test
might be to experiment with subjects whose skulls are only at partial
vacuum, such as Vice-Presidents of Marketing.)